Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Ferrinus posted:

In the first place this is just Prometheus "Kirk Drift". Even getting close to the mutant worm doesn't represent some kind of goofy clown routine for someone wearing a spacesuit that can withstand exposure to a storm of violent shrapnel who's addressing a creature that's about two or three fingers thick. Even if we ignore the fact that Milburn was A) trying to reassure his obviously-scared crush and B) high at the time, it would be stupid to imagine that a small-to-medium-sized snake can break your arm and puncture your armor in the space of seconds through main force. These guys aren't idiots; they just don't know they're in a horror movie.

Similarly, you don't know what the machine Shaw was using is or how it normally operates on corpses which haven't been injected with the primordial alchemical change-agent. You're like, argh, if these characters had been smarter they wouldn't have triggered the mummy's curse! But actually it was precisely not believing in curses that got them into this predicament.

HOWEVER. Let's say they are idiots, as you describe. Your approach to figuring out how and why remains completely bizarre and unworkable. There's no higher authority who can reassure you that your interpretation of the events onscreen is somehow correct or sanctioned. There's no "supposed to be". You can either support a conclusion with the courage of your convictions or shrug and give up out of lack of interest, but just because you, personally, can't figure out what's going on, that doesn't mean that-- hang on, let me see if I can dig a funny tweet I saw up.

Okay, bad news, I can't find it, but it was a scene from Scarface with an overlay of an animated face and a sort of news ticker, and the news ticker was like "THESE ACTIONS ARE BAD, YOU SHOULD NOT IDOLIZE HIM" as he shot some guys with a machine gun. Media doesn't work that way.

It is interesting watching people inadvertently agree with the line of reasoning that led to the "horror and sci-fi cannot overlap" tweet.

"Fun Fact: The Blockbuster Video Store Handbook historically categorized Alien in the sci-fi section."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

This country executed over 4000 people via electrocution, less than 2% were considered “botched” and of those botched executions, some heads caught fire and sparked, none were recorded as exploding.

But your friend is pretty hilarious!

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Meanwhile the colonial marines show up into a definitely probable hostile environment in sleeveless tank tops

In the middle of a storm

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Cameron's future definitely has no PPE or Labor Union protections for space workers, the company operates in the same way current billionaires/conglomerates operate.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Companies like Coca-Cola and Nestle literally payrolled death squads in the 80s and 90s to murder labor leaders and union organizers. This is nothing new.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Just like you don't see Vickers choosing the class dropouts. Where were the pleas about the edge for that one?

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Mister Speaker posted:

I thought I'd seen everything ITT when it came to disingenuous arguments and leaps of logic, but people are going to awfully funny lengths to defend a giant alien head exploding in what is clearly meant to be nothing more than a shocking scene.

Wait, is it a shocking scene, or a stupid scene? Why are you changing it up now?

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

So we're back to "the science is bad" by noted scientist Splicer.

At least no one's hanging their hat on the "human heads totally explode via electricity" talking point anymore (give it a couple months and it'll be parroted again, no doubt).

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Sorry, I didn't realize you spoke for every goon who clung onto the "heads explode via electricity" talking point.

They're all just joking, bro!

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

MrMojok posted:

As a former Marine I have to say that deploying into an environment where harmful chemicals (weaponized or otherwise) may be present without proper protective equipment or with lovely protective equipment, is absolutely realistic

This scene cracked me up when I first saw Generation: Kill

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TL7oS7COpec

Look at all those sleeveless tank tops!

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

The "Bug Hunt" refers to the organized labor they've been sent to stamp out and get the machine back up and running.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

describing events on the screen = angry contrarian text

that's almost as good as the goon talking about enemy posts.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I originally had Darkstar on my double feature playlist paired up with Alien but thought it was too on the nose.

ruddiger posted:

Alien/Alien 2: On Earth (1980)
Aliens/Demons 2 (1986)
Alien3/The Devils (1971)
Alien: Resurrection/M3GAN (2022)
Prometheus/The Martian (2015)
Alien Covenant/Re-Animator (1985)
Predator/Sorcerer (1977)
Predator 2/Marked For Death (1990)
Predators/Turkey Shoot (1982)
The Predator/Inglorious Bastards (1978)
Prey/Hostiles (2017)
Alien v Predator/Abbot & Costello Meet Frankenstein (1948)
Alien v Predator: Requiem/Dollman v Demonic Toys (1993)

Kinda rethinking the Prometheus/Martian pairing since I kinda already did that with my Ridley Scott Alien Universe watch order, Frankenstein would work really well considering the surtitle of the book.

ruddiger posted:

Preferred Alien universe watching order

Alien
Blade Runner
Blackhawk Down
Prometheus
The Martian
Alien Covenant

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Apr 7, 2023

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

mllaneza posted:

How about Outland? Similar vibes to the Alien series in a lot of ways: blue collar workers in space exploited by The Company, and some body horror with freaky drug effects.

Never heard of it, but after watching the trailer I added it to the top of my watchlist.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mYc2GQyrAlw

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Neo Rasa posted:

It's real good and looks awesome.

Maybe consider Forbidden World/MUTANT to double feature with Resurrection (the cut called MUTANT is a little better because there's some more runtime of the characters joking around and stuff but either is good).

Those are both good, but I want to throw another contender in the ring, Critters 4, with Angela Bassett and Brad Dourif running a proto-firefly crew. I still think M3GAN would work as a double bill since it hits on both hyper capitalism and the mirroring of AI themes with Megan and Call.

I think it was Basebf555 who originally was looking for the double feature pairings, I wish we got more suggestions before columbo goon got obsessed with actors trying to take physical samples from a cgi prop.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Looks less Clone Wars and more Starship Troopers Chronicles

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMJ7S4iwXSc

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

https://twitter.com/OnlyAWorldAway/status/1651948415876571136?s=20

hell yeah I wanna see some more Prometheus-inspired cryptid/conspiracy poo poo

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

his divine shadow

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Fil5000 posted:

You one hundred percent could make that creepy but you'd need like a contortionist who could do something weird with their limbs instead of just shuffling along.

Reminds me of breakdancing dr zaius

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Gripweed posted:

It’s a shame Alien started in space so they can’t do a movie that’s “Alien in space”. They could still do “Alien on the internet” though.

Isn’t that Virus

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Speaking of Logan Marshal Green, I remember saying he and the guy who played Dario in Game of Thrones, Michael Huisman, looked a bit alike, and was pleasantly surprised when they were both cast in the Invitation together. Now someone has to cast both those two and Tom Hardy in the same thing to play triplets in something.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

my comic shop was doing a pretty big sale so decided to pick up the first five issues of the marvel Alien and Predator comics, only to find out when I finally cracked them open to read that they’ve already released multiple mini series with multiple variant covers and nothing to discern which is which on the covers so I got four incomplete stories. Guess I’m never going to finish reading or buying another one of these bait and switch books.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

wuffles posted:

*watching the back-burster scene*

this is barely gory at all

the guy only barfed up all his blood with the neomorph and not his physical guts, Ridley’s lost his edge.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

WHY BONER NOW posted:

I want to see a fat predator. Like on a rascal scooter

You’re in luck, Elon just started live streaming

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Ripley rolled crit damage while buffing out her reduce damage stats

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

The alien queen mother or whatever it was called showed up in the dark horse comics series Alien Earth War which ended up getting rewritten in later collections because it had Newt and Hicks in it, they end up getting renamed so alien nerds could reconcile it into their canon, the alien civil war was in another comic called Aliens Genocide, both series were continuing storylines that were extensions of the dark horse series which had earth get infested with aliens. The eggs as a delicacy was another story that showed up in the anthology comic dark horse presents but isn’t considered in continuity, whatever that’s supposed to mean for a comic series already written out of continuity.

The current marvel comics are doing their own thing in order to kill residuals going to any of the creatives involved in the dark horse stories.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Female War is the aforementioned rewrite of Earth War, renaming Newt and co. in the wake of Alien3.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Never seen anything as cruel as trying to trick someone into reading fire and stone.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I was watching Prometheus the other day and totally forgot Mandolrian stole the flute bit.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

It’s pretty funny that bishop “can’t harm people” but no one ever mentions the psychological harm that is clearly inflicted.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Cessna posted:

I'm sure Asimov wrote about a dozen books on that which I will be sure not to read.

Who needs those when there’s Wikipedia and weyland yutani tech manuals

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

The missed joke is that the previous science officer was a robot too. Bishops line about the twitchiness of the older model (not a standalone unit but a whole production line made for a specific role), furthers that.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Ferrinus posted:

it's just another Burkes! it's Burkes all the way down!!

That’s the beauty of Burke though isn’t it? He’s the ideological template of not just someone who works for the Company but the template of anyone who thrives in any company under capitalism. That he fails and is made the scapegoat adheres to that template, it’s never the fault of the capitalist institution, it’s the fault of the individual who fails that institution by not succeeding. See: Charlie Wilson’s War, the boss with hair plugs in the Cable Guy, or Venkman in Ghostbusters.

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Jan 5, 2024

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Schwarzwald posted:

Dark Star has a handful of good jokes and one or two solid shots, but even for Carpenter its a film on a budget. Most damningly it's pacing is surprisingly languid. Not my favorite, but it has some charm and is solid entry in the "blue collar work sucks, even in space" genre.

Darkstar feels like the main skit in a Kentucky Fried Movie sequel.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Joe Chill posted:

That's sortof my the point in bold. The movies shift from the theme of being a cog in the machine for corporate/institutional power to problems of how corporations are run. If the corporate culture/rules changed, there wouldn't be a problem anymore?

Cameron’s fear of being ideologically critical runs both ways. See: Aliens constantly being professed as a “Vietnam allegory” while its military cast of characters seem like they came straight out of weebalos with everyone’s favorite tough big brother Apone replacing the cruelly dehumanizing drill instructors and the little rascals Hudson and Vasquez replacing the hardcore racists and war criminals from other cinematic depictions of Vietnam.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I recognize that song and dance.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

While it’s not wrong to say that the film is more concerned with power dynamics than with the exact mechanism of creation, it’s more accurate to say that creation is presented as nothing but this power dynamics. The bald dudes are creators by ‘virtue’ of their exercise of power over those deemed lesser.

That’s the whole point of the analogy to Weyland: Weyland is credited as the creator of David - but he probably didn’t invent androids singlehandedly, and absolutely didn’t come up with all the necessary preconditions of industrialization, computer technology, etc. If anything, the video of Weyland chilling on Mars evokes Musk poo poo - implying that he just bought some other robotics company and declared himself the founder retroactively. In any case, Weyland’s status as creator is expressed purely through his ownership of and control over David. ‘Wash my feet, pour my tea,’ etc.

What this means is that - if the bald dudes wish to bake an apple pie from scratch - it’s strictly unnecessary for them to first manifest a whole universe. It’s not only enormously implausible for them to have done so, but redundant when they can get the same result (e.g. veneration by idiots) for a minuscule fraction of the effort. They’re ‘gods’ but not God - as Ridley Scott also expressed in his Exodus adaptation. The bald dudes have, themselves, built a temple devoted to the worship of a big stone head.

So this isn’t just a stronger reading based on the scientific accuracy, but going into the philosophical. Is God a literally-existing dude who, like, uses technology to accomplish His miracles? No! What does God need with a starship?

Were blade runner replicants referenced in the Ridley movies? I could’ve sworn there’s some cross pollination with those movies, maybe it was weyland yutani being referenced in br2049.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

There’s a swarm of facehuggers in avp