Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Sarah's vision can also be seen as a self-fulfilling prophecy. Reese comes from the future and tells her the gospel. She becomes a true believer but inadvertently contributes to its fulfillment by easing into her (in her mind) predetermined role as set by Reese's story of the future, which falls in line with how she becomes an agent of escalation when going on the offensive at the Dyson residence.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Three posts in a row talking about nothing but themes and characters from the movies yet we're the ones making GBS threads up this thread. Riiiiiiiiight.

Sorry we interrupted your fantasy scenarios on what could've been for your fan-fiction mind movies.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Groovelord Neato posted:

i wasn't talking about you. what the gently caress is that post.

it's funny considering what i was talking bout tho.

All I see is you interrupting the conversation by talking about other goons while hiding behind the facade of some point that exists only in your imagination (while the whole thread applauded no doubt). Quite frankly all the dick riding is really unbecoming.

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 08:59 on Aug 13, 2016

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Groovelord Neato posted:

is this weren't cd i'd assume that was clever agreement with me.

There's no agreement in this thread when it becomes about petty snipes. What was your point before your boring snap at SMG? A forums equivalent of a "let me google that for you" post. And then the "calm and cool goon" follow up responses after interrupting the conversation for being called out on it. I can see why you earnestly post in the nice guys.txt thread. Goons who unironically whine about CD outside of it while contributing a hefty post size to it themselves seems to be par for the course.

Xenomrph posted:

I can't believe I'm going to say this but here we go anyway: SMG is right and Groovelord is wrong...

WHO loving CARES. Stop making it about your internet friends. You're not agreeing with SMG. You're agreeing with the movie and the ideas it presents. You're no longer agreeing with the credits on the back of the DVD case or the liner notes or the behind the scenes featurettes or the toy commercials or your wishes of fantasy plotlines. You're agreeing with what's presented on the screen, nothing less.

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 18:49 on Aug 13, 2016

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I was actually trying to read that thread when I happened to see your name and realized it was the same thread shitter. Just a terrible coincidence, but please let it keep feeding your ego.

E: T2 is by definition a sequel you loving moron. I shouldn't have to spell it out. Since the number's right in the title. It's also why Aliens is not called Alien 2

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Aug 13, 2016

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Xenomrph posted:

Maybe an Aliens coloring book will help everyone relax?

I mean, you know if I hadn't made fun of him for it, he'd be posting about how it was already pre-ordered, and we'd get to look forward to the in-depth review when he takes scans of his colored pages and corrects any plot contradictions it might have from the movies ("This coloring book says Apone and Ripley were best friends who share everything when the movie made them passing work acquaintances at best!").

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Those PMs aren't a conversation. They're asking you info they could get off an Amazon review site. You might as well be Google or a Wikipedia page at that point.

Also you're not discussing the movie. You're getting hyped about hoping your favorite action figure shows up in the next Alien movie.

Back to trading card chat. :)

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Tenzarin posted:

adorable.

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Aug 15, 2016

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

No one's so dense that they need it pointed out that a coloring book with a throbbing penis-monster on the cover isn't an attempt at levity at the expense of this.

The longest discussion before we started talking about pre-destiny themes/terminator/ripley was about trading cards.

It wasn't levity. It was an addict joking about shooting up.

Also keep in mind it was Groovelord making GBS threads on the discussion that started this detail. No one poo poo'd on you guys when you dumped your box of trading cards on the floor and got all excited to relive the third grade.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Xenomrph posted:

If you can't stop and laugh about where the franchise has been and where it's going every once in a while, then I dunno man.

Again, no one's saying you can't. Just because I call you an empty http://lmgtfy.com poster doesn't mean you can't keep posting links to Spaceballs Aliens the breakfast cereal, but on the same hand when some niceguy.txt goon starts trying to poo poo on the conversation, where are the posts condemning that? There aren't any because it's become a meme to poo poo on anything other than "I liked when my favorite character showed up" or "here are my critical opinions on the special fx of the movie" lines of thinking.

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Aug 15, 2016

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Pretty sure there was a poster earlier who was asking about similar themes of humanity and questions of self-identity through Ridley's movies and they completely blanked on Blade Runner, so questions like that are a step up actually.

Also, as far as intricate set design, Hannibal utilized every inch of Venice Florence (the scene at the opera, holy poo poo), American Gangster was a period piece which Ridley went into pain staking detail to get that 70s Harlem look right, Body of Lies is supposed to take place in the middle east, but Morrocco and the US are pretty unnoticeable stand-ins.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IYwv7-YkhKs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgOO8Z-FoKY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GJz6eFgwgkA

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Sep 26, 2016

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Gargamel Gibson posted:

I loved him as Johnny Ryall in Fight For Your Right Revisited. Probably his finest work.

At first I thought that said Fight For Your Life and thought they remade that hosed up movie, but with Orlando Bloom.

Trailer's not safe for work.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hH0aKfbm8q0

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Tenzarin posted:

I heard they finished shooting Prometheus 2, I hope it was a head shot.

I heard the sequel's going to star your mom and have nothing but head shots.

She's gonna get that black goo in her eye.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Paolomania posted:

If you like overwrought, predictable religious metaphor that takes itself way too seriously and all at a plodding pace. This is why I like Prometheus, which has the levity to spew a hot load of black goo on anything self-serious when dealing with the same subject matter.

Projecting much? 3 had just as much subtext as Prometheus, and just as much levity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCTd1XHbliU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y_mlCe_yKXk

I wish I could find the "You can say poo poo, it ain't against God" scene, that's a good one too. Or when Morse and that other guy run into each other in the tunnels and start fake scaring each other to cut the tension.

Alien 3 came out in 1992, I saw it opening day when I was 12 and enjoyed it. I even remember going to Tower Records after the movie and stumbling across Giger's Necronomicon for the very first time and being awe struck by the artwork. I remember the teaser too, but didn't give a poo poo about colonial marines or EARTH WAR or whatever. I was just glad we got to visit a new part of this universe.

Also, it goes Charles S. Dutton > Yaphet Kotto > Apone.

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Sep 26, 2016

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I dunno, it doesn't really feel anything like a slasher movie.

if you wanted to be disparaging, comparing it to one of those Jaws-knockoff killer animal movies like Grizzly or Orca feels more apt.

Cujo would be a better analogy. There's a reason why the alien bursts from man's best friend and is terrorizing the one woman on a planet full of men.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Baronjutter posted:

Yeah, the whole foundry comes back to life just to help kill the alien in the end. The alien landing woke the whole colony out from its coma. The residents were all essentially already dead, as far as them selves and greater society were concerned. Killing the alien let them be alive and accomplish something, and finally put the whole planet out of its misery.

But did it really? To build on that, I think the key thing we're forgetting here is that the guys on the planet are not prisoners. They voluntarily stayed behind, like monks in the countryside, so that society couldn't corrupt their spiritual journey to enlightenment. The alien is an agent of escalation, but to say that it put them out of their misery is akin to saying we should put poors and undesirables out of their misery because their lifestyle doesn't jive with conventional standards (an extreme example, but you get what I'm saying). I think it's more a commentary on how isolated societies can't achieve enlightenment, because true enlightenment comes from learning and understanding the world, ne, universe around you, which you can't do when you're shut off from everything else. Charles S. Dutton has to "reteach" some of the brothers after their failed assault on Ripley in the junkyard. He doesn't lock them up or put them out of their misery, he tries to bring them back in God's graces (and does, which is even more evident in the Assembly Cut, as it's the lead rapist who sacrifices himself to trap the alien in the vaults below). The third act is them realizing that their self-imposed isolation isn't the way to be truly saved, it's to face the unknowns of the universe head-on, death be damned. The outcome (death) is the same whether they act or just sit around and do nothing (like they've been doing the past however many years) in the grand scheme of things, but they find themselves and their salvation in confronting the unknown, no matter the outcome.

There's something there too, with how the Alien is brought to the planet by basically the Butterfly Effect, which is pretty much saying "hide all you want, the universe will eventually find you."

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Sep 28, 2016

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Basebf555 posted:

I want an Alien vs. Predator vs. Indiana Jones movie.

I'm surprised Dark Horse never made this.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Temple of Doom was essentially Indiana Jones vs. Mondo Cane (even though, technically, the eating monkey brains thing I think was actually featured in one of the Faces of Death movies).

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Sep 30, 2016

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

banned from Starbucks posted:

Since everyone Ripley knew is long gone by Aliens we can assume poor Jones starved to death in that tiny rear end apartment.

banned from Starbucks posted:

I thought he was going for a pussy eating joke myself

Pussy ate itself.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Hodgepodge posted:

I'm not sure I'd give the xenomorphs good odds against an equal number of large jungle cats, to be honest.

Most jungle cats asphyxiate their kills, right? Plus, y'know, the whole acid for blood thing.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

YOU'RE loving OUT A loving ALIEN!

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

NarkyBark posted:

A scene I def would've kept in was one where the captain discusses a previous mission he had. It makes his exposition dump later on at least not be so random. I also preferred the alien Fiefeld creature, much creepier looking. I also like the extended engineer-Shaw sequence at the end. Doesn't do anything for the story but makes it feel not so rushed.

The alien fiefeld should've been left in for sure, I loved that his suit was fusing to his body too, evoking the bio-organic giger feel.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

CelticPredator posted:

Xenomrph is right.

xenomrph is right in that he quoted a bunch of ancillary details (like the detail from a video game retroactively adding information, which suspiciously sounds like a retcon...) to make it sound official. The more space jargon you use to try and make it fit into some official alien universe mythology is missing the point the movie itself is trying to make.

Most of xeno's posts read like "No, actually..." then he pretty much parrots back what you originally said with a sprinkling of expanded universe to make it sound good.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Xenomrph posted:

You realize that Basebf555 specifically asked me what the expanded universe says, right?

If by me adding info you mean the Alien Isolation characters switching off the Derelict's beacon, it's still not a retcon because the beacon detail isn't new. In the script for 'Alien', Dallas switches it off after he climbs on the Space Jockey's corpse. Or if you don't like that one, in James Cameron's notes and drafts for 'Aliens', the Derelict gets damaged by a lava flow between the events of the two movies (and the Derelict is visibly damaged in the one scene you see it) and it damages the beacon. That was his explanation for why the colonists never detected a beacon despite being like 20 miles from it.

Take your pick, really. :)

The level in Isolation where you explore the Derelict is loving fantastic and one of the highlights of the game.

You realize your post reads exactly like how I said it does? "Well actually..." and then you go into a bunch of info extracted from sources that are not the movies themselves. I never said you weren't answering baseb's question, I'm just pointing out how "right" your posts usually are.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

No; it's that comparison to Alien makes the 'expanded universe' look worse.

It's bad form to fill in a nonexistent plot hole, created through trouble reading.

Completely agreed. The omission of detail is just as important as the detail that's provided. Scott left those details out for a reason. I'll never understand the pedantic need to know every detail or assign a formula for every unspecified detail in a movie. A movie is the sum of its parts, it's true, but fans trying to tie every end together ruins what the film set out to do. Scott didn't direct alien for it to be a fan-obsessed franchise or for a bunch of failed genre writers to latch onto a film series that's not wars or trek.

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Nov 17, 2016

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

xeno sees it as the Company when it's really just the company.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I hope this movie generates even more heat than Prometheus. Bring on airborne spore infections and aliens calling your mom on the phone like in the original script.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Sam Kieth took a story about super serious hoorah space marine jack off bullshit and turned it into something you'd find in a Heavy Metal magazine or a Fabulous Furry Freak Bros comic. His artwork's the only sufferable thing about that mini series.

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Nov 30, 2016

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Xenomrph posted:

You're right, the miniseries is pretty drat bad to begin with, but his art sure wasn't doing it any favors. I mean I guess you could make the case that he was the only one who recognized how dumb the whole thing was, and his art reflects that. :v:

Art cannot be dumb, only the opinions people extract from it. Especially when they use adjectives like "dumb."

I honestly don't know how you can say his art is "dumb" in that book then turn around and say you're not critiquing his art style as he's been drawing the same way for the past 30 years. Just because he didn't draw your idea of an alien on-model, it's deemed "bad" which is a shame.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Xenomrph posted:

I didn't say his artwork was dumb; if you paid attention to what I wrote, you'd recognize that I was agreeing with you.

I can easily say that someone's art style, however consistent, doesn't fit with a given story, topic, whatever. In fact, that's exactly what I did. It's the same criticism levied against Alien Resurrection when people say Jeunet's directing or Whedon's writing are a problem with the film, for example.

Maybe you're the one who's "dumb"?

Considering you're still posting in your formulaic "well actually..." prose without any sense of irony, I'll just let the text speak for itself.

UmOk posted:

Sam Keith is my favorite comic artist of all time. But in all honesty he probably wasn't the best choice for an Alien comic. His style is a bit too exaggerated.

I applaud Dark Horse for thinking outside the box when it came to some of the art talent they got for some of those early Aliens books. The stories are the worst kind of fanficy tripe (scientists and army people wants to play with aliens so fans can live vicariously through self-insert characters set in a serialized pulp format), but they attracted some real talent when it came to the art chores. Walter Simonson, Kelly Jones, Nelson, and Sam Kieth on those early runs are the only memorable things about those books.

e: apparently Heavy Metal actually printed the original Simonson book, which brings back my comparison to Sam Kieth's 70s alt comix influenced artwork.

e2: and just for future reference, you guys are spelling Kieth's last name wrong.

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Nov 30, 2016

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

xeno pedantically respond to every single post in this thread like he had some hand in creating the property or is some officially "unofficial" source or some other goofy rear end self-imposed title, yet all he does is paste wiki info, discards any parts of his fantinuity that he doesn't like, and is generally confused about his own posts.

quote:

Nah, just that his Aliens art was pretty drat bad.

You're straight up calling Kieth's artwork bad here, there's no other way to parse this basic rear end sentence, he didn't change up his artstyle specifically for this one book. He drew the book like he draws everything else. He didn't change his artwork style after he finished the book either. He carried that same style on the Maxx. You say you don't like it because his "art style, however consistent, doesn't fit with a given story, topic, whatever" but I ask, what makes artwork "fit" other than your preconceived notions on what it should or shouldn't be?

You either like Kieth's artwork or you don't. It's not that I don't like xeno, it's that I can't stand opinions that sit on the fence, which most super fan opinions do because they're so drat thirsty for anything with their favorite brand slapped on the side, but anything that takes that brand and does something drastically anti-brand like is met with disdain and contempt by them, yet they're first ones crying about getting new and unique stories out of the franchise (see: star wars fans).

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Nov 30, 2016

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Especially when it follows a big block of text that ultimately says nothing (which are 90% of xeno's posts, clearly it's quantity over quality with the guy).

Baronjutter posted:

Xeno is the least cine-d poster here and thus the most tolerable by far :)

The only good thread in cine-d is the horror movie thread, guess how many posts xeno has in that thread in relation to this one?

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Nov 30, 2016

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Xenomrph posted:

I'll tone down the smileys - I can see how it can seem snarky or grating.

I can't help it if you're illiterate. Like others are telling you, put me on ignore if you consistently don't like my posts, rather than making GBS threads up the thread with your grudge.

lol you're literally the only one on that page bringing up putting people on ignore. Sorry you can' t deal with my posts the same way you deal with continuity that doesn't jive with your fandom. And it's not a grudge. I'm expressing my opinions on people's misconceptions of their supposed favorite movies. Like this poo poo right here

quote:

The quips work in Aliens because it emphasizes how hosed the characters are when the poo poo hits the fan, it's the contrast that shows that some of the characters are all talk.
In Resurrection you've got Whedon-quips coming out of Johner's mouth every time he talks... It undermines the tension because he's clearly untouchable and even he knows it.

is a garbage, personally skewed opinion. "Only the quips I like work, because [reasons]"

Hudson is non-stop quipping the moment he's introduced and doesn't stop all the way up til he gets pulled through the grate (OH YOU WANT SOME TOO), it's not the "quips" or the betrayal of tone that's the problem. It's the viewer who's confused when Resurrection doesn't have the same "tone" of the previous movies. This is pretty important, considering the thread topic we're in. Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" may be loving awesome, but Alien 3 "Theatrical Cut" is the true thematic sequel to Ridley's Alien, despite the negative reactions from fans at the time of its release and all the mental hurdles Alien fans need to jump through to make it fit in their head canon.

quote:

Edit-- 'Predator' has the same effect, when you've got Dutch's team thrashing the rebel camp, and then Hawkins gets offed and they try to keep up the facade, and then Blain bites it and they start to realize they aren't the biggest kids on the block anymore. Quippy works best as a contrast, not as a universal writing style.

"You are one ugly motherfucker."

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Dec 1, 2016

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

GonSmithe posted:

Instead of talking about dumb things, let's talk about how this is one of the best shots in cinema history.

It's so good.

Cats are predators by nature, Jones sees the relationship between the alien and Harry Dean Stanton in that scene the same way he sees his own relationship with Ripley.

Also, that shot is thematically similar to this guy.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

He specifically says he's going to have some fun.

The predator plays with its prey the way cats play with theirs. The same way the alien played Stanton (hiding in plain sight). It may read like apathy to some, but at its bare basics, its one predator watching another predator at work.

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Dec 1, 2016

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

In Aliens Spunkmeyer puts his hand in goo, and in the next scene, he's an alien attacking Ferro. He even responds by name.

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Dec 1, 2016

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I too watch movies in a half-invested state and form half-baked opinions off of my fragmented memory of what I think I watched. :shepface:

People who walk out of movies are savages, and are just as bad people who leave sporting events early. I don't give a gently caress if it's a blow out and my favorite player suffered a season-ending injury in the first minute, I'm still gonna watch that game.

Can't wait to see how many people in this thread admit to texting during movies or constantly checking their phone too (this goes for sitting at home too).

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Dec 1, 2016

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Jenner posted:

I still think the steak to movie comparison is not the best. But whatever, I'm a jerk.

I watched Mortal Kombat: Annihilation (not in theaters) and it was bad. At one point in the movie you can see the stage lighting and a camera on screen.

You could've watched an open matte version of it. For some movies, when they crop it for television, they're actually just taking off the 2.35 or 1.78 mattes to open up the picture. I forgot what tv show it was, but when they were remastering it for HD, they had the reverse problem, where they took off the 1:33 matte to open up the picture for 1.78 and you could see all the production magic going on off to the side of the frame. They had to paint out lights and equipment, or actors standing just off camera waiting for the marker cue when all that stuff was revealed when they opened up the matte. It may have been for the remastering of Sopranos, but I'm not 100% positive on that.

You can see all the production lighting on Evil Dead 2, yet no one ever brings that up when talking about production equipment taking you out of a movie. They didn't even bother hiding the film gear in a lot of scenes.

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Dec 2, 2016

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

My favorite example of this is in the 1983 Sean Penn movie, Bad Boys. During the climactic final fight scene between Sean Penn and Esai Morales, there's this great shot.

I didn't notice the camera man until maybe a few years ago, and by that time, I must've seen the movie a million billion times. I still gloss over him sometimes during the scene, the drama between the two leads is so thick in that scene, it blurs everything else out.

ruddiger fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Dec 3, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

brocked posted:

This nightmarish derail has burst out of this thread's chest like... I dunno, something

It's better than talking about trying to scam a couple bucks out of a movie theater or passing judgment on a movie you half-watched/remembered like that's something to be proud of.