Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Talxina
Nov 13, 2014
I'm sure I'm not the only Harley addict on this board. I ride a 2007 Superglide Dyna 1600 twin cam with a few extra chrome bits and pieces. I average around 70 miles a day and it's been the most reliable bike I've had out of the 25 or so bikes I've owned in my 55 years on earth.
How about posting pics of your favorite Harley and I also like to see Bike related Tattoos so post them too.
Here are a few pics of my current ride. (The first pic shows it with risers on the bars that I just fitted to make it a better fit for my stiff bod)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.
Not going to lie: that cooler is probably the best Harley mod I have ever seen.

Superuser008
Feb 7, 2011
You ought to check out Cycle Asylum, AI's two-wheeled subforum if you haven't already.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

We already have a lovely little leather room festooned with all the HARELY DAVIDSON nick nacks and bullshit you could possibly want over at CA. Come hang out with the SA Leatherdaddies.

WARNING: Buell fans also hang out in there.

C.A. HOG

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Not a harley guy myself nice bike and impressed you average 70 miles a day.

Most riders here are some sort of white collar professional and trailer to Sturgis so they can then regale their friends about how HARD CORE HARLEY DAVIDSON they are, while wearing the finest HARLEY DAVIDSON shirt underneath a genuine HARLEY DAVIDSON jacket over their HARLEY DAVIDSON belt and buckle.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Yeah my boss just bought a new harley something or other (electraglide?) with touchscreen navigation and STAGE ONE UPGRADE which I thought was reserved for dudes with subarus and poo poo but it kinda makes sense that harley guys would pick it up.

He always wears the shirts and poo poo at work. I was talking to him about how I'll probably buy a Goldwing soon and he was like "yeah I bought the Harley for the name, Goldwings just don't have resale value!" That's why you buy a used goldwing, duh

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
I think BMW and Honda make the best Harleys.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

slidebite posted:

Most riders here are some sort of white collar professional and trailer to Sturgis so they can then regale their friends about how HARD CORE HARLEY DAVIDSON they are, while wearing the finest HARLEY DAVIDSON shirt underneath a genuine HARLEY DAVIDSON jacket over their HARLEY DAVIDSON belt and buckle.

As this isn't in Cycle Asylum and the OP clearly doesn't fall into the above category, can we use this thread to mock those people?

Last time I was in a Harley Dealer, it was filled with clothing, wallets and other 'lifestyle' stuff - the bikes seemed an afterthought.
I sat on that black, modernish, mean-looking one that looks really cool in photos and looks really cheap and nasty in real life.

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

spog posted:

As this isn't in Cycle Asylum and the OP clearly doesn't fall into the above category, can we use this thread to mock those people?

Last time I was in a Harley Dealer, it was filled with clothing, wallets and other 'lifestyle' stuff - the bikes seemed an afterthought.
I sat on that black, modernish, mean-looking one that looks really cool in photos and looks really cheap and nasty in real life.

I HATE my local Harley dealer. The parts counter people are idiots and everything is overpriced.

I've got a 1983 XLS Roadster that I admittedly don't ride much. It's in a constant state of 'project bike'. Currently has a cracked kickstand (HOW????) and non-working speedo. I'm afraid to take it anywhere due to the kickstand, and haven't gotten around to replacing it yet.

This pic is a few years old..bike looks roughly the same now:

Had motor and electrical issues last year that got me really frustrated so I let it sit for nearly a year. Here's the first start video from a couple weeks ago:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKIdYZXAeOs

Still runs very well, but it has problems you'd expect from a 30+ year old bike.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

Some day when I have money and a place to put it, I want to buy one of the AMF Harleys when they were really terrible.

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

Someone post that rant from CA where the guy was getting accosted at a gas station by the bike guy pushing his kids bikes across the garage to stand around and smoke weed.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

As I pull into the gas station on my black and orange Sportster, I am already on the lookout.

On Pump 1 I’ve got a middle-aged man driving a Valiant with an OCC sticker in the back window. Definite offender, better keep my distance.

Pump 3, a younger guy with a 4×4 Toyata truck. A safer bet than Pump 1, but the retiree filling his Coupe DeVille at Pump 9 looks like my best option.

I kill the motor and roll in to 8 as quiet as I can. Without getting off my bike or removing my helmet, I pull out my wallet, shove my card into the machine, pop the gas cap and grab the high octane nozzle. If my tank was bigger than a canteen, I wouldn’t have to do this so often. But the man in the Cadillac is ignoring me, so it might turn out OK. BEEP BEEP, “Error. See Cashier”. Dammit. I drop the kickstand, take off my helmet and glasses and get in line behind Cadillac Man. He pays for his gas and buys a banana.

Who buys fruit at a gas station?

By the time the cashier straightens me out, the Caddy next to my bike is replaced with an Expedition sporting a big giant HARLEY-DAVIDSON sticker on the back. poo poo. I hoped this year would be different. I thought the hype was over. I prayed that I could go this entire year without having to discuss Jesse loving James with some jackass American Chopper fanboy driving a rig with a bike sticker on it.

He steps out of the vehicle and looks over at my bike, and I know all my hopes and dreams for the 2005 riding season are hosed. He walks up to me like I’m a hot peice of rear end drinking a Manhattan alone at the bar.

“Hey man, nice bike.”

That’s usually how they start out.

“Thanks” I say, trying to sound polite and rude at the same time.

Obviously needing more from this conversation, he opts for the “establish the bad guy” approach. “I almost bought one of these last year but my wife wanted a new roof.”

Sometimes it’s better to say nothing. It makes people uncomfortable and they leave. But every now and then, keeping quiet makes them start looking over the bike and asking more annoying questions.

“That a custom exhaust?”

Well, gently caress. The word “custom” has been used. I panic but can only mutter out a “yep” before he launches into the inevitable banter that I was trying so hard to avoid. Once they say “custom”, it’s basically over.

“Yeah man I was watching Orange County choppers the other day man did you see that spider web bike man that this was sweet they like fabricated all the parts for and stuff and you love choppers don’t you because I think they’re sweet and on American Chopper they made a trike out of a Volkswagen and did all sorts of radical stuff and it was so awesome and I want to have Jesse Jame’s man babies Chopper CHOPPer rake bike stretch custom chrome and the was a bike build-off on the discovery channel did you see it and the old guy was all pissed off at the young guys and they just argued the whole time but somehow they managed to make an awesome bike I bet you saw it yeah you love them too right they made it for Shaq for like $85,000 Chopper chopper chopper choppers chopper orange county american steel chopper bike chopper frame rake ape hangers custom custom custom custom custom I love the discovery channel so much OCC WCC BAD DOG CHOPPERS CHOPPERS INC OMG I want to put beach bars on my refrigerator and like put a lowering kit on it but you know the wife making me buy a car and a house instead man but if it was up to me I’d be living free and riding free on the open road just like Peter Fonda and Jack Nicolaus but I wouldn’t get killed with a shotgun you know what I mean har har cause that would suck and I saw this documentary on Sturgis and all these people were there riding free and checking out the black hills rally rally bike bike custom chopper chopper fabricate chrome chrome chrome sturgis I was gonna ride to sturgis this year but I didn’t have a bike and I had a trailer to bring it but the wife made me sell the trailer hitch so she could buy a new eddie bauer stroller for our baby and some cleets for my kids man I know my kids will grow up to be bikers but right now I’m doing the parenting thing and stuff I may look soft but I’m deep down a real hardcore free riding open road biker man just like you trust me if I had the dough I’d be cruisin with you just like Orange County Choppers check out this tattoo I got it’s a maltese cross I don’t know what that means but its all over every chopper thing because I love choppers you love choppers we all love choppers choppers choppserchopperschopperchopperchopper CHOPPERCHOPPERPEOHRHCHEOCPEPOCHEOR OMG OMG OMG CAN I HAVE SEX WITH YOUR BIKE AND SEND PICTURES TO JESSE JAMES I LOVE BIKES MAN BIKES BIKES BIKES CAUSE LIKE THE OTHER DAY I WAS BUYING SOME BEAN DIP FOR THE LITTLE LEAGUE PARENTS MEETING AND I WAS TALKING TO THIS OTHER GUY WHO REFS THE TIGERS AND HE WAS LIKE MAN ID TRADE IT ALL FOR A RIDE ON A CHOPPER BECAUSE I WATCH THE DISCOVERY CHANNEL 24 HOURS PER DAY BECAUSE ALL THEY EVER SHOW IS CHOPPER GARAGE SHOWS AND THOSE MEN ARE ROUGH AND TOUGH AND THEY WILL BLOW YOUR HOUSE DOWN JUST LIKE THE WOLF IN THE THREE LITTLE PIGS EXCEPT NOT A WOLF BUT LIKE A V-TWIN WITH A BIG WIDE OPEN EXHAUST WITH NO MUFFLER BECAUSE NOISE IS GOOD AND BIKES ARE GOOD AND I LOVE CHOPPERS CHOPPPERS BEACH BARS CHROME CHOPPER RAKE MAN, I’M GONNA MAKE ME A BIKE WITH LIKE SO MUCH RAKE THAT MY BARS JUST GO STRAIGHT OUT ALL THE WAY TO STURGIS AND CHOPPERS ARE COOL BECAUSE THEY CAN’T TURN UNLESS YOU HAVE A FOOTBALL FEILD BUT THATS OK BECAUSE I’M LIVING HARD AND RIDING FREE AND I WEAR CHAPS WHEN I GO TO SLEEP BECAUSE THATS HOW HARD CORE OF A BIKER I AM JUST LIKE JESSE JAMES AND JACK NICKALOOS EXCEPT I HAVE DON’T HAVE A FOOTBALL HELMET PAINTED GOLD BUT WOULDN’T THAT BE AWESOME JUST LIKE IN EASY RIDER MAN HEY WANT TO COME OVER TO MY HOUSE THE WIFE IS WATCHING THE BACHELOR II I HOPE SARAH WINS BUT ANYWAY I TAPED AMERICAN MONSTER CHOPPER GARAGE JAMES JAMES JESSE JAMES CO INC INC AND WE CAN WATCH IT IN THE KIDS ROOM BECAUSE THEY’RE AT PIANO LESSONS TILL 9 ohhh man ohhhh man I loves me some bikes gently caress it man lets just go to the bar right now and sell this truck right now that’s how hardcore I am I mea YOU KNOW ME MAN I DON’T EVEN GET BEHIND THE WHEEL TILL I’VE HAD A SIXER MAN I DRIVE BETTER WHEN IM DRUNK JUST LIKE JESSE JAMES YOU LIKE GRASS MAN IVE GOT GRASS WE CAN GO SMOKE SOME GRASS IN MY GARAGE JUST LIKE ON EASY RIDER BUT WILL HAVE TO MOVE THE KIDS BICYCLES OUT OF THE WAY BUT THATS OK BECAUSE WE’RE HARDCORE AND WE DONT GIVE A gently caress CHOPPER CHOPPER APE HANGER FOOTPEG BEACH BAR EASY RIDER CHOPPER CHOPPER CHROME CUSTOM FABRICATION PAINT 17 LAYER PAINT JOB BUT THE SEAT MAKES MY rear end SORE SO NORMALLY I LIKE TO GET A GOOD SIZED PILLOW AND PUT IT DOWN THERE FOR COMFORT YOU KNOW HOW IT IS AFTER RIDING FREE FOR SO LONG YOUR rear end GETS A LITTLE SORE BUT YOU GET USED TO IT AND YOU LEARN TO LOVE IT RIGHT MAN AM I RITE? !??!@$)! *&Z*t7 -tghyepsihg eoirgu eiugeodiuf g.,dfg
……………….. “

By now I’m about 6 miles away wishing Sportsters had bigger gas tanks and planning new strategies to avoid repetition # 193 of this pointless conversation.

Pointless, just like a chopper. Especially the over-the-top ones on the Discovery Channel. They are cartoon bikes. Choppers are the Desert Eagle .50 of motorcycles. Big and badass and striking and different but for all logistical and practical and resonable purposes, completely loving useless.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

Talxina posted:

I'm sure I'm not the only Harley addict on this board. I ride a 2007 Superglide Dyna 1600 twin cam with a few extra chrome bits and pieces. I average around 70 miles a day and it's been the most reliable bike I've had out of the 25 or so bikes I've owned in my 55 years on earth.
How about posting pics of your favorite Harley and I also like to see Bike related Tattoos so post them too.
Here are a few pics of my current ride. (The first pic shows it with risers on the bars that I just fitted to make it a better fit for my stiff bod)

I'm not a Harley guy but if I were it would be a Dyna. Come on over to CA.

Spiffness posted:

As I pull into the gas station on my black and orange Sportster, I am already on the lookout.

This is amazing. I have experienced this exact same thing on my VFR750. You don't get Harley guy, you get flat-brimmed bro who's all GIXXER this and GIXXER that. You both know that he has never rode a motorcycle and never will, but you both go through the motions anyway.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I'm a bit tubby and don't have much riding experience, plus I'm middle-class and have a white collar job. I would quite like a Fat Boy, but am I too young for a Harley at 33? Should I wait until I'm more middle-aged?

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

InitialDave posted:

I'm a bit tubby and don't have much riding experience, plus I'm middle-class and have a white collar job. I would quite like a Fat Boy, but am I too young for a Harley at 33? Should I wait until I'm more middle-aged?

No, you're not too old.

I almost bought a new 1990 Sportster 883 when I started college. Instead I bought a Zeos 386 computer for the same money. :smith:

meatpimp fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Jun 24, 2015

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

meatpimp posted:

So no, you're not too old.
Bugger. I could have done with the excuse of needing a decade or two to cover up the fact I don't have the cash...

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

InitialDave posted:

Bugger. I could have done with the excuse of needing a decade or two to cover up the fact I don't have the cash...

hello another loan just like all the other harley guys

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

go3 posted:

hello another loan just like all the other harley guys

....then 5 years later sell your Street/Electra/Ultra Glide with 800 miles on it on Craigslist. Be sure to ask for more than MSRP because you are underwater, and also because you "invested" $3k in chrome.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Gorson posted:

....then 5 years later sell your Street/Electra/Ultra Glide with 800 miles on it on Craigslist. Be sure to ask for more than MSRP because you are underwater, and also because you "invested" $3k in chrome.
In all seriousness, I have to say that Harleys seem to be fairly resilient to depreciation in the UK, compared to other brands.

Gorson
Aug 29, 2014

InitialDave posted:

In all seriousness, I have to say that Harleys seem to be fairly resilient to depreciation in the UK, compared to other brands.

I read once that there is a lust for certain Americana items in the UK, and that Harleys are both crazy expensive and in high demand. Still true? I want to say Ford F150's were also on that list.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Gorson posted:

I read once that there is a lust for certain Americana items in the UK, and that Harleys are both crazy expensive and in high demand. Still true? I want to say Ford F150's were also on that list.
Well, F150s aren't sold here, so like most American-market cars, they're going to be personal imports or previously owned by members of the US military stationed here. The novelty value/market rarity bolsters the value compared to the US.

For Harleys, a random example out the hat can be an Electra Glide Ultra Classic - $23k in the US, £20.5k in the UK, which is $32k. A quick check of the classifieds still seems to have them floating around in the mid-teens after five years or so. That's really not at all bad.

It's true of anything, though. Parts to modify Jeeps are expensive here, the Land Rover equivalents are really cheap.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
The only cool Harley is the 1200xr

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

revmoo posted:

Quotin' for truf.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
I'm so mad those things hold their value. It'd be a great fuckaround bike at 2-3k for a ratty one.

Also the CHOPPERS CHOPPERS CHOPPERS rant is so amusing on a phone.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

revmoo posted:

This. There is no Harley that does anything for me, really, but the xr1200, holy poo poo is it beautiful.

Too bad that in typical Harley fashion, they took their one unique bike and discontinued it after a criminally short time.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
Bike tattoos? Well I had my guy "do something cool with a v-twin on it" last year for my bday.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Lmao

angryhampster
Oct 21, 2005

revmoo posted:

Its predecessor was bad as hell.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
Seat's too low, tank is too short and way too high. Looks like someone took a formerly good looking bike and pinched it hard in the middle like play-doh.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
That bike is a paintjob away from being bosozoku as hell. Those mufflers are glorious and I wish every harley had them (and that they were quiet).

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

Harley-Davidson Motorcycles (R) used to be known for being quiet, reliable, and smooth back when they were first built so they're kind of like the motorcycle version of the Republican Party in that respect :rimshot:

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
Nice observation. Works on multiple levels and every facet.

Sex Weirdo
Jul 24, 2007

This one is for sale locally, is it totally badass or not? I'm leaning towards hell yes.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Lookit that cute little built in purse. Daww.

Needs more tassles, then it's badass.

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
I've always been a fan of the fat spokes but not a springer suspension.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Terrible suspension is definitely bad rear end

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002
Well, bad for your rear end, anyways.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

It's pretty badass how small that headlight is. Makes up for there not being any fringe on the saddlebags.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

revmoo posted:

It looks cool and the motor is a sweetheart but it is a nightmare to ride.

If only somebody took that glorious unit evo twin and put it in a capable chassis......... ONE CAN DREAM I GUESS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Partial Octopus
Feb 4, 2006

Whats the deal with some harley guys having giant like 4 ft long leather tassels on the ends of their handlebars? Every time I see them I just think of a little girl on a tricycle.

• Locked thread