Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.

Verr posted:

Is there anything along the lines of a Unknown Armies/Mage: The Awakening style hack? I'm interested in a game that allows "Mages" or whatever they might be called to start picking at the fabric of reality, confronting hubris and obsession in the search for power.

Tbh, I've been thinking about something like that, though I doubt I've got the skill to make it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.

Verr posted:

I'd love to bounce a few moves and general philosophies off you in the next week or so!

Sweet, I look forward to it!

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
So regarding a pbta mage game. definitely think that it would need to do a spirit of 77 style split during character creation. I've been trying to come up with some ideas for the mundane side of things. But I'm struggling to find insperation. Anyone got any ideas?

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.

Verr posted:

I haven't had a chance to read So77. But I agree, the "vanilla" start for Sleeping World is a Uknown Armies style cityscape in which the GM is encouraged to wreak havoc and push the players together.

In addition, one of the planned magic-playbooks is Traveler - a concept specifically designed to split the party and be rewarded for doing so. Of course, they're often responsible for being followed by horrible things back to the other players: Life mages might be marked and tracked by the spirits who live inside our veins, Space wizards can be tailed by unfeeling monster from beyond the 4th dimension, and Matter mages might be hunted by the Earth golems who call the NegaPyramids their own!

E: Forgot the mundane - I'm using two playbooks per character - one to represent the magic-abilities and proximity to universal truths, and the other to represent the mortal abilities. Each character starts with much of their mundane book unlocked, but as they grow in magic power and reject the illusion, they grow more distant from their mundane abilities! Some examples of mundane playbooks are The Warrior and The Liar.

Yeah, that could be a good trade off. Especially if you give the player a bit of agency as to how much they swing one way or another. Although I was referring entirely to the character creation. In SO77, the payers pick a roll and a theme. So you could be a kung-fu / driver. Or a X-Tech / Vigilante. It can create an interesting dynamic and a lot of variations and options in character builds.

But yes, I like the idea of the different magical focuses having their own problems to deal with. Especially if the other mages are messing with one another as well. Though that said, it would be nice to also be able to encourage team cohesion without one guy trying to split the group up. So possibly a playbook about keeping people together as well? Would need to see the workings of the playbook before really making a call on that one.

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.

Verr posted:

Yes, the player can definitely choose whether to remain grounded in their lives. And So77's sounds exactly what I was planning. The Liar / Tyrant! The Warrior / Unhinged! Guess I really need to get So77. How are the playbooks physically set up? Two double-sided pages each?

Both Tyrant and Puppetmaster will have moves that run toward locking everyone else down! And yeah, getting way ahead here. Gotta finish up the basic moves before anything else.

One is your 'core' it gives you your look, stats, gear and basic class moves. It defines your major roll as such. Then you pick a theme. its more like a loose grab back of themed powers and bonus gear. I'll find a good example.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_5JoTJwAhskZ1pZNG5nS014cTA/view?usp=sharing

Right so this is the main set up of the SO77 playbooks (I've disabled downloads) The first half is the main playbooks. The second half is the themes. Sadly it doens't show you all the options. you'd have to buy the rule book for those. But that's how it sets it up.

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.

tweekinator posted:

Does anyone know if there's a swashbuckling/pirates Apocalypse hack? I'm interested in getting my group to try the system, but haven't seen any that are pirate-based.

The was a pirate themed dungeon world book that was kickstarted. I think the guys still working on it though.

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.

Verr posted:

You guys don't have PMs. Where should I send this gdoc?

burnettalexander @ Yahoo dot co dot UK

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.

QuantumNinja posted:

This question is for Bucnasti, but anyone who has played a good bit of Spirit of '77 should feel free to chime in:

What role is money supposed to play in the game? Characters start with various amounts, but I can't find in the book where it addresses things like paydays and whatnot. Should they be expected to manage it D&D-style, where they have to track expenditures and income? Are there moves or something associated with it that I totally missed? If one of the characters has, say, $50 on their sheet at the start, is that literally the cash they have to do that sort of thing?

I wonder what prompted this question :v:

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.

Hugoon Chavez posted:

They just want to know how many times they can "make it rain" on top of defeated foes before they have to start picking the money back up.

Or I'm trying to fake a robbery to trick three gangs of bikers, and I want to know how much cash I'm playing around with. My character background is something of an international mercenary so I'm curious if I can get hold of more cash than I start with because of this.

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.

Covok posted:

I was wondering if it was kosher to advertise stuff like that in relevant threads, but, yeah, I'm totally organizing one for Saturday at 7:00 PM EST. I can't give out any materials till everyone is in the game itself because of the terms of the playtest so it's a very general and easy app to make. For the record, I'm a very easygoing, improvisational GM who likes to let player's be awesome, world build, and have fun, if that helps.

If it was pbp I'd gladly app, but sadly being in the UK I can never comit to these roll 20 games. All the same I wish you the best of luck!

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
It occurred to me recently that no one has made a cyber-punk game in the style of shadow run in this system yet. Which is a shame because as much as I like the shadow run setting, it's mechanics just baffle me. If someone made cyberpunk game I'd probably play the poo poo out of that.

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
I suppose you could do it so your gear gave you your stats. That way people could agonise over what equipment to take. But really that's just obuscating the matter rather than solving it.

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.

Verr posted:

Responded to the comments made on MageHack. Should have a few playbooks and more thoughts on the Hubris-sphere-playbook mechanics by the end of the week.

Yaaay! I was starting to get worried you'd died. I'll take a look at it after I get home from work tomorrow.

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.

Flavivirus posted:

Yup, Legacy's mine :)

It's an interesting bundle - I hadn't heard of a few of them, but I'm happy to be among such illustrious company as AW, Monsterhearts and https://www.

I think you're missing the rest of that link.

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.

Really Pants posted:

That's my ship stuff :saddowns:

Oh well, we'll see how it goes.

Think of it as we're picking up the game and trying to make something workable out of the unfinished framework. We'll just have to improvise a lot.

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.

Toph Bei Fong posted:

If we end up with a more workable and playable version of the game for everyone else to enjoy, would that really be the worst outcome? :)

That's certainly what I'm thinking. It's missing some pretty core stuff, like I'm not seeing a basic move that would allow someone to hurt another person, unless you're trying to steal something. But even then it's unclear if that's what that move is supposed to be for.

Buncha tag explanations are missing, there's also some inconsistency in what you should be rolling. "Will" gets mentioned a few times, but I think that's supposed to be Warp?

I like what they've got and I like their classes. I just feels like they skipped to the good bits and half arsed their core mechanics. For instance. You can only defy danger one way with one stat, Bold. When as far as I can see, every other game gives you an option for each stat.

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.

Error 404 posted:

Apoc World does this. Act Under Fire has you only rolling Sharp.
It works pretty well imo.

Ahh, the game I never play. Figures :p

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.

Golden Bee posted:

Who created the Daemon?
It's an amazing skin, unsigned, and I've never seen it before.

Wow, I don't normally like Monster Hears, It doesn't appeal to me in the slightest. But I can appreciate what they're doing with that one. Just the whole taking damage mechanic to get successes on roles. That's pretty awesome. Whoever made that one really should have signed it.

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.

Evil Mastermind posted:

Yeah, go with MotW. One of the bonus playbooks is The Summoned, which is straight-up Hellboy, with the weapon option "Red Right Hand".

And the wizard is pretty much Dresden. I do love me some monster of the week.

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.

Golden Bee posted:

I wish you'd run it again in roll20 or something. For some reason we had a paranoid conspiracy theorist teaming with her dad and a punk kid, whose gender was female! And also others.

I loved that game, it was my first pbta game. Made me fall in love with the system. I'd love another go, playing the spelcaster, oh man, poo poo be awesome.

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.

Covok posted:

I hope this doesn't come off the wrong way, but that's sort of how my game, Dungeon Bastards, has handled its move structure and how Vincent is experimenting with AW: 2nd Edition. Since I don't know if I can talk about Vincent's work in detail, I'll talk about my own title. My game handled the "1 move to 1 scene" by basically just giving you big, overarching effects to a move that narrate out once a move happens. It's inspired by pbta, not pbta, so it runs off a "once a move triggers, you resolve it and use your successes (if any) to narrate out effects from a list provided by the move."

I'd just like to take a moment and say this post made me go and buy Dungeon Bastards. Which I now love. So thanks very much for that.

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.

GimpInBlack posted:

It's actually a supplement for Katanas & Trenchcoats, which is not a PbtA game, but here you go:

Katanas & Trenchcoats

Car Wizards

And as a special bonus, Katanas & Trenchcoats, Episode 7: Celestial Boogaloo, for all your Demon: The Fallen/In Nomine/latter-season Supernatural needs.

I reviewed the base game and Car Wizards over in the FATAL and Friends thread if you want to take a look: Base game and Car Wizards.

Well, I wonder what I'm throwing money at tonight!

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.

Tollymain posted:

second new playbook from apoc world 2e revealed and it's simultaneously really cool and really :stare:

http://apocalypse-world.com/AW2ndEdChildthingPreview.pdf

Not really sure what to make of this one.I like the maelstrom wolves though, that seems cool.

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.

Posted an App. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
Is there a list anywhere of fan-made playbooks for Masks?