Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ron color
instead of "if this ever changing world in which we live in" paul could have said "if this ever changing world in which were living" and it'd sound the same but make more sense

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mapparu

when is he going to die

Mapparu

sorry i dont want to offend paul mccartney but he looks like 200 years old

ron color

Gross Dude

Gross Dude
Well, OP, this lyric comes in for a lot of criticism from people who like complaining about ungrammatical songs. Some people even hear one more “in” there: “But IN this ever-changing world IN which we live IN”! However, the phrase may be perfectly correct in the lyric as originally written, according to Pop Fiction: The Song in Cinema (2005), edited by Steve Lannin and Matthew Caley.

The song was written by Paul and Linda McCartney for the James Bond movie Live and Let Die (1973). It was also recorded by McCartney’s band Wings and released as a single.

Here’s the entire stanza, as quoted in Pop Fiction:

When you were young and your heart was an open book,
You used to say “live and let live”
(You know you did, you know you did, you know you did)
But if this ever-changing world in which we’re living
Makes you give in and cry,
Say “Live and Let Die.”

The language commentator Stan Carey, writing on the Macmillan Dictionary Blog, argues that the phrase is indeed “live in,” and he cites a defense of the usage by the linguist David Crystal.

“Certainly it’s ungrammatical; but it’s not unnatural,” Crystal says on his blog. “That kind of prepositional doubling is common enough in speech when people start to use one construction and switch into another, especially when the construction involved (as here) is a usage shibboleth.”

Carey also cites a July 30, 2009, Washington Post interview in which McCartney indicates that he’s unsure of the actual wording of the lyric:

“It’s kind of ambivalent, isn’t it?” he says as he waivers between whether the phrase is “we’re living” or “we live in.”

McCartney ultimately thinks the phrase is “we’re living” (the version given in Pop Fiction), though he regards “live in” as “wronger but cuter.”

We’d like to put in a plea here for caution when critiquing song lyrics. The words found on Internet song-lyric sites are generally supplied by fans who merely post what they think they’re hearing.

And what they hear isn’t necessarily what the lyricist wrote. That’s why we don’t trust what we can’t actually see in published books or sheet music.

In fact, we don’t generally get all hot and bothered about ungrammatical song lyrics. As we’ve written before on the blog, lyric writers are exempt from the rules of grammar, syntax, usage, spelling, pronunciation, and even logic!

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

you're wrong op on like every count but let's look at one point - in your "corrected" version you use the past tense with "were living" making the phrase now read as if we are all dead

saboten

Mapparu posted:

when is he going to die

thank u bacalou

saboten

paul mccartney has tortured me my entire life

thank u bacalou

ron color
in the song she's leaving home paul says "she's leaving home after living alone for so many years." but if she was leaving home, (away from her parents)it sounds like she only felt alone.....maybe Paul should have said "after feeling alone for so many years"

ron color

Gross Dude posted:

Well, OP, this lyric comes in for a lot of criticism from people who like complaining about ungrammatical songs. Some people even hear one more “in” there: “But IN this ever-changing world IN which we live IN”! However, the phrase may be perfectly correct in the lyric as originally written, according to Pop Fiction: The Song in Cinema (2005), edited by Steve Lannin and Matthew Caley.

The song was written by Paul and Linda McCartney for the James Bond movie Live and Let Die (1973). It was also recorded by McCartney’s band Wings and released as a single.

Here’s the entire stanza, as quoted in Pop Fiction:

When you were young and your heart was an open book,
You used to say “live and let live”
(You know you did, you know you did, you know you did)
But if this ever-changing world in which we’re living
Makes you give in and cry,
Say “Live and Let Die.”

The language commentator Stan Carey, writing on the Macmillan Dictionary Blog, argues that the phrase is indeed “live in,” and he cites a defense of the usage by the linguist David Crystal.

“Certainly it’s ungrammatical; but it’s not unnatural,” Crystal says on his blog. “That kind of prepositional doubling is common enough in speech when people start to use one construction and switch into another, especially when the construction involved (as here) is a usage shibboleth.”

Carey also cites a July 30, 2009, Washington Post interview in which McCartney indicates that he’s unsure of the actual wording of the lyric:

“It’s kind of ambivalent, isn’t it?” he says as he waivers between whether the phrase is “we’re living” or “we live in.”

McCartney ultimately thinks the phrase is “we’re living” (the version given in Pop Fiction), though he regards “live in” as “wronger but cuter.”

We’d like to put in a plea here for caution when critiquing song lyrics. The words found on Internet song-lyric sites are generally supplied by fans who merely post what they think they’re hearing.

And what they hear isn’t necessarily what the lyricist wrote. That’s why we don’t trust what we can’t actually see in published books or sheet music.

In fact, we don’t generally get all hot and bothered about ungrammatical song lyrics. As we’ve written before on the blog, lyric writers are exempt from the rules of grammar, syntax, usage, spelling, pronunciation, and even logic!

so I was right

ron color

Bo-Pepper posted:

you're wrong op on like every count but let's look at one point - in your "corrected" version you use the past tense with "were living" making the phrase now read as if we are all dead

i know thats you paul, what did you do with the original

i am he

ron color
rocky raccoon isnt about a raccoon at all

Salmiakki

https://twitter.com/sallymiakki
ty cat dynamite

i am he

Paul was possessed by an alien brain crab (hence his sometimes tenuous grasp on the English language), that manifested itself through his bowl cut. After consuming him in 1967 it possessed many elementary schoolers while searching for a suitable host, in some cases it would control the host even until middle school. In 2013 it jumped from a dog that everyone thought had a funny haircut to Dylann Storm Roof, after it mistook him for a guy with a normally spelled name.

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

saboten posted:

paul mccartney has tortured me my entire life

ron color

google THIS

actually, Paul McCartney, it's about ethics in video game journalism

treasure bear

corrected

verily carefree

hahaha

treasure bear

oops sorry

ron color

Cumt posted:

oops sorry

lol

verily carefree

Cumt posted:

oops sorry

Correct.

Commie NedFlanders

paul mcfartney

☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭
Love God, Love Thy Neighbor
☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭☭

Lastgirl

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
why do rockers look weird when they age

like they try to fight off being old and stay current

its super dpressin

Salmiakki

Cumt posted:

oops sorry

https://twitter.com/sallymiakki
ty cat dynamite

Bunnyfart
"Never seeing no one nice again like you"
Band on the run

ron color
how about "and seeing someone nice again like you." Yeah I think that works

Bo-Pepper

Want some rye?
Course ya do!

you still haven't addressed my initial criticism ron color are you saying we are all dead ARE WE ALL DEAD

ron color
we are living, paul.....I think I see how this got messed up in the first place

Awesome!

Ready for adventure!

ron color posted:

rocky raccoon isnt about a raccoon at all

it's a story about the dangers of the dakota mining industry

ron color
Oh yeah, all right
Are you gonna be in my dreams tonight?

Love you, love you
Love you, love you
Love you, love you
Love you, love you
Love you, love you
Love you, love you
Love you, love you
Love you, love you
Love you, love you
Love you, love you
Love you, love you
Love you, love you

And in the end, the love you take
Is equal to the love you make

:whitewater:

GEExCEE

i am he

ron color
The fool on the hill
Sees the sun going down
lets get a pizza and
See the world spinning around

joke_explainer

hmm probably

tao of lmao

weird

by zen death robot

ron color posted:

Oh yeah, all right
Are you gonna be in my dreams tonight?

Love you, love you
Love you, love you
Love you, love you
Love you, love you
Love you, love you
Love you, love you
Love you, love you
Love you, love you
Love you, love you
Love you, love you
Love you, love you
Love you, love you

And in the end, the love you take
Is equal to the love you make

:whitewater:

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Loutre

✓COMFY
✓CLASSY
✓HORNY
✓PEPSI
paul mccartney has a daughter named Beatrice Milly

those are my 2 cats' names

ama

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulvir

"Ebony and ivory
Live together in perfect harmony
Side by side on my piano keyboard"

bullshit they do. Have you seen a keyboard before? The white keys clearly takes up way more space and have a lot more privilege than the black keys. Stick your make-believe progressivism up your rear end

• Locked thread