Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
RIP Hellthread, had a good run.

Dreylad posted:

They're not bad, they're mentally ill as Ralp said. You can't change a crazy person's mind.

Who?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

PupsOfWar posted:

So the Ethnics In Game Journalism thing is where we're supposed to be mad that some indy developer hosed some critic once, right?

Actually no. It's not the relationship between a "developer" and a "journalist," its the non-disclosure. Since being good friends with someone is obviously going to color your review of their product. That's really it, and one of the many good things that has come from gamergate, beyond the hilarity of people melting down about it, is that many sites now have disclosures as part of their review process.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

icantfindaname posted:

gas thread, ban OP, send all gamergaters to reeducation and reform through labor camps

Do you have a list of gamergaters and gamergate sympathizers?

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Terrible Opinions posted:

So if TCC is still open and it took the FBI calling lowtax to get a forum of Stalinists shut down, what makes a single thread in which autistic people get mad at a perceived threat to their coping mechanism so bad?

I don't know, but for some twitter is a lifestyle.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Effectronica posted:

Personally, I would not consider the expansion of the surveillance state to be a good thing.

Agreed. But I think you may be posting in the wrong thread, friend :)

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Shugojin posted:

I think they all just sit around on subreddits and circlejerk about whichever evil feminazi is keeping them down now and occasionally threaten to rape and murder Anita Sarkeesian.

Wow that sounds pretty bad. Care to post some examples of these broken people?

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Effectronica posted:

Surveillance is bad even when private individuals are doing it, because "the state" is not some sort of magical entity distinct from the people that constitute it. Furthermore, the belief that having relationships with other people is a corrupting influence is gigantically evil and your support of it is sickening.

Cute little strawman you've built there, but seriously don't do it again.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

icantfindaname posted:

This game about a big-boobed British-accented dominatrix wearing a skintight suit of her own heel-length hair, I don't see how this could be sexist. Nor the game with prostitute trading cards and sex scenes with them. Will the feminazi media never stop?

Seems like a cool game, whats the name of it? Also why does it matter that a sexist game as created, what should be done about it?

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

paranoid randroid posted:

i cant beleive youd completely gently caress up the Beautiful Little Strawman meme like this

Yea my bad, I forgot what the leading word was.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Effectronica posted:

That is exactly what you said. That it is necessary to disclose personal relationships because they are a corrupting influence on "objectivity". This in turn suggests that human relationships are inherently corrupt, conflates human contact with the buying of reviews that goes on overtly and covertly, and which everyone knew was going on before they decided to come down on the evil left-wingers, and concludes that trust is impossible. In short, you've never, ever thought about what slips from your lips unceasingly.

Nope. It is important for "neutral" parties, i.e. reviewers to disclose conflicts of interests. It's not a big deal and is extremely common in all media. I don't even get what is so controversial about it.

"Hey I'm reviewing my friends game, and I think it's great and you should buy it" vs "Hey this game is great and you should buy it." Do you really not see the difference?

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Helsing posted:

Kinda funny to see people complaining about "identity politics" when that is exactly what Gamergate seems to amount to; it's identity politics for people who somehow identify with "gaming culture".

Anytime I make the mistake of checking out something related to "gamergate" I find all these insufferable claims that gaming is a "culture" that is "under attack" or that gamers are an "oppressed minority". That kind of rhetoric is identity politics 101.

Gamer Culture is poo poo, and no one should give a gently caress about it and thankfully that isn't what gamergate is though it is convenient for cultural critics to boil everything down to identity politics and then condemn something based on their flawed conclusions.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Palpek posted:

But on the other hand that reviewer didn't review her game so the disclosure wasn't necessary. The whole thing stands on a giant strawman of 'what if' which was only needed so that a couple of toxic gaming communities could release their personal feelings of frustration onto something. These feelings happened to be mostly the fear of women which is a plague among lonely gamer nerds and Zoe was the perfect "vapid, evil, cheating ex" target. The rest is history.

Who?

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Dapper Dan posted:

To be honest, I don't give two shits about ethics in game journalism. Its like trying to take the NRA out of Guns and Ammo. It is not going to happen. Besides, if it doesn't stay terrible, how will I laugh at 'games journalists'?

Also, it was recently revealed that less than 3% of people use game reviews to make a purchase. It is all YouTube and word of mouth nowadays. Gaming sites are the walking dead at this point. There's no real point to reforming 'gaming journalism' when it is at the end of its run. I honestly take recommendations for buying stuff in the Games `forum over any reviewer. I can't ever recall buying something based off a game review except to see if it would melt my computer or not.

Yup, pretty much this.

Many Youtubers will disclose too. Something like "so and so company sent me this game so I'm going to review it for you." That's it. TB will even overtly refuse to review some games because of his politics, which is also a form of journalistic ethics. It's a minor thing but important to avoid the appearance of impropriety.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Obdicut posted:

Okay I think I'm out of energy for gamergate. It's not that complex a topic:

Our society is way sexist
Gaming, which is still very male dominated in terms of both the creative teams and the consumers, especially the vocal ones, is way sexist.
There are games that have some sexist elements and some feminist elements since life is complicated.

Therefore?

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Archer666 posted:

Neo-Hellthread is moving as fast as Hellthread did in its hey-day. Truly the second coming.

Tbh I don't really give a gently caress about whether video games are sexist or not. I enjoy them regardless.

He's right though. And I play a shitton of SF.

Yea that's what I don't get. Like yes, there exist some sexists videogames, there also exists some non-sexists video game. Games of both types can be good, or not good. But what does any of this have to do with gamergate?

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Dreylad posted:

I don't think anyone has been talking about a historical game.

An historical setting. Not a game that attempts to recreate history with magic and dragons and poo poo.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Dreylad posted:

that ignores all the insane pedophiles on whatever SS off-site exists, the pedophiles from badgames, etc. and the pedophiles who went to 4chan and then 8chan.

What do they have to do with gamergate?

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Dreylad posted:

what does 8chan have to do with gamergate?

I don't know, I think they discuss it there, and probably point out dumb poo poo similiar to this thread, and the ones before it.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Annointed posted:

Oh these guys are still around? At least I can enjoy their hategroup slowly turn into a condensed ball of spite as the world passes over them and leaves them behind.

Yea, it'll be funny when the patreon's dry up and then they'll have to find something else to make a scene about. I wonder if Anime will be next?

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
I mean sure there are a lot of sexualized streetfighter characters, but apparently one of the ones that isn't, actually is? :confused:

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Effectronica posted:

Why would having a wheelchair-bound character be bad in a fighting game? That sounds like a fun character to play. Similarly for a character with dwarfism. Seems like you do care that your female characters be sexy, even if you're not hosed-up enough to care about their precise measurements.

It wouldn't. You can have whatever character you want in a fighting game. But not all fighting games need to have all possible characters. Nor should there be any obligation to include black characters or whatever in any given game.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

hey somebody post something about echo chambers so i can get a bingo here

You need at least 4 to make a bingo, idiot.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

If you like that you would really get a kick out of the menkampf plugin http://menkampf.com/.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

free space, motherfucker

You don't understand bingo. Why do you defend identity politics?

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

many johnnys posted:

you're a crazy person

you use a plugin that replaces words, why?

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Popular Thug Drink posted:

so you're upset about twitter slapfights

I think people are only upset when twitter spills out into the real world. "Shirtgate" and "dongles" for example. That one professor that got fired for twitting in support of palistine, etc.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

many johnnys posted:

it's a funny plugin because the only people who go on about "SJW" stuff are weirdos and dummies, and also skeletons are inherently silly. whereas suggesting a plugin that replaces "men" with nazis and stuff I have no idea what you were even trying to do

Outrage culture is no laughing matter.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

nobody is obligated to provide a space for other people to explicitly describe why they are a bad person

Agreed. Just like no media is obligated to incorporate any particular characters. So why the complaints about "gamers" or sexism?

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

its because many video games are sexist

Yep. So?

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Everblight posted:

I followed a guy on twitter because he retweeted GamerGate stuff and I was laughing at how inept, blind and foolish the gamergaters were. I thought it was an elegant meta takedown of the whole stupid 'movement.'

Weeks later, I realized Oh. You were serious. :stonklol:

Not the sharpest tool in the shed are you? I imagine that describes most the people who are "against gamergate" Since they can't really define what gamergate is, BUT THEY TOTALLY DON'T CARE GUYS!!

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Bicyclops posted:

This is what people who use the phrase "outrage machine" actually believe.

They are just video games. It's fine. Can you separate fantasy from reality?

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Zeitgueist posted:

Jesus gently caress you kids are easy to draw into exposing yourselves.

Is it all coming together now?

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Fabricated posted:

I wanna know if bonv's post about tezzor being goatstein is true because I then demand the steampunk wedding pictures

I'm pretty sure Tezzor != Goatstein.

Also weren't those pictures posted and that's why he left? I remember seeing them in a TF2 thread many years ago.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Effectronica posted:

Is there any hellthread freakazoid that's willing to justify their existence, or can we just assume that all of youse guys ought to be killed out of hand?

Triggered! All right, that's bingo on three different cards so far.

Thank you for supporting the Knights of Columbus.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Dreylad posted:

there was a tumblr about it

It was also an incredibly racist tumblr since it was exclusively black dudes sitting normally becuase accused of "manspreading" which isn't even a thing.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Bicyclops posted:

Have you ever taken a train in your life?

I live in NYC, so yes.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

im ok with manspreading laws if they are also enforced against women with those huge purses that they put on the inside seat

Guess who was arrested for manspreading recently?

If you said male minority's riding the train late at night, you'd be correct.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

SedanChair posted:

Wow, she must be hysterical, she can't even tell the made-up death threats from the real and terrifying ones

None of them are real nor terrifying. hth.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

she's probably mentally deranged, and a feminist

She's definitely one but not the other.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

That's why they choked the black manto death for smoking. What if he would have sold those cigarettes to children?

http://m.snopes.com/2015/06/02/manspreading-arrest/

Other biased sites like breitbart went crazy about it.

But the snopes article correctly, though disingenuously suggests that since "manspreading" doesn't have a particular criminal code, they were obviously not arrested for manspreading. The violation is a standard "subway ticket" that you would get for passing between cars, sleeping, etc.

IT JUST SO HAPPENS that these two people had outstanding warrants and when they were ticketed for the violation of "manspreading" they had their IDs run and lo and behold, they had other outstanding warrants. so therefore no one should ever complain about this Just and Necessary policy, that just so happens to target males who happen to be darker then a paper bag.

Also apparently stop and frisk was cool and good too.

• Locked thread