Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
I don't think I've watched anything but the assembly cut ever since it was made available.
Personally I've always enjoyed Alien3 and for a long time it was my favourite of the series mostly because I would have been about 10 or 11 when it got released, in fact I distinctly remember being excited about seeing footage from it on a TV show called "Movies Movies Movies"

When we finally got it on VHS it had a trailer for Alien War on it, this was a total reality experience in London that would involve being lead through a complex by a marine only to be attacked by xenomorph's my god did I want to go to that I never got chance though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??

Neo Rasa posted:

There's a horrible Italian ripoff of Alien called Alien 2: ON EARTH that came out before Aliens. Anyways, it's hilariously bad in all ways except the awesome soundtrack but what I love about it is that, in predating Aliens, what is rips off is the eggs and chestbursting, that's it. An alien doesn't burst out of you, rather, an egg hatches and gets you and then in the near future you just explode. The eggs are coming from an alien queen and a mad scientist that chill out in a warehouse on earth and just ship eggs wherever. Don't worry, warehouse basements look like a warehouse basement someone spent ten minutes trying to make like the Nostromo and the derelict ship at the same time, so it looks like a basement with a grated floor and big "ribs" on the sides. The alien itself is a stationary gigantic nose with an eyeball on top of it. It was released outside of Italy under the name Contamination and Alien Contamination. Don't delay my friends:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkDje147gwk

The sick soundtrack:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RxDGSHiJ90s

Hey man contamination rules!

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??

Bagpuss_UK posted:

I went through Alien War as a kid ( :smug: ) and it was goddamn amazing and terrifying. The props and sets were fantastic, especially the marine costumes and guns that made all the right noises.

The highlights that I can remember:
- being led through a patch of eggs, and 1 of them slowly opening as you walked past
- being herded into an elevator, then just as the doors shut an alien lunges in and pulls one of the party out
- at the very end, you are running madly along a corridor with the marines yelling and shooting behind you, then you bust through some double doors and find yourself outside the attraction in the middle of a shopping centre with loads of shoppers staring at you

I'm still amazed that they never brought it back.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRiOBVjxLJY

They actually did, in Scotland and Blackpool but it wasn't licensed and it closed in 2013.

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??

LORD OF BUTT posted:

Am I really gonna be the first person to point out that Alien 2: On Earth and Contamination are completely different movies?

(Contamination is the much more enjoyable film imo, though Alien 2 has a cult following too.)

Yeah contamination had the subtitle of "Alien on earth" I believe.

Still I'm sure it was exploited in advertising.

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
Pretty sure I had that version on my Game Gear, I barely got past the first few levels but did enjoy the little animation of all the chestbursters that would play when you failed a level.

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??

GoldStandardConure posted:

Hudson sir. He's Hicks.

Best possible response

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??

Xenomrph posted:

Just a reminder that tomorrow is Alien Day, please be sure to watch an Alien movie in observance.

I'm in a bind on this one as a local "museum" is doing an outdoor showing of ALIEN next month.

Whilst im here are there any good Alien games on the ps1 I aquired one a few weeks back.

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??

OptimusShr posted:

Probably just Alien Trilogy. There is a game based on Alien Resurrection but I doubt it would be any good.

Ahhh i had the pc version of that when i was younger i could never get into it

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??

Xenomrph posted:

There's only two, there's Alien Trilogy, and Alien Resurrection. They're both early console FPS games from before Halo really nailed dual-thumb stick FPS controls on consoles, so they're a little clunky but not unplayable. They're pretty neat and worth playing if you can find them for fairly cheap. Resurrection actually had a good number of (scripted) scary bits, and has you play as 4 different characters, each with mildly different abilities and weapons.

It even has a gameplay mechanic where you can be facehugged, and unlike in most Alien games where it's an instant game over, you have an on screen timer to find an auto-doc and remove the Alien embryo. :v:

That actually sounds pretty rad I might invest it's only a few quid on eBay

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??

hemale in pain posted:

I went to see Aliens in the cinema a couple of years ago. It was the directors cut and it was the first time when I noticed it does drag in places compared to the normal version but the alien queen was amazing on such a large screen. You do also become aware that you know the movie far too well and it's no longer very exciting which is a bit of a horrible realization because I love aliens.

I needed to pee half way through and some dude in the aisle refused to move his legs. I guess he was offended by me blocking his view for 2 seconds. I don't think he appreciated how much I needed to pee, I'd been holding it for like 30 minutes, so I had to push through his legs until he moved. When I came back he still wouldn't move his legs so I just stepped on him to get past.

He never said anything :shrug: it was really weird.

A couple of months ago I had to miss a double bill of Alien/Aliens because of a job interview. I got the job but still regret missing alien in the cinema :(

Although these days I stick to the aisle seat of the front row I have had a similar situation, in my case it got more embarrassing as I turned my rear end to the guy as I tried to squeeze past, lost my footing and sat on the dudes lap.

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??
Just got back from an early screening and it's a difficult one, I'm not much of a reviewer but I will say this movie is worth seeing for Fassbender alone, it seemed to move at a breakneck speed to a point that when the final shot came on I thought it was only halfway through and was thinking "awwww yeah here we go" them BAM "credits".

I think I need to see it a few more times to fully digest it....

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??

Halloween Jack posted:

I had an idea last night as I was falling asleep: what if they remade one of the many ripoffs of Alien as an Alien movie? Like, remake Carnosaur but change the dinosaurs to actual xenos and change the name of the Eunice Corporation to Weyland-Yutani. It would make for a logical sequel to Covenant.

Do this but with Contamination............Keep the original score.

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??

keep punching joe posted:

Is there a directors cut that doesn't have the colonist scenes. The old VHS copy I taped off TV in the 90s had the autocannons and some extra Ripley scenes at the start, but I don't think I've seen Newts parents.

I’m pretty sure there was a tv exit that cut out some other stuff so padded it out with those scenes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz2k21
Sep 1, 2006

MEGALA---WHO??!!??

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

The official Predator series, in general, has an insanely bad track record - especially when compared against Alien/AVP.

Like, I’d rather watch fuckin’ Guyver: Dark Hero or some poo poo.

Hey! Guyver:Dark Hero is a fun movie when taken on its own merits (low budget straight to video martial arts monster movie)