Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

So maybe this is a silly question, but when I was watching the Beta fight and the Chomp fight I kept wondering:

Why don't the hammer bots have some mandible like mechanism to keep their opponents in place for the hammer blow?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Should I run a fantasy battlebot league in this thread y/n

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Ok, I'm going to run a little fantasy battlebot league in here for 8-10 players.

We've got two draft options, we could do the standard random draw and ladder pick thing*, but that strikes me as a bit boring, so I've also devised a second method where each round every player selects a bot in secret but if two or players select the same bot none of them get it and it's still available for picking the next round. It's fair though, promise.

If you want to play fantasy battlebots, quote this post, tell me if you have private messages and whether you want to do a ladder pick or a secret draft. Who knows, if enough people sign up we could do both.

Your signup will look like this:

eager participant posted:

I want to play. I have plat, I'm not a filthy poor. Secret draft sounds fun, lets do that.

* I'm getting some conflicting info on if the thing I'm thinking of is a ladder draft or a snake draft, but it's the one where a random order is established and then the picks are made in that order in the first round, and in reverse order in the second round.

Jump King fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Jul 2, 2016

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Fart of Gold posted:

I'd be down to make a website for it. Assuming life doesn't get in the way, I think I should be able to have something ugly yet functional in the next few days. However, I've never done any fantasy leagues before so I don't know how it works and how long a draft takes.

That'd be cool, but I also think it's probably unneccesary really. something small scale like this, can really just be run from the thread, a google form and a spreadsheet.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Pakled posted:

I'm interested in this. I've got PMs and I'm just gonna go with Secret Draft because the other method might take too long since you'd have to wait for each person to send in their pick before the next person can choose and we only have until Thursday to get this started.

For the length, I 'm going to make people to ordered lists if they can't be present at draft time.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

There is actually a site you can do that with already, I'll link that when I get home. But I thought it might be more fun if you had a little team to root for.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Season one she just ran a really bad bot that sucked in an uninteresting fashion

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

On the fantasy side I think a simple bracket style game like March Madness would be viable.

http://challonge.com/bbseason2

That website has the bracket and you don't need an account to make a prediction. Feel free to share your predictions and compete against others with it. It's pretty nifty.

I can also do a pick em before each episode because why not, not much effort to just make a quick google form and tally the results.

The league draft thing is what I'm more genuinely excited for because I think it's more fun to try to pick and choose bots to form a team.

Fantasy Battlebots

Here's my playerlist:

SLICK GOKU BABY
PBS Newshour
DOOP
Pakled
dongsbot 9000

Also Guy Who PMed me wanting to play, can you post in this thread or pm me again because I accidentally deleted your message

if I missed somebody let me know.

We need one more player and then we can start, although I guess I can just be one of those players, running the game doesn't give me any kind of advantage. I think Monday night would be a good day to do the draft. I'm also going to post a list of the available bots in their seeded order so people can assemble a list if they won't be available monday

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

1 win = 1 point. I'll count any rumbles and exhibition matches for fun too.

If you can think of a more fun scoring method lemme know.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Scoring based on dominance:

4 points for a <1 minute knockout.
3 points for a <2 minute knockout.
2 points for a knockout.
1 point for a win.

For rumbles, 1 point for every robot that dies before they do.

I think that sort of thing would just increase the gap between the kinetic spinners that hit extremely hard and the other bots. Like as it is right now there are some really powerful top bots, but beyond the top 8 or so there are still some decent point scorers that would sort of be rendered moot if tombstone is picking up 4 points a match.

For rumbles, how about 1 point for each robot it personally kills, shared points for shared kills.

Xelkelvos posted:

I'll join, I guess. I have PMs.

I also made a bracket with the top 4 seeds in the final 4

:ssh: you linked the edit link for that prediction

Jump King fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Jul 3, 2016

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Alright here are the players for the Robot Fantasy League:
  • SLICK GOKU BABY
  • PBS Newshour
  • DOOP
  • Pakled
  • dongsbot 9000
  • ToadStyle
  • Xelkelvos

Turns out I actually gave miscounted earlier so if any of you guys who are like, telling me what score system to use want to play, you still can. If not, no big deal, I'll just be the last player and I'll have fun.

Botlist
(this is the official seeding order)

Tombstone
Bronco
Witch Doctor
Bite Force
Stinger
Son of Whyachi
Minotaur
Icewave
Beta
Complete Control
Hypershock
Yeti
Chomp
Cobalt
Razorback
Brutus
Lockjaw
Ghost Raptor
Bombshell
Captain Shrederator
Lucky
Warrior Dragon
Warhead
Overhaul
Nightmare
Blacksmith
Poison Arrow
Mega Tento
Ringmaster
Red Devil
Chrome Fly
Escape Velocity

We'll do a draft on monday at 9pm, Tuesday 9PM EST (I forgot about America) or another time if people protest. If you won't be around or just don't really want to show up order that list to your liking and send it my way I'll automatically pick down your list. When deciding which bots to pick, it might be a good idea to check out the bracket just check if you think a robot might be up against very tough or surprisingly easy matchup.

JT Jag posted:

3 points for a knockout, 2 points for a win by decision and 1 point for a loss by decision, imo

I'm probably going to use this score system.

Anyway, sorry for constantly making GBS threads up this thread.

Jump King fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Jul 3, 2016

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Pakled posted:

To be clear, what time zone is this? Eastern?

Oh poo poo, my bad. Yeah I was thinking 9 EST. Lemme know if there are any issues.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I am up for the league.

Cool.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

How will the draft process occur and how long do you think it will take? I might have to start the draft and then send a list and leave halfway through. I have to work at 11 EST on Monday.
The process will basically just be I post the order draft order and the robots available and we cycle through in that order with me automatically selecting for anybody who sent in a list. I think it will take an hour, but I've scheduled 2 hours for myself because optimism is unprofessional.

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

Although my guess is some others might have plans for the 4th?

Oh my god, I forgot tomorrow was the 4th, since I'm not American. I think every year I accidentally put a deadline for a game I'm running on the 4th of July or the Superbowl. Let's do Tuesday 9 PM EST instead.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

As somebody who watches a lot of boxing that scoring criteria makes alright sense, still think they could stand to fine tune it.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I think for me the biggest problem with Battlebots is that there isn't much innovation at this point.

People are still coming up with new things, and technology is making things better all the time. I wish Road Rash got a chance to compete, their method of movement looked really interesting.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Drowning In Terror posted:

The arena floor had some thick coating applied over the steel that messed up everyone's magnets. Chomp was supposed to use magnets to reduce energy loss during the hammer swing and compensate for its top-heavy design but obviously that didn't pan out. It's a shame seeing people poo poo on Chomp really, seems to be the same ones who whine about the new rules.

Yeah I heard, that's why the commentators said Chomp has the most powerful hammer despite it being fairly ineffective. The design probably still needs some fine tuning since the team is pretty new, but it's a shame the testing floor was different than the actual floor. Beta had the same going on, but I think Beta's low profile is more conducive to being run without magnets.

jivjov posted:

It's less that there's no innovation and more that the risky innovative bots get taken apart by an established "tried and true" weapon design. Look at the one from the preliminaries that had the motion controlled sword arm! That's innovative and cool as hell...but it's not gonna stand up to a lot of the established weapon types.

OB Overlord was more gimmicky than innovative imo, it was never a serious robot. The funky things like drones designed to land on other bots and drill into them are innovative, but what you said applies there.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I should clarify; innovation in the sense of resolving the problem of destroying another robot on a flat floor. The solutions are largely mature and resolved, with well established designs that now come in textbooks. I agree it's a shame that the floor was not conducive to magnetic solutions; hopefully next year they address that. But as far as combat robots themselves are concerned there isn't much to improve over the existing designs. After all they've been around for decades.

I guess? I think you're overplaying how long some of these designs have been in place and underplaying how much they get improved and changed over the years.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

MikeNCR posted:

We were pitted fairly close to chomp and having had the chance to really take a close look it is absolutely one of the best engineered bots at the event.

I've heard this sentiment from a few of the bot engineers, shame it's got such a bad rap from the viewers.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I mean I could easily be wrong about the lack of meaningful change if someone has a good example.

I guess to me, it's just looking at how things have changed since the comedy central years.

But I guess more importantly, I don't really care if there are roughly 16 general design types (the number listed in the riobotz manual) because that's a decent equilibrium and still allows for a lot variety and fun stuff.

I do think there should be more effective arena hazards for control oriented bots to take advantage of though.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

The original discussion was whether or not the rule change mandating aggression via primary weapon attacks stifled innovation. The rule eliminates a few of the designs listed (wedges, thwackbots, pushers, etc), but eliminating it doesn't open up the avenue for new designs.

Oh yeah, well, I guess misread that. I agree pretty much. I was reading something by one of the guys who worked on Bronco saying they wish there were less rules in general so that people could sort things pit naturally., like allow nets and everything and people would figure out ways to counter things. IDK if it works out that way but its an idea.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Fantasy Battlebots

Tonight at 9 EST still. Going to be making GBS threads up the thread a bit so if you're not part of this just ignore it, this is only going to happen once, so I feel like there's no reason to make a separate thread like I normally would for these kinds of things.

Draft Order
  1. ToadStyle
  2. dongsbot 9000
  3. PBS Newshour
  4. Pakled
  5. Xelkelvos
  6. Beer4TheBeerGod
  7. DOOP
  8. SLICK GOKU BABY

Scoring system:

JT Jag posted:

3 points for a knockout, 2 points for a win by decision and 1 point for a loss by decision, imo

Format
This should move along very quickly. I'll repost the list of robots when we're about to start the draft. The first player will say which bot they're taking at the top of their post in bold, then post copy and paste the list with their robot removed. The next player will do the same thing

An example, say this is the list:

quote:

Tombstone
Bronco
Witch Doctor
Bite Force
Stinger
Son of Whyachi
Minotaur
Icewave

The first player might post

quote:

Bronco

Tombstone
Witch Doctor
Bite Force
Stinger
Son of Whyachi
Minotaur
Icewave

The next might post

quote:

Stinger

Tombstone
Witch Doctor
Bite Force
Son of Whyachi
Minotaur
Icewave

etc, we continue that way down the player list going from 1-8

When we get to the last player (SLICK GOKU BABY) they pick twice and then we go in the other direction from 8 to 1. We continue this way until all players have picked 4 robots.

If you're not going to be around you can send me an ordered list of your preferred picks.

If somebody is not absent, like they don't check in and never sent me an ordered list, I'll be randomizing their picks

Anyway, if there's any confusion or questions I'll be around until about 7PM (EST) but then I'm busy until we start.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Rather than randomize their picks, how about having them pick the highest seeded bot? That way somebody doesn't end up with Mega Tento, Escape Velocity, and Chrome Fly.

I thought about that, but like, if somebody signed up for this, ignored every one of my posts and private messages about when it was and what to do if they couldn't make it., then I'm personally ok with them not getting any good bots. If you and the others think this is too vindictive then maybe I'll just use the seeded list.

In answer to this:

quote:

How much time does someone have to draft?

If everybody checks in at 9 and starts picking, I don't want suddenly start giving the hard cut off to people. I'd like everybody to be within 5 minutes, ideally less than that, with 8 people it should be enough to figure out your pick before your turn rolls around. I'll shoot reminders if somebody is taking too long.

I think I mentioned this before but it should be possible to do this in around an hour, but I've blocked out about 2 hours for it. If we go over that time period we can schedule another time but we can probably just slowly finish off the rest of the picks throughout Wednesday.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

TheChad posted:

Put me in the game MMM and I pick all these bots and Chomp TIA

If somebody doesn't show up I'll put you in their place, if you're around at 9, assuming you're serious.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Now would be a good chance to check in if you haven't already, I'm about to get home and I'll start then.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Draft Order
  1. ToadStyle
  2. dongsbot 9000
  3. PBS Newshour
  4. Pakled
  5. Xelkelvos
  6. Beer4TheBeerGod
  7. DOOP
  8. SLICK GOKU BABY

Botlist
Tombstone
Bronco
Witch Doctor
Bite Force
Stinger
Son of Whyachi
Minotaur
Icewave
Beta
Complete Control
Hypershock
Yeti
Chomp
Cobalt
Razorback
Brutus
Lockjaw
Ghost Raptor
Bombshell
Captain Shrederator
Lucky
Warrior Dragon
Warhead
Overhaul
Nightmare
Blacksmith
Poison Arrow
Mega Tento
Ringmaster
Red Devil
Chrome Fly
Escape Velocity

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

ToadStyle you're up first and you have your pick of the litter

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

(you almost got mega tento :))

dongsbot's list picks

Minotaur

Tombstone
Bronco
Witch Doctor
Bite Force
Stinger
Icewave
Beta
Complete Control
Hypershock
Yeti
Chomp
Cobalt
Razorback
Brutus
Lockjaw
Ghost Raptor
Bombshell
Captain Shrederator
Lucky
Warrior Dragon
Warhead
Overhaul
Nightmare
Blacksmith
Poison Arrow
Mega Tento
Ringmaster
Red Devil
Chrome Fly
Escape Velocity

PBS is up next

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Tombstone falling to the 4th overall pick is the steal of the century.

Returning champ as 6th pick isn't bad either.

(I feel like Tombstone is destructive enough that it could tear itself apart in an early match though)

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Yeah it's true. OTOH he's KO'd 5 of the 6 matches he's been in.

With the scoring system the way it is, Tombstone doesn't have to win the tourney to rack up points. So either way I think it's a good pick. Also it's Tombstone, no need to justify picking Tombstone

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

gently caress you Doop. Since my picks are back to back, hope it's okay to do them both at once :).

Yep, that's preferred

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

List for the new page

Beta
Complete Control
Hypershock
Yeti
Chomp
Cobalt
Razorback
Brutus
Lockjaw
Bombshell
Captain Shrederator
Lucky
Warrior Dragon
Warhead
Overhaul
Nightmare
Blacksmith
Poison Arrow
Mega Tento
Ringmaster
Red Devil
Chrome Fly
Escape Velocity

Doop, you're up next

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Yeti and Lucky is risky match up to pick sides.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Pakled posted:

I swear to God I'm not just choosing the highest remaining in the list for each pick, I thought about this, really

Hypershock is a bit underrated I think.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

dongsbot picks

Captain Shrederator

Chomp
Cobalt
Razorback
Lockjaw
Bombshell
Lucky
Warrior Dragon
Warhead
Overhaul
Nightmare
Blacksmith
Poison Arrow
Mega Tento
Ringmaster
Red Devil
Chrome Fly
Escape Velocity

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

DOOP posted:

I dont remember what Hypershock even does

vertical spinner/wedge/I think it has a bit of a flipper as well.

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

ToadStyle posted:

I really like Brutus. I dunno how wells he's going to do against Tombstone in the second round though.

You're up for double pick btw

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

Remaining Bots

Chomp
Lockjaw
Lucky
Warrior Dragon
Warhead
Overhaul
Nightmare
Blacksmith
Poison Arrow
Mega Tento
Ringmaster
Red Devil
Chrome Fly
Escape Velocity

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

ToadStyle posted:

WHOAHOWHAO Dongs out of nowhere!

His next pick according to the list would be Chomp, so...

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

This made me worry I miscounted the field

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jump King
Aug 10, 2011

JT Jag posted:

Stinger is great because it's got great "regular-rear end" factor

It's a regular-rear end bot made by regular-rear end people

I like Beta for the same reason, it's a bot a dude threw together 2000s that he never bothered to test and finally brought out now, I wonder if he'd even be able to repair it if it got broken in the first round and he did well enough for a wild card

:ssh: Both of those stories are overplayed a little

• Locked thread