Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
I have an ASUS P8Z77-V LX motherboard, with 64-bit Realtek 6.017 drivers installed. Whenever I plug in my headphones to the lime-green back line-in, I get the "click" like it's connected, and a faint "hiss" as per usual, but in Playback Devices the "Speakers" device that governs the rear green jack is telling me nothing is plugged in. Plugging them into the front gets me the same result wherein I can "hear" the computer like they're plugged in and transmitting electricity, but Realtek is telling me nothing's plugged in. the sound manager is like this:

so I don't have the "disable auto-detection" option that the earlier drivers had. I'd greatly appriciate any help on the matter as I really, really don't want to have to send the mobo away for a replacement, nor do I wish to throw money away on an extra soundcard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!
Do you have the original driver CD that came with your motherboard? If so, uninstall your current audio drivers and reinstall the older ones. Both the front and back headphone detection going at the same time is unlikely, it's more likely a driver issue.

If not you may need to do a little hunting as the Asus driver download page for your M/B isn't working.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!

grack posted:

Do you have the original driver CD that came with your motherboard? If so, uninstall your current audio drivers and reinstall the older ones. Both the front and back headphone detection going at the same time is unlikely, it's more likely a driver issue.

If not you may need to do a little hunting as the Asus driver download page for your M/B isn't working.

That's strange, I can access https://www.asus.com/ca-en/Motherboards/P8Z77V_LX/HelpDesk_Download/ just fine.

On a weird note that might help people decode what's going wrong, my headset is the kind that uses 3.5mm jacks for input/output, but has a usb connection for external power. I had plugged in my old and mostly broken USB-only headset to use as a replacement in the front, with the new headset still plugged in the back. I went to unplug the new headset's USB cable and the old headset's as well, and suddenly the Realtek application freaked out and started detecting my linein multiple times, but no sound was going through it. I unplugged the lime green jack and plugged it back in, but upon doing so it wouldn't detect it any more so :shrug:

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
Don't plug in the USB cable for your headphones, just the line in/out jacks. The USB cable isn't for power, it's for systems that don't have soundcards, the headphones will detect as their own soundcard and install drivers. If you think you are supposed to have the USB cable connected for power, please provide the brand and model of headphones, because while it's possible that some like that could exist that would be VERY unusual.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
I have a Turtle Beach Ear Force X12. I wanted to buy a "gaming" headset because those typically use USB cables for their input but then I found out that this one uses jacks anyway :smith:

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
Oh that has a weird built-in amplifier. I'd completely disconnect your headset, uninstall your current audio drivers, reboot, install the latest drivers from the Realtek website, reboot, plug the headset into power, then see if it detects when plugged into the rear audio jacks.

Lady Naga
Apr 25, 2008

Voyons Donc!
Didn't work, unfortunately. Neither in front nor back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
Do you have any other speakers or headphones that use the jacks that you can use to test if it detects anything at all?

Also, it probably won't help in this case, but one weird trick you can use to fix onboard devices (particularly from Realtek) is to shut the system down, unplug the power cord from the back, then press the power button. You should see the LED lights flash briefly as the capacitors drain. Let the system sit unplugged for 15 minutes to an hour , then plug it back in and boot back up. This trick is useful because some chips on the motherboard remain powered even when the system is turned off, and if the power is unplugged, will remain powered from the stored energy in the capacitors. This complicated trick is needed to guarantee that power is COMPLETELY interrupted and the chip definitely gets reset. This is more for things like integrated network adapters disappearing and not coming back after a reboot, but I would still try it and see if it helps.

• Locked thread