Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Silver Alicorn posted:

yea I modded a vga port onto my dreamcast

the ps2 soooorta has vga out but not without a lot of work

why would you do this. why

theres vga boxes for dreamcast that you can still buy today and they're like $15. they also dont require you to potentially ruin your dreamcast

e: heres one for only $11 you weirdo http://www.aliexpress.com/item/VGA-Cable-HD-RCA-Adapter-Box-PAL-NTSC-for-SEGA-Dreamcast-DC/32304730761.html

Beeftweeter fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Jun 27, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Granbar posted:

THIS IS NOW THE OFFICIAL CRT THREAD

I'm getting a CRT tv for retro consoles. any suggestions guys??? gonna get one @ around 20"

if you can find a CRT HDTV (most only do 1080i though) then go for it, otherwise its not going to be worth it

in that case get a computer monitor instead and if the console you want to play doesnt have an official vga solution then get a converter box

if you dont want to do that then just get a second-hand plasma they're better

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
fw900

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

Beeftweeter posted:

why would you do this. why

theres vga boxes for dreamcast that you can still buy today and they're like $15. they also dont require you to potentially ruin your dreamcast

e: heres one for only $11 you weirdo http://www.aliexpress.com/item/VGA-Cable-HD-RCA-Adapter-Box-PAL-NTSC-for-SEGA-Dreamcast-DC/32304730761.html

I had one of the VGA boxes before and it was a piece of poo poo.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Phoenixan posted:

did they knock down a wall to get it inside?

it took 4 people to get it inside and up the stairs but they were wide enough.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

where's the pic of that guy who flush-mounted a giant rear projection screen in his entertainment room & the back sticks out into his entryway

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

this one

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

lmao

Triglav
Jun 2, 2007

IT IS HARAAM TO SEND SMILEY FACES THROUGH THE INTERNET
gonna open that door fully

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

just imagine all that work & future repair cost for something that was obsolete almost the moment it was made

PleasureKevin
Jan 2, 2011

the technology board on 4chan argues about glossy vs. matte and of course they, being wrong, support matte overwhelmingly

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
Theres no upgrade to a crt tho?? Stop pestering your friend to make impossible purchases, OP

Izumi Konata
May 4, 2012

by Ralp
the healthy dose of radiation helps the body better assimilate vitamin d, the color is richer, and the hyperbolic projection angle better matches the contour of the human eye.

if anything, there has been a move to discredit crt monitors as dangerous, expensive, and inferior. turns out, cathode rayguns can be made with a few salvaged components from microwave ovens and old television sets, and hooked up to a backpack mounted generator to catalyze the ectoplasmic sheath on extradimentional beings for the purpose of extraction to replenish fuel cells for plasma weaponry.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

eschaton posted:

I tried to use an inexpensive LCD but I can't find one that will scale right (doubling or tripling only, plus centering) and have been looking into maybe getting a VGA-to-HDMI adaptor contract-designed/mfrd that can do the scaling right for a wide range of frequencies

have your graphics card do the scaling

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

I have a matte screen :smugmrgw:

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

i have a matte

in front of my apartmentte

also one inside that is usually satte on by the catte

Izumi Konata
May 4, 2012

by Ralp
i have a datte in a file formatte that is fatte. yet fatte is so cruele... its grotesquely enourmous size makes it quite immobile.

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

ownage

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

lomarf

at least it's kind-of HD haha not even 1080p... 1080i max

that's a fuckin RCA D52W20

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
i is fine if its a native i display tbh

Lime
Jul 20, 2004

Beeftweeter posted:

if you can find a CRT HDTV (most only do 1080i though) then go for it, otherwise its not going to be worth it

aren't all HDTVs going to be just upscaling your retro 240p signals, adding a few frames of latency and most likely subtly mangling them

i mean at that point just save an enormous amount of space and buy a dedicated upscaler, plus you can like add scanlines and poo poo

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

If you're going to go crt for your retro gaming you should go whole hog like this guy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkTmtoAUdEI

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
a decent hd crt will still be changing its scan rate rather than upscale the picture....or at worst double/quadruple the lines which is not a hi latency operation. i think they just switch modes though

Yaos
Feb 22, 2003

She is a cat of significant gravy.
I'd like to see him get a 28 inch 4K 144hz Freesync CRT monitor.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

eschaton posted:

also be sure to get one that handles the widest possible range of freqs

I still have a Sony CPD-G400 because it's crystal clear with perfect color even at 1600×1200 and it can also do all the old computer resolutions for my collection.

I tried to use an inexpensive LCD but I can't find one that will scale right (doubling or tripling only, plus centering) and have been looking into maybe getting a VGA-to-HDMI adaptor contract-designed/mfrd that can do the scaling right for a wide range of frequencies

you're going to want an xrgb-3 or a frame meister. Not sure how well the frame meister handles weird refresh rates though (last time I remember, you'd still need an lcd that supported those odd ones as it wasn't going to convert them, but i haven't kept up with the firmware)

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

Izumi Konata posted:

the healthy dose of radiation helps the body better assimilate vitamin d, the color is richer, and the hyperbolic projection angle better matches the contour of the human eye.

if anything, there has been a move to discredit crt monitors as dangerous, expensive, and inferior. turns out, cathode rayguns can be made with a few salvaged components from microwave ovens and old television sets, and hooked up to a backpack mounted generator to catalyze the ectoplasmic sheath on extradimentional beings for the purpose of extraction to replenish fuel cells for plasma weaponry.

Oh absolutely same

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Panty Saluter posted:

i think they just switch modes though

click-tock

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
i like to pronounce CRT as "kurt"

adds a little bit of a personal touch w/ a hint of harmless eccentricity if your audience is young enough to not know how CRT is pronounced in casual parlance and also provides a nonzero chance of such a youngster perpetuating said pronunciation

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER
refuses to "upgrade"

HorseLord
Aug 26, 2014
shadowhawk do you still pay money to live with all the other nerds in that bay area "hacker house" with a substitute mom that does your laundry and cooks for you

url
Apr 23, 2007

internet gnuru

Sudo Echo posted:

trinitron or go the gently caress home

pfffft, Mitsubishi Diamond Pro 2060u or gtfo

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

HorseLord posted:

shadowhawk do you still pay money to live with all the other nerds in that bay area "hacker house" with a substitute mom that does your laundry and cooks for you
no I rent a large home in mountain view and rerent 4 private bedrooms and charge them net more than I pay in rent

also there was never a "substitute mom" at the hacker home who did laundry or cooked food though ironically my girlfriend ("your mom") sometimes does that for me now

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Migishu posted:

also, degauss that poo poo

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

ShadowHawk posted:

though ironically my girlfriend ("a realdoll") sometimes does that for me now

Beeftweeter
Jun 28, 2005

OFFICIAL #1 GNOME FAN

Lime posted:

aren't all HDTVs going to be just upscaling your retro 240p signals, adding a few frames of latency and most likely subtly mangling them

i mean at that point just save an enormous amount of space and buy a dedicated upscaler, plus you can like add scanlines and poo poo

lcd and plasma yes, but

Panty Saluter posted:

a decent hd crt will still be changing its scan rate rather than upscale the picture....or at worst double/quadruple the lines which is not a hi latency operation. i think they just switch modes though

the reason i recommended a plasma over a lcd tv though is because its not going to be 600 lbs and will have broadly similar picture quality to a crt if you get a good one. you do have to slightly worry about burn-in with older models though, but anecdotally i haven't had a problem with it on my panasonic vt60 after i think about 3 years of watching lots of 4:3/1.375:1/1.85:1/2.39:1 etc. content and playing old virtual console games on wii u

also the vt60 has a pretty great scaler. basically get a vt60

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
doesn't plasma lose something like half its brightness inside of three years

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
the trick with plasma is to actually calibrate it since factory settings are way too bright amongst other problems

like panasonic made great plasmas but the stock settings made it look like there was a really lovely median filter on everything (there kind of is) and the brightness/contrast are set so anything vaguely resembling a gradient is squashed near flat

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

the part on plasma i dont like is i've seen more than a few and they all have this wierd shimmering look to things. like colors are very barely noticelby kind of sparkling. idk. it's not good

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

EMILY BLUNTS posted:

the part on plasma i dont like is i've seen more than a few and they all have this wierd shimmering look to things. like colors are very barely noticelby kind of sparkling. idk. it's not good

good ones don't, look at a dece pioneer or panasonic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EMILY BLUNTS
Jan 1, 2005

weird. this was a pana. I forget the model.

• Locked thread