Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Yeah. That's one of the best scenes in the film. I love the way it slowly reveals the Alien.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Hbomberguy posted:

That SMG post is describing, in detail, why the reveal makes the scene good.

In action movies and horror, there's never just 'a cool thing'. Cool things are cool that way because of the associations they're playing into. That's why a lot of action scenes don't really work - they fail to ground a scene in these associations, and just become 'a man in a costume doing some stuff'. Which can be good too, but usually isn't the most effective storytelling mechanic.

I'm gonna have to look up that bluray set now. I'm more of a DVD/VHS fan because of the appeal of low-res aesthetic where your mind fills things in, but I'm a sucker for good BTS stuff.

Sure, but I don't like the idea of removing the plot and story completely for a reading. That will always feel false. I can agree and see that the film is suggesting that Ripley was in a sort of dream like state, and whatever that stuff was woke her up, in a sense and realized or nightmare was real or something like that.

Not that the alien was injected into her. That's weird.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I love Alien 3

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I have an alien 3 toy

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Now I kinda want to write a short film script about that idea. I could probably film it too. The Alien would be hard, I suppose. But maybe that's how you make it scary again. By not showing it at all?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Hbomberguy posted:

File the serial numbers off. Do it as a this-is-very-clearly-an-Alien-story, but with a different-looking monster you designed yourself that you could plausible make and isn't copyrighted. Sell it.

Also now you owe me two percent

The other thing I'd like to try and make is a fan film that isn't fanwank for the fanboys. I've yet to see a fan film that isn't dipped in crummy injokes or stuff about "The lore".

Also, if you want to help me write it, shoot me a PM. And you can have 10 percent.

(Kinda serious about this. My irrational goal in life is to make an Alien movie)

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

In Alien 3 we did. It just looks like a regular Alien, but a little goopier. It was during the scene when the guy falls into the fan.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It doesn't look like the Derelict ship, no.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

the pyramid people worshiped the predators actually.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Immortan posted:

Uhhh, didn't David leave LV-223 at the end of Prometheus in the Engineer ship? What planet are they talking about?

Paradise.

You should watch the alternate ending. It's dope as hell.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It was a rod puppet, and it was just rushed, bad compositing because the entire production was a complete disaster.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

It actually is, and it's about an hour longer so...

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I don't think anyone's uploaded it. You'll have to buy the 3D collectors blu ray.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

MonsieurChoc posted:

I'd be more interested in an equivalent documentary for Alien.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cl4aKjXhZNY

Ya'll people need to pick up the Alien Anthology blu ray. It's like, 25 bucks right now. No excuse.

I've probably watched those docs as much as I've seen the movies. They're all great. Even Alien Resurrection's!

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

He called the Aliens in Resurrection brown turd cockroaches.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

They wanted to use his stuff, but remember the whole production was rushed so they didn't have time to go meet with Giger to create a fully collaborative design.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2015/11/23/neill-blomkamps-aborted-alien-sequel-wouldve-focused-on-newt

Sounds like a nightmare of garbage.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Lurdiak posted:

You loving rear end in a top hat, this is like you showing me a chocolate almond cake in the dumpster and being like "You're welcome, good thing they threw that poo poo out."
The chocolate sitting in the trash for 25 years, and would've been repackaged for your consumption.

I was just looking out for your health. Eat a different, newer piece of chocolate.

Hicks and Newt and Ripley, Dead and Loving it.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

please don't recon my post.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

My main question is which youtube movie rant host is pushing this fanfiction meme.

It was me. The author of all your pain.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

MonsieurChoc posted:

People keep complaining about the class war themes of Blomkamp's movies, and I feel weird cause I love that about them. People who feel it's too exagerrated/too in your face are obviously not living in the same world I am.

An Alien film about class war would be dope as gently caress.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Baronjutter posted:

There already tons of class stuff in all alien movies though.

I want to see more of W-Y, really.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I wish someone would make a spiritual sequel to Enemy Mine.

Here's your Predators sequel.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Nah. I'd wager that the screenwriters were both aware of AvP and Scott didn't say "Hey wait a minute" because he's never seen them, and doesn't care.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

AvP-R is the worst, and like Ridley Scott, I will not acknowledge people who like it. :colbert:

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

The Alien is super smart.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Snowman_McK posted:

Predators is loving terrible on every level. It doesn't work as a Predator movie, action movie, horror movie, homage or anything. It's a perfect example of a sequel made by someone who loves the original it but doesn't understand it, and also isn't talented enough to do anything new or good with it.

Requiem owns though, and I will fight you.

Yeah I'm gonna fight you.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Labyrinth is the only Alien comic I like.

Also I like the predator comic where it fights a grizzly bear. Because it's dumb.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

No. That's the first Aliens comic run. Labyrinth is about a crazy doctor who experiments with Aliens because he got nabbed by the Aliens once, and survived while his family were impregnated. Which is legit one of my favorite scenes in the Alien series.

That needs to be in a movie.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

"Five O' Clock. Bitch raping time."

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Seems like it yeah. 114 pages sounds right.

When I was a kid, I used to bring that book in all the time to draw aliens out of. In hindsight, that was probably mega weird, considering the content inside.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Harime Nui posted:

When I got to the part about the aliens forcing the dude to have sex with his delimbed mother I remembered that I had read the novelization at age 11

It's Labyrinth. A comic book I brought to school when I was 8.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Says you. I very much remember Walton Goggins' death scene. It owns.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Predators was so much fun in the theater. The crowed was into it, and everyone was cheering.

I can't wait for Shane Black's Predator movie.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Snowman_McK posted:

That's the perfect example of the film's shortcomings. It's a blatant homage to Billy's death in the first Predator, but while that was a futile gesture, and he doesn't even die on screen, the small man with a short sword successfully swordfights a giant Alien. It 'reimagines' the scene into something completely loving toothless.

Well yes. This is a big issue I have with the movie. And most Alien/Predator sequels. They rely way too much on nods and references. It's really annoying.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Sure. But I still resent the Alien/Predator movies for doing it. They should aspire to something greater.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Most of the things that you refer to as 'nods and references' are just themes.

Only because you like them and want them to be.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m41NA54o9n8

vs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZ-q9SFDd-Y

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I mean...look who produced it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Xenomrph posted:

It's kind of a low-hanging-fruit if you're gonna give your honorable yakuza/samurai character the most stereotypical name possible.

Having said that I don't think they actually say his name in the movie, but that's true of several of the characters.

It's a reference to Hattori Hanzo. From Kill Bill.

The producer is good friends with the director of that picture, if you recall.

Also, the only characters named in the film are Nikoli, Royce and Isabelle.