Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

Gammatron 64 posted:

I think it's because Ayn Rand and her followers tend to be literal sociopaths who go beyond not having empathy but thinking that empathy is something that is to be detested

Well, even on this they're hypocritical. The ultrawonderful industriastscientistgeniuses who are here heroes totally get off on each other, they feel strong zesty emotions being around each other, they value each other's company. The whole plot of the book is about them forming a community, not them going off as individuals. So that they're setting up a system where everyone like them will suffer forever more, except the people in their gulch, is even weirder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

Rand is the original welfare queen

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.
There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker
In thinking about what makes the story (leaving aside the objectivist philosophy) particular pernicious, I think what is most troubling is that its influence is inversely proportional to your worldly experience/exposure.

If you come into the book with even a fair grasp of world history, how societies function, how individuals operate, you quickly reach a wall of unbelievable that thereafter you're constantly pushing through. It's nearly impossible to come up with plausible explanations for why the Atlas Shrugged world is in the state that it's in and why the so-called "captains of industry" are acting the way they do. I found myself constantly saying "This doesn't make sense!" before reaching a grudging acceptance in the book's context to move forward in the story.

However, if you're largely ignorant, I can see where the implausibility wouldn't just not bother you, but you'd buy into it entirely.

That's the reason why the great quote is so true.

Nathilus
Apr 4, 2002

I alone can see through the media bias.

I'm also stupid on a scale that can only be measured in Reddits.
If you're like me you'll never get to the objectionable philosophy because of the TLDR factor. Rand certainly had a gift for getting elbow deep in her own borderline if you know what I mean. Not that I've never vomited up billions of bullshit words of useless drivel, but I tend to come to my senses and destroy them before anyone knows, most times. And of course my sins in that arena are microscopic compared to the length of absolute garbage that rand managed to poo poo out.

There might be a GIGO factor of the premise itself being patently ridiculous, but I have to trust other peoples' opinions about it since I can't even get past the horrors she wraught with the English language itself. Whenever I try to pick it up, the text only comes through as meaningless but still annoying wah-wah noises like the adults from charlie brown.

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out
i'm surprised an ayn rand thread has gone on for over two pages without anyone bringing up the hickman stuff

http://michaelprescott.freeservers.com/romancing-the-stone-cold.html

Whiskey Sours
Jan 25, 2014

Weather proof.
I tried reading it a couple years ago because I hate myself. I got three chapters in before I decided I couldn't take it anymore.

The plot is basically "sociopathic ubermenschen lecture braindead liberal strawmen."

Throwing Turtles
May 3, 2015
Leaving the philosophy aside everybody in the book falls into one of two categories. Either your the hero and you monologue at people till your done with your point, or your one of the villains and you exist to be monologued at. Very seldom will you see dialog in the book.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

Throwing Turtles posted:

Leaving the philosophy aside everybody in the book falls into one of two categories. Either your the hero and you monologue at people till your done with your point, or your one of the villains and you exist to be monologued at. Very seldom will you see dialog in the book.

Oh no, there's the third category of people: the good proles who work for the industry giants because they 1) like their work and 2) know it's worth (hence they don't ask for pay raises). There are steel smelters who like smelting steel a whole lot, railway workers who love rail, etc. Everyone else is a commie moocher and Norway is a starving communist hellhole.

Basically, those people work because they feel they should, which leaves it close to communism: if everyone does their job because they like it and they're good at it, why do we need money that much (well, scarcity of goods, but you probably get where I'm going).

...and you don't give gifts to people to make them happier, but solely because you like to be able to give them. Otherwise, it's immoral lies or something.

I somewhat liked her writing style (taking it with a grain of salt; I got my avatar for a reason), but the strawmen are hard to get through, and I the sheer incompetence of everyone who's not an industrialist superman breaks suspension of disbelief. I got about a third of the book in, so no John Galt yet.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES

Gum posted:

i'm surprised an ayn rand thread has gone on for over two pages without anyone bringing up the hickman stuff

http://michaelprescott.freeservers.com/romancing-the-stone-cold.html

This isn't that shocking when her philosophy can be boiled down to "Everything and anything is justifiable if you feel good after doing it"

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

Don't forget there are three movies that earnestly summarize the book while wasting significantly less of your free time. I watched the first two on streaming in a drunken haze but they're only on dvd now so I'm much less inclined to finish. Plus they sucked hard.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

LloydDobler posted:

Plus they sucked hard.
Upon release of the First Installment, the GLORIOUS FREE MARKET spoke (because it made poo poo-all money).

Like good, rational Objectivists, the producers whined that no one understood how important their movie was and, against all common fiscal sense, produced a second part to a movie no one wanted to watch.

Rickety Cricket
Jan 6, 2011

I must be at the nexus of the universe!

FilthyImp posted:

Upon release of the First Installment, the GLORIOUS FREE MARKET spoke (because it made poo poo-all money).

Like good, rational Objectivists, the producers whined that no one understood how important their movie was and, against all common fiscal sense, produced a second part to a movie no one wanted to watch.

Wasn't Part II funded by ultra conservative Fox News types?

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
Which part has the speech? Is that in III or is it coming in IV?

JcDent
May 13, 2013

eschaton posted:

both?

surc
Aug 17, 2004

eschaton posted:

Is... is this serious? They're actually going through the whole book as a quadrilogy of films?

John Liver
May 4, 2009

Never read Atlas Shrugged but I did read The Fountainhead, that book blows. Slow, plodding and not interesting in the least, even for me and my weird tastes with architecture. Moves like an episodic soap opera without drama or passion. It ends with a junior version of the Galt speech which is equally senseless.

Also the female lead is raped. Worse, she's raped by the alleged protagonist, and because he is Rand's idealized man, this rape victim decides that he's super hot for violating her rights like that. They become a couple.

I never take Ayn Rand seriously because of this. Woman was hosed in the head.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

surc posted:

Is... is this serious? They're actually going through the whole book as a quadrilogy of films?

The trilogy only made $8.8 million. The first movie's budget was $20,000,000. I don't think these people understand economics as much as they think they do.

Mister Kingdom fucked around with this message at 00:29 on Jul 8, 2015

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES

Mister Kingdom posted:

The trilogy only made $8.8 million. The first movie's budget was $20,000,000. I don't think these people understand economics as mush as they think they do.

I think they understand the economics behind a blank check in exchange for jack off material for some koch brothers type perfectly well.

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Shayu posted:

I think her prose is very long winded and generally I find Atlas Shrugged to not be very engaging but you shouldn't disregard it out right. She gets a lot of hate but her philosophy outlined in Atlas Shrugged is worthy of a little consideration at least.

But since her philosophy is built on a false premise (that all human beings start in equal circumstances with equal wealth and equal opportunity), isn't her entire philosophy actually provably wrong?

tsa
Feb 3, 2014

Obdicut posted:

Free will is not an absolute, emotions are tools of cognition, true altruism exists. To give three.

These are hardly settled topics in philosophy, it's a bit silly to claim to have the absolute truth on topics people still spend their entire lives researching. I'm not even sure things like "absolute free will" can be meaningfully and objectively defined.

02-6611-0142-1 posted:

But since her philosophy is built on a false premise (that all human beings start in equal circumstances with equal wealth and equal opportunity), isn't her entire philosophy actually provably wrong?

Her philosophy is not built on this though. Like I said earlier, watch https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All_Watched_Over_by_Machines_of_Loving_Grace_(TV_series)#Love_and_Power by Curtis for a decent picture of her life, it's a lot easier to see where her bizarre philosophy comes from when you learn about her personal life.

TopherCStone
Feb 27, 2013

I am very important and deserve your attention
This is one of the better criticisms of Atlas Shrugged I've found: https://sites.google.com/site/atlassucked/home

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

tsa posted:

These are hardly settled topics in philosophy, it's a bit silly to claim to have the absolute truth on topics people still spend their entire lives researching. I'm not even sure things like "absolute free will" can be meaningfully and objectively defined.

Nah. Nobody believes in absolute free will who isn't being mystical about it, that emotions are tools of cognition is true if you believe cognition exists, and true altriusm is observable.

many johnnys
May 17, 2015

TopherCStone posted:

This is one of the better criticisms of Atlas Shrugged I've found: https://sites.google.com/site/atlassucked/home

Thanks, I was looking for this

JcDent
May 13, 2013

My edition of Atlas Shrugged has a disclaimer that the book is not meant to be an Objectivist Bible, merely a story. An objectivist bible is a whole other book (that you conveniently have to buy) or something.

Point is, they tried to build in defense against criticism on philosophy.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
Here you go OP, much more entertaining than that lovely book

http://activatecomix.com/162-1-1.comic

ElGroucho fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Jul 8, 2015

JcDent
May 13, 2013

ElGroucho posted:

Was already posted, but still a pro-click.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
I wish Wonkette's page wasn't slow as loving poo poo. Otherwise I would pull the links and post them because this is a fun comic.

Ayn Rand runs electricity through Henry Ford's corpse to create a vortex of rational self interest that allows her to travel to the future of 2010

At some point she sees Obama as president and wakes up in a poor house, where a philosophy major asks her which academic journals she's been published in.

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

ElGroucho posted:

This was good and inspired me to order the book version, which also covers the collapse of 2008 and other stuff.

quote:

Perfect illustration for Ayn Rand's famous letter to "Cat Fancy."

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

tsa posted:

look ar mr undergrad rand defender here. absolute freewill, what you will comes about, the universe conforms to your wishes, your will is not conditioned by outside forces.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

eschaton posted:

Perfect illustration for Ayn Rand's famous letter to "Cat Fancy."
What the hell are talking abo--?

http://www.businessinsider.com/ayn-rands-letter-to-cat-fancy-magazine-2014-6 posted:

Ayn Rand was all about objectivism, the philosophical system for the selfish, but she was, apparently, also all about cats.

She loved cats so much that she subscribed to "Cat Fancy" magazine and engaged in correspondence with them on March 20, 1966.

Mallory Ortberg of The Toast came across this letter in the book "The Letters Of Ayn Rand."

Here's the text:

Dear Miss Smith,

You ask whether I own cats or simply enjoy them, or both. The answer is: both. I love cats in general and own two in particular.

You ask: “We are assuming that you have an interest in cats, or was your subscription strictly objective?” My subscription was strictly objective because I have an interest in cats. I can demonstrate objectively that cats are of a great value, and the carter issue of Cat Fancy magazine can serve as part of the evidence. (“Objective” does not mean “disinterested” or indifferent; it means corresponding to the facts of reality and applies both to knowledge and to values.)

I subscribed to Cat Fancy primarily for the sake of the picture, and found the charter issue very interesting and enjoyable.

As Animal New York pointed out, "Big up to Rand to even responding to bait, but tying objectivism to cats is like applying the String Theory to jealousy. A stretch. And yet, she manages to do so, in the driest way possible."

But the real applause goes to the editors of "Cat Fancy" magazine, who must have felt like they really put themselves on the map after this back-and-forth.
Good lord.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

I can demonstrate objectively that cats are of a great value

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Enfys posted:

I can demonstrate objectively that cats are of a great value
Cats are selfish dickwads that show active contempt towards the people that are responsible for their wellbeing.

Naturally, Rand loved them.

Objectively, they follow nothing but natural self interest.

Tulul
Oct 23, 2013

THAT SOUND WILL FOLLOW ME TO HELL.

quote:

At the time, she was planning a novel that was to be titled The Little Street, the projected hero of which was named Danny Renahan.According to Rand scholar Chris Matthew Sciabarra, she deliberately modeled Renahan - intended to be her first sketch of her ideal man - after this same William Edward Hickman. Renahan, she enthuses in another journal entry, "is born with a wonderful, free, light consciousness -- [resulting from] the absolute lack of social instinct or herd feeling. He does not understand, because he has no organ for understanding, the necessity, meaning, or importance of other people ... Other people do not exist for him and he does not understand why they should." (Journals, pp. 27, 21-22; emphasis hers.)

"At the rendezvous, Mr. Parker handed over the money to a young man who was waiting for him in a parked car. When Mr. Parker paid the ransom, he could see his daughter, Marion, sitting in the passenger seat next to the suspect. As soon as the money was exchanged, the suspect drove off with the victim still in the car. At the end of the street, Marion's corpse was dumped onto the pavement. She was dead. Her legs had been chopped off and her eyes had been wired open to appear as if she was still alive. Her internal organs had been cut out and pieces of her body were later found strewn all over the Los Angeles area."

"He was conveyed back to Los Angeles where he promptly confessed to another murder he committed during a drug store hold-up. Eventually, Hickman confessed to a dozen armed robberies. 'This is going to get interesting before it's over,' he told investigators. 'Marion and I were good friends,' he said, 'and we really had a good time when we were together and I really liked her. I'm sorry that she was killed.' Hickman never said why he had killed the girl and cut off her legs."

Of The Fountainhead's hero, Howard Roark: He "has learned long ago, with his first consciousness, two things which dominate his entire attitude toward life: his own superiority and the utter worthlessness of the world." (Journals, p. 93.)

"For reasons given in the following notes, AR concluded that the intensity of the public's hatred was primarily 'because of the man who committed the crime and not because of the crime he committed.' The mob hated Hickman for his independence; she chose him as a model for the same reason.

"Hickman served as a model for [her fictional hero] Danny [Renahan] only in strictly limited respects, which AR names in her notes. And he does commit a crime in the story, but it is nothing like Hickman's. To guard against any misinterpretation, I quote her own statement regarding the relationship between her hero and Hickman:

" '[My hero is] very far from him, of course. The outside of Hickman, but not the inside. Much deeper and much more. A Hickman with a purpose. And without the degeneracy. It is more exact to say that the model is not Hickman, but what Hickman suggested to me.' "

"He shows how impossible it is for a genuinely beautiful soul to succeed at present, for in all [aspects of] modern life, one has to be a hypocrite, to bend and tolerate. This boy wanted to command and smash away things and people he didn't approve of."

"The first thing that impresses me about the case is the ferocious rage of a whole society against one man. No matter what the man did, there is always something loathsome in the 'virtuous' indignation and mass-hatred of the 'majority.'... It is repulsive to see all these beings with worse sins and crimes in their own lives, virtuously condemning a criminal...

"This is not just the case of a terrible crime. It is not the crime alone that has raised the fury of public hatred. It is the case of a daring challenge to society. It is the fact that a crime has been committed by one man, alone; that this man knew it was against all laws of humanity and intended that way; that he does not want to recognize it as a crime and that he feels superior to all. It is the amazing picture of a man with no regard whatever for all that society holds sacred, and with a consciousness all his own. A man who really stands alone, in action and in soul."

"And when we look at the other side of it -- there is a brilliant, unusual, exceptional boy turned into a purposeless monster. By whom? By what? Is it not by that very society that is now yelling so virtuously in its role of innocent victim? He had a brilliant mind, a romantic, adventurous, impatient soul and a straight, uncompromising, proud character. What had society to offer him? A wretched, insane family as the ideal home, a Y.M.C.A. club as social honor, and a bank-page job as ambition and career...

"If he had any desires and ambitions -- what was the way before him? A long, slow, soul-eating, heart-wrecking toil and struggle; the degrading, ignoble road of silent pain and loud compromises....

"A strong man can eventually trample society under his feet. That boy was not strong enough. But is that his crime? Is it his crime that he was too impatient, fiery and proud to go that slow way? That he was not able to serve, when he felt worthy to rule; to obey, when he wanted to command?...

"He was given [nothing with which] to fill his life. What was he offered to fill his soul? The petty, narrow, inconsistent, hypocritical ideology of present-day humanity. All the criminal, ludicrous, tragic nonsense of Christianity and its morals, virtues, and consequences. Is it any wonder that he didn't accept it?"

"What could society answer, if that boy were to say: 'Yes. I am a monstrous criminal, but what are you?' "

"The fact that he looks like 'a bad boy with a very winning grin,' that he makes you like him the whole time you're in his presence..."

Still writing of Hickman, she confesses to her "involuntary, irresistible sympathy for him, which I cannot help feeling just because of [his antisocial nature] and in spite of everything else." Regarding his credo (the full statement of which is, "I am like the state: what is good for me is right"), Rand writes, "Even if he wasn't big enough to live by that attitude, he deserves credit for saying it so brilliantly."

Taken from here.

So any time you read a Rand novel, you should mentally replace her protagonists with a man who kidnapped a little girl, gruesomely murdered said little girl, took money from the father for ransom, and then threw his daughter's mutilated corpse out onto the street in front of him. That sort of rejection of the secondhander masses and nonconformity to a parasitic society exemplifies the essence of Objectivism.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Don't read Atlas Shrugged, read Anthem because it's not utterly unbearable.

Don't read Anthem, listen to Rush's 2112 because it tells pretty much the same story in 20 minutes.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Obdicut posted:

Well, even on this they're hypocritical. The ultrawonderful industriastscientistgeniuses who are here heroes totally get off on each other, they feel strong zesty emotions being around each other, they value each other's company. The whole plot of the book is about them forming a community, not them going off as individuals. So that they're setting up a system where everyone like them will suffer forever more, except the people in their gulch, is even weirder.

Also in their paradise of liberty it's against the law to say 'give' but that's okay because it's private property so it's not a law like the moochers' laws more like a contract with your friendly company town that will throw you into the wilderness to starve for crimethink.

That's not to say that friendly interaction is banned or anything, if your best friend needs a ride to the airport of course you won't say "sure I'll give you one" like a sniveling moocher trying to servilely curry favor, you'd say "okay that'll be five bucks. Oh wait this is for your time-critical appointment for life-saving cancer surgery right? Five hundred bucks." Now that's friendship.

Rand had a curiously cheery way of explaining that it only makes sense to be friends with people you can use up until they can't do anything for you anymore and then it's time to drop them like a bad habit. Also she died friendless and alone, how unexpected and mysterious.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 10:52 on Jul 16, 2015

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

She used a different (her original?) name in order to collect welfare lol

Grifter
Jul 24, 2003

I do this technique called a suplex. You probably haven't heard of it, it's pretty obscure.

Mister Kingdom posted:

The trilogy only made $8.8 million. The first movie's budget was $20,000,000. I don't think these people understand economics as much as they think they do.
This fits their narrative perfectly. To them there are only a few titans of industry, because they possess a rare combination of almost godlike powers paired with a total lack of empathy for those around them. 100% of those titans saw the movie. The proles all rushed off to a movie about people with almost godlike powers who possess a sense of empathy for those around them (The Avengers). For enabling this behavior, RDJ has been banned from the Gulch forever. Also because of the one time he got high as poo poo and smashed up the bathroom.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

How did she reconcile being a hard working genius and also being poor as gently caress? According to her logic that makes her a lazy parasite compared to Paris Hilton.

Also, do you have to banish your children from utopian communist society of wealth creators, if they turn out to be spoiled brats not wanting to sweat from their brow?

Are there lazy wealth creators in Utopia? Like for example the Jenkins Family, who don't want to take any meth and only work 16 hour shifts a day. Lazy parasites!

Who takes care of the children while all the wealth is created?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
You know when self-absorbed assholes have adolescent fantasies about how everyone else will regret their absence, usually they just have the grace to off themselves.

• Locked thread