Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
I heard that Horizon 3 was a turd when it was released on PC due to bugginess and glitches.

Has this been fixed? I downloaded the demo and performance seemed pretty smooth and stable there, but I read a lot of bad performance reviews from when the game first came out, so I thought I'd check here first before I buy the thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
I could play with the chase cam if it was completely locked and bolted to a fixed position relative to the car. I can't do Forza chase cams because of the lag time between the car turning and the chase cam slowly reorienting itself back to being directly behind the car. It makes the controls seem way too sluggish.

The chase cam is fun for dicking around off road but that's about it.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
Hood cam 4 lyfe.

The benefits of the bumper cam with the added bonus of feeling a little more connected to whatever current sweet rear end car you're driving.

edit:

Also, I'm feeling a little overwhelmed with Forza Horizon 3 right now. There's so much to do and absolutely no direction, which is awesome if you know what everything does and what everything you do will eventually get you, but I'm pretty lost at the moment.

Are there any good guides out there that, say, list every kind of activity you can do and what they get you, what the benefits of upgrading your festivals are, etc?

edit 2:

I am so proud of my offensive idiot redneck mobile:

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Jun 4, 2017

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
Does anybody else wish Horizon had a big Forza Motorsport style career menu of no bullshit, fat-trimmed content where you could just select a race, then a style of car for the race's theme, then one of those cars from your own garage, then be instantly teleported to the starting line?
Because while having to pay to fast travel is only a little bit annoying (but you can minimize that later so nbd), having to pay 10,000 credits just to change cars or go all the way back to a festival is extremely annoying and to the point that you wonder if it was playtested at all, and having to treat the overworld as a big tedious selection menu is even worse than annoying, it's boring.

Being able to cruise through a big overworld is the coolest thing ever when you just want to aimlessly fart around, but it's pretty obnoxious when you're forced to cross it to get to something specific you want to do more. The game has a ton of fun content. Just let me choose from a menu of all of it and get to it instead of burning me out an eighth of the way through the game by making my drive away from the same couple of places for no reward every. single. time I want to change what I'm doing.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Jun 6, 2017

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
So the more I play Forza Horizon 3, the more I realize it's basically just a great big fun car sandbox. And because of this, I've decided I no longer want to be limited by having to earn money to get the cars I want, or punished for wanting to fast travel or wanting to change cars without breaking the rhythm of exploring the world.

So... how likely am I to get caught and my account messed with for Cheat Engining in like a trillion Forzabux to play around with? Or should I keep it reasonable and just top off my bank account at 12 or 13 million in single player every time it starts to get low?

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 20:11 on Jun 8, 2017

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
Also gonna pick up Forza 7 on PC.

Horizon 3 has taught me that dicking around in an open world game with cool cars is fun, but a closed-tracks-only racing game with more accurate physics is just as much fun to dick around in, but in a different way, and neither really steps on the other's toes.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
I love the idea of dynamic weather but I seriously hope we'll be able to turn that off and customize our own weather per race if we like.

I'd love it if we could pick the starting time of day for the race and whether or not that time is static or advances over the course of the race, and if there was some kind of slider for how aggressive you could set the weather over the race as well.

Because dynamic weather sounds awesome until you start noticing yourself wishing for just one single dang uneventful race so you can get a clean and accurate lap time.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Jun 14, 2017

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
I just want the hood cam and bumper cam to have the option of putting the RPM meter in the bottom middle of the screen because it sucks having to glance off center view to the bottom right hand corner of the screen twice every second.

Actually the best game for this was Shift and Shift 2. Each car had its actual real life instrument cluster mocked up as a HUD element and placed on the bottom center of the screen. It ruled.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Mediocrity Goggles posted:

True, if I had just started that process just now I would agree, but I've already invested like 2-3 months into this process already with the games I already wanted to play and still chugging along fine. FM5 being my absolute last acquisition since I waited for it to go on sale again after this thread talked me out of jumping on it last time.

And yeah, 5 sucks hard, especially the achievement list, so definitely not going to be batting for 1000 GS on that one.

Since you probably have the most up-to-date and present opinion about all the Forza games, what's the best Forza in your opinion?

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Ether Frenzy posted:

...Forza comparisons...

Awesome, thanks for the info!

Looking forward to seeing how big #7 compares when it comes out. I'd hate to think I missed out on the best Forza because I never got an Xbone.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
VR seemed like a great idea right up until they paired it with the dumb motion controls they all have. It would be great if they just combined VR headsets with a normal keyboard and mouse and/or a normal gamepad. I think it's the motion controls paired with the VR motion controller hand gear that makes the whole experience kind of dumb and gimmicky.

Just imagine being able to play most games exactly like you can now, but with a fully spherical 3D monitor wrapped around your head. That's what VR should be. Hell I wouldn't even care if on most games there were absolutely no motion controls at all, but instead you just controlled your directional focus with a controller like people do now, while your headset just serves as a normal 3D monitor.

I keep wondering when developers will wise up and I only add VR support for headsets to their games but nothing else.

Even with the game like Forza, the motion controls could be optional. I mean games where you sit in a moving structure are basically perfect for VR though, so this is one of the few instances where I think the headset motion controls should work properly, but if I played a Forza game with a VR headset, I'd still like to use a normal gamepad or wheel, and I'd like the ability to turn motion controls on the headset on or off.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 14:38 on Jun 21, 2017

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

It sounds like you've never tried VR before.

No it doesn't, because I have. My last roommate had a Vive and I think it's visually amazing, even though the screen door effect is definitely noticeable.

As for the controllers, when I played Valve's VR demo, I was pretty astonished at how intuitive the motion controllers were. When I held them up to my headset, it was like I wasn't even wearing it. The movement and sense of space they occupied was basically perfect, to the point where I could put the controller down on a desk, walk away from it, then walk back over to it and grab for it to find it *exactly* where the VR helmet visually indicated it was, like down to the millimeter.

However amazing the tech is, it's still gimmicky as hell and I think I'd much prefer a kb+m or console gamepad for basically everything. At most, I could see a situation where the right stick / mouse aim sets where a camera's center focus is aimed and let the VR headset motion controls deviate from that, but that's about it.

A game like Forza would be perfect for what I'm talking about. You would use a gamepad like you normally would, but you could freely look around within the car like in real life with the headset.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Jun 21, 2017

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

FBS posted:

This is exactly how VR racing games currently work.

Awesome!

I just hope shooters catch on and let you use keyboards and mice to move and aim your gun while you use a VR headset to pivot your in-game head around instead of going to that retarded teleporting mechanic they're starting to standardize.

Anyway, sorry about the derail.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Thief posted:

What is gonna be your first car build in the new Forza?

It's hard to say. My first real car love was a Ferrari 458 so that's always one of the first cars to hit my stable in these games, even though it sounds like a mix between a jet ski and a pig and there are better cars nowadays. There's something about it I just really go for.

I think with the new Forza I'll go with some unremarkable, retarded fast and furious import and put every dime I have into until it understeers slightly less than a freight train but is so fast it will basically launch into orbit if you look at it funny. Should make for a fun career mode I think.

What do most people usually go for first thing? Do people tend to "main" cars in these games or do more people tend to take more of a "right tool for the right job" mentality?

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Jun 22, 2017

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
Forza 4 gave you a choice of 1 out of a handful of similar cars every time you leveled.

I thought that was pretty rad.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
It would be a decent compromise if the game let you drive any car on any track both in single player and online as much as you wanted, but you'd have to buy the car to paint it non-manufacturer colors or upgrade/tune it.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

financially racist posted:

the handling isn't the problem. or wasn't until gt6 when they hosed the handling on mid-engined cars. the problem is just the whole game part of the game. it flows like poo poo and feels just so goddamn clumsy and outdated compared with forza.

gt5 was grindier than a fuckin mmo, it was absurd.

This is spot on. Oh, and one more thing. The god awful load times. Even going from the main menu to one of the submenus took something like a full minute. It was insane. Actually starting a race took at least twice that. Every single time. Gran Turismo 5 officially turned me off of buying any Gran Turismo game ever again as long as it's remotely similar.

Also never forget GT5's Paint Chip system for being one of the lamest ideas ever put into any racing game.

I actually did kind of like GT's oil change system, but like cosmetic damage, it should be entirely optional. It could even work really well in Forza as an optional thing that would to give you more experience if enabled and you didn't have to travel through five loading screens to get to it.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Jun 22, 2017

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
I've always wished Forza would add in a "come back and keep playing" mechanic in a similar way, kind of like how auto clicker games do.

It would be great if the game tracked a "date and time since last played" value, then gave you two or three free car tokens for every week away from the game you spent, capped at a month or two of banked tokens or something, just to give you incentive to peek back in every once in a while and collect your new free cars.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
Is anybody else concerned about how proud Turn10 is of their new dynamic weather system?

I don't want half of every race to be in the rain.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
I mean I do really like the idea of dynamic weather and day/night cycles for long marathon races, but if I'm trying to get my lap times down at a specific track or fine-tuning a car for a particular track or something, any weather other than "idyllic sunny day" is going to be annoying. How am I going to know if a new strategy I'm trying is working if the weather changes randomly at a different point in each lap?

I hope we'll at least be able to configure it a bit or outright switch it off if we want. I supposed it's a pipe dream to hope for stuff like checkboxes for different weather types per race and sliders for how likely each one is to occur, a time of day clock setting and a checkbox to choose if time of day passes or stays still, etc.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 17:31 on Aug 28, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007

Shumagorath posted:

Remember when Left 4 Dead came out and everyone lost their poo poo about teams getting tank spawns at different times in Vs mode? Fox-only-Final-Destination types can gently caress right off. I want fully-simulated weather changes on Nurburgring and Spa.

How about a simple checkbox to turn dynamic weather on/off?

There, now literally everybody is happy except for people who can't have fun unless they're able to narrowly dictate the way everybody else has their fun, but that's ok because gently caress them! :buddy:

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Aug 29, 2017

• Locked thread