Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mediocrity Goggles
Mar 20, 2009

Looking at it the wrong way.
So, I had let this series pass me for almost a decade after motorsport 2/3, is Horizon basically where all the cooler stuff from those went while the main motorsport became even more like Gran Turismo?

Bought an xbone on black friday last year to play Horizon 3 and ended up loving it, and just recently grabbed the gold marketplace bundle with FM6 and Horizon 2 at a huge discount and bought a used copy of Horizon 1. Was hoping to get more Forza Hub score out of H1 but I guess when the online components are permanently disabled, you can't really get full value off of them anymore. At least knowing this I won't be tempted to track down the older motorsport games and waste weeks trying to complete them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mediocrity Goggles
Mar 20, 2009

Ether Frenzy posted:

Most of the Motorsport games don't have a lot of online components you need to achieve for Hub score.
If they can't connect online then the Forza HUB won't get updates on non-gamerscore stat categories, which severely reduces their point value per game.

Mediocrity Goggles
Mar 20, 2009

harperdc posted:

the main Forza Motorsport games were always direct comparisons/improvements on/evolutions from the Gran Turismo formula, all the Horizon games have been more like the open-world Need for Speed games that came out last gen after Burnout Paradise. And directly comparing Horizon 3 to Motorsport 6, the car customization is almost completely the same, it's just dressed up very differently in Horizon.
I did write that before I found where to actually modify cars in FM6. But even so I guess it's a bit of a whiplash after all these years to find there's no more auction house to get cheaper cars anymore and the entire soundtrack got replaced with generic "epic" orchestral score.

Mediocrity Goggles
Mar 20, 2009

Yeah maxed out hypercars in Horizon isn't really fun but yet everyone insists on doing it. Think I remember those type of cars being much more enjoyable to use in motorsport 2.

I also have to wonder how the Horizon festival keeps going. Buncha hipsters in expensive cars roll up to your state/province, cause endless road accidents and property damage, with hints of trespassing and possible theft. (Someone used to own those barn find cars, you know.)

Mediocrity Goggles
Mar 20, 2009

Shumagorath posted:

Make the entire game running over social media influencers and I will pre-order.
But we already have enough driving games set in California.

Mediocrity Goggles
Mar 20, 2009

Tempted to grab the $10 FM5 on Gold deals this week, even though I already have a huge backlog of Forza to play through already, with each game (besides Horizon 1 I'm guessing) probably requiring least like ~2 weeks a piece, with another 2-3 days worth of content (If Blizzard Mountain was any indicator) coming to H3 next week.

Also oddly enough, Horizon 1's online backend still seems to be functional so Forza hub still gets actual updates from it, even though a good chunk of H1's point value is tied up in content that is no longer obtainable or general "tokens/car packs purchased" wankery.

Mediocrity Goggles
Mar 20, 2009

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

There's not really any reason to get FM5. FM6 has everything FM5 has plus a poo poo ton more tracks and cars.
Yeah that's what I was thinking, FM5 would offer practically nothing different, guess it's more of a question is how willing I am to play through the more or less the same game twice for series specific achievement points in an attempt to "catch up" on all the years of the series I've missed. Guess I'll just grab FH2 Storm Island for $5 instead, also on sale this week.

And I think all I would even get out of it is maybe an extra free car in the next game that you could just buy normally. Think the weekly credits payout is already as high as it will go anyways.

Mediocrity Goggles fucked around with this message at 10:07 on May 4, 2017

Mediocrity Goggles
Mar 20, 2009

Think I'm starting to come to the realization that Horizon 2 is the worst entry in the spinoff series. So much padding for time between championships with the forced road trips between each one, and an extra road trip back to HQ after every 3 championships.

Seems like H2 just went off the deep end and ended up with a really bad excess of odd decisions (you showed up to an event with the wrong car, lemme give you a minute long unskippable rant about it before you can pick the right one), championships, and grindy online based achievements, and makes me appreciate H3 more for cutting out most if not all of H2's insanity

e: I would also argue that Storm Island is more streamlined and interesting than the main game is.
e2: is/was there an actual goon club in H2? could easily find the real one in H1 despite it being defunct but seems like nothing but imitations when it comes to 2.

Mediocrity Goggles fucked around with this message at 17:23 on May 15, 2017

Mediocrity Goggles
Mar 20, 2009

Funny how that club never popped up on any search with the "goon" keyword, maybe because it isn't openly joinable. Well, shot you a friend request so I can get in, even though to be real I'm likely never going to do any serious online play with FH2 if at all.

Mostly because I can't seem to focus on any one game all that much, I basically have a daily ritual that consists of doing 1 FH1 street race for "days played" credit, then at least a single race in both FM6 and FH2, maybe more if the mood strikes me since I still have tons of stuff to do in both of those. And in recent days a lot of cramming down the last championships in FH3:HW, almost got that 2000/2000.

Mediocrity Goggles fucked around with this message at 02:16 on May 16, 2017

Mediocrity Goggles
Mar 20, 2009

geeves posted:

And tuning!
But FH2/3 already have tuning? H1 didn't cause it was just straight up arcade racer that really didn't resemble Forza gameplay that much.

Probably not all that much difference between them these days besides all vehicles/tires having way better grip than they would with equivalent upgrades in motorsport, and the magic "anti-pitting" physics that prevent other vehicles from causing spins.

Mediocrity Goggles fucked around with this message at 22:16 on May 18, 2017

Mediocrity Goggles
Mar 20, 2009

In preparation for 7 I've grabbed every single Forza that I've missed since Motorsport 2 over the past few months in an effort to milk them for Forza Hub points. It even got me to finally swallow switching to Windows 10 to play Apex.

Think I've played a bit too much already. I'm cramming like 9 years of backlog in the span of only a few months.

Mediocrity Goggles
Mar 20, 2009

Norns posted:

Why would you do that

Because I don't have much else better to do with my time. Technically I'm already halfway done with all of them, only things I have to invest any heavy amount of time into is the main careers of 4 (already finished world tour), 5, and 6. But it is getting pretty drat tiring having to do a single race or event in 6 different games on a daily basis cause of the days played score.

Mediocrity Goggles
Mar 20, 2009

sleepwalkers posted:

That's a really good way to not want to play any of 7 when it comes out.
True, if I had just started that process just now I would agree, but I've already invested like 2-3 months into this process already with the games I already wanted to play and still chugging along fine. FM5 being my absolute last acquisition since I waited for it to go on sale again after this thread talked me out of jumping on it last time.

And yeah, 5 sucks hard, especially the achievement list, so definitely not going to be batting for 1000 GS on that one.

Mediocrity Goggles
Mar 20, 2009

Chances of Road Atlanta going away are slim to none, it's one of the handful of tracks that has been in every single Forza Motorsport game since its inception. It also shares this place with Laguna Seca and Silverstone. (With Road America and Nurburgring maintaining this via post-launch DLC)

"The Snakes" stayed exclusive to FM2. May they rest in piss with New York.

Circuit of the Americas can eat it.

Mediocrity Goggles
Mar 20, 2009

financially racist posted:

the snake tracks were also in forza 3
They actually weren't, the Ladera test tracks were not the same ones.

... Unless they were added as a DLC that is no longer obtainable. Which sounds like is the case. The wiki (which is already pretty light on FM3 info as it is) does say it existed in 3, doesn't say that it was a DLC though. Sidewinder proving grounds does not appear in my copy of the game even with the second disc installed so it must have been an add-on.

Mediocrity Goggles fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Jun 20, 2017

Mediocrity Goggles
Mar 20, 2009

Black Griffon posted:

So every time I reinstall FH3 I get depressed because the rear end-expensive version didn't include the expansions, and then I buy a new muscle car and drive it stock until I'm happy, but are any of the expansions actually good? Are they worth the money and are they ever on sale?
They're kinda worth it. Well, if you like offroading in snow or wanted to play FH3 like it was a mock F-Zero on elevated track. You should've asked this like 24 hours ago or last week when the FH3 expansion pass actually was on sale for $17.

Mediocrity Goggles fucked around with this message at 00:47 on Jun 21, 2017

Mediocrity Goggles
Mar 20, 2009

As someone trying to actively plow through FM 4/5/6 still, I basically just settle on whatever in the garage works, or try to get what I need on the cheap. Kinda get the feeling that I'm missing the point of the whole game. I'm not really even that good but I bet all this jumping around isn't helping my consistency one bit.

Special exception for 4, though, where I basically need to do as much of the game as possible in Chevy cars cause level 50 affinity. That and they have full class range and an LMP2 racer. Gonna have to play the auction house a bit to swap out 1mil+ race cars I don't need anymore for ones I do.

Mediocrity Goggles
Mar 20, 2009

Tried GT3 at first since I never owned a PS1, just didn't work out. Tried GT4 after getting into Forza 2 with similar gameplay and I still just couldn't get into it. But GT didn't (and AFAIK still doesn't to this day) have the revolutionary decal system Forza does so that pretty much solidified my flagship console car game of choice.

You know what pissed me off in FM6? Mods. Specifically how I've probably pissed away 15-20 million attempting to obtain one single dare mod for an achievement. I'd actually like to use all my credits on cars in the next game if they don't mind.

I'm bracing myself hard for 7, since it seems it will have a very heavy emphasis on collecting cars than it ever did before.

Mediocrity Goggles
Mar 20, 2009

Eh, I dunno, still kinda tough getting the millions I need for the FM4 achievement cars. I don't have the DLC benchmark moneymaker track either, so getting all those together plus all that various specific cars I need to finish the event list is gonna be quite the grind.

Hell I wouldn't mind some donations and a club to join in FM4 if anyone still has access to it.

Mediocrity Goggles fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Jun 23, 2017

Mediocrity Goggles
Mar 20, 2009

I really hate the idea of the unicorns. If they're going to bring that back they should at least make it more like Horizon 3 where they're not too hard to obtain, and can be traded/sold freely. (The Forzathon exclusive cars are technically the unicorns of Horizon 3, right?)

Also congrats on your Forza Motorsport 3 purchase. Enjoy none of your stats updating on it in Forza HUB in the forseeable future.

Mediocrity Goggles
Mar 20, 2009

Whereas I have the misfortune of being very heavily influenced by it and compelled to spend money on dead and dying games for score and weekly riches.

Literally bought $10 worth of FM5 tokens just for points a few days ago, I have an addiction. :shepspends:

Mediocrity Goggles
Mar 20, 2009

Should I try to post about Forza related items on sale in the store each week if there are any?

For the week of June 27th to July 3rd:
    Forza Horizon 3 VIP - 75% off
    Forza Motorsport 5 VIP - 85% off

Mediocrity Goggles fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Jun 28, 2017

Mediocrity Goggles
Mar 20, 2009

Word is that Ebisu Style was supposed to be great drift > great air > drift, so the lack of the prior drift is why you never got it. I got all 3 in like two minutes on the sand dunes and a high powered AWD offroader.

Mediocrity Goggles
Mar 20, 2009

Course in my case the offroader was like a Trailcat and not a rally car, not sure what difference it would've made. But yeah, I didn't understand what the heck it even was til I looked up vague tips on how to do it. It's like one of the most obscure skills in the game.

Mediocrity Goggles
Mar 20, 2009

Here's more Forza sale items that have popped up today going until July 10th.
    Forza Motorsport 6 Platinum Edition Bundle - 67% off, 75% with Gold
    Forza Horizon 3 Porsche Car Pack - 60% off
    Forza Horizon 2: Storm Island - 67% off, 75% with Gold
    Forza Horizon 2 and Forza Motorsport 5 Bundle - 50% off, 60% with Gold

Mediocrity Goggles
Mar 20, 2009

Sounds like they're going to turn career mode into a copy of the championship format of Horizon 2 (minus forced road trip padding) with a touch of Horizon 3 blueprinting. That's neat I guess.

Return of the auction house is also neat, even though that probably means they're going back to cars costing up to 10 million credits or more instead of FM5/6 where no car exceeded 2 mil. You know what that means, people hoarding and scalping the cars that people actually want, and yet another achievement for spending several millions on the same old 50s/60s Ferraris.

Mediocrity Goggles
Mar 20, 2009

It seems my quest to catch up on Forza has come to an end, I am now at the highest rewards tier possible at the moment and 100%ed every game in the series aside from FM6 and FH2. I have made many questionable purchases on this journey.

In other news, new discounts! (with Gold membership, of course) For the week of July 25th to August 1st:
    Forza Horizon 3 Blizzard Mountain - 60% off
    Forza Motorsport 6 Car Pass - 75% off
    Forza Horizon 2 Presents Fast & Furious - 75% off

Mediocrity Goggles
Mar 20, 2009

GentlemanofLeisure posted:

Holy poo poo dude you've only been at it for just under 3 months and you 100%'d all those games? Do you mean you 100%'d the ForzaHub requirements for max score per game? Or did you actually get all the achievements for each game?

Actually, been at it a bit longer than that, I just didn't ramp it up to insanity levels until more recent months. For all games up to FM5, I did indeed go for 100%ing all of career and all achievements that were still possible or viable to obtain. Unnecessary :spergin: breakdown of my status for each game:

FM2 - 100% completed nearly a decade ago.
    FM3 - Left at 920/1000 with event list half-completed for several years, now fully complete and should have all 1000 hub points... if it ever updates again.
    FM4 - 100% complete with purchased Porsche expansion, all but 4 now-impossible achievements. (actually 3 but heh, Kinect) Should have 1700 hub points but it refuses to read how many cars I have. 300 remaining points lost to the abyss of time.
    Horizon 1 - 100% complete singleplayer with purchased Rally expansion. Got every achievement that didn't involve multiplayer or the unobtainable 1000 club. (multi is still up but I really did not care to grind that.) Final Hub score of 1500, the other 500 also lost to the abyss.
    FM5 - 100% as far as the achievement list is concerned (forget the bonus events), working on last affinity achievement. 11 more days of daily play til max hub score. (Yes, my dumb rear end bought the tokens.)
    Fast & Furious - 100% that poo poo in like 3-4 hours.
    Horizon 2 - Maxed hub score and left on back burner at about 1/3 entire base game, half of Storm Island complete. May come back to finish after FM5, will not go for full achievements.
    FM6 - Maxed hub score and left on back burner with 1/6 total volume completion, all showcases but the endurances, and entire Nascar expansion complete. Will also not go for full achievements but will make One For The History Books the end goal.
    FM6 Apex - Almost maxed Hub score minus 15 points cause I suck too much to get Perfectionist. Close enough, screw this game.
    Horizon 3 - Total 2000/2000 completion, maxed Hub score before I really started this whole catch-up crusade.

So yeah, there's still some things I'm not really keen on doing, but my main driving force was Hub score. Did everything I could in the 360 games cause I needed every last drop out of them to reach Tier 11, but played it a bit more loose in the later games and only completed things up to the point they still mattered.

e: Actually now that I think about it, aside from FM2, half of FM3, and Horizon 3, it has been about exactly 3 months since I started. I don't consider badges/titles part of the progression, though, I'm not that crazy.

Mediocrity Goggles fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Jul 26, 2017

Mediocrity Goggles
Mar 20, 2009

Doorknob Slobber posted:

I'm sad that because of my choice of platforms I cannot drive around in the fantasy luxury vehicle

In their actual announcement release, they say all Horizon 3 players will get it, including those on PC. Very misleading trailer.

Mediocrity Goggles
Mar 20, 2009

More discounts for the week of August 1st to the 8th, live gold required, blah. Anyone getting tired of these posts yet?
    Forza Motorsport 6 NASCAR Expansion - 75% off (already mentioned but still)
    Forza Motorsport 6 and Forza Horizon 2 bundle - 67% off
    Forza Horizon 2 Standard/Deluxe/Ultimate - 40/50/60% off
    Forza Horizon 2 Car Pass - 80% off
    Xbox 360 Forza Horizon 2 - 50% off

Mediocrity Goggles
Mar 20, 2009

Oh yeah, forgot to do the thing yesterday. Only one Forza related sale this week from the 9th to the 14th. Not sure if anyone even still pays attention to these.
    Forza Horizon 3 Standard/Deluxe/Ultimate - 40% (w/Gold)/45%/50% off

Guessing that means they're also updating the Ford GT to be the final production model and not the concept version they've been using.

Mediocrity Goggles
Mar 20, 2009

It's a shame we can't paint over lights like that in the newest ones.

Oh, and here's the discounts for the week of August 15th to the 21st, some good stuff for Horizon 3 especially.
    Forza Horizon 3 Expansion Pass - 50% off
    Forza Horizon 3 Car Pass - 50% off
    Forza Motorsport 6 Porsche Expansion - 60% off
    Forza Horizon 2 Complete Add-Ons Collection - 75% off

Mediocrity Goggles fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Aug 15, 2017

Mediocrity Goggles
Mar 20, 2009

GutBomb posted:

I have all the DLC for 3 and 4 on my Xbox 360 hard drive and as soon as it dies they are gone forever with no way to retrieve them. It really sucks.

Not entirely. Lots of de-listed DLC can be redownloaded via your download history. However I do believe some more minor pieces of 4 and Horizon 1's DLC are straight up gone from the servers despite the download history.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mediocrity Goggles
Mar 20, 2009

Deals with gold discounts for the week of August 29th thru September 4th:
  • Forza Motorsport 6 VIP - 75% off
  • Forza Motorsport 6 Fast & Furious Car Pack - 50% off
  • Forza Horizon 2 VIP - 80% off

Gotta admit I'm not feeling all that optimistic about the content in 7, feels like they just mashed the car rosters of FM6 and FH3 together and just called it a day without adding all that much actual new content to it.

• Locked thread