Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

BottledBodhisvata posted:

My biggest problem is that the Prometheus itself looks way too loving sleek. There are holograms and cool monitors with touchscreens...it looks nothing like the Nostromo, and it doesn't feel technologically consistent. My girlfriend tells me that it could be the Prometheus had all cutting-edge technology that was lost with its destruction, but that sounds like a fairly weak excuse to me. If the film was a reboot, that'd be one thing, but it felt off to me and I think they made a mistake in ditching the old-school aesthetic in favor of holographic map projectors (which they never even used to any great effect anyway).

A 1920s top of the line vehicle will look a lot more sleek than an 18 wheeler today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Marketing New Brain posted:

Aliens doesn't even work if you haven't seen the first, and it isn't because the incredibly simple plot is hard to understand, it's that we need to be as afraid of the Alien as Ripley, without that the whole first third of the movie falls flat. It relies on us already having that tension built so it can create an exciting 80's action horror movie and not make it three hours long.

This isn't true because I've seen and enjoyed Aliens but not seen Alien.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Marketing New Brain posted:

I think you seriously misinterpreted what I wrote if what you took away from it was "Aliens is bad unless you saw Alien first".

What you wrote is that the first act of the film falls flat if you haven't seen the original film. It doesn't.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Immortan posted:

What the gently caress? You need to fix this ASAP. :colbert:

The worst part is I think I've only seen the extended cut of Aliens. :v:

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

McDowell posted:

Isn't Tony Shalhoub's character in Galaxy Quest supposed to be perpetually stoned?

That was the original way it was filmed, but it's more interesting if he's not.

Xenomrph posted:

A major component of horror (and being able to empathize with characters in any situation, really) is being able to place yourself in the character's shoes and say "yeah, I'd act similarly"

Probably the most common stereotype for film right now is yelling at horror movie characters that they're "acting stupid".

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Xenomrph posted:

There's acting dumb, and there's acting so dumb it takes the audience out of the movie.

The average audience member probably didn't care. In fact, going by Cinemascore the audience found Prometheus fairly enjoyable.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Why cookie Rocket posted:

I am still waiting for someone to describe the objectively perfect middle ground between the scientists acting like they did in the existing film, and a perfectly realistic depiction of scientists cataloging a brand new once-inhabited planet (running time: 30-75 years). People that dislike the film tend to say "well yeah it can't be perfectly realistic but it shouldn't've been like that!"

So how do you tell that story (or something close, with no irrational scientists) perfectly? Surely it's not an unfilmable premise.

I'll give you a hint: "irrational" is just code for "something I didn't like". It doesn't have any relation to actual realism.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Why cookie Rocket posted:

I dunno man I love Prometheus (saw it three times in the theater; bought a blu-ray player for it) but the characters definitely act in a....heightened manner. I can roll with it because I understand we're just watching a big metaphor and the characters are tropes, but it's definitely not naturalistic.

That's what I want, for a critic to specifically explain how Prometheus could be fixed by making the characters more grounded and without throwing out the basic story outline and core message.

My point is that it's not disliked because of the lack of "realism". People love movies that aren't realistic in any way and find very realistic movies extremely discomforting. People also find actual real scenarios impossible to believe (hence the phrase "Truth is Stranger than Fiction").

The question then becomes "Why use the term 'realistic'?" but that's a bit of a separate tangent.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Xenomrph posted:

What are your thoughts on director's cuts, or "fan edits" (The Phantom Edit, the Hobbit trilogy edited down to one movie, etc)?

Fan edits frequently miss the point. It's funny when they end up reinforcing the complaints people had about the films, though.

Like a frequent complaint about Phantom Menace is that it's full of racial stereotypes, the Neimodians being an example of Asian stereotypes. I forget if it's Phantom Edit or another one, but their solution to this problem is to dub them in an alien language and add subtitles.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Lurdiak posted:

It really wasn't until Alien 3. And people hated the movie, just like they hated 4, which also is inexplicably about Ripley even though she died. Those AVP movies are complete poo poo but I'm pretty sure they made more money than either 3 or 4, so clearly the public didn't care about Ripley all that much.

They all made about the same ($130-170 million).

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Immortan posted:

I wasn't aware that Alien 3's visual effects were nominated for an Academy Award until today. :negative:

Ebert also praised them in his review, I think.

Or maybe I'm thinking of his Phantom Menace review.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

wuffles posted:

I remember renting it on DVD and it being so goddamned dark I couldn't make out anything that was going on with 90% of the shots with low lighting (which was most of the action with the alien). I'd never encountered that issue with a film before, so I thought it was either a really poor stylistic choice or done intentionally to cover up some shoddy effects work. I saw a TV broadcast later and I could actually see what was happening in those scenes which was nice.

The 2014 Godzilla had a similar issue with the home release, which sucks because it's awesome.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Lurdiak posted:

I've read that that's a myth and the real truth is that they were just surprised by the amount of blood and the force of the spray, which was really over the top. They knew something was going to burst out.

The burst part still looks great today, it's just those close ups of the little fucker that don't hold up, in my opinion. Having said that, it's still an amazing scene.

The alternate take looks great too:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-sBROXalU4

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Basebf555 posted:

Yea but the 13 year old kid doesn't know that. You'd think he'd be all about that premise.

Part of it's time of release. No one's clamoring to see Cowboys vs Aliens either although they probably were around the time it was coming out.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

zVxTeflon posted:

Show him the whale movie its the only good old trek movie

That one is bad unless you actually lived in the mid 80s.

It's an interesting look at the early environmental movement though.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

CelticPredator posted:

I like that there are 3 Alien films that connect with each other. It adds up to a really potent story. Canon is good.

They connect but their connection is not integral.

If you watched Aliens without seeing Alien, you would have a great experience. Likewise if you watched Alien without seeing Aliens. If you watched The Hobbit Part 2 without seeing Part 1 you would be fairly confused, and if you watched Parts 1 & 2 but didn't see Part 3 you would feel incredibly blueballed.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Snowman_McK posted:

Wasn't the original idea of the Halloween films that each would stand alone? Only the first would feature Michael Myers, then each would have their own villain/monster? Or am I getting mixed up?

That was the idea of the TV series Heroes.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Lady Naga posted:

Aliens as a game franchise hit the same snag Star Wars did very early on in their lifespans where no one has done anything unique or interesting with the IP, but instead use it as a pre-packaged setting to put your already designed product in. Isolation comes the closest to actually replicating the source material but it's still just a slightly tweaked Amnesia-like.

It seems like replicating the source material would be the opposite of doing something unique with the IP.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

IM_DA_DECIDER posted:

It's loving orange and teal man, how lazy can you get with your colours?

As opposed to just orange in the DVD?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Catfishenfuego posted:

The weirdest thing about District 9 is that it's a film about how Apartheid was bad where the only black people in it are evil criminal voodoo cannibals.

Saying it's about apartheid is implying that it's about issues that no longer exist in South Africa.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Lady Naga posted:

Uh the point is that calling something that references another material a lot a "remake" simply because they share a ton of similarities is incredibly facile. Like Final Fantasy is the perfect example because it certainly calls back to Star Wars a ton but nobody in their right mind would say it's a remake of Star Wars.

I'd call Eragon a remake of Star Wars.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Clipperton posted:

I'll buy that that was the intention, but if so they didn't do a very good job of it.

Every time this comes up, people chime in with real-life examples of scientists doing stuff way dumber than a mapmaker getting lost, and I completely buy that. But when that stuff happens, it doesn't make you nod your head solemnly and say 'O the hubris of man! In our foolish endeavour to comprehend an incomprehensible universe, truly we are like unto toddlers exploring the cutlery drawer."

It just makes you go "pffffft what a fuckin tool, Darwin awards lol". Same with Prometheus. The 'hubris' theme just doesn't come through.

Most people seem to have issues identifying hubris in the protagonists, not just in Prometheus but in general.

Perhaps because they're used to protagonists winning, and obviously if you win with hubris it doesn't really count.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

MrMojok posted:

That's what I thought too.

So why are you agreeing with the guy that says "Anything the director doesn't say is a 'probably borderline crazy interpretation'"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Basebf555 posted:

I do think it takes more creativity and originality to combine one's influences and make something out of them, than it does to make a direct adaptation of a work that already exists.

Transcending mediums takes at least as much creative effort as making a generic Vietnam movie in space.