Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Qwerinty

by zen death robot
It's been a long while since I've done a project for byob, due to Circumstances, but this is an idea I've been sitting on that I can finally do. The idea is I take a poster's avatar, and recreate it irl, with no modifications or manipulations of any sort except to make them animated gifs. They haven't been shopped, altered, or even resized/cropped. If I couldn't do it just with my digital camera and art supply, I rejected the idea. Here's what I have so far:

This is my favorite one so far. I couldn't get it to go in the corner, because the camera wouldn't focus that far from center lens since it was zoomed in significantly to crop out the background.

That loving egg. I did this like 5 times before this take, and needless to say I had many scrambled eggs and toast tonight. I tried getting it to do the head tilt and u_u face, but I couldn't keep it consistent. Still, I like this. That's a blob eraser I use for sketches it's cradled in.

[Can't find original]

I learned how to sew (shittily) for this one. It's a skill I've always wanted to possess, and now I can make extremely hosed up stitches. This poster had a big av of Garfield surfing that was basically the best, and I wanted to make it float in midair like that, so I had to anchor it with some strings just to get this. I couldn't set up my camera in a stable position, so it's stationary instead of swaying. Oh well.

I'll be posting more in the next few days, I have several I'm working on I just haven't finished yet. I might have another one up tonight, depends if the paint dries. It'd be boring to post everything all at once anyways, and turn people off due to the hugeness of the posts. I have most of the materials, I've just plug away at them after/before work. That's it for now I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qwerinty

by zen death robot
Questions you might have:

Avatars, really? Seems kinda clique/circle-jerky
Not my intention! I'm selecting avatars based on "Would this be cool if done for real? Can I do it without horribly loving it up? Will I learn anything?" As for why avatars, they're already creative, and it involves the community somewhat. I can look at an av and be like "Yeah, I can do that in a weird fashion", whereas if I just posted a bunch of animated gifs of stuff I come up with, it'd seem weird and non-inclusive. No one would give a poo poo.

Will you do my avatar?
I dunno, maybe, ask I guess, the worst that happens is I say no. I'm a busy woman, and while I'm not poor, I'm not rich, so if I can think up an interesting way of doing it, that isn't basically just "oh draw it and animate it" because what's the point. I'd like to try something new, like TFP's av.

Does it have to be a BYOB poster's av?
Nope! I just don't read other forums much so I don't go out and see other avs that I could do. If you think one's rad, post it, again, worst I can say is no.

May I do one?
Yes! Absolutely! That would be super cool actually. It's fun to exit your comfort zone and try something new.

Are you, and I'm being serious here, insane?
yes

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Al Borland

by XyloJW
I love when you do these.

----------------

bacalou

that salmiakki one is fuckin' bomb

Looke

Al Borland posted:

I love when you do these.

i am he

haha that's so cool

Putty

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
i have quite a challenge you OP

dogcrash truther

Qwerinty posted:

[Can't find original]

I learned how to sew (shittily) for this one. It's a skill I've always wanted to possess, and now I can make extremely hosed up stitches. This poster had a big av of Garfield surfing that was basically the best, and I wanted to make it float in midair like that, so I had to anchor it with some strings just to get this. I couldn't set up my camera in a stable position, so it's stationary instead of swaying. Oh well.

that was i flunked out or Afro Doug, I think.

Qwerinty

by zen death robot

dogcrash truther posted:

it was i flunked out, but you can't look it up on SOAP because it's a big av. Similarly, I can't look up your old ones either, but for other reasons that confuse and scare me

Putty posted:

i have quite a challenge you OP

if i can find drinky birds, you're on

----------------

the unabonger

dogcrash truther posted:

it was me, afro doug just happens to have an av that i look like.

the unabonger
i like this idea qwerinty. very cool

dumb crambo
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
i thought the avatars were already real??

pogi

i flunked out posted:

it was me, afro doug just happens to have an av that i look like.

I'm imagining that your AV is Charlie.

Piso Mojado

i am he posted:

haha that's so cool

City of Glompton

omg, this is fantastic! :love:

thank you PSP for the beautiful spring sig

Piso Mojado

do you have a cute, playful kitten around? and some yarn? just curious. :3:

Scaly Haylie

i flunked out posted:

Piso Mojado

this is incredible btw.

pig slut lisa

irl is good

i flunked out posted:

dogcrash truther

lol. do this one.

Yobgoblin

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
This is fantastic, Qwerinty. Great work! :five:

the unabonger
heres my interpretation of the Afro doug avatar:

pig slut lisa

irl is good

lookin good good lookin

Qwerinty

by zen death robot
ok, last one for tonight, i'll have at least one more up tomorrow, and i don't even think that one was ever an av. anyways

this is my new favorite one because i get to have pomegranate for breakfast. Related, if anyone knows how to get pomegranate stains out of bamboo butcher block without resurfacing, you'd be my hero.

this is what gave me the idea for the thread. i took one look at that av, and was like "I want to do that, but for real"

Qwerinty fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Jun 24, 2015

----------------

City of Glompton

Qwerinty posted:

ok, last one for tonight, i'll have at least one more up tomorrow, and i don't even think that one was ever an av. anyways

this is my new favorite one because i get to have pomegranate for breakfast. Related, if anyone knows how to get pomegranate stains out of bamboo butcher block without resurfacing, you'd be my hero.

:eyepop:

thank you PSP for the beautiful spring sig

the unabonger

Qwerinty posted:

outstanding

Qwerinty

by zen death robot

Piso Mojado posted:

do you have a cute, playful kitten around? and some yarn? just curious. :3:

sadly i do not live with a cat. i'd like to, tho.

i flunked out posted:

omg i'm dying

dogcrash truther posted:

lol. do this one.

i refuse to do the frog dick or ice rear end

----------------

i am he

i flunked out posted:

lmao

Qwerinty

by zen death robot
awwww yiss, thanks for the sticky, mods

----------------

google THIS

holy crap these are amazing

bog pixie

they're wonderful

ron color
how about smokedog

GEExCEE

i flunked out posted:

lol

Scaly Haylie

dogcrash truther posted:

lol. do this one.

one of my previous avs is fine too :blush:

Miss Psychosis

Good thread.

Mapparu

very cool!!1 i really like it

Qwerinty

by zen death robot

ron color posted:

how about smokedog

perhaps, i think i can work with that

Lizard Wizard posted:

one of my previous avs is fine too :blush:

your other avs are just a drawn image, nothing much really going on i feel would make an interesting project. if i had a lizard, i'd make a little hat for it, but i do not, sadly. sorry dude, it's not personal, i just can't think of anything cool to do with it

----------------

bacalou

idea for dct av reenactment: find matt damon

Qwerinty

by zen death robot

bacalou posted:

idea for dct av reenactment: find matt damon

i was going to do his smoking one, but even after putting half a thing of high strength product in my hair, it wouldn't curl or do anything but be its typical wavy self

----------------

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the unabonger

Qwerinty posted:

i was going to do his smoking one, but even after putting half a thing of high strength product in my hair, it wouldn't curl or do anything but be its typical wavy self

what was the smoking one again?

• Locked thread