Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Stare-Out posted:

I think it's recognizable as a Fincher movie, some scenes more than others. I mean he did Seven three years later and it's very definitely a Fincher style movie. He has a special effects background so all the practical effects in Alien 3 are top-notch (the rod puppet is great too, just the compositioning kinda stinks) and even though he had two (really good) DPs during the shoot, the movie has a very Fincher look to it. Underlit, stark and contrasty shots, low angles.

I actually watched the Assembly Cut yesterday because of this thread, and honestly the part of it that makes it a Fincher movie the most is that it has incredible sound design.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Basebf555 posted:

Is he sick or something? I think the Prometheus sequel is his next project, or at least the one after that. He works fast these days.

Paradise Lost starts shooting in January.

Edit: And no, he's not sick (at least not that anyone knows of) but he's 77 and has been working essentially non-stop ever since his brother jumped off a bridge.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Immortan posted:

I just watched Alien Resurrection again for the first time in over a decade and holy :dogbutton: its bad. Even the Predalien in AVPR isn't as ridiculous as the Newborn.

Even the Newborn isn't as ridiculous as Sigourney Weaver finally getting her wish to have a sex scene with the Alien.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

blackguy32 posted:

Speaking of continuity, what is everyone's opinion on the whole Blomkamp bringing Ripley and Hicks back? Part of me wants to give it a chance to see if anything interesting will be done with it. The other half of me thinks its fan service bullshit because people didn't get the Alien 3 movie they wanted.

I generally like Blomkamp's stuff but the whole thing reeks of him just wanting to play with his toys.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

david_a posted:

Conspiracy theory: Ridley added "Alien" to the title of Prometheus 2 specifically to torpedo Blomkamp's movie.

I guarantee you that "Alien" was appended to Prometheus 2 because Fox desperately wants franchises and so it could have an easier job marketing the thing.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Oh, gently caress. John Logan is rewriting Paradise Lost. :suicide:

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Immortan posted:

He's been nominated for an Academy Award three times so...

He was rewritten almost completely by Bill Nicholson on Gladiator, only retaining a credit because some of the dialogue he wrote for Commodus remained; Michael Mann did an uncredited top-to-bottom rewrite of The Aviator; and I have no idea how he got a nomination for Hugo because that movie's strength is in its visuals.

The writer of Star Trek: Nemesis is not someone I'm particularly interested in penning the sequel to Prometheus.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Terrorist Fistbump posted:

Rapace is still listed in the cast on IMDB.

I could list myself in the cast on IMDb, for what that's worth.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

NarkyBark posted:

John Logan did revisions on it.

A case can be made for this to be the worst assembly of words in the English language.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

Upon rewatching Prometheus, it's even harder to see why someone wouldn't like it.

People wanted Alien 0.5 and got pissed when Ridley Scott didn't give it to them.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Also, Krabbé's first name is not Jerome.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Going on fifteen years now.

Jesus, GTA3 is fifteen years old this year. gently caress me, I'm getting old.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

If memory serves, the director's cut on the Blu-ray has more of a blue tint while the theatrical cut looks a bit better. Which is fine with me, since outside of the turret sequence the theatrical is so much tighter. :can:

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

I can see how the top Blu-ray shot might feel a little blue but that bottom capture looks a million times better than the DVD. There's actual contrast, for one.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

I'm not really going to criticize Cameron and Biddle for some color usage that didn't become a meme until 25 years later.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

IM_DA_DECIDER posted:

Their use of colour was fine 25 years ago, but they made is as obnoxiously orange and teal as possible in the blue-ray release.

Hm, a blue-lit environment that's being illuminated by a loving flamethrower.

No reason to imagine why blue and orange would be the primary colors in the shot.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

She came back because Jeunet let her have her sex scene with the Alien.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

from what I understand it's also basically just a tweaked version of his own score for The Wrath of Khan, but I like Aliens more than that movie so whatever

Much of it directly lifts from his work on Wrath of Khan and The Search for Spock, and those scores in and of themselves lift heavily from Horner's Battle Beyond the Stars score.

The only composer who plagiarized himself more was Leonard Rosenman.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

God, I still need to see that. In our last apartment, we lived across the street from a Family Video and there was a Redbox at the gas station around the corner, so it was easy to rent new releases. Ever since we bought our house last year (and canceled cable last month, so no On Demand), the closest video store is 20 minutes away and the nearest Redbox is out in the boonies.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Wasn't there a draft that had Freddy and Jason throwing down in hell at the very end, and suddenly Pinhead appears as the referee?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

oldpainless posted:

Ridley has enough bad movies on his resume that he shouldn't just be handed a blank check to do whatever he wants despite his feelings.

Case in point: Prometheus.

:can:

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

zVxTeflon posted:

For how great Weaver is in them she really has no clue what makes a good alien movie.

Tends to happen. Look at what happened to the Star Trek movies after Stewart and Spiner got creative control.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Mike N Eich posted:

It looks like a soft reboot of Alien, which is weird and disappointing because I would have been down for the Continuing Journey of Noomi Rapace and Michael Fassbender's Head

I feel like Ridley Scott can't win.

Prometheus comes out: "Where are the xenomorphs?! Why are we watching all of this pointless bullshit?"

Alien Covenant trailer drops: "Goddammit, xenomorphs again? C'mon, do something new, I wanted a follow-up from Prometheus!"

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Basebf555 posted:

It may be more about the length of time he's being told he has to wait. If Scott is putting the word out to the studio that he wants to keep going with more after Covenant, Blomkamp may be left in limbo with no clear timeframe for when he can expect to make his movie.

It's widely expected that Scott is going to move straight into working on a Covenant sequel after post wraps on Blade Runner 2049, since his adaptation of The Prisoner seems to have stalled.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

The only thing that makes me wary is them finding yet another derelict.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Xenomrph posted:

I'm pretty sure that's Shaw/David's Juggernaut from the end of Prometheus.

I totally loving forgot about that.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Didn't SEGA or Gearbox get sued over false advertisement re: Colonial Marines?

Both did. Eventually Sega paid up but Gearbox was dropped from the suit, I believe.

Dinosaurs! posted:

Maybe it's been debunked, but right after the game came out I remember Sega accusing Gearbox of syphoning funds away from Colonial Marines to boost development of Borderlands 2.

No, this definitely happened. Gearbox kept reporting milestone progress on Colonial Marines, so Sega was still paying the full monthly development fee. Then Sega found out that not only had Gearbox been taking the Aliens money and financing Borderlands 2 with it, but Gearbox had also outsourced the Aliens development to a junk developer that made F.E.A.R. expansion packs, so Sega stopped paying and eventually tried to recover some of the money it had paid, which forced Gearbox to go through a significant round of layoffs.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Pitchford was always thought of as an rear end in a top hat, Borderlands notwithstanding.

Yeah, him constantly running his mouth while Gearbox basically never hit a release date didn't exactly make him a lot of friends in the industry. Even the first Borderlands was over a year late (and then there was the whole "oh, yeah, we stole art from this guy's short film" thing).

Then there was the Duke Nukem Forever disaster...

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

The only less liked guy in gaming is probably Brad Wardell, Denis Dyack or (briefly) that goddamn idiot Curt Schilling.

Bobby Kotick has to be on that list.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

He always seemed more like a proxy for Activision and the hate for him was not really based on anything he said.

Not necessarily what he said, but he was pretty much directly responsible for Activision's "annualization" strategy that resulted in its studios becoming Call of Duty / Tony Hawk / Guitar Hero factories.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Groovelord Neato posted:

why did gearbox have to siphon off funds to develop borderlands 2? borderlands 1 was far more successful than it had any right to be.

Borderlands 1 ran a year behind schedule and significantly over budget, Duke Nukem Forever (and the Duke Nukem IP in general) cost a ton to acquire and a ton to finish (and then it sold like a wet fart) and they ran deficits on the Brothers in Arms games. Financially speaking they've got a long history of robbing Peter to pay Paul.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Horrible Taste posted:

EOMHEMEAKT on instagram leads to this alternate, more spoilery version:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BScf4tFhV49/

Jesus. Something supremely hosed-up happened to Shaw.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

AlternateAccount posted:

Holy poo poo, everything about that is SO BAD. Beyond the content, the direction is loving abysmal.

Between Mortal Kombat and Event Horizon, Paul W.S. Anderson seemed set to have a career of making enjoyable schlock, and then ... woof.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

CelticPredator posted:

People don't like how the Alien is made, it seems.

I loving love it though.

The io9 review spent like 900 words complaining about that and little else. Seems like the negative reviews are boiling down to, "It wasn't exactly what I was expecting in my head, therefore it sucks" -- similar to people still complaining about Newt and Hicks in Alien3, or people whining about how Prometheus wasn't the Alien 0.5 they imagined. So much missing the forest for the trees.

Just another reminder of why I shouldn't read io9.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Xenomrph posted:

I haven't read the i09 review in question, but your complaint seems like it doesn't allow for any negative reviews whatsoever. If people didn't like the way Covenant's (or Prometheus's) plot played out, is that not a valid complaint?

There's a difference between "It sucks because the acting is stiff / the script is dull / the pacing is off" and "It sucks because it didn't exactly fit my preconceived notions going in."

Like, I don't hate Les Miserables because it makes significant changes from the stage version, I hate it because Russell Crowe is a terrible singer and Tom Hooper is an unbelievably awful director.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Neo Rasa posted:

Alien to Aliens, Aliens to Alien 3, Alien 3 to Alien: Resurrection, a sequences renowned for plausible through lines from film to film.

Yeah, I forget who it was, but someone earlier said that it's like Ripley's relationship with the Alien is like Van Helsing and Dracula, which is so incredibly true. Such a closed universe, which is why I love what Scott did with Prometheus.

And, yeah, seriously -- Alien is pure body horror, Aliens is sci-fi action, Alien3 is Gothic drama / horror and Resurrection is ... a bizarre first draft of Firefly that happens to feature a penis monster.

Black Bones posted:

It does not surprise me that i09 et al would be upset that Ridley Scott isn't concerned with canon.

Just wait until Annalee Newitz from Ars Technica (she actually founded io9) posts her review. She slips in a subtle bash on Prometheus into almost every single movie review she writes, so this will be her opportunity to rip Scott to shreds and then some.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Laserface posted:

Morning after memory but here goes

SPOILERS FOR THE END OF THE FILM DONT HOVER OVER THIS

Daniels and Tennessee and David masquerading as Walter and another guy who was half face hugged get back aboard the covenant. There is an alarm raised by Mother who finds an unidentified life form on the ship - half face hugged guy is dead in the med bay. With the help of DaWalt, Daniels and Tennessee go to alert the remaining crew who are having some me-time in the shower together and don't hear the alarm and are promptly killed by the alien.

Daniels and Tennessee find them dead. They are working with DaWalt who is on the control deck to track it, who is playing the game with them but not outright stacking the deck against them.

They decide to lure it to the cargo hold and trap it in a truck cabin and then blast it into space. They mostly succeed however the restraints on the truck get jammed and the alien escapes out and is making its way towards Daniels. Tennessee frees up the restraint by releasing a second truck from behind the first which goes on to snooker the first one along.

Daniels faces off with the alien and coaxes it to pounce right as she dives out of the way of a large dozer-lifter thing and the alien is impaled and falls out to space.

With the alien dead Daniels and Tennessee go to cryosleep. As DaWalt is putting Daniels to sleep she asks if he will help her build the log cabin that James Francos character had promised her. He gives her a look like "err what" and she then realises it is not Walter but David, the evil robot. It's too late and she is put to sleep.

David vomits up two face hugger embryos and stores them in cryogenic chambers to the tune of the Wagner piece from the start of the film - entrance of the gods into Valhalla.

Assuming this is real, holy poo poo. :fap:

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

CelticPredator posted:

I believe the idea was, it was an invitation to evolve and be able to one day join them, but the humans, their creations, disgusted them and killed one of them on earth (Jesus) and thus this made them want to exterminate them all.

But something went wrong and the black goo got it and poo poo just didn't pan out that way.

Half of this is stuff said on the side not so much in the film itself, so take it however you want.

Wasn't that some leftover stuff from Spaihts' original (terrible) script, where Jesus was an Engineer?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Bugblatter posted:

There were also some other elements from Spaihts script that were kept in Lindelof's but never filmed. The biggest being David visiting Weyland in his dreams to update him on the mission's progress.

I'm almost positive this is in Prometheus. We don't actually see Weyland's dreams but David definitely checks in on him, and Vickers confronts him and demands to know what he said, and he replies, "Try harder."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

MacheteZombie posted:

It's supposed to cut down on piracy iirc

This is precisely the reason. The studios discovered that movies were being sold at the street markets within days of their North American release, particularly in eastern Europe and China, and so they flipped their release schedules around. The US is rather frequently among the last to get a release.