Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
oliwan
Jul 20, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
im not sure what is worse: reading atlas shrugged and thinking it is good, or disliking it without reading it (and asking others why you should dislike it)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
I don't need to watch Dude, Where's My Car to know it sucks donkey dick

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

oliwan posted:

im not sure what is worse: reading atlas shrugged and thinking it is good, or disliking it without reading it (and asking others why you should dislike it)

Here are a thousand poo poo sandwiches.

what do you mean you don't like eating a thousand poo poo sandwiches, you haven't even tried eating all of them.

Obdicut
May 15, 2012

"What election?"

oliwan posted:

It's reading it and thinking that it's good that's worse.

Kind of like if you ask your friend "Hey, is the new Transformers movie any good" and he says "Nah it sucks" you haven't done a Bad Thing.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

ElGroucho posted:

DWMC could be taught as an example of a well-plotted traditional three-act story.

It presents an odd premise, walks through a bunch of seemingly random (but strangely connected) events, then ties every stupid, nonsensical thing into a coherent finale.

It's the smartest stupid movie ever made.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!
Seriously, that was a terrible example ElGroucho.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe
Oh, my bad, didn't know we were dick riding Ashton Coocher ITT

Seriously, don't read that book; if you are a real Objectivist, you should be out creating instead of reading a book by a big time loser

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist
time to try this puppy out

FilthyImp posted:

DWMC could be taught as an example of a well-plotted traditional three-act story.

It presents an odd premise, walks through a bunch of seemingly random (but strangely connected) events, then ties every stupid, nonsensical thing into a coherent finale.

It's the smartest stupid movie ever made.

oh so its basically every single stoner movie ever made

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!
I wanted to make a Fifty Shades comparison, but writing in Shades is so simplistic, you'd be breezing through that poo poo on cruise control, basically wasting no time.

Freudian slippers
Jun 23, 2009
US Goon shocked and appalled to find that world is a dirty, unjust place

ElGroucho posted:

That's what I thought until I watched it too. Seriusly, it's pretty funny.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

JcDent posted:

I wanted to make a Fifty Shades comparison, but writing in Shades is so simplistic, you'd be breezing through that poo poo on cruise control, basically wasting no time.

I love that the writing in Twilight was so purpley and bad that it was basically impossible to write a parody of it, since it just came out reading exactly the same as Twilight. Then Fifty Shades comes along and somehow it's worse.

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

MikeCrotch posted:

I love that the writing in Twilight was so purpley and bad that it was basically impossible to write a parody of it, since it just came out reading exactly the same as Twilight. Then Fifty Shades comes along and somehow it's worse.

And the movie was somehow worse, which is a sign that there's no limits to the human potential.

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
I always thought Harold and Kumar Go to White Castle was the movie Dude, Where's My Car was supposed to be.

I'm not going to lie, I saw DWMC in theaters. I was that bored at the time evidently.

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist

necrobobsledder posted:

I always thought Harold and Kumar Go to White Castle was the movie Dude, Where's My Car was supposed to be.

I'm not going to lie, I saw DWMC in theaters. I was that bored at the time evidently.

how did you manage to get stoned inside a movie theater

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

Gum posted:

how did you manage to get stoned inside a movie theater

Medible or vape pen

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Stinkier than your average bear
Lipstick Apathy
I can objectively prove that the Atlas Shrugged movies would have been more watchable if they were directed by Tommy Wiseau

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

So in conclusion, Rand was one of the only things worse than a psychopath - an :turianass:ordinary:turianass: person who worshipped her totally badass idea of what she thought a psychopath was, desperately wishing she could become one?

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

JcDent posted:

Oh no, there's the third category of people: the good proles who work for the industry giants because they 1) like their work and 2) know it's worth (hence they don't ask for pay raises). There are steel smelters who like smelting steel a whole lot, railway workers who love rail, etc. Everyone else is a commie moocher and Norway is a starving communist hellhole.

Basically, those people work because they feel they should, which leaves it close to communism: if everyone does their job because they like it and they're good at it, why do we need money that much (well, scarcity of goods, but you probably get where I'm going).

...and you don't give gifts to people to make them happier, but solely because you like to be able to give them. Otherwise, it's immoral lies or something.

I somewhat liked her writing style (taking it with a grain of salt; I got my avatar for a reason), but the strawmen are hard to get through, and I the sheer incompetence of everyone who's not an industrialist superman breaks suspension of disbelief. I got about a third of the book in, so no John Galt yet.

What is the Av from

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Frostwerks posted:

What is the Av from

I think it's from Angry Mark and the Lightning Bowl

JohnGalt
Aug 7, 2012
It's a bad book

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
I actually tried to read it coming at it from a position of ignorance because I had always seen scholarship applications that ask you to write an essay about it and at that point, I had no idea what Atlas Shrugged was about.

I think I got to page 50. The book is immensely wordy and it is downright dull.

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I preferred your last avatar, so I put it back. My apologies to the pedo who purchased your last one (it's always projection).
Gore Vidal wrote a short essay on Ayn Rand's philosophy some 54 years ago. He made some interesting points, but this one is a fairly concise summary of what I found most off-putting about Atlas Shrugged:

"For one thing, it is gratuitous to advise any human being to look out for himself. You can be sure that he will. It is far more difficult to persuade him to help his neighbor to build a dam or to defend a town or to give food he has accumulated to the victims of a famine. But since we must live together, dependent upon one another for many things and services, altruism is necessary to survival. To get people to do needed things is the perennial hard task of government, not to mention of religion and philosophy."

http://www.esquire.com/news-politics/a4595/comment-0761/

Gutter Phoenix
Jul 23, 2013

I preferred your last avatar, so I put it back. My apologies to the pedo who purchased your last one (it's always projection).
Another chestnut from the essay quoted above:

"She has a great attraction for simple people who are puzzled by organized society, who object to paying taxes, who dislike the "welfare" state, who feel guilt at the thought of the suffering of others but who would like to harden their hearts. For them, she has an enticing prescription: altruism is the root of all evil, self-interest is the only good, and if you're dumb or incompetent that's your lookout."

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Gutter Phoenix posted:

Another chestnut from the essay quoted above:

"She has a great attraction for simple people who are puzzled by organized society, who object to paying taxes, who dislike the "welfare" state, who feel guilt at the thought of the suffering of others but who would like to harden their hearts. For them, she has an enticing prescription: altruism is the root of all evil, self-interest is the only good, and if you're dumb or incompetent that's your lookout."

An accurate description of libertarians.

In addition,

many johnnys posted:

Rand is the original welfare queen
this can never be pointed out often enough.

I actually don't think it's inconsistent because I don't give a poo poo about hypocrisy so profiting from a broken system because it's convenient and everyone does it while calling for change is ok going galt involves sucking the life out of society anyway but it never stops being funny

suck my woke dick fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Aug 27, 2015

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Objectivism has perfected the moral defense for FYGM

Ayn Rand posted:

Many students of Objectivism are troubled by a certain kind of moral dilemma confronting them in today’s society. We are frequently asked the questions: “Is it morally proper to accept scholarships, private or public?” and: “Is it morally proper for an advocate of capitalism to accept a government research grant or a government job?”

I shall hasten to answer: “Yes”—then proceed to explain and qualify it. There are many confusions on these issues, created by the influence and implications of the altruist morality.

There is nothing wrong in accepting private scholarships. The fact that a man has no claim on others (i.e., that it is not their moral duty to help him and that he cannot demand their help as his right) does not preclude or prohibit good will among men and does not make it immoral to offer or to accept voluntary, non-sacrificial assistance.

A different principle and different considerations are involved in the case of public (i.e., governmental) scholarships. The right to accept them rests on the right of the victims to the property (or some part of it) which was taken from them by force.

The recipient of a public scholarship is morally justified only so long as he regards it as restitution and opposes all forms of welfare statism. Those who advocate public scholarships, have no right to them; those who oppose them, have. If this sounds like a paradox, the fault lies in the moral contradictions of welfare statism, not in its victims.

Since there is no such thing as the right of some men to vote away the rights of others, and no such thing as the right of the government to seize the property of some men for the unearned benefit of others—the advocates and supporters of the welfare state are morally guilty of robbing their opponents, and the fact that the robbery is legalized makes it morally worse, not better. The victims do not have to add self-inflicted martyrdom to the injury done to them by others; they do not have to let the looters profit doubly, by letting them distribute the money exclusively to the parasites who clamored for it. Whenever the welfare-state laws offer them some small restitution, the victims should take it . . . .

The same moral principles and considerations apply to the issue of accepting social security, unemployment insurance or other payments of that kind. It is obvious, in such cases, that a man receives his own money which was taken from him by force, directly and specifically, without his consent, against his own choice. Those who advocated such laws are morally guilty, since they assumed the “right” to force employers and unwilling co-workers. But the victims, who opposed such laws, have a clear right to any refund of their own money—and they would not advance the cause of freedom if they left their money, unclaimed, for the benefit of the welfare-state administration.

Well yes I benefited from free schooling and education and just landed a great job, but I always opposed them in my heart so now that I'm the one paying taxes instead of getting free poo poo I don't owe a dime and now that I no longer need it I'm going to do everything I can to destroy the next generation's education.

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Aug 28, 2015

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
Sad ramblings of Ayn Rand's simulated subconscious coming up. You will find the appropriate soundtrack below. I take no responsibility for any displeasure anyone might feel at being exposed to her. Please don't let these memes invade your dreams.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S-Xm7s9eGxU

Some college students fear that accepting all this money to further their learning might be wrong. Do not recoil, poor children who so rationally despise kindness! This private scholarship is necessarily akin to the Objective dragon showing off his fire breath. It is for the greater purpose of sex or more money.

Is it a public scholarship? Well, have you had sufficient taxes to pay for it stolen from you before you began your education, you stupid lecherous ignorant cretin scum!? If not, kill yourself, you immoral leech!

Since history does not exist, and it was never the case that my disgusting menopausal ilk has not had the right to vote in this Utopian heaven called America, and since any stable funding of the government is outlawed by the Cosmic Logbook of Morality That Only Ayn Rand Can See With Her Special Seeing Stone, your W-2 is in fact a hideous felon. Please daddy don't let the Bolsheviks take my teddy Without any emotional sway of any kind at all affecting my neuronal system, I can logically and objectively say that anyone who falls through the cracks is in fact a subhuman.

If you are allowed to eat when you do not have enough money to exchange for the food, you ought best to die, because it is wrong to bring you back into the workforce by providing you some energy and shelter unless you sexy.

gently caress me, John Galt! HWURUWRUWUREJEWEWJIWHRHWIRHW :a2m:

I found that stimulating
:phoneline::phoneline::phoneline::phoneline::phoneline::phoneline::phoneline::phoneline::phoneline::phoneline::phoneline::phoneline:

Wow, glad that's over. I hope we all learned something today.

blugbee
Mar 1, 2004
hi c-fut
The best part is that the main character was born into the railroad family and didn't earn or work her way to that spot.

Also if Galt was so smart why didn't he take his drat speech to his writer bros and have them edit it good god that was bad

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

blugbee posted:

The best part is that the main character was born into the railroad family and didn't earn or work her way to that spot.

Also if Galt was so smart why didn't he take his drat speech to his writer bros and have them edit it good god that was bad

you just can't appreciate the glory that is galtse.cx, pleb :smug:

SgtScruffy
Dec 27, 2003

Babies.

I tried reading Atlas Shrugged in college to see what the hub-bub was about (and, admittanly, because I thought "eh, Bioshock is based on it, might as well see the similarities). I got about 500 pages in and just couldn't take it anymore - as people have said, it's just not a well written book. I disagree with the philosophy as well, but it doesn't help that it has the one-two punch of objectivism and just plain bad writing.

What I'd recommend is that you read Anthem - it's something like 75 pages, and distills Objectivism and Rand's writing down to something halfway decently written and short. Then if you say "huh, I want to learn more about this philosophy and this writer!" then you can move on to Atlas Shrugged or whatever.

Also 2112 was based on Anthem

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

To be fair, if you feel objectivism is the correct philosophy for you you should reevaluate your life choices.

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks
The only time I actually had fun while reading Rand was that part in The Fountainhead where Rand rages against the stockmarket and stockholders.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Also when awkward Rand references are shoehorned into things, eg Ayn Rand space spation orbiting the planet Fountainhead.

In addition, I can't believe nobody has made a Fatlas Smugged joke. You disappoint me, goons.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Kemper Boyd posted:

The only time I actually had fun while reading Rand was that part in The Fountainhead where Rand rages against the stockmarket and stockholders.

Atlas Shrugged is great for that too because that one rear end in a top hat heir is able to somehow know that every single person who owns stock in his company is an irrational looter poopyhead so that makes it okay to commit fraud and swindle them for buying his stock.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

VitalSigns posted:

Objectivism has perfected the moral defense for FYGM

Well yes I benefited from free schooling and education and just landed a great job, but I always opposed them in my heart so now that I'm the one paying taxes instead of getting free poo poo I don't owe a dime and now that I no longer need it I'm going to do everything I can to destroy the next generation's education.

What's weird is that she equates government provided College Scholarships with welfare.

It's not. It's an attempt to engineer the growth of the economy by educating more of the workforce. One of the original examples of a college scholarship is West Point, a college that has always been entirely paid for by the government regardless of the means of the attendants. I'm not sure that educating soldiers to provide better service is welfare.

From the point of view of the recipient it may be welfare-like, if you hold that an education has any value external to the person who is educated (I'm not sure I do). From the point of view of the government providing the scholarships it's an objectively rational attempt to generate more taxes per unit.

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien

Murgos posted:

if you hold that an education has any value external to the person who is educated (I'm not sure I do).

wow, really? imagine the overall general "utility" of the western world if, at least, primary education weren't mandated.

MrNemo
Aug 26, 2010

"I just love beeting off"

If we could get away from that it would help make clearer the utter worthlessness of the leeches and moochers and the resources it freed up could be better put to use by Rational Captains of Inudstry to enrich themselves and by extension all of society.

When part of your economic ideology is literally 'people that can't afford to buy food should starve in the street (but not me because it's this system for moochers that keeps me down)' then there really isn't any sensible way you're going to evaluate the economic worth of anything.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

Sizone posted:

wow, really? imagine the overall general "utility" of the western world if, at least, primary education weren't mandated.

The western Education system is a huge failure fwiw.

Gum
Mar 9, 2008

oho, a rapist

Murgos posted:

From the point of view of the recipient it may be welfare-like, if you hold that an education has any value external to the person who is educated (I'm not sure I do).

Are you honestly saying that you can't think of a single example of how someone elses education has benefited you?

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

goodness posted:

The western Education system is a huge failure fwiw.

A university educated physician earns around $100k more a year than someone without a degree. After you graduate, about half of that money goes to the state forever.

Over a lifetime, that's millions of dollars and a 1000+% return on the initial tuition fee investment. Probably a >5% annual return rate over 40-50 years, something a stock investor would cream his pants about.

And even the combined average return rate for all degrees types is pretty good, beaten only by very high performing capital investments. Seriously, compulsatory public education is like one of the best things Marxists managed to push trough. It's a gold mine, lol at the Randites who want to shut it down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
I remember reading it when I was young and impressionable and mostly liking it, and I ended up on a semi-libertarian kick for a while, but I also felt really bad for the scientist and thought it was weird how much poo poo he got.

• Locked thread