Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Good shout on the Porsche expansion being on sale, I just recently got an Xbox One and Forza 6 and Horizon 3. The Porsche pack was the big one I still needed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

We need more old Baja and Mickey Thompson trucks from the late '80s/early '90s IMHO.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

It was only from FM3 that Forza really gained an "aesthetic" and sense of style that challenged Gran Turismo. GT even now still does so much right in that regard, despite the gameplay not really moving forward in many ways.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Mediocrity Goggles posted:

So, I had let this series pass me for almost a decade after motorsport 2/3, is Horizon basically where all the cooler stuff from those went while the main motorsport became even more like Gran Turismo?

the main Forza Motorsport games were always direct comparisons/improvements on/evolutions from the Gran Turismo formula, all the Horizon games have been more like the open-world Need for Speed games that came out last gen after Burnout Paradise. And directly comparing Horizon 3 to Motorsport 6, the car customization is almost completely the same, it's just dressed up very differently in Horizon.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

financially racist posted:

i guess i can accept new york because it was so dumb that it produced hilarious races.

motegi was inexcusably horrible in every single way a track can be, especially compared with the other two japanese tracks we lost. the only thing it has going for it is that at least it isn't the tilke-ified fuji, aka the actual worst race track in the world.

Fuji is fun and still a good technical circuit, come catch these hands.

I now also really want Forza Horizon 4 to be set in Japan, combination of highway racing, wide city streets (ala Yokohama from PGR2) and mountain/valley roads. Only hard part is it may be more difficult to have off-road racing, without a massive open desert, but could just make a few wider beaches and let you drive through tons of rice paddies instead. Could be as loving a note to car culture for Japan as Horizon 3 has been with Australia.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

I don't think Porsche is exclusive (again) (ugh), because Project Cars 2's trailer pretty prominently featured a few different licensed Porsche racing cars that they couldn't get other versions of.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Shumagorath posted:

Noticing a conspicuous absence of the Holy Trinity on the car list...?

Kinda want to know what those are.

Also love how front-and-center the Super GT Nissan is, but it's still a shame it's not a new car and just the one that was in Forza 6/DLC. Need the blue shinkansen to be in Forza! Oh and the other factory Super GT cars would be nice.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

track day bro! posted:

I know most people here just like racing upgraded shitboxes (says the guy who raced a shitload of datsun 510 spec races in fm4) here but I really hope we get some updated racecars. Lots of the GTLM and GT3 cars are now pretty old so it would be nice for some updated ones. Also yeah I'd love some modern super GT's.

I wish they'd include actual racing versions of older cars like the E30 M3, R32 GT-R and Sierra Cosworth. I mean I know you can mod the road cars and slap a livery on but having the actual race versions would be cool.

I love games where you can see multiple years' worth of cars from the same team/series in a row. Forza 7 definitely needs a refresh of the GT3/GTE and LMP1 groups. Super GT has three cool factory GT500 cars and only one is in the game, never mind the other paint schemes for that GT-R. And of course adding a batch of the old Group A cars would be awesome.

Project Cars 2 may be getting some of this right (hello gaggle of Group 5 cars) but Forza 7 may well play better. We'll see.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Falken posted:

https://youtu.be/KCYQoBlTZBs

Some good footage of a race at nurburging which includes weather changes... Also a new camera view! Either in front of the steering wheel or omitting it. I use that view in asseto Corsa.

There's a blog post on the official site doing a walk-through of the demo and they mentioned the new view as cockpit but forward, specifically for people using wheels. Sounds good.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

SUNKOS posted:

Turn 10 have done a lot of great things but this shift to a heavier focus on licensed tracks while excellent fictional tracks are left behind has dulled the game a bit.

This is incorrect and false, especially since half the fun of Forza is getting to experience places and cars I probably never will in real life.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

or, god forbid, the somehow even worse than motegi tilke-ified fuji.

Now don't say things you can't take back. (The last segment isn't great but it actually has verticality and some long awesome sweepers. It's me, the Fuji Speedway apologist)

But you're correct Motegi is soulless and bad and hey, remember when it was DLC? Yikes.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

GutBomb posted:

I do miss the 3G Eclipse. I like having cars in the game that I once owned.

I can be selfish and say I want a non-M3 E30 in the game but having some kind of E30 325i would also allow so many people to use one of the most popular grassroots cars in Forza.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

don't get too bummed, i legit expect a toyota expansion. which hey if it brings a new track then whatever. what tracks do toyota own anyw-

OH GOD I TAKE IT ALL BACK PLEASE NO :stonk:

Fuji Speedway is a very good place to spectate a race though. I'm a fan.

No Toyota is just...so weird. So, so weird.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Has Turn 10 mentioned anything about different tire compounds for Forza 7? Dynamic weather is pointless if it doesn't include the ability to pit for wet or intermediate tires and the strategy that goes along with choosing (ie if it's the last few laps is it worth it to try and stay out when it starts raining. That was by far the most interesting and fun part of that F1 games they gave out for free on XBL Gold a while back and is what made me realize the potential for how cool dynamic weather can be.

Yep, the fun part of doing long-ish Codemasters F1 races with the weather was playing the "time your pit" game. One lap early, you burn up the wet tires, or slide off on slicks. One lap late, you're tip-toeing around on ice. And this would work dry/inter/wet too, so always a strategy to work out.

PCars didn't lean into it that much and if Forza doesn't have something similar for slicks/wets it'll be less than it could be.

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Zaphod42 posted:

Yeah this is a HUGE thing I've been wondering about lately. Pcars has the same problem where they're going hard on dynamic weather but I don't think they've bothered implementing different tires you can swap between, so what's the loving point?

Its something F1 2017 completely nails and half the reason why I bought that game.

PCars 1 had various slick compounds and "wets" if memory serves, and setups could go to "automatic by weather" to choose the compound. Can't remember how changing compounds was implemented in races, but few games have done it as well as the Codie F1 games, between the setup page and the on-track radio choice menu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

geeves posted:

Agreed on the car variety. A big argument some have is that the classes are still highly unbalanced because of cars in classes might not actually belong (Bac Mono, Alfa 33, Aston Martin GT2).

At least with Modern GT division, some of this could be fixed with updating divisions that were introduced in FM6. Forza tried to mitigate a lot of this by limiting things to 880PI, but they inexplicably dropped it. It's why the Modern GT Racing hopper might as well be Aston Martin Endurance Racing.

Greenwalt said that FM7 was returning to its roots with a big focus on Motorsport. The car list clearly states otherwise. We still could be in for a surprise / day one car list of updated GT cars, but I doubt it. The Toyota licensing troubles are probably endemic of a bigger issue.

they aren't even doing everything they could for "grassroots" motorsport. I know people gripe about all the varieties of Skyline GT-Rs, but if they really wanted to give you the feel of grassroots motorsport in the U.S., they'd provide another E30 beyond the M3. And would make sure the various Miatas look good. And plenty of variations of pony cars. And...

Yeah. I'm almost more interested in PCars2 because the car list looks like exactly what I want. tuning up street cars is fun, but there's also a lot of fun to be found in taking a class and having four or five viable cars for it.

• Locked thread