Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
faarcyde
Dec 5, 2005
what the hell did you trade Jay Buhner for!?
You might want to move to a diverse place to diversify your yearning for diverse people. Somewhere multicultural so you can culture it up with different cultures.

Maybe helpful answer: Taos, New Mexico. Different climate, friendly people, reasonably low cost of living, close to Santa Fe / Albuquerque, lots of outdoor activities.

On an e/n note, don't wait a year to make a decision. Take a couple weeks to figure it out then give yourself a month to plan it out. It shouldn't take more than that. Do something drastic with your life and don't look back. Envision ten years from now how this was the decision that turned it around for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Light Eternal
Jun 12, 2006

A man who dares to waste one hour of time has not discovered the value of life.
You cannot live in Portland on 30k a year. Please do not move there.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
At least you can get by in Reno at 30k a year. Don't move here without a job.

Ferdinand the Bull
Jul 30, 2006

$30K a year is gonna be a struggle no matter where you go.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

Ferdinand the Bull posted:

$30K a year is gonna be a struggle no matter where you go.

Not Arkansas!

Mortley
Jan 18, 2005

aux tep unt rep uni ovi

asvodel posted:

I didn't know there was such a thing as a self-employment visa! That really changes things, as I thought I was locked out of moving to any other country for more than a few months due to the nature of my work. Will have to look into it. Spain was one of my thoughts before I narrowed things down to the US for that reason.

It might be easier to get a student visa and roughly $1k/income per month on this program: http://www.mecd.gob.es/eeuu/convocatorias-programas/convocatorias-eeuu/auxiliares-conversacion-eeuu.html if you really want to try out Spain (web site mostly in English). You could likely keep your freelance gig going while working the 10 hours per week that that program requires (you teach conversational English in K-12 schools). Doing your taxes could be hell.

I also recommend New Mexico but doubt you could live on $30k/year in Taos, because it's more or less viewed as a resort town by old people. You could definitely live in Albuquerque and maybe Santa Fe. I liked the southwest because it's fun but not as exclusionary as the real hipster meccas.

Seconding the "don't wait a year" advice. Do it as soon as you have a few grand saved up. Or go into a bit of debt; people have racked up credit card bills for stupider things than justifiably relocating for quality of life.

Mortley fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Jun 26, 2015

Club Sandwich
May 25, 2012
What about Philadelphia? Not drastic enough? Louisville, KY is a great city with lots of cool stuff. As is Chicago, and that definitely fulfills the big city requirement.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
why not just throw a dart at a globe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asvodel
Oct 10, 2012

Reason posted:

why not just throw a dart at a globe?

I did that and now I'm trying to decide what to bring on my raft for living in the Pacific ocean

• Locked thread