Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

boy are my arms tired posted:

dps unable to properly tott in any mmo always get me, its crazy good but nope, can only punch buttons that cause big numbers

The most annoying thing is that NINs don't even need to mix it into their rotation, they can just pop it on a tank a couple seconds before the boss pull.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Mordiceius posted:

I get the point of cleric stance, I just don't think that it is a good enough reason to keep it.

Cleric Stance is an ability that works as barrier. For good players, it is basically nothing. For bad players, it heavily punishes them.

I think that should Cleric Stance to be kept, it should be redesigned in a way that is more engaging for advanced players and less punishing for new players.

I can't really think of any other abilities in the game that are punishing in the way Cleric Stance is.

Again, CS is a 5-second cooldown. If you hit it a little too early when you liked, you're probably not that screwed. If you hit it at a bad point, you can always use benediction as a WHM, rouse as a SCH, or essential dignity as an AST (admittedly this probably won't be enough but will buy you time until it's off CD). You can also stoneskin as a last resort since that isn't impacted by either INT or MND.

Cleric stance would probably get redesigned and you and the other healers probably still wouldn't use it because you've taken the mindset that healers shouldn't DPS.

People who refuse to use CS are probably the same people that hoard megalixers in mainline FF games and never use them because "hey you never know when you might REALLY need one!"

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Mordiceius posted:

I enjoy DPSing as a healer and would just prefer if DPS spells scaled off Mind. Finding time to DPS while healing already requires you to know whether or not you have the time to cast the spell. You already have to consider "Is this a good time for me to cast Malefic/Stone?" If you spend too much time focusing on DPSing, you're already getting punished. Cleric Stance just feels like an extra punishment on top of that.

Furthermore, healers have to consider mana concerns. I can't just blow all my mana on Gravity/Holy when there's a big pull because if poo poo hits the fan, I'm out of mana for heals.

Well, there's your problem. You need to rethink your mindset to "I'm DPSing right now, do I absolutely need to heal?" and if you do, you drop CS, heal up, get back into CS and go back to DPSing. The nice thing about FFXIV is that fights are scripted. If you know a tankbuster is coming up, you can prep for it.

In any mainline content, MP is rarely a concern as long as you're using shroud/assize/lum aether/ewer when they're up . Sure, you can slow down your gravity / holy spam when your MP gets to a low level and your refresh CDs aren't up.

This seems to be more of an issue of you not wanting to push the buttons you have and you want the game to dumb down and cater to your level when most other healers have figured that out, because it really isn't that hard.

Reiterpallasch posted:

i hoard elixirs in ffv (what if i need them on NED) and always end up regretting it

My legit favorite thing about FF15 is that dungeons force you to spend your well earned elixirs because your max HP drops over time as you fight monsters.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

ImpAtom posted:

Honestly now that it was explained the only real problem I have with Cleric Stance is how annoying it is toggle and I suppose I'll just get used to that. I'm not exactly salivating at the thought of the mechanic but 'sometimes you're punished for bad switching' makes it seem fine. My primary concern with it was that I was switching constantly AND it seemed like a complete waste of time.

I think good game design includes a risk / reward for using certain abilities. This is also true for all tank classes with tank and DPS stances. Tank stances allow you to build threat easily and mitigate damage, whereas DPS stances make you do more damage and in the case of WAR (and a lesser extent, DRK) give you some super sweet abilities to use as well. Someone else already listed things DPS have to juggle that can make or break their DPS. Cleric stance is really no different. Remove it and it kind of becomes a cakewalk class.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
The only thing I disliked about Blitzball was the wait timer to decide what you wanted to do, and that it made the games take longer than necessary. If there's an active thing going on, I could see it working.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I would play Neverreap 9 times out of 10 over ARF. It's a fast and easy dungeon (faster than fractal, actually!), and even as a BLM it's not hard to keep your DPS over 1k for the final boss. I think people just hated it because of how long it was 1 of 2 EXDR dungeons during 3.0.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
So after a vacation away from the game, I'm trying to get back into it, and kind of wanted to try playing with the gamepad (a DS4 on a PS4). Any tips to gamepad play? I've been playing a bit basically with practicing on a dummy, but the menu interface is a little insane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Thanks! Yeah, the hardest part I've gotten used to is targeting, but knowing that holding down buttons does help. I also wasn't aware of the W thing, so I'll definitely do that. I've been practicing on bard and it took me awhile to get the iron jaws timing down after figuring out where I put that button.

I'll probably get a cheap keyboard for typing (a mouse isn't really necessary considering the DS4 touchpad), but yeah I think I'll try this for a bit.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Honest healer: If nothing needs healing, they're not using Cleric Stance and adding DPS, "DPS isn't my job, if I wanted to DPS I wouldn't have queued healer!"

Honest tank: One group of mobs at a time, no chain or multipulls, and you will kill these mobs in the exact order that I mark them. "Respect the content!"

As official Loremaster of this, it's "Respectful Tank" (or Secure PLDs, because PLD is the bestest tank, and clearly needed no buffs at 3.0).

• Locked thread