Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

chocoboat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I got DRK to 54 before maintenance, and picked up Plunge. Does the distance on it--and the animation, actually--feel oddly disappointing to anyone else? :(

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Got Ravana story unlocked this morning. Neat cutscenes. Can't wait to tank him blind tonight :ohdear:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Zanael posted:

My only advice : turn up the volume.

Good music, then? :v:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

fadam posted:

Do DKs have assy threat generation or something? I've seen two different DK MTs have the boss ripped off of them during burn phases by the OT and a BLM.

Far from it, they have ABSURD threat generation in a Dark Arts-empowered Power Slash. Possibly they were burning all their mana on empowered Souleaters instead after the pull and just weren't paying attention. :shrug:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Mazed posted:

So I've barely scratched the surface of the MSQ because I've been having a grand time with the new jobs, and though this probably isn't the first time it's been mentioned here, I wanted to pop in and say :lol: HOLY loving poo poo THE DARK KNIGHT QUESTS. :lol:

Your edgy teenage angst? Nope, that's played. Your secret desire for destruction and bloodshed? Naw, that ain't even a secret. :v: (plus WAR's gotcha covered there) That which fuels your ~inner darkness~ is your irritation with the usual bullshit of being an RPG protagonist. Fetch quests, ungrateful comrades, annoying NPCs, filler after filler, and not even a single good line of dialogue? It added up, and you are your own Fight Club-esque trainer. :allears: It's the finest demonstration of medium-awareness that this game has exhibited yet, and it's wonderful. Jesus gently caress I love the way this game embraces itself.

Also it has given me my newest favorite screenshot of sort-of my character.

Aside from the self-parody, there's a genuine poignant side as well. The climactic turn at the level 50 quest takes place where the local NPCs absolutely hated your guts at first, but openly come out to help you fix yourself. Just, drat, Square-Enix. Well played. :golfclap:

Yeah 30-50 DRK shot straight the hell past PGL for my favorite class/job quest series by fifty loving miles. I hope the 50-60 holds up to that high standard.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I forget, I know LLDR is worth doing for leveling and HLDR isn't, but what about Main Scenario? Do those give enough XP to be worth the time nowadays?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Just hit my first MSQ cockblock at 56.5. As a DRK, is my best/fastest/least painful bet just to keep running The Aery, or should I go do fates/sidequests instead?

Or go play another class or something because :suicide:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Post-Vault cinematics

Geez, they weren't kidding when they said it was Anor Londo the Dungeon. Right down to some fucker getting Ornstein'd right at the end. :v:

:smith:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Far as sidequesting for XP goes, should I clear old old zones or new ones first? I just hit the level 58 cockblock (WOW there was not a lot of MSQ there), and have only done the quests in the Forelands so far.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

bonewitch posted:

The higher level quests are obviously better xp, but its not a bad idea at all to go back and make sure you do the sidequests that reward aether currents in previous zones if you haven't already unlocked flying there.

Oh yeah, I did everything necessary for flight in every zone. I actually rather like the exploration aspect :shobon:. I'm not just sure how I want to go about the 58->59 slog is all, my trials are done for the day and I want to get it today so I can be 60 tomorrow.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Freak Futanari posted:

I just finished the DRK 50 quest, and i want to tell everyone to please play DRK, even if you only do it for the storyline, because it's really good.

wait'll you see the 58 quest, omg

I wonder what the 60 quest will bring, I hope it's good.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I am losing my loving goddamn mind over how amazingly cool the final MSQ trial is :stonklol:

Mechanics question though: At one point I was maintanking the two knights and I just got loving exploded from 12k to dead. Think it was Holy Bladedance or something. Did I just get limit break'd? What do you do about that?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Actually now that I've finished the MSQ, I'm not sure what to do. Play SMN from 50, play DRG from 50, or what. I need a break from DRK (the 60) for a while, I think. :(

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I'm still trying to decide whether to level from 50 SMN, DRG, or BLM now that DRK is 60 and the main story is complete for now. Speak of the merits for me as I am hopeless and cannot choose for myself, as I like them all! :saddowns:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

So are tanks at 60 still buying strength jewelry instead of tank jewelry? Gonna have to start spending Law eventually I suppose.

After I finished the MSQ yesterday I spent a little while getting SMN, DRG and BLM up to 51 in north Thanalan. That way, once I eventually decide which one I want to play (help, all three look fantastically fun :(), I can get started right off with Dusk Vigil, mix that up with what sidequests are remaining to me.

Be nice if duty roulettes granted Law in addition to XP once you've got one 60, so I don't have to decide how to divvy them up every day.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I know the answer is "because pubbies" but I don't understand how people find DRK tanking hard. Do a DA Power Slash once or twice at the start, put up that debuff I can't remember the name of if you don't have a monk, use Blood Price when something's hitting you (not when Ravana's hitting the offtank, you dumbass :cripes:), turn off Grit only when you drat well know there's nothing to tank, job done. Everything else is either the same as the other tanks or just plain cherry on top (doubling up on DA with Dark Passenger or Carve and Spit, DA'ing Dark Mind or Dark Dance, dark darkity dark).

I find most DPS classes a LOT harder to play well than I did DRK, the only hard part of DRK is recovering from really loving up and going OOM :shrug:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Lore question, did the continent of Meracydia ever have humanoid inhabitants, or was it all dravanian from the word go? I'm wondering what our prospects are of going there in the future.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Klades posted:

If the enmity numbers I've seen tossed around are accurate, using Dark Arts on power slash is a waste of MP. It looks like the DA bonus is only about 15% more enmity.
For that matter, unless your DPS outgear you a lot it's a waste of GCDs to use Power Slash at all, in my experience, unless you want to dump enough enmity on an add that you can ignore it until it does, or are tanking without Grit against some 4man boss that hits like a wet noodle. I did some badrough napkin math and if you compare an MP neutral "spam Souleater" Grit combo to an MP neutral "Oh god I have to make every other combo Power Slash to keep threat" non-Grit combo, the latter comes out ahead.

Interesting, thanks for the info on DA power slash. I still feel like starting a boss or single-mob fight with power slash is the way to go just to give you an initial lead against ALL THE COOLDOWNS GO GO GO dps, but I'll make a note to try skipping DA on it for a while.

I'm a really conservative tank player--I need absolute certainty of survival and a good DPS class makeup to ever even think about multipulling--so if something's hitting me, Grit is on 99% of the time, so I'm not going to stretch too much brainpower on that possibility. :v:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I've written off the other adventurers, in plot terms, as necessary for MMO gameplay, and no longer story-relevant. The story justifies this, expounding on what a stupendous badass the WoL is, so I figure it works.

Besides, the idea that the WoL soloed the final dungeon and trial makes me laugh. :v:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Are Neverreap and Fractal Continuum doable in the minimum ilvl gear to finish the story (142 IIRC) as a tank?

Also I asked earlier but never saw an answer, are tanks at 60 (especially DRKs) still wearing STR rightsides/putting their bonus stats in STR, or should I shift to VIT stuff?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

kharaa posted:

yes and it's infuriating because they're all also dying like bitches

So buy VIT stuff then, got it. :v:

cheetah7071 posted:

They have an ilvl requirement of i142, and are perfectly doable in that for all classes. You'll have some trouble holding hate against a geared-out DPS but gently caress 'em.

Thanks, I'll start cranking those out. I wanna try my hand at Bismarck EX too, but since that's not in the Duty Finder yet I'm kinda :effort: on it.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

PLD is probably the weakest of the three, but only by a very short distance, and still (I think?) has the most defensive cooldowns along with the best invulnerability cooldown. WAR does :stare: damage right now if they're any good at jumping between Defiance and Deliverance as needed. DRK has the weakest invulnerability cooldown in Living Dead, but shits enmity everywhere for days, AoE tanking with Abyssal Drain and Blood Price is never not funny, and most important of all, DRK's animations and effects are loving baller

(edit) I did use Living Dead in a way that made it seem less bad earlier this week though--our healer got wiped out on the last boss of the Aery, and I was able to time it well enough to get 20 full seconds of tank time on the boss for the DPS to finish it off. So that was nice. :shobon:

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 03:27 on Jun 30, 2015

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

The Chairman posted:

Where did you buy the game from? What platform did you buy it for? When did you buy it? What site did you go to to register the account?

The fact that these questions have to be asked speaks volumes for how awful FFXIV (and SE in general) account management is :(

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Did DRG get any improvements to AoE in Heavensward? While DRK is bugged I figure I might as well level a DPS instead of gearing it up, and I'm (STILL) debating between it and SMN.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Thanks all. I think I'll go with DRG because I'm a caveman who wants to see huge crits and SMN doesn't get as much of that last I checked.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Gearhead posted:

There's always Akh Morn Deathflare.

Captain Oblivious posted:

Summoners use Fester and Akh Morn pretty darn frequently, both of which are sick crits candidates
loving hell I forgot about Fester entirely. yoship why are you making this so hard for me :cry:

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Jun 30, 2015

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Post-MSQ spoiler: When Generic Hyur shows up on the moon, is he a WAR for everyone, or does he change to whatever job you are?

99% sure he's Generic Male Hyur Warrior for everyone, I finished as male Roegadyn DRK.

Funny actually, considering Generic Hyur changed to DRG in the opening movie :v:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Whenever I run into Praetorium newbies I tell them to skip the cutscenes so they can see the bosses and hear the cool music, then watch the cutscenes later. Usually they're chill with it when spun that way. (And honestly it's true, the music for Ultima Weapon pt2 owns all of the goddamn bones even now.)

Question about SMN, do you find yourselves out of Aetherflow the vast majority of the time? Even against single targets I'm out of stacks in the first 30 seconds just from Fester; I can't imagine how fast it'll go with Painflare added to the mix.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

CuddlyZombie posted:

Edit: ^^^ Yeah, that's what I wound up doing after a few bosses made me realize I was going to miss their fights. But even then, it's not like I got to see the REAL fight, you know?

If it makes you feel any better, I can 100% without a doubt say that they solved this particular problem for the 3.0 final boss fight. No amount of overgearing is going to take away the impact of that.

(edit: not to mention them segregating out the cutscenes correctly)

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Oh my god Deathflare is a (small) AoE? :stare:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

I have no idea what's actually going on in the fight and I just throw green numbers at people, but the whole thing is awesome.

It's also a good place to test out LB3 limit breaks, and since there's so much poo poo going on no one will really notice and get pissed off.

I wanted to see the DRK LB3 a couple nights ago in a goon run with the Chairman and others, so I put it on my DRK bar. Then slipped and hit it on LB2. I was rightfully chewed out for ruining the entire run :(

vOv posted:

Watching new tanks get double-Holy Bladedanced will never get old. :allears:
The first time I did it I was tanking both adds. I got loving annihilated of course. The second time, I tanked both, put up Living Dead, and smugfaced for the rest of the night :v:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

edit: damnit

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Does Ruin III have any use case before Dreadwyrm Trance?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Tenzarin posted:

Really digging this damage meter, its just what the game was missing. I always hated being in the dark for performance.

Which one is that, and is it accurate?

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

I got maybe 15% of the way from 54 to 55 doing a Sohm Al run with armory bonus (DRK 60), this feels like a total slog 'cos I have no sidequests left for the level range :(

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Obligatum VII posted:

On the subject of summoners feeling disconnected from their pets, I would agree that it's weird they've moved more towards the DoT aspects.

As for a way to make the summoner interact with their pet more... Square already has a great idea they can steal from one of their own games: Remember the puck passing in The World Ends With You? If they could implement that in a coherent fashion with Summoner, it'd make for a pretty interesting gimmick.

In leveling Summoner I sort of feel like they could take away the pets completely, bolster the potency of the Ruins a bit, and rename the class and nothing would be missed. :(

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

It honestly feel like even dungeons aren't worth doing for leveling alts, past the first roulettes of the day, and past getting away from tedium. THAT's kind of a problem.

Granted for me the "tedium" excuse is more than enough to get me away from N. Than or whatever and into, currently, Sohm Al, but that's still kind of lovely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

What the hell is a Nier, I'm at work and can't google very well but apparently not knowing what that is means I've lived under a rock or something???

• Locked thread