Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I like that it's very pessimistic but not cynical

That's a very apt description. I loving love Alien 3, in my mind it's the perfect conclusion to the series. It says a lot about how hateful and miserable the universe is that suicide is actually a legit happy ending.

Resurrection is such a mess, but drat it, they really tried. It's got such an incredible cast, and the surreal tone works a lot of the time, it just never comes together and the whole Alien rape imagery being taken to its logical conclusion is maybe a bit on the nose, but still I'd rather take that film over the pre-fab generic action movie horseshit that the AvP movies became.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Immortan posted:

At this point, the only thing Blomkamp is guaranteed to retain from the series is an R rating, which isn't bad considering how many franchises have been watered down lately with PG13 shenanigans. IIRC even Prometheus almost received one too until Scott himself said no. Also, there are overtly modern political & social themes throughout each of Blomkamp's movies that I hope he doesn't bring to the Alien series. The Weyland-Yutani corporation will definitely be involved in some way but attempting to use the Aliens as biological weapons is a dead horse and hopefully he'll avoid it. Going the enclosed horror route of Alien 1 & 3 is the best option IMO.

I think it's only a dead horse because no one has done it well. I wanna see Blomkamp adapt Nightmare Asylum, it'd be right up his alley I think.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Elysium was not as good as D9, and the ending was extremely stupid, but I liked the rest of that movie a lot. Chappie, though, just looked bad from the get go, and although I haven't seen it, I also have no interest in doing so. That said I still think he's a good pick for a new Alien movie; if nothing else, he'll make something that's very distinctive - I always liked the idea that Alien, perhaps by chance, ended up becoming a sort of anthology series where each movie had a different director with their own wildly creative spin on the concept that was completely different from the last one. Which even Jeunet had, and despite that movie not being great, I would rather take another bizarre Resurrection-style film over the series becoming yet another homogenized "cinematic universe" or whatever.

I would honestly prefer it if Ripley did not return, however.

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Jun 30, 2015

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

The only thing I'm worried about re: Blomkamp is if he tries to pander too hard to the Aliens fandom. I've always thought people losing their poo poo over Hicks/Newt dying was unbelievably infantile, but hey I can understand not liking the overall direction that 3 went in.

But if they put Hicks and Newt in this new film let's just loving end this miserable world once and for all.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

If they're gonna reboot they should actually just do a reboot and also ignore 1 and 2, and recast Sigourney while they're at it. After watching Fury Road I recommend Charlize Theron! Just forget that she was in Prometheus.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Baronjutter posted:

What do we actually know about the new Alien 3 other than it being more "familiar" vs the actual wonderful Alien 3? So far all I've read is Blumpkin assuring everyone it will be a familiar normal rehash of the things the fans like/want and not at all like that terrible weird movie that was Alien 3 that he's excited about erasing.

I don't think he's said anything about the plot other than vague stuff about it happening between Aliens and Alien3, somehow without erasing the events of 3 and 4 (???). AFAIK all the plot stuff is mainly assumed based on the concept art that's out there, but who knows if that's even going to be in the film. Is there even a script yet?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Still wonder if it would've looked scarier if you could actually see the skull stuck inside the dome.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Ugh, I hate that scene so much. One of the only things in film to ever have grossed me out to the point of me actively never wanting to watch it again. I think it's by faaaar the most disturbing moment in the entire franchise.

Has Scott ever talked about the alien design from the end of Prometheus? I'm not sure what to think of it at all, it doesn't look very scary, but at the same there's something almost dignified about it. I have no idea what they were actually going for there.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Yeah it is, also seems to be keeping the subtitle that a lot of European countries had: "Alien - The 8th Passenger"

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Man, the first time I ever went to London that had just opened, and my parents asked me if I wanted to go but I said no because I thought it was too scary (I would've been like 9), what a loving idiot kid I was, I probably would've remembered that experience for life.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Absolutely love Prometheus, wanna see him make a ton more movies in that universe

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

So now will we be getting two different, unrelated Alien films in possibly the same year?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Doesn't that game has some weird rear end-backwards stealth mechanics where it's actually better for you to run and walk than to crouch, and hiding is entirely pointless despite being like the main mechanic of the game? Hearing about that stuff always kept me from playing it.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Now dig up the ones from the Aliens arcade game, those designs are loving nuts

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Botnit posted:

This seems like the most relevant thread to ask this question in: for some unknowable reason I'm watching Alien vs Predator and I'm pretty sure this isn't supposed to be considered canon (?) but it has the first instance I know of Weyland being sickly / looking for answers before he dies. The second being Prometheus. Did they decide they liked that aspect of Weyland in AvP and keep it for Prometheus or was that established in something else and AvP got lucky using it in its mad scramble to be forgotten about entirely?

I doubt Ridley Scott gave a poo poo about what happened in either AvP movie

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Phi230 posted:

IMO it works better if David didn't create the aliens and if they stumbled upon an ancient dead city rather than David using chemical weapons on it.

The aliens as a natural phenomenon is better and doesn't break spacetime.

I honestly really like the idea that humanity created a machine so immoral that it itself created a being that is essentially destruction made physical. There's a real good dramatic irony there, even if it does remove any sense of mystery.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I thought the CG was decent, especially the Neomorphs. That part where it's just standing and breathing it looks like it stepped right out of a Beksinski painting.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

An old model being compatible with a (let's say) 10 year newer one doesn't seem that unrealistic to me, also people seem to put a looooot of fuckin faith in synthetics in that universe.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

What are some hot tips for Alien Isolation if I've never played it?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Justin Credible posted:

It's.. fine. Like, it's a fine movie and I can't fault anyone for really liking it, but it's maybe a 6 out of 10?

Just a lot of little stuff together that adds up to eye rolling. Thrown axe that always impacts blade first, and the laughable thirty foot rope yank directly into the hand thing.

A skinny guy going toe to toe with Predator hand weapons, while he's using bone and wood and stone. Against an eight foot creature of solid muscle that literally lifts a grizzly above it's head after killing it in what is basically a wrestling match. But now this thin dude who's half a body shorter and at least 300 pounds lighter is SO GOOD that Mr Preddy has to go invisible and sneak around behind him - pretty antithetical to how Predators have been portrayed when it comes to this kind of fighting.

He's so quick to react and adapt and flow in all these combat situations.. and then he can't put two and two together when his own lasers are on his face.

Oh and also the magic plants that let you drop your body temperature to the surrounding environment with seemingly no negative effects.

It seems like nitpicking until you add all this stuff up and then that's the tone of the movie. Never felt the main character was in any real danger, and I put it about 75% of the dog surviving while watching.

It's probably somewhere in the middle. Predator, Predator 2, Predators, this, the rest.

I basically agree with this, though a bit less harshly. I think it was a fine, perfectly cromulent film, but it was visually quite dull and thematically very thin without the aggressive stylistic flair and thick atmosphere of 1 and 2 to make up for it. And I really do think the poor CGI damages the final product.

That said I’d definitely take a sequel with a higher budget.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

They're all mean-spirited movies. The xenomorph is the concept of pure amorality and hate made manifest, and how that continues to fester on everything it comes into contact with. AvPR is just the lamest, most edgelordy version of that. Some of the Dark Horse comics go in similar directions - it's not too surprising given that the whole birth and femininity theme of these films is ripe for misogyny if you wanna go that route.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

I don't think Prometheus provides any definitive answers about anything. Covenant does to some degree, but the only thing Prometheus did was provide us with the name, Engineers, and the idea that they are incredibly fond of genetic engineering. It doesn't say anything about the age or origin of the Xenomorphs from the original film - the "engineer" in Alien is fossilized and so must be thousands of years old. Potentially it could even not be an engineer, but a precursor species that the engineers based their tech on. It could be a bio-modified engineer with an elephantine face that lets it interface with its technology in a superior way, etc.

All Prometheus does is provide some context as well as thematic and visual ties, it doesn't actually give any answers to anything other than the origin of humanity. In fact I believe the original Prometheus script was way more explicit about its ties to Alien, and they then deliberately made an effort to make it way more ambiguous and vague.

To me it does largely the same thing that a lot of the better EU material does, which is add flavour to the universe. And then tells a largely original story with David. I wish Covenant was a better movie, because there are parts of it I really like, but it also falls into the trap of partially just being an Alien remake that's much less compelling than the original. Alas, I have high hopes for the television show simply because it's Noah Hawley, though who knows if it'll actually happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Yeah, I liked Scorn a lot and definitely captures the existential dread of Giger beyond just looking like his art. Initially I was all where are all the psychosexual themes but then the last chapter sure showed me!

I understand why a lot of people really hate the gameplay, but it's worth watching a playthrough or something if you don't think you'd like it.