Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
I'm actually not sure if I've seen the Assembly Cut. I've seen two cuts of Alien 3; the theatrical version and some sort of director's cut that changed some things. The one detail in the latter that I remember was that the android Weyland at the end turned out to be human instead. Was that in more than just the Assembly cut?

I remember liking the cut I saw better than the theatrical one, but liking the original ending sequence better - Weyland just being another Bishop and Ripley holding in the chestburster felt like a fitting moment to cap off the trilogy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Xenomrph posted:

I also much prefer the ending in the theatrical cut showing the Queen Chestburster popping out of Ripley, and a large part of that is the music. Here's the theatrical version of the scene:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eyZ4nwg7GgE

Here's the Assembly Cut:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L3vbfkRB6gQ

The Assembly Cut really truncates the (awesome) soundtrack, and once you know what to listen for in the theatrical cut, it's really jarring in the Assembly Cut (the music edit happens at about the 1:58 mark).

So this is weird as poo poo for me because I have remembered this wrong for years; I thought for a long time that the theatrical cut implied Weyland was an android but the Assembly cut changed him to human, and I remember really disliking that change. I still prefer to think of it that way anyway because dude just stands up with his ear hanging off like it's no biggie.

Xenomrph posted:

And he's not wrong that an AvP movie *could* be done well, it just hasn't yet.

I read that Dark Horse is throwing its hat into the comic movie franchise ring, so it's not all that far-fetched that they'd be the ones to do it right someday. They just needed to not set them on Earth in the present.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

CelticPredator posted:

I would like a fan edit of Prometheus where it adds back the deleted scenes because I think they do help the film. But I have no interest in any that preserve “””””the canon”””” or “my head canon” poo poo.

I love ridley’s vision.
That exists and I've seen a cut of it, though I don't remember where I found it. They incorporated all the shorts, but the deleted scenes had workprint VFX or just green screen backgrounds where they never got to the effects at all. There were also some visible wires in action scenes. But if you can get past that, an extended cut is out there.

The first time I saw the movie I felt like it went in too many directions, but after a rewatch years later I got what they were trying to do with the unpredictability of the slime. It kind of spins the whole franchise in a different light when you consider that these things come from countless mutations, experimented on and scrapped until they got their perfect weapon. I think that would be an interesting direction for an anthology series in this universe; following different mutations and seeing what evolves. I'm picturing someone evolving mounts for combat, something with lower acid content that can serve as a food source, another as a domesticated pet, etc.