Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
This is the best part of the movie (and I like the movie). The score in general was pretty amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I think I like the dogburster from the Theatrical cut better... but you should still watch the Assembly Cut first and only watch the Theatrical afterwards (if at all) if you're curious. There's some more minor differences beyond just removing enormous chunks of the movie.

I wasn't paying attention to who was involved in the earlier catfight so maybe you'll reject this, but SMG argued that the theatrical was superior (surprise!) because the drastic cuts gave it an incoherence that could be interpreted as dream logic about the Alien purely being Ripley's nightmare (paraphrasing heavily). I'm kinda curious about re-watching it with that in mind.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

MonsieurChoc posted:

There's quite a few shots where the special effects were added after the fact in the AC and look really bad because of it. The xenomorph really suffers from it: there are scenes where it looks really amazing, and then others where it looks really bad.

Switching tracks, am I remembering wrong or was there an android that had rebelled against the company in 4? If so, that's another really interesting idea wasted by that movie.
The alien alternating between awesome and hideous is inherent to all versions of the movie :haw:

The analog process they used to compose the rod puppet with the live action hallway shots gave it a very unfortunate green tint which makes a lot of people think it's awful CG (but this was '92, before Jurassic Park). I've heard that the rod puppet shadows are CG, which makes sense because they look... wrong. I think the suit looked great, though.

In Alien: Resurrection, Call (Winona Ryder) is an android that I think was part of some society of escaped androids living independently. I think WY is dead in that movie, however (it's set hundreds of years after 3).

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

CelticPredator posted:

Right? It's too late now, but I wish someone could've found the raw footage for the puppet stuff as well as the plate shots and re-composite it. They look seriously great when not composited in the film.
I wouldn't be surprised if that stuff exists and it's just an issue of money. Alien 3 probably isn't popular enough to get a return on investment for redoing the compositing. The time to do it would have been for the Anthology/Quadrilogy releases, but that obviously didn't happen.

In a perfect fairy tale world they would get some super fans with video chops to do it for free for them (you know those people exist) but that's obviously never going to happen. There's this clip on YouTube that a fan did based on some unused ideas from the movie; the flames are an interesting look into Golic's world view but the really exciting part (or depressing, really) is that the Alien looks noticeably cleaner in the hospital ward shot.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Dog_Meat posted:

I just wanted to see Aliens getting to earth like the teaser promised :(
I think that teaser really hurt it a lot. At the time Fox just shoved something out to prove they were working on a movie but there wasn't even the idea for a script at that point. Fans ran with it and were fantasizing about Aliens 2 taking place on the set of Blade Runner and they got... dusty tunnels with bald dudes.

And let's not forgot the title of the thread; the theatrical version is not the most coherent thing ever put out.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

zVxTeflon posted:

People poo poo on A3s characters but the first few deaths in Aliens are all complete non characters who we literally never see. Seriously when do we ever see crowe or weirzbowski in the film before they die? I assume one of them actually gets a line of dialog with Frost in the dropship (only because i cant match that voice with any other known character) but you never see his face.
There was an old joke site called The Wierzbowski Hunters dedicated to documenting every frame that the lovable lug appeared in. It, uh, wasn't many.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

This sounds like a personal problem.
Oh come on, that's not exactly a unique opinion. The build up to the movie was blatantly misleading because Fox had no idea what they were doing for most of the development. Expectations play an enormous role in how a film is received - see Prometheus as a modern example.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Tenzarin posted:

If he only didn't throw his flame thrower on the ground and try to wrestle the alien filled with acid blood to death.
Say what you will about Parker, but the man died in pursuit of a Dream - a singular, defined purpose he devoted his entire life to achieving. I hope one day I will find something that provides me with as much direction in my life as Parker's quest to Judo throw an extraterrestrial.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhcjHhIapO4

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Xenomrph posted:

I made that video. :v: I considered doing a coda for the Space Jockey, but I couldn't come up with a way to edit the footage without the Jockey still looking creepy as poo poo and undermining whatever funny text I put in.

When I have more free time I'd like to put together other similar edits for other movies, the Alien one was a lot of fun to make.
I didn't realize you made it, but I did see it from one of your posts. :)

Edit: oh hey your name is even on the video, how about that

david_a fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Oct 19, 2016

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
No, the boxing gloves thing must be toward the beginning. I barely remember it either. I think the android reveal is after That Ladder Scene That The Movie Thinks Is Really Cool But Isn't.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

Resurrection is better than Alien 3. After Alien, Prometheus and Aliens respectively, it's the fourth best film on the series.
Fine, I'll bite: why is Resurrection better than 3?

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Baronjutter posted:

This is pretty neat. Are all these scenes on some special dvd or something?
It's on the Blu-Ray, which I think is only available as a multi-format release with a DVD copy as well.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
One of the reasons they went with what's on the movie is that Ridley felt the actor got totally lost under the CGI effects. Also, I'm not sure if the mutated version effects were 100% finished and polished, but they are a bit more noticeably artificial in motion than the other one.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Basebf555 posted:

I never thought about it before but I guess with the CGI version it would be possible for a portion of the audience to not even realize what's going on in that scene? Like, they say the name "Fifield" at some point in the scene, but would the average person remember who Fifield is without seeing his face(and probably more importantly, his hair)?
Hah, that's probably possible. From what I remember they state a bunch of times that it's Fifield's camera out there but I don't remember how well established it is who Fifield actually is.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Tenzarin posted:

There wasn't much of an actor under there after all. I cant wait for his next movie. Wow he was the bad guy in MI rogue nation, haha.

Hi, I was the scared geologist in Prometheus.
Have you seen Southcliffe?

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Xenomrph posted:

For another fun challenge, try to figure out where the motor is in the APC. :v:
The wheels. It does make vroom-vroom noises though, so I guess it's a gas-electric hybrid with a little growly IC generator hidden somewhere.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

oldpainless posted:

Is Planet of the Vampires worth watching?
Yes. The similarities to Alien and Prometheus are remarkable. When they say Alien is a B movie at heat, part of why is how similar it is to Vampires.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
For all we know the Nostromo could have picked up the beacon very faintly on the trip out there (assuming they went there & back on vaguely the same route). Possibly it was only detected by WY after a more thorough log examination once they arrived and there was a standing order to do a little more digging on any possible lead by slightly modifying the contracts, giving Mother a special rule, and adding an android on the return voyage. If they knew for sure there was something valuable on LV426 there's no way they would send a bunch of truckers to pick it up.

The movie doesn't actually specify when they signed those contracts, does it?

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Yeah, I don't buy that all the eggs in the derelict used to be the crew. For one, there's like hundreds (if not thousands) of them, and second, the Space Jockey is like 3 times the size of a human. A Space Jockey egg would be enormous.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Xenomrph posted:

Although even if the eggs in the hold aren't the Derelict's crew, the implication behind the egg morphing is still that all those eggs were morphed from something, and that's pretty hosed.

The egg morphing/Derelict crew idea isn't something I'm inferring out of thin air, that actually was the original intent in an earlier draft of the movie. It was conveyed a bit differently, though: originally there was the crashed Derelict ship and a separate "egg silo" sorta-pyramid structure that had all the eggs, with a bunch of hieroglyphs depicting the Alien life cycle. The Nostromo crew would find the Derelict, find the Space Jockey, and then move on to find the egg silo, climb the side, and Kane would get lowered down an opening at the top, find a bunch of eggs, and get facehugged. It was ambiguous whether the Derelict and the egg silo were related, or if the Derelict was just another ill-fated explorer like the Nostromo.
I think they were even intending on giving the Derelict and Pyramid/Egg Silo to different artists in the final designs to differentiate them but it's been a while since I read through all this stuff.

Dan O'Bannon's original idea was that the Alien was a symbiotic life form that lived in conjunction with some kind of space cow on the planet. They were relatively advanced and built structures like the Pyramid with all the hieroglyphics as decorations. Some kind of planetary catastrophe killed off all the cows and turned LV426 into the inhospitable hellhole that we know and love, so all that survived were the eggs. The alien in the movie is a killer because it's a feral child - nobody is around to teach it to behave otherwise. I'm not clear how much of this was ever written down in any scripts; this is all very early on and may just have been ramblings between O'Bannon and Ron Cobb. In case you're struggling to imagine the xeno's sitting around drinking tea and debating philosophy, this is way before Giger was involved so nobody had a good idea of what the alien looked like.

I had forgotten that Giger actually tried to save the hieroglyph in the movie somewhere but got shot down. You can actually see an outline of it above the middle bulb in the egg chamber painting:

I think I agree with Ridley on taking it out. Having it there would make it unmistakeable that the Jockey knew exactly what it was carrying and that they had a long history together (one way or the other). I prefer having it be a total mystery what the relationship is between the two species.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

SMERSH Mouth posted:

Is there any other live action film or film series, sci-fi or otherwise, where a (non film) visual artist's work has had such a singular effect on the film's success? Its easy to imagine that without Geiger's input, Alien would have ended up maybe being a cult favorite like The Thing, but not the acclaimed (at least at first) franchise that it became.
It could have gone all the way with Ron Cobb! ALL THE WAY

There's probably plenty of similar examples in animated movies but I can't think of one for live action stuff. People like Syd Mead and Jean Giraud obviously shaped a ton of movies (both directly and indirectly) but I don't know how critical their exact design language were to any particular franchise.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Something something human impurities in the DNA making them selfish, imperfect organisms

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

AlternateAccount posted:

Gibson didn't write that script.
The spore thing? He wrote two drafts of it.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

A Deacon posted:

So there were these series of comics published throughout the 90s and 00s set in the Alien universe; and now, apparently they are releasing novelizations of them that began in January of this year. Maybe the hype for Alien Covenant and Blomkamp's possible sequel spilled over into the book world? Each volume is going to have a multiple adaptations, and two of them are available now:

From what I've read, there will eventually be a total of 7 volumes.

For people here who've read any of the novels set in the Alien universe: were they any good?
I have the Aliens: Book One comic book series mainly for nostalgia reasons (I guess it's called "Earth War" now) and the story is OK. I think the artwork (at least in its original B/W) is great:

(Best scan I could find) Unfortunately they now have a colorized one that looks utterly abysmal.

A novelization of a comic book, though? Why do you think this would be good?

I read a few of those books in middle school and I guess they were entertaining back then, but even then I could tell that the prose was a bit questionable. Lots of violence and sex though.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

SUNKOS posted:

I think that this is most evident with the space jockey room itself. In the original movie there's an atmosphere and if I remember correctly there's an emphasis on wetness and humidity throughout the movie that gives it a certain look. The eggs are oozing liquid, the walls of the derelict appear to be sweating and of course we have the sprays of blood from Kane or the milky spurts of Ash, all the way to Brett standing under the leaking water and characters drenched in sweat. Then of course there's the alien itself, covered in slime. I think this is one of the key aspects of how the original movie fused sci-fi technology with real biological grossness to create an unsettling atmosphere, it's so dirty throughout. In comparison, the space jockey room in Prometheus along with much of the set design is spotless and immaculate, and comes across as fake and well, a bunch of movie sets. They're so clinically clean and flawless that it detracts a lot from what an environment like that had achieved in prior movies.
Someone in the original Prometheus thread here thought the Space Jockey room being "off" was intentional. I think the argument was (and I'm sorta paraphrasing here because I don't remember the details) that the Engineer's tech at the facility wasn't as 'corrupt' as the derelict so there was more of a separation between the biological and the mechanical. Remember that in the intro scene the Engineers have a nice round spaceship and normal bodies, but at the facility they have the weird gnarly ship and some gross biosuit that may or may not be fused to them. The derelict is an even more decadent stage with a true biomechanical hybrid - they went too far and completely lost control over themselves, and their own blasphemous technology destroyed them. You could use that as a far-fetched way to explain the differences between the Space Jockey and Engineers, because in Alien that sure as hell wasn't a mechanical suit (and the Jockey was way bigger). That is, of course, if you choose to believe in an in-universe explanation and not a more mundane real-life production decision by people who don't really care about the continuity.

I don't know if I entirely buy it. It could just be that no one can summon the magic to reproduce the Giger look, which is a depressing thought. That's probably selling the artists short, though. I'm not sure what to make of the cleaner looking Engineers in the intro scene because it must be intentional.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
I really didn't expect the Alien 3 thread would result in me wanting to watch Mortal Kombat Annihilation but, yet, here we are :jerry:

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Jenner posted:

You have made a good decision and you will have no regrets.
It turns out the library doesn't have a copy of it for some mysterious reason so I'm saved :toot:

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

oldpainless posted:

It's on Netflix
:stonklol: :ohdear:

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Just finished MK Annihilation! Much better than it should have been because A) it knows you're not interested in wasting the first third of the movie on boring setup and B) it has an adorably sincere devotion to all the palette-swapped ninjas/robots and other bullshit from the games. And hey, it's still better than the TV series!

I think the IMDB trivia page is my favorite thing from the movie:

quote:

The song playing while Kitana and Liu Kang are traveling through the tunnels is also the song the Jim Levinsteen strips to in American Pie (1999).

quote:

If adding up all back-flips, front-flips, and side-flips together there are a total of 54 of them present in the film.

quote:

Kitana and Mileena are not twins because Mileena has blue eyes, but Kitana are brown eyes.

To bring it vaguely back on topic - poor James Remar. Getting fired from Aliens to replacing Christopher Lambert in an MK sequel a decade later. Rough.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Ixian posted:

However my favorite Alien game, outside of Isolation, is the free mod for the original Doom which came out around 96 or 97. Fox eventually shut it down but for what it was it is a hell of a lot of fun. That's mostly nostalgia on my part, maybe, but I liked it.
Aliens TC for Doom is still available. If you want to play it, just grab the V2.0 package from down in the references section of that link and you should be good to go with something modern like ZDoom.

What you are also remembering is the Aliens mod for Quake, which was indeed (infamously) taken down by Fox. I think this was one of the first times a major rights holder stepped in to squash a fan-made project, so for a while Fox became synonymous with this ("oh no, this mod got Foxed!").

Back to Aliens TC - it was an incredibly influential modification. id Software had actually briefly looked into getting an official Aliens license before they went their own way with an "Aliens meets Evil Dead 2" aesthetic for Doom. The FPS industry was small enough back then that basically everyone played it and some of more clever ideas were borrowed for commercial games.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Neo Rasa posted:

Alien in general has had a great track record compared to other franchises with licensed games. There are only a few absolute pieces of trash like the NES version of Alien 3 or Colonial Marines.
The interesting thing is that due to technical and gameplay reasons, the video games are really part of the Aliens franchise, not Alien. Gunning down hordes of mindless monsters is both simple to design and doesn't require that much horsepower to pull off. It's only in the very early days (when even multiple enemies were too much) and in modern times that pitting the player against a single foe* is remotely doable (yes I know Isolation cheats). Take Alien 3 - in the SNES/Genesis side-scrollers it was Ripley once again gunning down hordes of aliens (albeit while bald). The Alien Trilogy shooter should have really added an 's' to the title since it only superficially has anything to do with the first and third films.

I would guess that Aliens similarly dominates the other EU material (which is just the comics I guess) but I don't know for sure.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Ixian posted:

It's a testament to how bad Resurrection really was that there wasn't a single video game adaptation I can remember of it (though I am probably wrong and someone will find it. Now that I think about it there has to be at least a light-gun arcade version right?).
There was an FPS on the PS1 released 18 months after the PC AvP. I never heard of it either, but Wikipedia claims it was the first console game to do movement/aiming with two sticks.

EDIT: LOL, this was released after the PS2 came out, no wonder nobody has heard of it.

david_a fucked around with this message at 05:08 on Dec 6, 2016

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Half the work on the xenomorph field guide is already done!

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

ruddiger posted:

That site neglected to include the stats and bios from the toyline.

https://www.figurerealm.com/actionfigure?action=seriesitemlist&id=6
Yes, sadly, and I think the stuff from the comic books is incomplete as well because there has to be more than that. Even the Wikia version is not complete.

But hey, this is just more of a market opportunity for the complete list!

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Neo Rasa posted:

Is there any Alien game under development at the moment? I'd be surprised if there isn't a more actiony one made for whenever Blomkamp's "Alien 3" is coming out.
This is the newest Alien game I can find.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Neo Rasa posted:

I can't speak for everyone but I liked Soldier a lot more for the movie it potentially could have been than for what it is. I saw it once and enjoyed it overall, figured it could have been a lot better and never paid it much thought since. Looking at this now I'm actually very surprised it got such awful reviews, there's a bajillion lone sci-fi warrior enters some shithole colony planet nd comes into conflict with folks movies out there that make Soldier look like a masterpiece.
Isn't that really a lot of the appeal of Alien 3 as well? I don't think I would like the movie nearly as much without knowing all the sordid background info of how that film made it onto the screen. The Assembly Cut is very rough in places with half-finished segments so you sort of have to grade it on a curve. A good example is the Alien itself. The rod-puppet should look super great and it probably would have if Fox threw a lot of money at the Blu-Ray restoration, but in all the released versions we're stuck with an alien with an awful green tint and hideous 1992 CG shadows. Objectively it does not look good but you still like it for what could have been.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Neo Rasa posted:

It's a totally different situation beause Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was loving awesome.

A Deacon posted:

The plot and setting of Alien 3 was good. It just had an incredibly lovely script and special effects.
I'm not saying Alien 3 is on-par with trash like Soldier, but don't you think the flaws in the movie add to the charm in some way? If you didn't know anything about the behind-the-scenes drama, would you still like it as much?

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
That's, uh, a lot of words about Nemesis but I have to agree, that movie is rad as hell! It's like 4 movies rolled into one so you're really getting a good return on your time. I think I saw it on Hulu but I don't know if they still have it.

Edit: holy poo poo don't watch that linked trailer, it spoils a lot of the insanity

david_a fucked around with this message at 06:34 on Dec 13, 2016

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Showing a transparent Alien would be a nice throwback to the original and seems much more feasible to pull off in 2016 than 1979. For the story details, it's hard to make much of some high-level story recaps that may or may not be true so I'll just wait to see the movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Baronjutter posted:

So why is the alien is alien bio-mechnical then? Those eggs were ancient.
Alien 6: Time Travel