Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
Call me crazy, but I think the people involved in the silly internet video game drama are all silly over-dramatic video game nerds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Hadaka Apron posted:

Could you tell us more about this attempted murder? I haven't heard anything about it yet.
Gamergate operative Jace Connors attempted to assassinate Brianna Wu in a street racing duel but was foiled by her minions en route.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
I don't think stalking is socially acceptable.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Effectronica posted:

It is as long as you're solely interested in harassing people. Once it shades over into something that's blatantly criminal, it's something that the police will care about, maybe, but if you just restrict yourself to harassing people over the phone and the internet and the mail, nobody really cares about stopping you, and the youngest people care least of all.

EDIT: This is because we live in a world where you are being stalked constantly, and everyone knows that. In order to end it, you need to rework the social order.
Oh, I was using socially acceptable in the "you can tell normal people you're doing it and they won't think you're a creep" sense.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
RIP Hellthread, you were too beautiful for this world.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

PupsOfWar posted:

Wait are gamerdweebs still On about this?
Yeah, neither side can leave it alone so it will never end.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

paranoid randroid posted:

im glad weve got yet another thread dedicated to mining the dankest twitter drama where nothing actually happens ever. some loving epic lulz to be unearthed here.
We're down to one now, please try and keep up.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Helsing posted:

Well, after perusing this thread and googling a few of the names and terms used I've concluded that this is the stupidest thing ever. Jesus loving Christ twitter is terrible.
Got it in one.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

ALL-PRO SEXMAN posted:

This thread is so much worse than the other one ever was.
Everything is going according to plan.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Red Suit posted:

Ralp did good, this thread is much better than the last one.
Everybody knows the best way to make people shut up is to let them know just how much they're irritating you.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Motto posted:

I'm glad this thread has already degenerated into involved arguments about people's opinions on individual character designs.
It's like when they transplant someone elses poo poo into your colon to kickstart your gut flora.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

free space, motherfucker
Well, if it's a 5x5 grid you still need 4. Unless it's 4x4 and the free space is off centre?

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
I think banning historical games with the Confederate flag in them is profoundly stupid, unless it's something like "The War of Northern Aggression 2: Lee's Revenge".

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Popular Thug Drink posted:

so you're upset about twitter slapfights
This is the Gamergate thread, everybody is upset about twitter slapfights.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

SedanChair posted:

How does that make her crazy?
Yeah, she might just be illiterate.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

icantfindaname posted:

Why are they different? Explain this to me
I don't know, what is the difference between government speech and the speech of private citizens?

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

icantfindaname posted:

So bigotry is OK if it's private speech?
No?

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
Violent movies are the reason for street murders.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Effectronica posted:

I'm fantasizing right now about loving your rear end with a machete until you die from massive internal bleeding and peritonitis. Nothib' wrong with that!
Creepy.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Effectronica posted:

Wrong fucker rear end bitch homoqueer, fantasies aren't related to reality in any way, and you're a crazy internet feminist-cultist reactionary anticapitalist if you disagree.
No, it's creepy.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

SedanChair posted:

It's a good thing none of this is real
Things don't have to be real to be creepy.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

i cant loving believe the hellthread refugee camp has been overrun with communistic free market-phobes

Lumpy the Cook posted:

The fact that the fastest moving thread in the world issues and global/local politics subforum is about a twitter flamewar says a lot.
It's breathed new life into something that was naturally dying down on its own. :master:

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

SedanChair posted:

And we've come full circle! This was the point being illustrated. "It's just a game" or "it's just An Internet" is not a meaningful thing to say when discussing messages.
I agree with you actually, I think creepy forums fanfic writers and creepy video games writers are both creepy.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
I personally think anyone giving money to internet personalities is a bit of an idiot.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Zeitgueist posted:

lol PTSD is not a real thing silly trigger warning sjws
It is a real thing, which is why it's bad that it's been turned into an unfunny joke by people who freak out about pomegranates.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
Uh, what?

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Effectronica posted:

People making obviously fake, or hard-to-believe, claims about a thing do not necessarily discredit it. Rachel Dolezal claimed to be black, but this did not discredit the idea of blackness. Why this happened for PTSD is due ultimately to the hatred most of America has for the concept of mental illness and the mentally unwell, and the lingering suspicion that those ideas are fake. "SJWs" had nothing to do with it.
Maybe I didn't pay enough attention to the Dolezal thing (because it's really, really stupid) but have people been using it to say that all black people are faking it?

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Venom Snake posted:

still tho lol if anything anita says actually deeply upsets you
Agreed.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

blackguy32 posted:

I have only recently started following the guy on twitter, as I said before, his latest stuff is about how Batman is a male power fantasy that tortures people throughout the games. I wouldn't really call that lunacy considering I agree with him on that point.
It's not exactly an original reading of the subtext though. Like it's pretty much the text at this point.

Before that he was throwing a shitfit about Lara Croft climbing a mountain unsafely because it glorified people taking risks. Like I can sort of see where he's coming from on the "lots of games are excessively violent" front (though I think that's a good thing) but he's pretty much a wet towel made flesh.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Rodatose posted:

This thread is lacking in Tweet Batches.
Don't worry, I have you covered.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Mormon Star Wars posted:

Does anyone remember "Anita Sarkeesian was trained to smile like a white person?" Hahaha
No, that sounds pretty funny, though. Which internet cesspool was that?

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Mormon Star Wars posted:

It was the dude who looks either like a chubby version of Kane from command and conquer or a chubby version of the warlock from contemporary christian musician Carman's hit music video "The Witch's Invitation" or whatev
Oh that dude. I think he split up with the guy who did all his youtube videos in a dressing gown, but they might be back together now for the money.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

Idk, the hellthread died, so it got moved.
I'm picturing a Lucius the Eternal-type situation here.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

420 Gank Mid posted:

where is the thread where people can make fun of idiots who still care about this?
It's this one.

blackguy32 posted:

It's a hot topic in a subject that people are interested in and passionate about.
Soon it will be a whole year.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

Luigi Thirty posted:

There is only one good post in the history of gamergate and it is this one
I am constantly amazed by gamergate's eldritch power to make people lose their minds.

spacedad come home

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
Fat, white nerds, i.e. both sides primary demographic.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

khwarezm posted:

Is gamergate based off of love of black people?
Love of internet drama. It's just you can't really admit that so you have to pretend this is the apocalyptic end war of video games.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

murphyslaw posted:

I mean sure if you want but where's the hilarious trainwreck making it worthwhile? If it's just a bunch of wheezing retards cataloguing her every move ala chris chan back in the day, it's just saddos stalking some weirdo. Which is sad and terrible. Don't touch the poop is what i'm saying, unless you want to smell bad with all that poop on your hands.
To be honest, Brianna Wu is so detached from reality that it's really more sad than funny, but I think making fun of public tweets about how she's a leading light of the gaming industry and an expert Unreal and iOS developer because of her $400,000 PS1 port is fair game.

Interacting directly with her is pretty stupid, though, and stalking or harassing her is obviously as wrong as what people did to chris-chan.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

SedanChair posted:

Censorship by the state is bad. "Censorship" consisting of correct-thinking people getting together and deciding that certain messages are inappropriate and should be suppressed, on the other hand, is wonderful.
Yeah, it was great when people got together and decided that sex, drugs and miscegenation were inappropriate in movies wasn't it.

Like, I agree with the point that people should be allowed to criticise what they want without being accused of trying to ruin things or censorship and private individuals actually attempting to censor things is not the same thing as the state doing so, but could you have chosen a more moralising, self-righteous way of expressing it.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

SedanChair posted:

But I said correct thinking. Those people's thought was incorrect, as you know.
I assume they thought they were thinking correctly.

e: And my point was your description came across as as self-righteous and moralising as they did, even though I happen to agree with you and not with them.

XMNN fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Jun 27, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid

BARONS CYBER SKULL posted:

This thread was way better when the crazy people screaming over each other in an attempt to score internet points were the ones on twitter, instead of being in here.
Yeah, there's way more actual serious argument about bullshit twitter drama in here than there ever was in the Hellthread.

My only horse in this race was making fun of people taking twitter drama seriously and bullshitting about video games and lawns, and now the dream is over. :qq:

• Locked thread