Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Monk is actually the most fun class by far, gently caress the people who just want to stand still and hit three buttons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Ither posted:

Summoner?

It has a vastly different playstyle from blm. I don't find dots or pets fun or interesting. I'm leveling it just because it's a way to get caster gear, but I'm not enjoying it. And granted again the huge hits are part of why blm is fun to me.

Closest might be new brd, though that's not as high a priority to max as smn. As again at least that's a caster.

Eimi fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jun 30, 2015

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

I never get Heavrnsward content in my roulettes, I wasn't sure if it had even been added to them.

But I did witness a miracle yesterday when I got the Chrysalis for my trial roulette and we managed to beat it in one shot. Even got to see the new ninja lb3!

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Eimi posted:

It has a vastly different playstyle from blm. I don't find dots or pets fun or interesting. I'm leveling it just because it's a way to get caster gear, but I'm not enjoying it. And granted again the huge hits are part of why blm is fun to me.

Closest might be new brd, though that's not as high a priority to max as smn. As again at least that's a caster.

The real answer is to play warrior for the fell cleave crits.

Ither
Jan 30, 2010

Eimi posted:

No love for Deathflare?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Robo Reagan posted:

To be fair the story is long if you watch every cutscene, but if you're catching up you can just skip everything and rewatch them at the inn when you feel like it. The patches worth of story content can be done in a 20 hours if you skip stuff.

Sounds about right.

Mordiceius posted:

Also, gently caress anyone who has the attitude "Other players should be forced to skip dungeon cutscenes since you can just watch them in the inn."

People kicking people for watching cutscenes is banable I believe. SE know how that The Praetorium was mistake mixing group content and movies because if anyone is new they don't get to take part of any of the last 5 boss fights. Actually ran that a few day ago talking about it in the group and we had a guy was new. A cutscene would happen then he could come out and the group was no where near him and he was now lost. I told him just watch the cutscenes and started counting how many bosses we could do before he got out of them. We finished the dungeon before he even moved.

On the other hand the Heavensward final dungeons are done quite brilliantly. The last dungeon doesnt drop any loot, so you would only want to do it for the almost guaranteed 120 law per run without doing damage required of the expert dungeons. Then they wrap it all up with a trial boss fight with a short intro before, and the cutscenes afterward.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Jun 30, 2015

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Calihan posted:

I'd make a lame joke about shooting ourselves in the head at this point but MCH does so little damage I doubt it would even be noticed.

That's how MCH give themselves haircuts.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Begemot posted:

I never get Heavrnsward content in my roulettes, I wasn't sure if it had even been added to them.

But I did witness a miracle yesterday when I got the Chrysalis for my trial roulette and we managed to beat it in one shot. Even got to see the new ninja lb3!

I got the final boss of HW in my trial roulette yesterday.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Robo Reagan posted:

Just saying the option is there if you're impatient like me. I like the story but I also not like sitting on the sidelines while everyone is gearing up. :v:

Watching cutscenes or not won't affect your progress nearly as much as your decision of how much time to spend playing the game, so don't feel obligated to skip them out of a sense of getting there faster, if you otherwise would have preferred watching them. Yes, you'll get there faster, but not all that much, and you'll miss out on something you would have enjoyed.

Also worth mentioning that the current grind for gear is pretty drat fast, so even if you take your time leveling you can still catch up your gear quickly when you get there. You can give yourself a head start by doing your daily hunts every day while you level, though.

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

Ciaphas posted:

Did DRG get any improvements to AoE in Heavensward? While DRK is bugged I figure I might as well level a DPS instead of gearing it up, and I'm (STILL) debating between it and SMN.

The new DRK bugs are really pretty inconsequential, so I wouldn't let that stop you from playing it.
If what you want is big AoE, SMN is apparently the way to go right now. PAINFLARE

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe

Klades posted:

The new DRK bugs are really pretty inconsequential, so I wouldn't let that stop you from playing it.

there's a drk display bug right now where obtaining or losing buffs and hot/dot ticks will appear to drain your mp because...well i don't know why, maybe something with calling the server for a status update idk

the short version is it'll appear to drain your mp but on the next server tick you'll go to what you should be, it's pretty easy to test if you engage a target dummy with darkside on, use any sort of defensive buff, watch your mp drain and then get a little back (you never naturally regen mp while in darkside and in combat)

that said if you're on the edge of your mp it can keep you from casting some abilities or even kick out your darkside if the game thinks you're out of mp so try to avoid running on fumes

e: oh and worth saying: it doesn't reliably do this. i blew every cooldown i had to apply buffs and only some of them "drained mp" when gaining or losing them. might only appear to drain mp once per server tick?

sword_man.gif fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Jun 30, 2015

pksage
Jul 2, 2009

You are an experience!
Make sure you're a good experience.

Ciaphas posted:

Did DRG get any improvements to AoE in Heavensward? While DRK is bugged I figure I might as well level a DPS instead of gearing it up, and I'm (STILL) debating between it and SMN.

DRG AoE was good before 3.0 and now it's even better. Geirskogul is 200 potency, off-GCD, and way bigger than Doom Spike; you barely have to point it at the pack to hit every enemy. Downside: You only get one use of it per minute during AoE pulls. But Heavy Thrust > Ring of Thorns > DOOM SPIKE TIMES A MILLION > repeat is still really solid AOE.

SMN is great too, as mentioned. Comes down to ranged/magic vs. melee/physical preference.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Thanks all. I think I'll go with DRG because I'm a caveman who wants to see huge crits and SMN doesn't get as much of that last I checked.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

Ciaphas posted:

Thanks all. I think I'll go with DRG because I'm a caveman who wants to see huge crits and SMN doesn't get as much of that last I checked.

There's always Akh Morn Deathflare.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

You could probably undersized queue with a level 60 or two and have them carry you through Castrum/Praetorium and let you watch cutscenes.

Two or three people versus an entire Garlean base sounds like a good time anyway.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Summoners use Fester and Akh Morn pretty darn frequently, both of which are sick crits candidates

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
I didn't like the whole Enochian thing at the start, but once you do every fight once or twice and know where to move to not get hit by all the orange cones, nailing 100% or close uptime starts being real fun.

And if you fail it, it's not really that big a deal either? It has a higher potency than Fire 1 and 3, but also has a longer cast than fire 1 or firestarter, and you have to keep using fire 1 or firestarter anyway, to keep up astral fire. And you have to still get MP back, and by keeping enochian up with blizz 4 you pretty much lose your "free" thunder cast. So the potency per second doesn't seem *that* much higher to me, at first glance.

Basically, unless you're doing cutting edge content, it doesn't seem like it matters. It's better dps, sure, but much like having i130 didn't matter much unless you were doing final coil, it's probably fairly incosequential.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Truga posted:

I didn't like the whole Enochian thing at the start, but once you do every fight once or twice and know where to move to not get hit by all the orange cones, nailing 100% or close uptime starts being real fun.

And if you fail it, it's not really that big a deal either? It has a higher potency than Fire 1 and 3, but also has a longer cast than fire 1 or firestarter, and you have to keep using fire 1 or firestarter anyway, to keep up astral fire. And you have to still get MP back, and by keeping enochian up with blizz 4 you pretty much lose your "free" thunder cast. So the potency per second doesn't seem *that* much higher to me, at first glance.

Basically, unless you're doing cutting edge content, it doesn't seem like it matters. It's better dps, sure, but much like having i130 didn't matter much unless you were doing final coil, it's probably fairly incosequential.

The only fight I've really noticed BLMs in my groups struggling with is the final one in neverreap, and it's very understandable given how movement intensive that fight is, and if you get unlucky with a tornado and your leylines you can fall behind hard pretty quickly.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Post-MSQ spoiler: When Generic Hyur shows up on the moon, is he a WAR for everyone, or does he change to whatever job you are?

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Post-MSQ spoiler: When Generic Hyur shows up on the moon, is he a WAR for everyone, or does he change to whatever job you are?

It was a male Hyur warrior for me, and imagine it is for everybody. It mirrors the warrior in the opening movie.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Never really had a big problem keeping ecochain up if you keep it going and move when you need too. Losing time on ley lines is no different from having to move when raging strikes is up, Really don't think too much about it. Put it up, don't stand in the center. Stand on a side of you don't block the whole thing when you get targeted.

The only thing that messes up ecochain is expecting to keep it up on a boss you have never fought before. There's no way, I usually don't bother caring about keeping it up when I learn a fight because if I do I die.

You really shouldn't try to keep the buff up over a minute anyway because as the fight goes on the refresh gets worse and it really shortens your dps cycles. Letting it off when you can start again give you a moment to do a 2.0 rotation and get thunder up then start the ecochain fresh.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Jun 30, 2015

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

He was the generic male Hyur WAR for me, too. I was a female miqo'te PLD.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Gearhead posted:

There's always Akh Morn Deathflare.

Captain Oblivious posted:

Summoners use Fester and Akh Morn pretty darn frequently, both of which are sick crits candidates
loving hell I forgot about Fester entirely. yoship why are you making this so hard for me :cry:

Ciaphas fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Jun 30, 2015

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

SwissArmyDruid posted:

99% sure he's Generic Male Hyur Warrior for everyone, I finished as male Roegadyn DRK.

Funny actually, considering Generic Hyur changed to DRG in the opening movie :v:

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Tenzarin posted:

People kicking people for watching cutscenes is banable I believe. SE know how that The Praetorium was mistake mixing group content and movies because if anyone is new they don't get to take part of any of the last 5 boss fights. Actually ran that a few day ago talking about it in the group and we had a guy was new. A cutscene would happen then he could come out and the group was no where near him and he was now lost. I told him just watch the cutscenes and started counting how many bosses we could do before he got out of them. We finished the dungeon before he even moved.

:psyduck:

At least the cutscenes are skippable. Imagine if this was back in the early '00s

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Whenever I run into Praetorium newbies I tell them to skip the cutscenes so they can see the bosses and hear the cool music, then watch the cutscenes later. Usually they're chill with it when spun that way. (And honestly it's true, the music for Ultima Weapon pt2 owns all of the goddamn bones even now.)

Question about SMN, do you find yourselves out of Aetherflow the vast majority of the time? Even against single targets I'm out of stacks in the first 30 seconds just from Fester; I can't imagine how fast it'll go with Painflare added to the mix.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Edit: ^^^ Yeah, that's what I wound up doing after a few bosses made me realize I was going to miss their fights. But even then, it's not like I got to see the REAL fight, you know?

As somoene who came in for Heavensward and is curious to try out the coil and crystal tower stuff, does it seem likely that in the future, between patches, players will go to retro-raid those?

And Praetorium being insanely easy due to everyone over-gearing and speedrunning it was kind of an anticlimax, though I suppose thats just the nature of MMOs with progression.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

SirPhoebos posted:

:psyduck:

At least the cutscenes are skippable. Imagine if this was back in the early '00s

Instead of a dungeon he got an hour long movie to watch, haha. Everquest didn't even have movies to watch.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

CuddlyZombie posted:

Edit: ^^^ Yeah, that's what I wound up doing after a few bosses made me realize I was going to miss their fights. But even then, it's not like I got to see the REAL fight, you know?

If it makes you feel any better, I can 100% without a doubt say that they solved this particular problem for the 3.0 final boss fight. No amount of overgearing is going to take away the impact of that.

(edit: not to mention them segregating out the cutscenes correctly)

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Ciaphas posted:

Whenever I run into Praetorium newbies I tell them to skip the cutscenes so they can see the bosses and hear the cool music, then watch the cutscenes later. Usually they're chill with it when spun that way. (And honestly it's true, the music for Ultima Weapon pt2 owns all of the goddamn bones even now.)

Question about SMN, do you find yourselves out of Aetherflow the vast majority of the time? Even against single targets I'm out of stacks in the first 30 seconds just from Fester; I can't imagine how fast it'll go with Painflare added to the mix.

http://forums.ffgoons.com/showthread.php?tid=27550

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Oh my god Deathflare is a (small) AoE? :stare:

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

Ciaphas posted:

If it makes you feel any better, I can 100% without a doubt say that they solved this particular problem for the 3.0 final boss fight. No amount of overgearing is going to take away the impact of that.

That's some relief, yeah. Honestly I'm more concerned with there apparently being no incentive to run CT or the coils now that 3.0 is out, it'd be nice to be able to try them even if people were overgeared.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

CuddlyZombie posted:

That's some relief, yeah. Honestly I'm more concerned with there apparently being no incentive to run CT or the coils now that 3.0 is out, it'd be nice to be able to try them even if people were overgeared.

Wouldn't people run them for a Roulette run?

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

Fun Shoe
crystal tower/any coil aren't in any roulette

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

Ciaphas posted:

Watching new tanks get double-Holy Bladedanced will never get old. :allears:

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I have no idea what's actually going on in the fight and I just throw green numbers at people, but the whole thing is awesome.

It's also a good place to test out LB3 limit breaks, and since there's so much poo poo going on no one will really notice and get pissed off.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

CuddlyZombie posted:

Ct will still be ran for light and the weekly. Not everyone got all their tombstones for their 120/130 weapon with poetics.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

I have no idea what's actually going on in the fight and I just throw green numbers at people, but the whole thing is awesome.

It's also a good place to test out LB3 limit breaks, and since there's so much poo poo going on no one will really notice and get pissed off.

I wanted to see the DRK LB3 a couple nights ago in a goon run with the Chairman and others, so I put it on my DRK bar. Then slipped and hit it on LB2. I was rightfully chewed out for ruining the entire run :(

vOv posted:

The first time I did it I was tanking both adds. I got loving annihilated of course. The second time, I tanked both, put up Living Dead, and smugfaced for the rest of the night :v:

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

vOv posted:

I wanted to do it, I knew it was coming, I had my cooldowns going and was prepared, and then the other person taunted off of me at the last second. =(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.

Thumbtacks posted:

At least one of those NPCs is a spoiler.

In Sea of Clouds when you have to help the useless younger brother my client was bugged and it was telling me to go speak to Matoya instead of him. Pretty sure she was mentioned in a live letter or some other stream as well.

Thumbtacks posted:

So I'm working on the MCH guide on ffgoons and so far I have made a very helpful flowchart so if you ahve any questions let me know so i know what to add

Your chart doesn't include "use LB because Wildfire counts its damage as well" so you might want to fix that unless SE finally removed the Wildfire+LB thing.

I wonder how abused that RavanaEX issue was because auto-attack only would be pretty quick weapon farming. :stare:

pksage posted:

It's a bit of a stretch, but (3.0 post-credits spoilers) given that at least one Ascian and the Warrior(s) of Darkness are on the moon, it seems reasonable we could go there in MSQ or even as part of the 3.x 24-man raid.

The 24 man raid is almost guaranteed to be FF6 related. The Goddess Statues are sitting right on top of the entrance to ARF as well[ and the tower they're surrounding looks like it's actually a containment structure, complete with Definitely Not Kefka's wings sticking out in one spot.

More importantly, a FF6 raid dungeon means we might get FF6 character outfits as class gear from one of the dungeons. :dance:

Ethiser posted:

I got my first class to 50 last week and the person who decided you had to beat all the patch quests to get to the expansion needs to be fired. I'm fine doing the trials and dungeons they added, those are fun, but all the fetch quests are maddening.

I'd love to see their metrics for how many new players get to the Leviathan quests and just say "gently caress it" and quit because that's easily the worst 2.0-2.55 stretch because it brings back memories of the god awful Tidus never-ending quest chain.

Jia posted:

Monk is actually the most fun class by far, gently caress the people who just want to stand still and hit three buttons

:agreed:

Though it is nice that DRK makes it so groups aren't required to have a MNK for damage reduction in raids. Leveling my WAR it feels far more powerful early on than my MNK did. Though leveling a MNK is loving painful because our DPS without positional boosts is garbage.

• Locked thread