Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

The_Rob posted:

Also Death Proof is way better than planet terror.

Facts. I actually like Planet Terror more because of my love of the various films it takes from but Death Proof is a straight up superior film to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Immortan posted:

Blomkamp is withholding the subtitle of Alien 5 because it's supposedly a major spoiler. It's probably going to involve time travel fuckery or some such nonsense.

Alien 5: Hicks Dies Again

I'm not sure I understand this though honestly, like is the title of the movie "And then Ripley puts in the access code in time but then it turns out one of the eggs hatched just before they..."

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

ruddiger posted:

He should remake Alienator.

I love you for reminding me of this wonderful film. :3:

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Hakkesshu posted:

Doesn't that game has some weird rear end-backwards stealth mechanics where it's actually better for you to run and walk than to crouch, and hiding is entirely pointless despite being like the main mechanic of the game? Hearing about that stuff always kept me from playing it.

This isn't true actually. Running is very loud in Isolation and immediately alerts everything in an area to your presence and if the Alien is around it's then immediately on your tail. Hiding is actually not the main mechanic of the game either, but rather a short term solution. Unlike Splinter Cell or MGS you can't stay in one place until folks are no longer alert because there's always something (or someone) onto you at some point. You can absolutely hide to avoid the Alien though and it will pass you by, but while the Alien may "leave" an area it's never totally "gone" in terms of perceiving where you are due to how it's tethered to the player. So staying in one place too long is bad.

A nice touch though is the way it seems to be scripted to dramatically kill other survivors near you if you find a hiding place near them. Like I've had plenty of instances where I get spotted by survivors, try to distract them, end up hiding under a desk, and then out of nowhere a dead survivor's head slams down right in front of my field of view as you see a glimpse of the Alien walking off. It's great.

It's is actually something I love about the game's stealth. To compare it to Phantom Pain, it's like the entire game is on high combat/whatever alert at all times, except you still have to not be seen. So instead of it being a matter of getting some distance and hiding, it's a matter of keeping things occupied and distracted while you're in kind of a constant retreat. It's amazing and evokes lots of tense moments from the film series where you know you have seconds to interact with a computer to get a code or whatever and get back out of site or out of the room.

The one failure in the game to me is the medical section people often complain about. This is because it's the first point in the game where the Alien is straight up after you but you can't just leave because you need to find/do some objectives there, but it's early enough in the game that you don't have your full arsenal of tools and items that can be used to distract other survivors/lure enemies around/etc., so you have to be much more careful in it than you would in the rest of the game.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Oct 5, 2015

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

It still feels weird living in a world where between Aliens: Colonial Marines by Gearbox, Alien: Isolation by Creative Aseembly, and Aliens RPG by Obsidian, Sega made the choices they did regarding funding and release dates.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

In a world where Gearbox didn't intentionally gently caress it over Aliens: Colonial Marines by Gearbox would easily be the best-selling of those three.

I think they would have hosed it up either way, I mean for squad based FPS this is the dev that went from Road to Hill 30 to Earned in Blood to Hell's Highway. Their single player more structured campaign FPS are Opposing Force (great but from sixteen years ago) and Duke Nukem Forever ( :laffo: ).

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Nevermind.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Oct 7, 2015

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Immortan posted:

I wasn't aware that Alien 3's visual effects were nominated for an Academy Award until today. :negative:

I don't know, I mean I saw Alien 3 in theaters and generally thought it looked amazing, with just some infamous shots of the puppet standing out. 1992 was the year that off the top of my head stuff like Freejack, Bad Channels, Split Second, Seed People and Wicked City came out.

Several great looking movies came out as well but I figure if I was seeing posters, ads, commercials, etc. for those other movies rather than them being released into immediate obscurity then it's not like Alien 3's looks were below the expected standard. Terminator 2 was in 1991 but it's seriously difficult to describe the scope of how mindblowing that movie's effects are.

I think it definitely deserved the nomination.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 07:47 on Oct 7, 2015

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Hakkesshu posted:

Now dig up the ones from the Aliens arcade game, those designs are loving nuts

That game owns. I don't have sprites of it handy but IIRC the first flying xenomorph of which we'd see many in later media was in Konami's Super Contra a couple of years before a couple pop up in their Aliens arcade game:

The first two Contra games always had some Geiger influence in them but in the arcade version of Super Contra they just straight up have aliens running around as regular enemiesin the last levels and I think they even sampled the death sounds for them from Aliens. IIRC one of the same samples pops up in the official Aliens arcade game.

This guy pops up again in Contra III: The Alien Wars as you fight a few of the series previous bosses before the final confrontation, but they made him less bio-mechanical looking and got rid of the extending jaw and sounds:

I need to rip or at least put shots from the Aliens arcade game in this thread some time because I don't see them anywhere and they're rad as hell.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Oct 8, 2015

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Xenomrph posted:

The AvPR design is the same as the AvP design (which is the same as the Resurrection design), just with a new head.

The way it's shot and lit in the movie itself makes it look goofier than it actually is, which is kind of unfortunate because it's a pretty neat design and it was a cool change to see them bring the ridged head design back out of retirement.

Speaking of how Aliens are shot in AvPR, someone posted a comparison showing that on the home releases of the movie the lighting is totally different? Was that real? Any pics?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Lurdiak posted:

I've read that that's a myth and the real truth is that they were just surprised by the amount of blood and the force of the spray, which was really over the top. They knew something was going to burst out.

The burst part still looks great today, it's just those close ups of the little fucker that don't hold up, in my opinion. Having said that, it's still an amazing scene.

This is correct, on the Quadrilogy features they're specific about how they of course knew it was going to pop out of his chest, but the amount of blood and it getting onto them wasn't known until it happened. Just as good. :D

One thing they do mention that I find more interesting is that the Nostromo set was extensive at the time when compared to the recycled hallways used in Alien's infinite imitators (and Alien Resurrection). Scott mentions this being done so that the actors would have to walk down a few hallways for a minute or two before reaching whatever part they were going to have to act in which would sort of get them "in character" because in real life they'd be flustered from having to go through a maze for a few minutes every time.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

It totally is, even James Cameron etc. say outright that it is on the various commentaries. I found that interesting because in all the making of stuff for the sequels they talk about any chestbursting or eggs in terms of "can we make this look as good as it does in Alien 1." But IIRC alien the only one where the egg has straight up actual cow guts and viscera in it along with someone manually moving it around with their hand (was it Scott himself? I forget) which makes a huge difference.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

What are your thoughts on Prometheus?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Is Labyrinth the one that ends with the Aliens trying to get the main character to impregnate his mom's corpse?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Baronjutter posted:

Yep, hosed up. I also didn't quite get the ending or why the scientist was bad.

It's the Aliens franchise so anyone in a suit or uniform of any kind is the devil.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Earth Hive and the two stories that connect to it also waver on how smart the aliens are, going for a middle ground of a regular one being at the level of a smart donesticated dog and a queen being significantly smarter than a human (but how this is tested and known is left vague). However in Earth Hive there are staright up humans that ally with the aliens by kidnapping and bringing people to their hives so the aliens don't mess with them.

But still this is also the set of stories where it turns out there's a gigantic QUEEN queen alien that is in constant telepathic comminication with all aliens that exist across multiple star systems at all times so...

In the Aliens commentary James Cameron also says that they cut the power not by causing damage to cables but by figuring out how to turn it off.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Oct 14, 2015

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

zVxTeflon posted:

Elysium was a dumpster fire and his concept art for it kinda blew but honestly noone else of worth is going to touch this franchise anytime soon so might as well just let him do it. Just hire someone else to do a last minute edit and take out whatever political poo poo he puts in.

Alien: A franchise completely devoid of political satire.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

I did think Chappie got worse as it went on and is the weakest of his movies. It just felt like it passed the point where Chappie or one of the other characters would stop putting up with Ninja's bullshit. Like a sitcom where everything resets to the status quo after each episode except there was still a second half of the movie to go. Still really cool like his other works, I like them all a lot. :)

Also whether Prometheus 2 is huge or bombs I seriously doubt Blomkamp's Alien is totally dead. They just want to (understandably) not have two separate Alien flicks coming out or being made close together when each will easily do $$$ and warrant their own share of marketing and stuff.

Tenzarin posted:

Hang on let me get my space flute out.

I'm sorry overt references to the mythology we built up around Orpheus, titans, Ymir, etc. were too much for you. Someone plays a flute to summon forth a visage of the world and knowledge and all that, a totally bizarre concept humanity has never thought of before, so weird.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 18:32 on Nov 3, 2015

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Eventually after Ridley Scott passes on and the franchise dies down a bit again Fox will drop a blu-ray set with the four Alien flicks and these Prometheii in one package and make it so. Like Alien 3 (though of course thanks to it being available in its substantially different work print) a new appreciation will be found for it. You'll see people here who spent pages and pages talking about how "lol why didn't she just run sideways to avoid the space ship so stupid" praising its Lovecraftian tone and special effects prowess. Fifeld werewolf/gayness will be come absolute canon like how it took the internet decades to "figure out" Nightmare on Elm Street 2: Freddy's Revenge, etc.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

This is exactly what happened to me, it really is quite a trick for a movie to pull off.

Re: Halloween - Carpenter really didn't have much interest in making a sequel at all, but they somehow($$$) convinced him to write and produce Halloween II. So when it came for Halloween III Carpenter really was not into the idea of making more movies with the Michael character, so attempting to transition into an anthology format seemed like the best way to go. I guess he thought the name Halloween was bankable on its own, when really it was Michael Myers that audiences wanted to see.

Didn't this kind of sort of happen with Hellraiser also? They started making Hellraiser 2 the day 1 was released, because of the surprise massive buzz, but did so still assuming Claire Higgin's Julia character would be the big deal recurring nemesis for the series. Except afterwards Miramax/Dimension took over and uh uhm HAHAHAHAA

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Basebf555 posted:

You know I never really thought of Hellraiser 2 that way because personally I love the fact that it focuses on Julia. She's one of the more underrated horror villains because obviously she's overshadowed by Pinhead.

But yea, much like the Halloween sequels, once the studio figured out that people wanted to see Pinhead everything went to poo poo because they didn't understand the idea of restraint.

Waste of potential too, I mean Clive Barker's "thing" in his own work is that the monsters in them can talk and have a society, rules, politics, feelings, and generally be fleshed out characters. After what goes down in Hellraiser 2 making a movie focusing on how Pinhead rolls isn't a terrible idea, but Miramax really specifically wanted to tap into the schlockier Nightmare on Elm Street sequels and turn Pinhead into a Freddy Kruger/Jason style franchise which was like the dumbest thing ever for that character since it meant turning him into a one note "oh hey a place that isn't like hell let's start torturing folks" with one liners and stuff instead of the more disciplined zealot we see in 1 and 2.

Doug Bradley is so amazing that he still almost still sells it even in some of the worst movies but given their convoluted productions (IIRC they were all z-level horror scripts that only got made because they shoehorned Pinhead in in some small way in each, Hellworld is the best example, the Hellraiser themed MMO they play was made in very short order to add into the movie which is why it looks like it's from 1993) and stuff he didn't have a whole lot to work with.

Hellraiser: Bloodlines is the worst though because of the potential. Someone saw the unfinished work print and wrote about it in the Halloween challenge thread I think? Apparently the Angela character actually had a bigger role in the movie instead of just sort of disappearing, and her feud with Pinhead is a bit more pronounced. Pinhead is obsessed and drunk with power while Angela is more like Pinhead in the first movie. The narrative was also linear instead of being presented via flashbacks, with the entire future segment meant to be a surprise at the end of the movie. I have to watch it some time as it probably doesn't fix everything wrong with Bloodlines but it at least sounds like the director had a clue compared to what was actually edited and released after he left.

Pinhead in space ended up being how the film was marketed, I remember a lot of posters, tv spots, etc. for it where they're made to make you think the entire movie is set in the far future. To bring it back to Halloween, that was actually something seriously considered for Michael Meyers at one point too, I want to say as early as the late 80s. I think it got tossed around a lot so for horror franchises so it's interesting that the Leprechaun, Pinhead, and Jason are the only ones * to have made it off world.

*Now you're remembering that Dracula 3000 exists, you're welcome. :P

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Nov 4, 2015

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

:wtc:

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I just saw Aliens for the first time ever even though I've seen Alien a few times. I've never seen the next 2 sequels but I've read their synopsis. Why after all the poo poo Ripley goes through to protect Newt and bond with her did the writers decide to unceremoniously murder her at the start of the 3rd movie?

Michael Beihn got paid the same amount of money for the low resolution digital picture of him shown for like one second in Alien 3's theatrical opening credits as he got paid to have a major role in Aliens. :whatup:

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

MrMojok posted:

Good God.

It was never implemented on the actual creature but in the script a flowing but veiny and gross head of long hair with blood visibly flowing and pulsing through it adorns it also.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Much like in Scott's Kingdom of Heaven, whoever worships, we lose.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Terrorist Fistbump posted:

Need I remind you that you're posting on the comedy forum called Something Awful, widely known for elevating the practice of trolling to an art form?

With posters like SMG it's pretty easy to forget.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Haha yesss that game is a travesty. And the DLC mission where you get to see the conspiracy/etc. about how Hicks survived is even more hilarious. Even Michael Biehn himself went on the record saying that game was bullshit and a super cynical production compared to when he worked on Blood Dragon which he had a ton of fun with and everyone was legit excited about having someone who was in these 80s movies contribute to the making of a totally rad 80s homage game. Though you can tell that really easily just through his voice acting in each.

Hbomberguy posted:

I feel like this completes his arc in a more meaningful way that's in line with my reading, but it being cut has a neat effect too - Burke simply evaporates into the horde, having succeeded in his quest to become more like them.

I don't know if that was really his quest or if that even would really make him a worse person. You don't see them screwing each other over for a loving percentage.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Nov 28, 2015

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Armyman25 posted:

I'm just amazed that James Cameron felt it necessary to copy Alien to the point that he even copied its deleted scenes.

He actually talks about this a bit on the commentary for Aliens. IIRC due to a slight lack of confidence on his part (as according to him he was extremely reverent of Alien/Ridley Scott even before he got to direct Aliens) he intentionally tried to imitate Scott a bit and then have the film gradually become one of his own voice as it went on. So the salvage scene at the beginning is, like the beginning of Alien shot in this very cold way, with just a machine operating for most it. Even the chestbursting scene in Aliens, the guidance he had for it was solely "does this look as good as Alien," and was part of why he butted heads with James Horner a lot, since Horner likes using those really dramatic musical stings as the shocking stuff happens like when the implanted woman wakes up. The movie sort of goes back and forth like this, and becomes fully his vision during the scene where the marines get demolished in their first encounter with the aliens.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

That's completely plausible to me. He says all the time he was really deep into Heavy Metal and European comics so he was probably inspired more by the massive number of European comic strips and stories appearing in it that looked similar to Planet of the Vampires rather than Planet of the Vampires itself.

Planet of the Vampires was specifically made with looking like one of those many comic strips in mind, it's why Bava was selected to direct Danger: Diabolik a few years later, and plenty of official comics came out based on it right after it was released. So it's very easy to understand how one could make something similar to it without having seen it.

Seeking immortality be it through our offspring, our creations, or whatever is also of course something that has appeared in science-fiction prior to when Alien vs. Predator was released in 2004.

Prometheus functions less as a response to the Alien franchise and is kind more of a conversation and answer to pulp sci-fi on screen in general, so it has a pretty appropriate look. I don't think it's a coincidence that Elizabeth Shaw, the spaced out main character whose arrogance keeps appearing as this stubborn quest for more and more answers, shares a name with Dr. Who's first companion in the show's 7th season from 1970.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Feb 11, 2016

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Botnit posted:

Not that anyone cares but AvP wasn't really as bad as I thought it would be. Plot wise it doesn't make much sense but thematically it made for a somewhat dumb but still fine movie.

AvP 2 however was worse than I thought AvP was going to be. I guess to save money they made the heavy CGI scenes be as dark as possible and I couldn't even tell the difference between the Predator and the Predator/Alien hybrid half the time. Also just a complete mess story wise. Whatever writer had the idea of "I'm going to make my Alien vs Predator movie involve half an hour of a high school teen romance triangle" deserves to be shot.

I read the effects shots are significabtly darker and harder to parse on all home releases of Requiem compared to how it looked in theaters. I read this I think in the old Prometheus thread or maybe even this one, someone had comparisons shots and everything IIRC.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Also for tactical realism Aliens fans, James Cameron himself says explicitly on the commentary that the aliens are smart and cut the power to the lights not by destroying random stuff but by having learned how to turn it off because they took over the place weeks ago the same way they stop hitting the sentry guns instead of brainlessly throwing themselves at them forever and the sane way the queen loooks at the elevator for like two seconds and uses it.

Basebf555 posted:

What about the scenes in both films where the crew finds a derelict ship with a disturbingly large skeleton at the controls? Its hard to overlook the similarity of those two scenes. Maybe that idea was taken directly from one of the comics you're referring to, I don't know.

It's not super uncommon in sci-fi comics, IIRC it's even in Barbarella, but I've seen the movie way more than I've read the comic it comes from. But like others have said none of these movies are made by one person.

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Feb 12, 2016

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Prometheus has one of the best 3D squid alien laser c-section birth scenes in all of cinema, like at least in the top 20.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

I want to agree with that because I like some of them but...

GOOD:
Alien
Alien 3
Aliens
Predator
Predator 2
Prometheus

BAAAAAD:
Alien vs. Predator
Alien vs. Predator: Requiem
Alien Resurrection
Predators

...I've read a lot of them and I have a hard time believing 60% of AvP comics are good.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

The dumbest/best parts of Predators were the 27 year old IDF soldier played by a Brazilian person saying she'd fought in every jungle on Earth and the last act of the movie becoming a Dexter vs. Predator crossover fan fiction.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Predator 2 is amazing because it's like an 80s Italian and/or Cannon Films "aliens are cool? okay put one of those in, uh, vigilante cops are big right now and, uh, voodoo? Yeah throw it all in" movie except with actual actors and budget.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

The "sword fight" between the Yakuza guy and the Predator was dumb as hell and thenlaziest possible way to end the laziest character in all of both franchises.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

This thread is the first time I've ever even read of his death being compared to Billy's. Everything about how it's shot and done is done to evoke cheap Yakuza flicks and the guys with swords charging at each other for one fatal slash seen in a billion Japanese movies and comics since the 50s. That they both die instead of one of them isn't even subversion of anything.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Xenomrph posted:

Things can be a subversion/homage of more than one thing at a time.

Here, I'll describe a scene from a Predator movie:

The silent warrior character willingly stays behind to face down the alien monster in honorable single combat using bladed weapons.

Which movie did I just describe?

The Mummy Returns, famed for how it was cunningly subverted in the film Predators

Harime Nui posted:

I forget, did they explicitly say Hanzo was descended from the dead samurai they found in that cave? I seem to recall he spots a mon or something on the armor and says something like "this man was my ancestor," with the implication the Predators follow certain human bloodlines to look for worthy opponents but this could be an elaborate headcanon that's grown into a fake memory I guess?

e: Also now that I'm thinking about it, wasn't the woman supposed to be Bolivian Army but got changed to being IDF at the last moment for... some reason? Hence the line about jungles that makes absolutely no sense. (I mean, there are no jungles in Bolivia either but at least that puts her on the right continent?)

They do not. Hanzo only has two lines. "I talk too much" while showing how he's missing some digits after another character comments on how he doesn't talk too much. The other is "This is very old" while looking at the samurai equipment in the wrecked ship. I had no idea that other character was originally meant to be Bolivian, weird change.

I remember Ebert's review of Predators, I think like half the review was just about how the Predator bloodhound alien dogs were dumb as poo poo because their tusks stuck like two feet straight out, so how the hell do they move in a way to get food into their mouths?

oldpainless posted:

Predator is a great movie

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

oldpainless posted:

Its a miracle Predator even made it to fruition, let alone be such a great movie. Filming in Mexico was arduous and food sickness hit the crew hard. It was John McTiernan's first studio film so he was unproven and watched by the studio. Sonny Landham was not easy to work with and had to be watched constantly. You had Jean Claude Van Damme assaulting stunt men and being a diva and he dropped out/got fired during filming and the original Predator concept was apparently loving terrible. The iconic design was after McTiernan asked Stan Winston for help who then got help from James Cameron.

This is totally true about Van Damme and the costume. If they stuck with him and it Predator would be like Forbidden World/Mutant levels of bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A1GfUoB0kog

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

oldpainless posted:

The brother of the original predator is back for revenge

Predator with a vengeance

This was the exact plot of Dark Horse's original Predator adaptation except it was Dutch's brother.