Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
asvodel
Oct 10, 2012
I am not aware of an existing thread for stuff like this which isn't archived...

I am basically a walking E/N thread / goon stereotype... late 20s, live with my parents and no real friends who I see more than 1-2 times a year, no girlfriend, no real non-goony interests aside from travel, and so on. I am rather introverted and basically shut in and depressed. I should have moved out a long time ago but never did due to always having things like college and jobs in the same area. My parents are both retiring this summer so I am setting this as the absolute deadline to get my rear end out of their house and stop being a leeching manchild...
I am located in a mid-sized city in the northeastern US.
I have decided that I need a drastic change in my life, so I am looking to be completely uprooted and move anywhere in the world to start my life over. I need a major change in lifestyle and I think moving to a new place would help with this. My job allows me to work from anywhere in the world, and I have no other existing attachments so I am considering literally anywhere and everywhere at the moment.

I have kept up a decent freelancing job for roughly 4 years where I work over the internet... the pay is unpredictable but I make usually at least $30,000 a year after taxes. I do not have a great amount of money in savings at the moment, but it is enough to go anywhere and live for at least a few months before needing new paychecks.
I can keep up this job anywhere where I have access to a high speed Internet connection (I work with video). I am looking to keep this job for the time being rather than seek new work.
I should also mention that over the past few years I have traveled to different countries in Asia and the Middle East for 2-4 weeks at a time. I have a couple of acquaintances in these countries though not enough of an attachment to definitely consider moving.

The big question is of course, where to go? I would like to live in a city in a first world country (or at least a reasonably developed city in any other country). I would love to get out of the US for a dramatic change in the scenery and mentality.
Aside from some very basic conversational Japanese and French I only know English... so I think it is best to stick to a country where English is commonly spoken or where there are a lot of foreign nationals. The US is not out of the question, but the most interesting cities to me (like New York, San Francisco, LA) are all too expensive. I wouldn't be against a trendy seeming middle sized city like Seattle, Chicago or Austin. Canada or UK seems like a decent option for a little nicer culture than the US stereotype. I have heard that English is widely spoken in continental Europe but I am not really convinced how far I could get to know people without knowing the local language. I would love to live some place in Asia but it is probably a bad option due to language difficulties.

Basically I really am just looking for somewhere fairly affordable with a good atmosphere and a lot of things to do. I would prefer a larger city for the diversity and atmosphere, as long as it is not unaffordably expensive. I am open to anywhere until I narrow things down.

Feel free to give me ideas or poo poo on me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KonMari DeathMetal
Dec 20, 2009
Topeka, Kansas, enjoy your new city!

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
If you are thinking of moving to the UK, Bristol, Manchester and Glasgow are all recommended as nice and affordable places with plenty of sights and stuff to do. Bristol is more expensive being in the South. Avoid London like the plague, it is horrible, overcrowded and will bankrupt you with living costs, especially since you don't need to be in London for your job.
I have no clue about what you would actually need to do to emigrate to the UK though, I haven't investigated myself.

I would strongly avoid moving to mainland Europe without first learning the local language. Some places like Germany will be more tolerant, though you will probably still find a lot of things difficult, especially if you are having to deal with complicated stuff like living arrangements and visas. Some places will not cater to you at all like a lot of places in France.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Baby steps. Stay in the US for now. Different countries have wildly differing policies on how long you can stay there and what the requirements are - and at $30k/yr, you're much better off just first learning to live by yourself and managing your own life without those added complications.

If you really want to jump into the deep end, consider central/south america - super low cost of living in many areas, so your savings will go the distance, and relatively tolerant rules for ex-pats. Not to mention, it's wildly dominated by romance languages which you're likely to find easier to pick up than, say, German or Icelandic.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
I don't think you'd be able to get a residence permit in a foreign country if your job doesn't require you to be there. If you did somehow manage to get one though, you are correct that a lot of Europeans speak English. You should still try and learn the local language though if you're there for any significant length of time - it'll make things a lot easier, people will be a little nicer to you, and you'll feel a lot less isolated. Since moving to Switzerland, I've found that while almost everyone around your age can speak English, it makes it awkward in social situations - they can either all speak English to include you, or talk English to you and German to their Swiss friends who may not be so good at English. It makes for an awkward situation where people feel left out. You don't need to (and probably won't be able to even if you try unless you're there for many years) master the language, but having basic conversational skills will make things much much easier.

As for what city to pick, I don't know, I think this thread is just going to be pretty much "name your favorite city". 30k a year isn't a whole lot, and the bigger city you go to the less you'll get for that money (obviously). It's hard to know what balance of "living comfortably" and "living somewhere interesting" you need. Maybe check out the Santa Fe area - it can be a little arty/pretentious but you did mention Austin so maybe that's not a problem for you. I enjoyed living near it in Los Alamos, and maybe my impression of it would have been different if I was actually living in it, but it seems pretty nice and not extremely expensive, especially if you don't live right downtown.

Overall though, don't expect moving on its own to cause a change in your life. If you let them, your bad habits and problems will follow you wherever you go. Just make sure the moving is just one part of a solid plan to get your life back on track rather than the entire plan.

Cotton Candidasis
Aug 28, 2008

Enjoy the mid- (or south) west. Southwest has better food, mid-west probably has cheaper housing.

The March Hare
Oct 15, 2006

Je rêve d'un
Wayne's World 3
Buglord
Animum debes mutare, non caelum.

asvodel
Oct 10, 2012

Murphy Brownback posted:

I don't think you'd be able to get a residence permit in a foreign country if your job doesn't require you to be there. If you did somehow manage to get one though, you are correct that a lot of Europeans speak English. You should still try and learn the local language though if you're there for any significant length of time - it'll make things a lot easier, people will be a little nicer to you, and you'll feel a lot less isolated. Since moving to Switzerland, I've found that while almost everyone around your age can speak English, it makes it awkward in social situations - they can either all speak English to include you, or talk English to you and German to their Swiss friends who may not be so good at English. It makes for an awkward situation where people feel left out. You don't need to (and probably won't be able to even if you try unless you're there for many years) master the language, but having basic conversational skills will make things much much easier.

As for what city to pick, I don't know, I think this thread is just going to be pretty much "name your favorite city". 30k a year isn't a whole lot, and the bigger city you go to the less you'll get for that money (obviously). It's hard to know what balance of "living comfortably" and "living somewhere interesting" you need. Maybe check out the Santa Fe area - it can be a little arty/pretentious but you did mention Austin so maybe that's not a problem for you. I enjoyed living near it in Los Alamos, and maybe my impression of it would have been different if I was actually living in it, but it seems pretty nice and not extremely expensive, especially if you don't live right downtown.

I guess that is true about the residency permits. And I found that when staying with people overseas, even though they were very friendly, when in larger groups of their own friends they just speak the local language and it makes me isolated.
Can you tell me a bit more about Santa Fe area..? I am actually an artist; though not really the pretentious sort of artist, it is all commercial graphics work. I am averse to the idea of living somewhere flat and hot but the culture seems like it could be interesting enough to make up for this.
To be fair the $30,000 is a baseline estimate because I do not have a fixed salary as a freelance worker. It is actually more than this.

[quote="tweekinator" post="446921640"]
Enjoy the mid- (or south) west. Southwest has better food, mid-west probably has cheaper housing.

I have really bad stereotypes about the Midwest.... midwest or southeast US is the last place I would want to be

What are people's opinions about the area around Seattle, Portland etc? I thought that seemed promising.

Murphy Brownback posted:

Overall though, don't expect moving on its own to cause a change in your life. If you let them, your bad habits and problems will follow you wherever you go. Just make sure the moving is just one part of a solid plan to get your life back on track rather than the entire plan.

The March Hare posted:

Animum debes mutare, non caelum.

This is all true but I think that moving to a new place would put me in a better frame of mind to explore new things and help me change as a person.... rather than being a couple of miles away from where I have felt stuck my whole life.
I don't want this to turn into an E/N thread if it isn't one already.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer
Can you narrow your options a bit? When you say "in a city," are we talking, like, NYC-sized, Seattle/Portland-sized, or Spokane-sized?

What about weather? If lovely weather doesn't bother you, you might want to look at Minneapolis-St. Paul. Low cost of living, and it's a relatively nice city, especially if you don't need to spend much time outdoors. It's a big city, too, so most of the Midwestern close-minded stereotypes don't apply.

At $30,000 a year, you may be able to find someplace an hour or two outside of Seattle or Portland, but if you're looking for a social scene and not nature, probably not the best way to go.

queertea
Jun 4, 2013

Not Fade Away
Your problems are staying with you no matter where you go. Don't have any romantic ideas about how if you could just figure out how to live in NYC or Seattle, then everything would be better and you'd be a well-adjusted adult with an active social life! You don't suddenly stop being a depressed shut-in just because you live in a place with a drastically higher COL.

queertea fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Jun 23, 2015

Cotton Candidasis
Aug 28, 2008

asvodel posted:

I have really bad stereotypes about the Midwest.... midwest or southeast US is the last place I would want to be

What are people's opinions about the area around Seattle, Portland etc? I thought that seemed promising.

Then look at the Southwest, though with your large city stipulation and $30k income, you will probably run into issues.

My extended family is mostly in the Seattle area, and it's fairly expensive there. Minneapolis/St Paul is worth a look.

If you want/need low cost of living, the mid-west is where it's at; you might want to consider overcoming your own prejudices while you do the rest of your self-improvement - if there's enough people around the area they probably won't all be awful.

asvodel
Oct 10, 2012
I'd love to live in a very big city, bigger than the one I am in now (pittsburgh) though I probably can't afford the rent there. I have figured that the bigger the place, the more diverse the people and activities. I don't want to pay more than like $8-900 for rent.
I was leaning towards the area of Seattle or Portland because of the "hipster" associations they have, I am not really that sort of person but it seems like you would find a lot of younger people with interesting interests.
I learned everything about Minnesota from Garrison Keillor, that is 100% accurate right?? In seriousness I will keep it in mind.

asvodel
Oct 10, 2012
I will try to do some research on these places. Thanks for the input
I know there are a lot of other things involved, I don't want this to become an E/N thread. It seems like a good first step to get me out of a comfort zone though.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Yeah don't come to MN unless you like nice people and great parks and good beer and maybe bikes.

Foid One
Mar 2, 2015

by Ralp
Try GBS, OP.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
As some others have mentioned, Minneapolis-St.Paul is actually pretty decent and relatively affordable compared to a lot of "big" cities.

Personally, if I was staying in the US I'd want to do San Diego.

Applesnots
Oct 22, 2010

MERRY YOBMAS

Asheville NC. Seriously, it is crazy diverse and fun.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

asvodel posted:

As you should, but Santa Fe is not in the midwest.

You sound like you'd enjoy Seattle/Portland etc but with 30k a year that you say can vary, you will probably have to live outside of places like that and commute. I guess you'd be able to find a place downtown with roommates, but at least for me, at a similar age as you, that kind of living just isn't for me anymore.

yeah I eat ass fucked around with this message at 06:23 on Jun 24, 2015

cash crab
Apr 5, 2015

all the time i am eating from the trashcan. the name of this trashcan is ideology

queertea posted:

Your problems are staying with you no matter where you go. Don't have any romantic ideas about how if you could just figure out how to live in NYC or Seattle, then everything would be better and you'd be a well-adjusted adult with an active social life! You don't suddenly stop being a depressed shut-in just because you live in a place with a drastically higher COL.

I don't 100% agree, but I get where you're coming from. I moved to another city I'd never visited on a whim, and years later, it's apparent to myself (and to other people) that a lot of my weird shut-in issues started resolving themselves, mostly because I got 8000 miles away from my parents, who were exacerbating the situation. As much as my parents own, it's really hard to become a grown up if you can constantly fall back on them. I mean, there's probably a less dramatic solution to OP's issues, but it worked pretty nice for me.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
Move to Portland or Austin. They love newcomers.

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Thanatosian posted:

If lovely weather doesn't bother you, you might want to look at Minneapolis-St. Paul. Low cost of living, and it's a relatively nice city, especially if you don't need to spend much time outdoors.

What crazy world is Minneapolis for people who don't like the outdoors?

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

i hosted a great goon meet and all i got was this lousy avatar
Grimey Drawer

Bip Roberts posted:

What crazy world is Minneapolis for people who don't like the outdoors?

The crazy world where it's an ice-cold frozen hellhole in the winter, and a burning, humid, mosquito-infested hellhole during the summer. What I like to call "reality."

Nick Rivers
Nov 23, 2004

asvodel posted:

I was leaning towards the area of Seattle or Portland

Post in the Oregoons LAN thread and tell them your story and ask about moving to Portland, they are friendly and will offer helpful advice!

havent heard a peep
May 29, 2003

When Steve Jobs died it wasn't the first job I'd lost that week.
A suburb of phuket, thailand.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
I highly recommend outer space

Rickycat
Nov 26, 2007

by Lowtax

Jeza posted:

I highly recommend outer space

He said he wanted atmosphere, tho.

nickutz
Feb 3, 2004

Put blue and red chicken in mouth plz

asvodel posted:

Maybe you should use this as an opportunity to actually learn about places and people you don't actually know. That's generally how people experience personal growth.

But on the other hand you sound like the countless other losers obsessed with "hipster city cred" so have fun with that.

asvodel
Oct 10, 2012

nickutz posted:

Maybe you should use this as an opportunity to actually learn about places and people you don't actually know. That's generally how people experience personal growth.

But on the other hand you sound like the countless other losers obsessed with "hipster city cred" so have fun with that.

That is not really true, I have no idea what to do with my life so I am open to anything at the moment.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
Do you like weed?

nickutz
Feb 3, 2004

Put blue and red chicken in mouth plz

asvodel posted:

That is not really true, I have no idea what to do with my life so I am open to anything at the moment.

Certainly didn't sound like you were open to anything.

Mr.Bob posted:

Asheville NC. Seriously, it is crazy diverse and fun.

The Carolinas kick rear end. Go there OP, if you aren't afraid of the Southeast U.S. boogeyman.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
If you're willing to go through the effort of obtaining a self-employment visa (and assuming they give you one), and you want a completely fresh start, you could try somewhere in Spain. The language isn't particularly difficult to learn for English-speakers, a lot of people do speak English, the cost of living is reasonable, the weather is pretty good, and it's solidly first-world.

Taxes are a bit high, but they have the crazy idea that you could actually provide services with the money you collect, so it ends up working out okay. Unemployment is high, but it sounds like that won't be a huge issue for you unless you're trying to solicit work locally.

asvodel
Oct 10, 2012

PT6A posted:

If you're willing to go through the effort of obtaining a self-employment visa (and assuming they give you one), and you want a completely fresh start, you could try somewhere in Spain. The language isn't particularly difficult to learn for English-speakers, a lot of people do speak English, the cost of living is reasonable, the weather is pretty good, and it's solidly first-world.

Taxes are a bit high, but they have the crazy idea that you could actually provide services with the money you collect, so it ends up working out okay. Unemployment is high, but it sounds like that won't be a huge issue for you unless you're trying to solicit work locally.

I didn't know there was such a thing as a self-employment visa! That really changes things, as I thought I was locked out of moving to any other country for more than a few months due to the nature of my work. Will have to look into it. Spain was one of my thoughts before I narrowed things down to the US for that reason.

Baron Fuzzlewhack
Sep 22, 2010

ALIVE ENOUGH TO DIE
If you're really dead-set on Portland, just move to Richmond, VA. You'll get virtually the same culture here, and the local university has made the city infinitely more diverse than, say, fifteen years ago.

You'll be closer to your family on the east coast, too, so you won't end up feeling quite as isolated.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

Baron Fuzzlewhack posted:

If you're really dead-set on Portland, just move to Richmond, VA. You'll get virtually the same culture here, and the local university has made the city infinitely more diverse than, say, fifteen years ago.

You'll be closer to your family on the east coast, too, so you won't end up feeling quite as isolated.

But you will be in the south where the weather is complete poo poo and the Bible Belt culture is very alive and thriving.

asvodel
Oct 10, 2012

goodness posted:

But you will be in the south where the weather is complete poo poo and the Bible Belt culture is very alive and thriving.

That is exactly why I had bad feelings toward the south but no it's an unfounded bias or whatever

College town could be a good idea though.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

asvodel posted:

That is exactly why I had bad feelings toward the south but no it's an unfounded bias or whatever

College town could be a good idea though.

It's not an unfounded bias. I grew up in one of the more progressive areas in the south for 20 years and it was still prevalent everywhere. It's a sad reality of their history and culture.

A college town is obviously a little better but the townsfolk will still be southern.

asvodel
Oct 10, 2012

goodness posted:

It's not an unfounded bias. I grew up in one of the more progressive areas in the south for 20 years and it was still prevalent everywhere. It's a sad reality of their history and culture.

A college town is obviously a little better but the townsfolk will still be southern.

Yeah what I meant is that people in the thread accuse me of unfounded bias against the American Southeast but the bad aspects of the general culture is why I think that.
My mother grew up in the deep South in the 1960s and moved away to get away from all of it so that probably forms my opinion about it.
I am sure things have changed but not entirely.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

asvodel posted:

I didn't know there was such a thing as a self-employment visa! That really changes things, as I thought I was locked out of moving to any other country for more than a few months due to the nature of my work. Will have to look into it. Spain was one of my thoughts before I narrowed things down to the US for that reason.

I have absolutely no idea what the requirements are, or how easy it is to get, but it might apply to you. If you're willing to pay Spanish taxes, and won't be taking a job away from a Spanish citizen, I'm going to guess they'd grant it, but I'm honestly not sure.

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Don't move without a firm job offer.

If you want to get things going now, move out and live on your own where you are currently located.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asvodel
Oct 10, 2012

n8r posted:

Don't move without a firm job offer.

If you want to get things going now, move out and live on your own where you are currently located.

I already have a job that I do over the internet.
So this shouldn't be a problem.

• Locked thread