Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

I don't know what to put here. Guys? GUYS?!

Hummingbird James posted:

Hey, quick dumb question about World Wide Wrestling (and by extension other PbtA games): can you only take a specific advance once, or can you take it multiple times? Like, if I wanted to take +1 to a stat twice, would that be allowed? Sorry if this is explained in the book somewhere, as I can't find it whatsoever.

WWW allows you to pick an advance multiple times because the advance list is so short for the most part. However, the long-term campaign games where this starts to matter are having discussion on how to avoid people with all +3 stats and/or bunches of moves from other playbooks, and there's a lot of neat ideas. Personally, I go with "you can give +1 to each stat once" , then thinking about opening it up in time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

Megazver posted:

"I don't care about balance" when coming from the designer. (Looking at you, MotW.)

This does explain a lot about MotW, which feels like more of a disappointment rather than a truly terrible game. It was a book that helped me grasp onto the concept of a lot of PbtA ideas, but the actual mechanical balance is a giant mess. When did he say this?

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

Bucnasti posted:

Shadowrun being a kitchen sink setting and having 25 years of splatbooks might make it an insurmountable task to work into a *world game without cutting it down to the point that it's no longer recognizable as Shadowrun.

I think the better idea may be to make a cyberpunk game with elves, dwarves and magic. Sure, it won't feel exactly like Shadowrun to a die-hard, but I don't think anything will feel close to Shadowrun to that person.

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

^^ More generically, that.

Pththya-lyi posted:

My Monsterhearts players want their characters to be in more situations that require teamwork. They do like the system and are invested in the setting we made together, but they'd like some more conventional player-versus-environment type situations. How can I encourage that? I realize it's partly on them to find reasons to cooperate, but I'd like to help make things easier.

Is there a Chosen as one of the PCs? If there is, have the Evil Power Whatever that's going after the Chosen actually threaten everyone in some way. It's a quick fix, and it's not perfect, but it'll help with the basics. This'll also give them reasons to all hang out and try not to have the PvP-for-PvP-sake. They'll go on hunts together, etc.

If there's no Chosen, it's a little more difficult, but give them an authority figure or something. Definitely more mundane, but have things like school crackdowns on (random occult thing) or something similar. Turn the school, the job, the setting into a world where teenagers don't have the power to do more than the most white-bread plain things without someone getting in their face, unless they work together.

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

Josef bugman posted:

Awesome, and as a secondary update is it any good? And/or were there any simple reskins of the AW format to go alongside this? Thanks again for the info so promptly too!

It's not just reskins, but it's definitely an early hack that has some issues thematically. It tries to do too much and is pretty kitchen-sink. I've ran a Resident Evil game, a street-level detective game and a wandering Supernatural-style game with the same system, and they felt pretty similar despite their obvious differences in story and pacing.

That being said, it's still a solid game.

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

Josef bugman posted:

Depends I have never actually been able to play it as my local group (if you can call us that) doesn't really like story games as much as just board games. But I kind of like the over arching conspiracies, finding out about monsters and having multiple skills as opposed to the more specialized "One person is the hunter" esc world of Urban Shadows.

Yeah, that'd be something that MotW does pretty well, with each playbook having their own ways of dealing with monsters. I've ran MotW as a team game and it works great as long as people aren't always rolling 10+s, and even then, it's usually fun for the players. It's not a perfect system by any means, but it does what it says it'll do, and I'd argue there aren't any games that are better at rules-light narrative monster hunting than MotW. It's a pretty shallow genre.

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

Hiro Protagonist posted:

I have a come to a conclusion: I hate powered by the apocalypse games. Specifically, I hate the idea of moves. It makes role-playing into a purely mechanical thing in my experiences. If I want my character to be friendly with another character, but they fail there roll, I am forced to hate them. Similarly, the consequences being chosen by players makes me wonder why it even bothers with a GM. No one in real life can really control the consequences of their actions, so choosing the exact way I want things to go takes me out of the game. In a way, and players have far too little power over their characters, and for too much power over the world.

This is not to say I think that I think that players helping to define the world is bad; but I think it goes way too far.

However, I feel that I should try to make sure if it's as bad as I believe. Do you guys have this problem?

I think you might be looking too deeply into what the moves mean. At no point should you be forced into an action or belief by someone else failing a roll. Sometimes not even failing your own rolls can force what you do. The mechanics may say something, but why that happens in the narrative is up to you as long as it makes sense to the rest of the players and the GM. Obviously, with physical actions, they're a little more literal, but the social moves aren't usually hard-and-fast decisions forced onto people.

The GM is there for situations where there isn't an explicit 6- choice and something has to go wrong, and to keep the plot moving. They help create blank spaces for the players to fill, or to fill themselves if the players don't but they really need to be filled in. Also, depending on the game, they serve to add external conflict to push and pull internal PC conflicts. It's a different set of expectations but it's still needed for a lot of the PbtA games.

I will say that, like others, it's dropped out of my favorite system slot and I've grown a little tired of the sheer number of PbtA games coming out. That being said, it's a solid system that can sometimes be hard to get or understand without playing it, and while it's hard to play "wrong", it's pretty easy to try to force it to do things that it really isn't made for, then get some bad results from what follows.

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

QuantumNinja posted:

I've been working for a few months on a spy game in my free time, something sort of 1960s-trope-ish. I'm aiming for a mix of Man From Uncle (the movie), Evil Genuis (the vidja game), '60s-era James Bond, and I guess Archer.

Here's a link to what I have right now: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1BIwY4vrQR_Oq6x3OlnPeGaKMOFOJakJN4dFL41Ft5CE/edit?usp=sharing

I'd love some feedback.

(The gear isn't all done yet, and there's no GM section to speak of; it's mostly playbooks and basic rules.)

Got to read through some of it, and it looks generally pretty good. It seems a little odd that each member of the group can pick their own organization as a default for this particular idea, because when I think of that era, I think of everyone except maybe a token contact belonging to the main good guy organization. Overall, however, it seems to be going in the right direction.

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

Covok posted:

Two things:

1) I just learned that Vince McMahon once did a wrestling match with Shawn Micheals, a born again Christian, where he had God, represented as a spotlight, as his tag team partner. How would you do such lunacy in WWW:RPG. If the answer is you can't, that's fine as I can't just wanted to share that information.

This would just be background for most WWW games. Since it was clearly just a Heel Management Fucks With Face moment, it'd probably just be setup by a botch from HBK in some way a card or two before the match. If Vince McMahon sold for God (something that probably wouldn't happen if God came down from the heavens), it would probably be +work for the person selling the offense, if anything.

The same way you'd handle Man Loses Title Belt To The Title Belt and most of the shenanigans of pro wrestling. Just assume it's supposed to happen, and either count it as a promo, working the audience or a Wrestling move.

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

UrbanLabyrinth posted:

If I wanted to run a less-powered Monster of the Week campaign (inspired by Stranger Things and teen horror movies rather than Supernatural) with young adult or late teenage protagonists, what would be some good ways of modifying the playbooks to match the adjusted theme?

Not much that I can think of, things are prettty low-powered to start. Remember that early Supernatural was pretty low-powered, and the game was originally written a while ago. Maybe limit some of the crazier playbooks (Monstrous, Divine), maybe cut the amount of luck, but generally, it should work pretty well.

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

ShineDog posted:

Anyone aware of a playbook for any of the more classic pbta systems that might make for a good mcguyver type character? Someone who finds baking soda, a tyre hub, and a can of peaches and makes a powered grappling hook from it and that's kind of his entire schtick.

Just looking for some inspiration for my horrible hack/bodgejob.

I'd say look at the Savvyhead (from AW), the Expert (from MotW), and the Veteran (from Urban Shadows) for inspiration. None of them have only that, but a lot of them have degrees of MacGuyver to them. Also, take the idea from a lot of the Armory-style moves and benefits, which pop up in a lot more playbooks.

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

Outside of their "finishing move", there really isn't if I remember the playbook right. That being said, unless you can get Audience 4 without the rest of the wrestlers, you need people to help get you Audience.

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

Even with a Weird +3, there's still a decent chances of 7-9's and 6-s so you can't roll heals that well over and over again without some big issue popping up. Also, it doesn't stabilize wounds IIRC.

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

That's generally how I read it. It's better than tossing real fighting into Work (which then means Work is really, really good) or tossing going off script into Look, and definitely better than adding another stat to split the two. There's enough moves to pick up to change how you use the basic moves, so in play, it rarely comes up if you want to play someone who's a traditional shooter sort or a wildcard promo sort.

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

On top of everything else, it's a modern tradition for hardcore wrestlers to be batshit insane, doing things that will only legitimately hurt people, etc. The character may want to hurt the person, because they are an idiot and/or have some personal beef.

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

rumble in the bunghole posted:

Wouldn't work: pretty much every move is based on audience reaction, and the narrative thrust of the game is how your wrestlers interact with the pre-written storyline.

Yeah, you can remove the backstage segments from being actually in the backstage, and move them into an office or something (not like Dario's office, but an actual boring office). Or even have it be something that only happens between episodes. But there's a lot of kayfabe ideas tied into a lot of the mechanics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

BinaryDoubts posted:

Well, looks like I'm going to be running a Monster of the Week game for my girlfriend, my friend, and his two 65-year-old parents who have never played an RPG before. Any tips particular to MotW? It seems pretty straightforward from my readthroughs (aside from the 7,000 GM moves for monsters).

Make your monsters simple if you haven't run it before but have run PbtA. None of them are super-complicated, but most of them are not worth it to bring multiple moves per session. Have one big bad with a move, the rest being normal. Overall, if you stick to the book, it's pretty good at telling you exactly how to run it.