Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

The basic problem of a such a thread is that no-one has a concept of what made Alien or Aliens 'good'.

Now now don't be coy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Alien is cool because the alien is cool and Ripley has a flamethrower.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Eh I dunno containment kind of sounded okay at the time.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Well I mean, for example, the scene where the soldiers go surfing in the warzone. It would be more effective if they had a reason to be surfing, like it is part of their mission objectives. Maybe they are trying to reach the enemy base covertly, and they can't use outboard motors: "why not use surfboards!"

It's still a bit silly, but i think this would fix a lot of the character inconsistencies.

Either that or they could explain that this part of Vietnam is very safe, so surfing is okay.

Haha.

This desire for professionals and especially agencies/corporations to operate at maximum ruthless efficiency at all times is pretty interesting. Is it because, like, God's dead and the President's incompetent or impotent but at least the Army/Google know what they're doing?

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Doesn't the Lost World book end with the voice of reason character arguing that, like, protons aren't real because we can't see them?

Edit: And yeah Sphere gets way less interesting once it turns out they're not talking to an alien. Also, I always thought it was funny, even as a kid, how quickly they lose interest in the time traveling spacecraft. Like, I get that the titular sphere is interesting too, but it's pretty clear that Crichton did not want to expend the research and writing effort to build a semi-plausible black hole traversing 21st century spacecraft or the future that would have given rise to it. I feel like he did the "LOL China owns Coke now" bit and that was that.

porfiria fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Feb 13, 2017

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Toady posted:

Thorne talks about the evolution and intangibility of scientific beliefs and contrasts it with the immediate reality of the sea around them.

Nah man it's some real proto climate change denial bullshit. I went and looked it up:

quote:

"Are you listening to all that?" Thorne said. "I wouldn't take any of it too seriously. It's jist theories. Human beings can't help making them, but the fact is that theories are just fantasies. And they change. When America was a new country, people believed in something called phlogiston. You know what that is? No? Well, it doesn't matter, because it wasn't real anyway. They also believed that four humors controlled behavior. And they believed that the earth was only a few thousand years old. Now we believe the earth is four billion years old, and we believe in photons and electrons, and we think human behavior is controlled by things like ego and self-esteem. We think those beliefs are more scientific and better."

"Aren't they?

Thorne shrugged. "They're still just fantasies. They're not real. Have you ever seen a self-esteem? Can you bring me one on a plate? How about a photon? Can you bring me one of those?"

Kelly shook her head. "No, but..."

"And you never will, because those things don't exist. No matter how seriously people take them," Thorne said. "A hundred years from now, people will look back at us and laugh. They'll say, 'You know what people used to believe? They believed in photons and electrons. Can you imagine anything so silly?' They'll have a good laugh, because by then there will be newer and better fantasies." Thorne shook his head. "And meanwhile, you feel the way the boat moves? That's the sea. That's real. You smell the salt in the air? You feel the sunlight on your skin? That's all real. You see all of us together? That's real. Life is wonderful. It's a gift to be alive, to see the sun and breathe the air. And there isn't really anything else. Now look at that compass, and tell me where south is. I want to go to Puerto Cortes. It's time for us all to go home."

Woof.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Snowman_McK posted:

Wow. Man, gently caress Crichton.

As well as being really offensive, it's also just really stupid.

It's funny how aggressive he is about making sure you don't take him somewhat metaphorically. Like, "Oh he's just saying we just focus on lived experience and not worry too much about the precise..." No. Photons are made up dude, it's all just invented bullshit.

Even as stupid little fat kid in the 90s I remember reading that and going, "Wait what the gently caress?"

porfiria fucked around with this message at 01:48 on Feb 14, 2017

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Toady posted:

You may believe that Crichton didn't believe in electrons, but the fictional character Thorne's statement is based on his backstory as a former professor of applied engineering who was increasingly at odds with academia. He's a foil for Malcom the theoretical mathematician, who criticized engineers in the first book ("They don’t have intelligence. They have what I call ‘thintelligence.’ They see the immediate situation. They think narrowly and they call it ‘being focused.’"). His final statement comes after Malcolm theorizes that humanity's function is to kill everything.

This would make sense if he were only talking about theory in the colloquial sense though--you have to be tremendously stupid to conflate the theory of photons with the theory of self-esteem (or teleological stuff like "humans will kill everything"). Like, Malcolm's point about thintelligence is meant to be somewhat lucid even if he's an arrogant jerk. There's absolutely no way to read what Thorne's saying as anything but total insanity. I mean, there's a good chance Crichton's just not a great writer and he was trying to give Thorne a somewhat controversial and not meant to be taken entirely at face value but nevertheless thought-provoking statement. But at the end of the day not believing in global warming is pretty frikin' close to not believing in photons so...

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

DeimosRising posted:

Do you have any evidence that the character is speaking the beliefs of the author directly?

It's a bit suspicious when you have a character who, to that point, has not been portrayed as thoroughly insane suddenly start saying thoroughly insane things. Like, I cannot emphasize enough how crazy conflating phlogiston and photons is. It's not even that photons have a lot of experimental evidence behind them and phlogiston doesn't, it's a more basic error than that. It's like not believing in France because people used to believe in Zeus. Something's up even if it's not Crichton's manifesto.

Xenomrph posted:

Don't worry, I got your reference. :hfive:

On the topic of Crichton-chat, I like the book 'Sphere' but I think the movie is better. The casting is perfect, and the movie handles several of the "twists" and suspense moments better than the book does. The biggest one is Harry's theory that if the (human) spacecraft actually traveled through time, that means none of the characters make it back to the surface alive otherwise it would cause a paradox. In the movie, Harry introduces it fairly early after they realize what they've discovered, and it becomes a huge point of suspense because logically he's right, so it makes the audience question if/how the characters are going to survive. In the book, Harry brings it up literally 3 pages from the end of the book, after the characters have already made it back to the surface. That leaves two scenarios: either the characters all die right before the book ends, or they solve the problem immediately. And since it's a Crichton novel, you know exactly which scenario it's going to be right away, and there's no suspense.

The way the power of the Sphere is handled in the book was quite strange from what I remember. Does it ever explain why they can't just teleport themselves to the surface or manifest an escape submarine? I feel like the movie also handled this better but I can't recall how.

porfiria fucked around with this message at 06:11 on Feb 14, 2017

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Toady posted:

Thorne isn't literally saying that things you can't see don't exist. His point is that consensus changes. The ending is an ironic inversion of the first novel, in which Malcolm uses mathematical models to predict that the park is inherently unstable, and Arnold responds that he's dealing with "life, not computer models." Thorne is a practicalist who believes engineers should study psychology because human beings undermine their perfect mathematical formulas.

Yes, I'm sure the consensus about the Earth's age will change radically some time this century.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Schwarzwald posted:

He doesn't imply that it will, only that there are currently things that are believed to be true that will no longer be believed to be true in the future.

Which is a very safe bet.

I hate to keep going around on this because it's so far off the topic, but this statement is both totally true and totally meaningless, so it's the way it's stated that opens the window into Crichton's beliefs. The character could have said, "We used to think killing Indians was cool. Who knows what we'll decide is wrong to kill tomorrow?" Or, "They used to sacrifice people to appease their Gods, heh." Instead he goes for a wacky pop culture angle on scientific inquiry (not to say the scientific method, peer review et al are infallible but we didn't believe in the four humors because they published a bunch of double blind studies in Nature) from a character who should ostensibly know better. That's why I made the France/Zeus analogy earlier--what the character is saying is genuinely incoherent. He might as well be saying, "We used to think black people weren't people. Now, we believe in photons." This is the heart of ideology etc.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

This is foregoing the act of reading in order to fixate on whether dead celebrity Michael Crichton was a bad person, which of course he was.

If you've actually read State Of Fear, the bulk of it is a ridiculous pulp adventure novel where they literally travel to Cannibal Island to blow up the supervillains' doomsday earthquake machine. I'm pretty sure someone fights a crocodile at some point.

There is no point in the book where a character says "science isn't real" or anything of the sort. The failing of the book is the opposite: that it frequently pauses for the exposition character to give a PowerPoint presentation about temperature data, complete with charts and graphs. But this is secondary to the book's overall goal of trolling liberals.

No, you were the one who ignored the age of the earth angle in the original text because it didn't line up with your ineffable nature of nature interpretation. Wave-particle duality might be incomprehensible but that's not what the character is talking about. I'm taking the text seriously and pointing out how it's taking words that sound like they're talking about the same thing (photons/phlogiston) and relating them in ways that are either incoherent or meaningless. You're interested in making the same boring points about how liberals are stupid over and over again. Read carefully!

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Snowman_McK posted:

Whedon, like Sorkin and the overwhelmingly majority of artistic types, has one thing he's really good at, and every time he steps outside his area of specialty, he either struggles, or it turns back into his specialty, the way Sorkin wrote something with the same plot as 30 Rock with the intensity of the White House ops room.

The big mistake there was actually showing the sketches.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
One thing about special effects is like, what would an alien clinging to the side of a spacecraft accelerating to the ground at 9.8 m/s2 look like? There's footage on youtube of people doing flybys in squirrel suits that looks fake as hell because it's so wildly outside the realm of normal experience.

quote:

I watched Prometheus and didn't hate it but I must admit I am confused as to how these movies are all supposed to fit together. I think I read this is a direct sequel to Prometheus but it doesn't look like the Engineers are involved at all in the upcoming film.

Please someone tell my stupid rear end what the gently caress is happening lol.

Apparently the crashed ship they stumble across is the one Shaw and Michael Fassbender commandeer at the end of Prometheus. And I guess Fassbender has gone full Moreau and is growing monsters and killed off all the Engineers

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Elysium has a lot of good ideas and the production design is on point but it feels a bit undercooked (I think Blomkamp himself has said as much). It's the little stuff--like why did the Elysium station look like it could house about a thousand people max? William Fichtner is just able to write a program that lets him take over the whole kit and kaboodle because Jodie Foster asks him to? Why didn't he just do that before--or why didn't someone else? Is Fichtner a genius programmer? And I like Matt Damon but I'm not a huge fan of his choices in it--he's sort of just playing loquacious Matt Damon, when the role really calls for, well, Eminem or something like that.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

mllaneza posted:

The role originally called for Ninja from Die Antwoord. He turned it down because he wanted to be known for his music and a major SF epic would overshadow that. So yeah, Eminem or something like that.

Oh really? I had read Blompkamp wanted Eminem himself. Anyway, it's not like you actually need someone with a, uh, difficult background, but that's the energy I think the part called for.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Alhazred posted:

It's real bad.

Really? I remember it being pretty tight for a 10 million dollar flick. Then again I don't really remember anything about it other than I thought it was tight.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
That clip of the Engineers streaming toward the ship is very

They seem to treat the ship with a kind of spiritual expectation. Like they don't have any goo no more. Presumably why they don't instantly blow it out of the sky.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Well, I just saw it. Really great first act--the sequence on the landing shuttle is a display of true bravura, but everything after that kinda meanders. I think part of the problem is there's no throughline in the second act--David is very obviously evil, which fine, but there's no play given to, say, trust morphing into suspicion and then confrontation. None of the characters other than Walter give a poo poo about David or what he's been up, which, again, makes sense I guess but is really inert dramatically. I didn't love Prometheus but at least there the characters' motivations and internal lives informed their actions. The whole thing felt weirdly put together--I can't for the life of me remember exactly how the scenes were put together but I feel like there were at least a couple of moments where I thought the tension was about to start ratcheting up...and then we'd cut to a scene of David talking urbanely about something.

I think another problem is that the imagery is super tapped out (Ridley was right!) When David brings Billy Crudup into his backroom I was like, "Now we're gonna see some hosed up poo poo!" But it's just...alien eggs. It took me a minute to even remember why this would mean anything, or that we hadn't seen The Eggs (tm) up to that point. Prometheus at least had a ton of original and hosed-up beasts.

If the second act is kind of killing time until David gets around to killing everyone, the third act is...killing time waiting for the same thing! I guess the audience is supposed to be aware that it's really David, but this seems to me to be a really big problem because it completely deflates all the action around the Alien (which I didn't think was especially compelling to begin with). Maybe they should have cut the Walter/David fight a bit more ambiguously, but I think in the end they realized that audiences in 2017 are pretty sophisticated and they're going to suspicious as soon as one of those two disappears off screen regardless (so maybe don't bother with that beat at all, or, alternatively, actually play with the tension in a meaningful way. Or just cut the third act, which is kinda perfunctory anyway). By the way, was that sigh of relief David gives when Daniels reveals she's alive just lame audience misdirection? I guess the diegetic explanation is he wants her to be mother of the new brood, but aren't there like...1000 women on the ship? Maybe he's developed a thing for kick rear end brunettes?

porfiria fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Jun 6, 2017

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Still probably a good idea to wear some kind of filter but I'll forgive a movie for not wanting to stick its entire cast behind masks or helmets for the whole runtime.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
I felt pretty bad for Walter in this movie. He gets punked by David, gets up, and then instantly gets punked again!

Edit: Also Walter getting unplugged and collapsing into the weird manufacturing pose is one of the movie's moments of true artistry along with the double blood floor slip.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
To be fair as soon as they spot earth trees and earth wheat that would go out the window.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Ri(p)ly.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Elysium is a Bad Movie but it's much closer to good than many better pictures.

Rakka is pretty neat so far. I like how it's just kind of saying gently caress it as far as plot and dialogue go and it's a bunch of voiceover exposition and insane images. Feels like Blomkamp reaching his true form. That bit towards the end where they have to shoot the guy is kind of amateur hour though.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Breetai posted:

Is it just me who doesn't feel like he was blown away by Rakka? It felt like the first 5 minutes of a Syfy original movie stretched over 20 minutes, only with really clunky exposition.

It's not life changing but I liked all of the designs. Making the aliens big lizards with liquid metal felt surprisingly fresh after the last 30 years of bugs and hazy cyborgs. You're right that it feels like a Syfy original; it's pure trash. But it's elevated trash.

Also it's okay to have a distinct aesthetic. Blomkamp is the Wes Anderson of instagib scifi.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
So what happened to David if Walter turned traitor, how about that smart guy?

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
David is Dionysian, Walter is Apollonian duh.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Schwarzwald posted:

God forbid a person believe what they say.

David is Goofus, Walter is Gallant.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Walter is Paul Dano from the beginning of There Will Be Blood, David is Paul Dano from the rest of that particular movie.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Walter is a different character from David. You can tell because they don't act, sound, dress, look, or act alike.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Ferrinus posted:

Well, Weyland from the hologram at the beginning of Prometheus doesn't really act, sound, dress, look, or act like the Weyland who comes out of a cryopod towards the end of the movie.

They're different characters, like Palpatine and Darth Sidious, or Batman and Ben Affleck.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Sons of bitches finally went and did it. Now we have to live with the consequences.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
He's like SubG baby, in the wind. We'll not see his like again.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
The Engineers in Covenant are what happened to them after they elected Engineer Trump Engineer Space President.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Martman posted:

I'm not lying when I say that Prometheus was a laugh-out-loud funny movie experience for me when I originally saw it in theaters. It's thrilling and tense, but it approaches this tension from David's (mostly) justifiably hateful point of view. I'm not gonna claim the whole theater was laughing or anything, but I genuinely found it funny how much of a "gently caress you" statement I felt the movie was making.

Did people look at you weird.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Monglo posted:

Inability to even correctly identify the genre the film is made in disqualifies you from having further discussion.

Genre's for marketers.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Fifield has got to be the most discussed nothing character of all time. At least on this board.

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

LesterGroans posted:

It's really impressive watching Star Wars now and noticing how propulsive it is. Like you said, there's almost no exposition whatsoever until maybe the quick war room scene before the Death Star attack, and that's basically the end of the film. More sci-fi/fantasy films need to look back at the editing and pacing of the first movie and stop front-loading the worldbuilding.

Brother, uh, there is some exposition at the beginning of Star Wars...

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games

Basebf555 posted:

The text crawl/opening exposition monologue has fallen out of fashion in modern film but I wish more sci-fi films used it. It's a great way to lay a foundation and then allow the audience to drop right into the story without having to spend precious time on establishing the basics. Right away we know there's an Empire, and a Rebellion fighting them. Some movies use like 15 minutes just to go over that kind of extremely basic information.

I assume it's because there is no longer any trustworthy authority anywhere, but yeah it's certainly preferable to characters saying things they already know to each other.

My preference is just confusion and ambiguity though (I'm trying to think of a reasonably big budget sci fi movie that operated that way. Uh 2001: A Space Odyssey?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

porfiria
Dec 10, 2008

by Modern Video Games
Covenant was all right, but I'm kind of getting sick of David. He's in danger of overexposure IMHO.