Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kaskitew
Dec 28, 2012
Alrighty then, apparently China does not like SA forums, that or like any other western website over there sans Yahoo, it loaded too slowly for my patience. That aside, my half year graduation present to myself is over and I'm back and thriving in the west! Perhaps this time I'll actually finish what I have started as I have this lovely jobless summer over at my parents's to be lazy!

For those who are new at this, welcome to Super Robot Wars, you picked a nice place to begin, because this is the very beginning of Super Robot Wars. At the same time, you picked a terrible place to begin, because this game is nearly 25 years old and it will definitely show throughout the game.
That being said, I have taken it my responsibility to attempt to make my playthough at least a little less painful than actually playing the game so you can see how this noble series started without having to touch it!

For those returning, it's just the same prick writing the same old bile, only half a year later. If I don't finish this time, you can probably assume that I ate too much dairy in one day after not having access to it for half a year, and that probably killed me, or gave me the shits or something.
With that lovely image in your mind, let's hurry up and finish Super Robot Wars!

Table of Contents
Prologue: Pretty Boys Make Sub-Par Heroes
Episode I: I am Cheating Already
Episode II: Zeta Goes Fishing for Zaku IIs
Episode III: Speedy Like a Red Comet
Episode IV: The Most Thrilling "Labyrinth" Ever
Episode V: Zeta Wins By Doing Absolutely Nothing
Episode VI: Z Gundam's Big Day Out
Episode VII: Death is Not a Concept in the Gundam Franchise
Episode VIII: Char's Worst Nightmare
Episode IX: UC Women are Always Scary Pilots
Episode X: Hyaku Shik- Z To the Rescue!
Episode XI: Spidersnake
Episode XII: We Kill Sarah Four Times
Endgame: But, It May Be Invaded By The Other Metroid

Kaskitew fucked around with this message at 11:36 on Aug 22, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaskitew
Dec 28, 2012
Chapter VIII: Char's Worst Nightmare

Halfway there for attack, which honestly surprises me because I could have sworn that his SPD would be his best stat. His DEF is no problem because he has towers to abuse and 71 HP to play around with.

But whatever because he can fly. #pegasusknight2015

What the hell is a Zoan and didn't we just have a showdown with elites like a couple of chapters ago?

Bandai is really into the "L" shaped maps in this point of their game making careers. Good thing they didn't make Tetris or some real poo poo would have gone down.

Z really has to haul rear end during this chapter because everyone comes at once, but he only has so long to grab everything and escape to the sea before they arrive. The enemies also only leave about half a turn for him to get out of the way and leave Hyaku Shiki to intercept them.

As with most F-91 series, the Berga Giros has decent stats, but what really makes him threatening is his MOV, which means he can get to Z faster than comfort allows.
He also has a beam shield, which is pretty neat.

Fortunately, there's just one of them, meaning Z can get out of there before the rest come.

And trust me, with no towers in the area, he does not want to be there when those MS's arrive.

In many ways, this chapter is all about intimidation, they throw everything at you from the start. If you can hold your ground, and take a few hits, it gets better once you get past the bend.

This lovely coloured MS titled RX-110 Gabthley is a proto transformable MS, thus the high SPD. It's piloted by the ever so unfortunate-it's-rather-hilarious Jarid, AKA Camille's rival.
Unfortunately we can assume he isn't fist fighting Camille on an exploding mountain while heavily bandaged and using crutches, so he is a bit out of Z's league in terms of SPD.

To make matters worse, PMX-003 aptly named "The O" is out there ready to stir things up.
The O is the main baddie's of Gundam Z's final MS. While it might be big and fat like an O, with Scirocco piloting it, it is more than a match for both Haman and Char (conveniently in his Hyaku Shiki).

And of course, the usual monster bait too slow to either hit our hero, nor last two rounds.

DEUS EX MACHINA..

ACTIVATE! (Guts 100% restores the leader's HP)

Thank you for the free turn, Mr. Gaplant.

And off to boss land we go!

I wish my breasts shot heat rays.

There is a pretty intense difficulty curve coming up, so Hyaku Shiki is going to need these to be on top of his A game. I'll explain more once we get to that point, as I am sure I'm not the only one who had to restart the entire game because of how cheap the enemies get in the next few chapters.

For now, boss land occupies our thoughts, and the two copies of Haman Karn and four boss guardians.

Meet the NZ-000 Quin Mantha (Queen Mansa?), piloted by an evil twin schoolgirl and later piloted by the creep who created her. For such a heavily armoured MS, its DEF is tin foil, but doesn't mean that it's a pushover by all means.

The real problem is that 3/5 the enemies have funnels meaning you have to get into their range or they will be able to snipe.

But.. well.. HamanX2 just wasn't feeling it this chapter, so really, the Quin is the only "threat" in boss land.

And with high 20s for DEF, you can imagine how long this lasts.
Whilst Puru 2 finds it creepy to be blasted to bits.

She does give out the motherlode in EXP though!

Haman did not give as much grief as she does in later SRW titles or Gundam series, so Char let Z handle her for some desperate EXP.

And we end this chapter ala Sailor Moon!

Okay seriously, this headache from finally eating dairy after six months is really starting to get annoying.
See y'all next time in the Labyrinth of DOOOOOOM! (Only slightly less painful to play than Lufia and the Fortress of Doom)

Kaskitew fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Jun 26, 2015

Kaskitew
Dec 28, 2012
Chapter IX: UC Women Are Always Scary Pilots

+2 STR, +2 HP

Basically Ashley from Resident Evil 4 so to speak, only perpetually angry because Camille is the pilot.

For those who are confused by the bare minimum story told through the story screens, Pigdoron is the prick who led us to the dreaded ocean chapter a few updates ago, vanished and only showed up again now. He's basically exactly the same way when addressing the SRW story canon; some games reference him, others pretend he didn't exist.
He is both a jerk for leading us to big maps and will be a jerk on the battlefield in maps to come.

Not to mention, his clear lack for symmetric awareness really grinds my gears.

For the most part, this map makes you go out and get the enemy for a change. In retrospect, it's sort of boring as the map is so large and the enemies don't really help in utilizing all the space provided.

First to greet us is the XM-04 Berga Dalas, technically the older version of the Berga Giros we just fought last chapter, but strangely with better stats. Given the fact that F-91 was only a movie and character development was minimal, there's not too much to say about who piloted the Berga MS's. In many ways, they're like Zakus, only forever better and with beam shields!

As if monster mecha were slow enough, the fact that they are paired with speedy F-91 MS's in this fight only makes them seem all the more pathetic.

tbh, the only things I remember from F-91 were the beam shields and weird virus things that wanted to eat humanity for some reason or another. That and the main character's name was Seabook.
Anyway, the commander exclusive recon MS, the XM-06 Dahgi Iris poses a threat as his speed matches Hyaku Shiki's and they come in bulk.

Conveniently by that point when the Dahgi Iris start flooding the stage, I was already in the top-left corner holding a chokepoint and Z was out of their range, raiding the base.

After wasting whatever amount of turns hanging out at the chokepoint, Char finds himself in boss land.
The problem with this battle is the fact that the Elmeths and Geymalks both have 5RG attacks and are spread out in a way that you can only take one on at the time while the other three bombard you into oblivion. In reality though, it's more of an inconvenience than anything.

We fought the Elmeth in what, Chapter 2? And the Geymalk wasn't much of a threat when we took her on originally. It does add up having four MS's all attacking at once with accurate funnels, averaging 20HP a turn, however they don't last long.

Meanwhile Camille does his thing and nabs some stuff for the BS we face next chapter.

And for the fourth time, Char has killed his girlfriend.

Right, so for the boss, whose map sprite looks like some mecha mouse or something!

We are up against the Alpha Azieru, another mobile armour. For the most part, it's piloted by some schoolgirl named Quess Paraya from the movie, Char's Counterattack, and she has some dumb love triangle with Captain Bright's son and Char. She's pretty annoying in the movie and also pretty annoying in this game as we will shortly see.

Her big thing is she has 6RG with 110HIT meaning it is impossible to fully heal as the healing tower is in her range, and if you get too close she will zap you with the less accurate but more deadly Particle Cannon.

If anything the tower is a trap because you can only long range from there and it's better just to have a counter attack with 1RG than to sit on the tower and try to take her out from afar.

Z had to join in to take some hits because Hyaku Shiki was getting his rear end whooped.

After some healing and boiling blood, our hero returns with boiling veins for round 2 with his biggest fangirl.

It goes quite well for the most part!

Because Z gave him a distraction to heal, 11DMG is laughable at best. Were it her ParticleCannon, it would probably be another story, cuz' that poo poo stings.

Hathaway was supposed to do that while you were having a lover's quarrel with Amuro about an asteroid you sent towards Earth.

Nothing better than getting a bit of experience from young virgin maidens!

poo poo starts to get real next chapter, and annoying boss fights right up to the end of the game!

:toot:

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Yay this is back!
Love the little MS asides.

Kaskitew
Dec 28, 2012
Thanks for sticking with me! I was thinking of maybe LPing the PSX remake of Dai-2 sometime as well, I recently beat it and really enjoyed it. From what I was able to understand from playing it, the script isn't too different from the NES script.
And jeez, hard to believe that this game only has about four more chapters to go before it's done, and that's what is keeping me motivated. Although I do have to replay up to this point to nab the next boss's status screen as I seemingly failed to get a picture of it, but I'll get to it. You can probably clear this game under two hours with an F-91 solo, probably even less with a flying unit like Getter.
I also really hope EclecticTastes returns to get the Mazinger monsters for me.

Kaskitew
Dec 28, 2012
Chapter X: Hyaku Shik- Z To the Rescue!

It never fails to blow my mind how there are three Chobham Armours (missed one) in the chapter before. That's like six wonderful free HP that prolongs me having to haul rear end to a tower to heal.

Z's still hangin' in there, LV10 n' all!

I see four grammatical mistakes in this short splurge of nineteen words.

I don't know why they decided that this map should have a neat crescent design to it, but that's the least of our problem.

Water maps! :argh:

So with that out of the way, we begin moving, as we are going to have a move a great deal in this chapter in order to get it done in a decent turn count.

The guy to the north in the previous pic is this dude. He has 7 move, can fly, has a lot of friends and absolutely loves Z. That is a problem because Z only has 6 move and is easily ripped to shreds.

To the west of the starting point are three of these silly looking MS's named NRX-055 Baund Doc. They are piloted by a cyber newtype named Rosamia Badam who had her memory altered so she thought she was Kamille's long lost sister.

Since you'll probably be fighting her on land, she has the potency to be very nasty.

Naturally seeing some girl with a remote relationship with him, Kamille decides to swoop in and finish her off. More wondrous kill steals to come.

She says that to everyone by the way. I guess the goons working under Pighead altered her brain so she thinks she's related to everyone.

At this point Z gets cocky and decides to take on the monsters. It ends terribly.

And the scent of Z's fear draws the monster's companions in droves.

Gold Boy to the rescue!

And he's had enough of monster mecha!

I honestly think LV12 or 13 is the max possible level you can get in this game even if you're playing with one MS.

Because the level bosses increasingly start to become stupider and stupider from this point on, Biosensors are more of our best friend than they already were.

Bitches

can't

touch

dis' :c00lbert:

I noticed that all the MS's driven by Char like to aggressively growl when they get hit.

What's this about the Hyaku Shiki being a rather weak MS built mainly around speed?

And two more dodges for good measure.

Over in the unused portion of the map, there's pretty much this and an empty tower that no one in their right minds would use because it's so far out of the way and there's another tower right in boss territory.

I love how this is not on the tower, rather in the even more inconveniently placed island tile.

18 turns later and I think the Hyaku Shiki is finally ready to go on the assault!

While Z finishes up his looting before hell breaks loose.

At least they're nice to add island tiles (with trees!!) to make the water navigation a little less tedious.

Come this point, you really want Z to just chill out at the end of the map. These jerks for god knows how long start to spew out of that fort.

Subsequently that means that Hyaku Shiki had to traverse the mountain tiles to nab this handy item.

Now it's time to meet in my opinion, the hardest BS boss in the game!

40 DEF! Not even the second final boss in the game has that! What this equates to is you pretty much have to have shoved every single Biosensor down one character's throat until this point, or you are not even going to do double digits to this prick with 76 HP. And because this rear end is on a tower, he also heals around 20 HP a turn.

I had to restart my first run because I tried to play this game alla Fire Emblem by equally using all my units, but once I got to here, it just didn't cut it. And now I know to never use Guncannon because he can't even cross water tiles.

And don't think he's going to give you a nice time with offence either, nor is there water around to mitigate his lasers.

Luckily we have Z to take shots and fly away.

Damage done while under the influence of HotBlood, mind you.

That's around 26 guaranteed HP gone a phase, giving us three turns to take him out.

And jerkface of course can heal between enemy phase.

I've had it with your poo poo!

It lasts for one round of combat. :doh:

MISS.

I get lucky with the second shot..

But I leave him living by a thread.

Z to the rescue! :bravo:
I would have been very pissed if he left Pighead with 1HP.

The real treasure he hunts for is the time he gets to secretly save Hyaku Shiki's rear end over and over.

Well, let's "zoom" out of this god awful chapter and put bad memories behind us, become the bosses past this point are not so terrifying!

Girgilgun is the prick who invaded Super Robot World if you don't remember the beginning story.
Like FE, the second in command is a lot scarier than the big guy himself though.

Kaskitew fucked around with this message at 08:39 on Jul 7, 2015

Kaskitew
Dec 28, 2012
Chapter XI: Spidersnake

Just from the last battle, he gained a modest +2 STR, BUT +8 HP from all the Chobham Armours.

Meanwhile Z fell behind a level, but from all the HP gains Hyaku Shiki has been getting, he might be getting the excess Chobham Armours in the following battles.

And Getter gets all the Hearts of Justice because why the hell not?

All right, so this means we are up against the final boss! The narrator is also extremely excited as shown through his usage of five exclamation marks.

Ugghghgh, full battle maps. At least we are done with sea maps and will never have to seriously cross water tiles ever again to continue on a fight.
I mean "short cuts" exist which include crossing a river to get to boss land, but at least they're not ten tiles long and wide.

Y'all know the drill by know, although treasure is sparse or just evenly distributed amongst such a large map.

While Hyaku trudges north to take the scenic beach route to the boss that isn't infested with mountain ranges.

Ah, nothing better than the look of "two turns later" on every SRT map!

IIRC Z didn't even get into a single encounter in this battle because this map has so much chokepoints that Hyaku Shiki was able to tank his way through while Z was safely allowed to extract mediocre treasures such as this one.

Welp, with that distraction out of the way and now fully healed, let's continue down the beach path!

How I would kill for the "Double Move" gimmick of fast units in later SRT titles versus this version's double attack at this point.

*LEISURE LEISURE*

Hey mr. derpy alligator surrounded by four Queen Manthas!

I'm pretty sure that tree had a Biosensor in it and was in a very inconvenient location that no one in their right mind would go to unless they knew that that lone tree had something in it.

Oh god, the mountain path.

So basically to the west of the starting point, there's this mountain labyrinth. It leads nowhere, has absolutely nothing within it and is generally slower than the beach route to the north.

Like if you really can't stand the concept of seizing the throne without killing everything, there's this obscure monster hiding here. However, it's so badly levelled that even Z would probably gain single digit EXP gains.

Then once you clear the mountain range and get near the boss..

You have to deal with a GOD drat FOREST!

There's also a tower to the west most part of the map which does absolutely nothing because it's in the middle of nowhere and there are no enemies around to make use of it.

Long story short: mountains suck and the beach is the place you wanna be.

Naturally because Paptimus Scirocco absolutely refuses anyone to have fun, on the beach nonetheless, he and like 50 other The 0's show up.

Z, meanwhile still has yet to shoot a single enemy down.

While Hyaku shreds 0 to pieces for the umpteenth time.

If Hyaku Shiki isn't at 99 HP at the beginning of next chapter I will be making GBS threads bri[x].

Anyway, let's go check out our friend.

OH JESUS CHRIST I HATE SNAKES WITH SPIDER LEGS!
89 Charisma, really? Would you allow yourself to be seduced by a spidersnake?

I mean the threat of being stepped on by his iron claws certainly has a matter of rhetoric of its own I guess.

He can also shoot some pretty lovely lasers that makes Pighead look all the more terrifying.

Z literally ran out of things to do at this point so he decided to chill in the useless tower. Wonder if they have a working microwave there to heat up a bag of popcorn?

Because this boss isn't Pighead..

Hyaku Shiki proceeds to kick the living daylights out of his goonies..

Double attack his goonies, effectively ORKO'ing them...

Gain a level because he's the Hyaku Shiki soloing every map...

And make the final boss beg for mercy...

Get stepped on for minimal damage...

Fabulously counter the final boss...

Fabulously dodge the final bosses attack...

And kill him all without requiring to heal.

He also gives out crap for EXP, but 13 is max level.

There were also goonies remaining, but Hyaku Shiki pulls off his regular antics of never getting hit by anything.

Too late Z, nothing here to kill steal!

But thanks for the help anyway.

All too late, but oh so cool~

As long as he ditches the legs for something less frightening and more mecha, I'm down!

mkwong98
Feb 8, 2013
Good job! Is the boss original?

Kaskitew
Dec 28, 2012
Bandai original? Yep, him and Pigdoron both are. Although you don't really hear from either after this game as later series tend to pretend that this game doesn't exist and the SRT storyline began with the second instalment. This is true to some respect as the second game actually has pilots in the mobile suits, and dialogue, versus magically talking mecha and a quick story screen before the start of the map like in this game.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Well, nearly at the end, and I have to ask.

Why is the first thread named after Char?

All we've had in this part of LP has been Quattro Bajeena's mobile suit. It hardly seems worth mentioning Char when he only appears in one mission.

Kaskitew
Dec 28, 2012
Char is Quattro, I just never got into the habit of calling Char Quattro because it's so obvious that Char is Quattro that I just always called him Char.

But in retrospect, you are absolutely correct that I probably should have called him Quattro for Z Gundam purposes. Hope I didn't spoil Z's plot twist for anyone!

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

GeneralContempt posted:

Char is Quattro, I just never got into the habit of calling Char Quattro because it's so obvious that Char is Quattro that I just always called him Char.

But in retrospect, you are absolutely correct that I probably should have called him Quattro for Z Gundam purposes. Hope I didn't spoil Z's plot twist for anyone!

That's absurd.

Quattro wears sunglasses. Char Aznable doesn't wear glasses.

Prism
Dec 22, 2007

yospos

chiasaur11 posted:

That's absurd.

It holds up.

Next GeneralContempt will be telling me Superman and Clark Kent are the same guy, too. Preposterous!

Kaskitew
Dec 28, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

That's absurd.

??????

Also I really need to get into the habit of scanning things/ruining my books because my phone camera takes too intense of pictures for SA to ever allow me to post not shrunken to hell.

mkwong98
Feb 8, 2013
I've seen Pigdoron in other SRW games before:

Kaskitew
Dec 28, 2012
Is that screen from the PSX's Complete Box? Mind you I haven't gotten too far in Dai-3 in Complete Box yet (beat Dai-2 a few weeks ago), Pigdoron does make an appearance in it as I have beaten the SNES version a couple of times. On that note, Dai-3 is probably the most liberal SRT games I've played when it comes to making references towards the original and other games.

Twilkitri
Feb 23, 2013
Girgilgun and Pigdoron are both from Mazinger/Getta crossover movies.

mkwong98
Feb 8, 2013

GeneralContempt posted:

Is that screen from the PSX's Complete Box? Mind you I haven't gotten too far in Dai-3 in Complete Box yet (beat Dai-2 a few weeks ago), Pigdoron does make an appearance in it as I have beaten the SNES version a couple of times. On that note, Dai-3 is probably the most liberal SRT games I've played when it comes to making references towards the original and other games.

It is from SRW FF for Sega Saturn

Kaskitew
Dec 28, 2012
Episode XII: We Kill Sarah Four Times

I do believe F-91 Gundam averages about low 70s in ATK at this point, and also has VSBR, the strongest weapon Team Gundam has. vGundam, about mid 60s AND has Funnels, the only ranged non-beam weapon of Team Gundam which has perfect adaptability and aim.
Our hero will do though, 98HP and 55 SPD means he can double most scrubs and take Girgilgun's attacks head on. We might cut the final battle real close, but tower abuse!

Z gained +4 HP if that means anything to anyone?

And Great Mazinger got more handsome than he already was.

Apparently by kicking his rear end again?
Like we just proved that killing him only makes him stronger. Why are we doing this again? What do you think the outcome is going to be?

Anyway, here is our level, and unlike most levels which gives you time to prepare for the oncoming enemies, you are thrown right into enemy territory.

And the closest tower is about a mountain range and a couple of forest tiles away.

So naturally, the first instinct is to RUN THE HELL AWAY!

The game's got you covered though, as right on cue, Big Zam starts spewing out of the river near the cloud of enemies that you just ran from.

Meanwhile, Hyaku Shiki is being assaulted by a weird legless, airborne MS, oh boy!

And this poo poo's still strange looking even in non-SD mode.
The MSN-02 Zeong, I'm pretty sure is Char's final MS in the first Gundam anime. The only notable weapon it had was its detachable fingers that shot lasers; some Mario RPG poo poo right there.
It later gets destroyed by the Gundam and then the pilots end up having a sword fight in an exploding space fortress with the rapiers that magically appear.

He says as his MA surges with electricity and is on the verge of explosion.

Well, someone was supposed to kamikaze pilot into it, for the umpteenth time in 0079, but I suppose Z needs the EXP more?
People in 0079 are otherwise immortal, lest they choose to ram their ships and MSs into things.

The path to the boss is otherwise very pleasant.

This is just one side, mind you as I was too lazy to fly on the other side and look for stuff.

Just pay attention to the turn count, that took like 15 turns just to reach the top-most part of the map.

Messala! :argh:
If I have to kill Sarah one more time...

Also Girgilgun now has a Getter Robo sticking out of its back. I'm not sure if it's mounting the spidersnake now, because I think I see hands, or if it's attached to it.

He still runs the risk of stepping on things.

But he also switched his ability to shoot lasers to the ability to control the flow of gravity, lovely!

One more, for good measure. You did well, Z.

Take that Sarah! Didn't even get a chance to scream into the mic.

You too, Reccoa!

Haters gonna ha-

Oh my goodness.
That being said, this playthrough, Z honestly brought more than I was originally expecting him to. I really just wanted him for his wings, but he has made a worthy meatshield and kill stealer.

Also, damage calculation is weird in this game. Gravity should have been ridiculously stronger than Iron Claw, but as you can see, it's a bit stronger, as Hyaku Shiki has a much higher DEF than Z. I think melee combat using 1~1 RG weapons just deals more damage than ranged combat.

Pictured: Sarah attacking from beyond the grave/in her Pallas Athene.

Pictured: Stupid luck and no strategy whatsoever.

Z is too offended by being twisted in gravity to rejoin combat.

Would have felt better with a full heal, but at least it did the job.

Meanwhile, Sarah continues to ride our rear end.

And refuses to die a clean death, much like how she was in Z Gundam.

And stay dead!

Ugghghgh 33 turns, and that's about a mid sized battle.

On the bright side, Train finally for the first time showed up and I got vital STR boosts!

Lemme guess, our solution is to kill him again?

Tune in next time for abusive boyfriends and climatic endings in the final episode for Super Robot Wars!

Kaskitew fucked around with this message at 10:18 on Jul 27, 2015

Kaskitew
Dec 28, 2012
Sorry for the dramatic delay right before the final boss, I forgot to take screenshots of the boss's stats and arsenal so I am grudgingly and slowly replaying the entire game to get the stats.

God this LP made me play this game FOUR TIMES, all together with a total playthrough number of seven, just one more playthrough than my current favourite, SRW3.
EDIT: And Getter Robo is the best unit in the game for all those who want to breeze through this game.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse
Yeah nothing in this game is an original enemy - basically if you see a robot that isn't from Gundam it's probably from Mazinger, and if you see something that's some weird monster thing then it's probably from Getter Robo. Both Gilgilgan and Pigdoron are both from one of the many Mazinger Z movies. I think they were really heavily used most prominently in MX but IIRC they both showed up in Alpha and Alpha Gaiden.

The remake recently DID add a new final boss, Sentou God Noa and I have no idea what his deal is!

Bob Smith
Jan 5, 2006
Well Then, What Shall We Start With?
From what I recall from a black hole of watching old robot movies in Italian on youtube, Gilgilgan is from Great Mazinger vs Getter Robo and is a spider-snake-robot-centaur thing. SRW Alpha Gaiden then had Mecha Gilgilgan which is an even bigger version with horribly high stats that gets spammed horribly in late missions.

I do know it's a loving pain in the arse in SRW MX, because like so many of the missions based on those spinoff movies you're expected to play out the events right (usually involving using Boss Borot as bait) and if you attack it too soon / too hard it's game over.

Kaskitew
Dec 28, 2012
Endgame: But, It May Be Invaded By The Other Metroid

Hey gurl hey I'm back for the final time. Just played this game over again to get some screenshots that I missed. I also finally see the light after playing this game NOT using Team Gundam.

Take that, stupid endgame bosses Hyaku Shiki had problems with! :hellyeah:

What I don't see however, is why on Earth would someone play this game using more than two units? It's so slow and stats are so paltry that dividing them would make the lord character suck so much. :iiam:

On the topic of Team Mazinger, I found it cool how different a person should play each team. Mazinger and Getter are all about keeping the units you start the game with, Team Getter in particular, which has little weapon updates every now and then, but for the most part are supported by their great starting arsenal and great stats. Team Mazinger also keeps their units, but gets a lot of weapon upgrades as the game progresses. Team Gundam on the other hand, are not intended on remaining the same, as seen with the case of the Guncannon, who by lategame, becomes so deplorable he literally cannot be used. I guess it sort of correlates to the anime, pilots always change MS's and rarely keep the same MS for the entire series.

However because most of us play Fire Emblem, the idea of losing a unit forever is disturbing and if you're anything like me, Team Gundam doesn't change and in time their stats, weapons and gimmicks stagnate. In short, that is why Team Gundam has so many enemy units as opposed to Mazinger and Getter, you're supposed to recruit them and watch the old ones go up in flames.

It also doesn't help that Mazinger and Getter get the benefit of flying and not losing anything at all, while Team Gundam gets two flying units who need to lose access to their main weaponry in order to fly.

With that said, let's finish this game!

The Endgame team! That failure to max out his HP is really going to bug me and wow, Z was able to keep up in the DEF department this entire run without a single Alloy Armour. The Hyaku Shiki really isn't endgame material, but I couldn't do that to my favourite MS.

But- but, we're using the exact same weapons as we did last episode!

The final chapter looks like a boxing ring from satellite view, love it.

And our two competitors are about to enter it!

Yup, turn 2 reinforcements, basically just a spammage of Psycho Gundams. This whole floor is dedicated to the tragic love interests in Gundam (Lalah and Four) and evil loveable women (Haman and Chara). We dealt with Sarah and Reccoa (confused characters with good in them) last episode.

Big Zam also makes an appearance!

If that chokepoint doesn't scream "Play SRW with two characters!" then I don't know what does.

So we do exactly that and no doubt prepare for the worst!

Max HP, yassssssss.

We're going to have to switch sides, Z...

Right after I kill your girlfriend for like the tenth time this chapter.

WOW, thanks for the contribution.

The switch is painful and turn consuming.

But I gets the job done aptly.

Okay so LV 15 is the cap for sure!

"Despite the fact that I've been a complete prick to you and that you're popping back mind controlling pills, do you think you can.. make the switch?"

Now that I think about it, Cecily's MS is the only female piloted MS that can join your team, all the other female pilots refuse to listen. Trying to say something, Bandai? :argh:

Welp, guess it's time to finish this chapter like how we finished Episode 1.

Hyaku Shiki: Enjoys long romantic walks in crumbling labyrinths.

We are however, intercepted by five Geymalks with deadly cleavage.

I feel that if I recruited someone with Funnels or just used vGundam, my run would have had a lot less problems, but eh, I made it to endgame using a crappy MS and a good MS who I barely used so whatever.

He tries, it's the most we can ask of him.

Oh Chara, you don't deserve such humiliation, you had the best death scene in the Gundam series so far!

Progress however, is slow as the Geymalks are in the final bosses range so you need to snipe them one by one by afar, lest you want to get hit by angry final boss lasers.

Hyaku Shiki's max level with every resource in the game shoved down his throat. Decent boss killing ATK which is completely made nil by the fact that Mazinger, Getter and F-91 Gundam all have high 80s if they used all the Biosensors, and furthermore undermined by the fact that his MegaBazookaLauncher has 7ATK, while Mazinger and Getter's final upgrades have 11ATK and are suited for 1RG combat.

And that my friends, is how you fanboy in a video game.

With the final Geymalk soon to be out of our way, that means we can proceed to the final boss.

With a quick rest on the final tower (which is totally in range of the final boss)...

We begin our assault.

Girgilgun, the final boss. Thanks to the users who called me out on the origins of Girgilgun, he is not a Bandai original, he is from an obscure Super Mazinger VS Getter Robo movie.

As for a final boss, he definitely has the looks now, discarding the odd spider mounting think for a pair of evil wings and a snake tail. However his arsenal is exactly the same from the last battle, his stats (HP and SPD in particular) increased, albeit.

It begins.. quite disastrous to tell the truth.

But thanks to the wondrous power of deus ex machina, we are given a glorious second chance. It took me like two wasted SP attempts to get the right combo, but who cares? I have 7SP to mess around with.

Apparently Beam Sabre is of bash element?

This time.. goes a lot better!

However my luck absolutely forbids me to beat any final boss easily.

Girgilgun is smart see, if he targeted the Hyaku Shiki, that would mean he would counter and 9/10 probably end the fight. So naturally he targets poor innocent children who are only watching the fight.

It would appear that Hot Blood lasted one glorious attack.

Enemies with high SPD stats! :argh:

Welp! Now I'm counting my lucky stars I gave those last three Chobham Armours to Z before starting this map!

We will beat this threat with the power of Friendship!

AAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

DEM SPD STATS! :argh:

Just as things appear to look the gloomiest...

The power of friendship comes to aid our hero!

Guarded by the power of the Hyaku Shiki's loyal friendship...

The Gundam Z..

Deals the killing blow to Girgilgun, firmly holding on to his title of "Killsteal King"

I actually read that as "abortion" when I first beat this game. But yay we blew up the final boss not by skill but by overloading it!

Too bad we absolutely slaughtered every last live robot, monster, thing who lived on this world. :ohdear:

We're about 23 years into the series and millions of uncounted games and there has been anything but peace.

This can either be a good thing or a bad thing. He could have been in charge of the design of the cute SD artwork, or in charge of the map design.

You and your four attack animations.

Seven and a half songs, but loved them all.

Sat in his/her chair with a cup of coffee the entire time, occasionally poking the staff with a meter stick.

Hey! Z is not just some generic portrait for a 'Thanks' part of the credits!

..Ooya, ugh. ugh. ugh.

It's 1991, so I'll give him a break.

Brought fresh lettuce and cucumbers to the staff every morning.

Hi Haro!

Bye everyone, thanks for joining me!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mkwong98
Feb 8, 2013
Good job!

• Locked thread