Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Do you like Alien 3 "Assembly Cut"?
Yes, Alien 3 "Assembly Cut" was tits.
No, Alien and Aliens are the only valid Alien films.
Nah gently caress you Alien 3 sucks in all its forms.
View Results

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
The theatrical cut of Alien 3 is pretty bad considering that there are people that simply just disappear with no mention of them ever again.

Also, this is what you get when you can't let go of how Alien 3 began.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mquByeLRYNM

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

From 1:00-onward you could just play Yakety Sax.

Checks out.

http://youtubedoubler.com/?video1=h...Name=blackguy32

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Martman posted:

I'm just picturing Ivan Ooze from the Power Rangers Movie.

I never realized that Paul Freeman played as both Belloch from Indiana Jones and Ivan Ooze.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Slashrat posted:

They probably did send someone to check but, not knowing the exact origin of the signal or the Nostromo's point of desctruction, found nothing until the independent salvage crew stumbled across the black box 15 years later, used it to backtrack to LV-426 and there shut the beacon off.

Someone at the company probably had a general idea about what they were looking for out there however, as in Isolation they initially just send Amanda & co on the Torrens when alerted that the black box is recovered, but when being alerted to the biohazard aboard Sevastopol while the Torrens is in transit, they immediately buy out the entire station and remotely repurpose the AI to protect the biohazard, with no specific knowledge being transmitted about the nature of it. That's not a casual investment to make.

My personal pet theory is that people within the company knew they were looking for some sort of alien organism before the Nostromo set out, and that it could probably be found somewhere in the region. Nostromo might not even be the only ship going through that had an android placed on board at the last minute, and that's why its disappearance was written off as a coincidence that wasn't exhaustively investigated.

The bigger question for me is why the Company (or high-ranking people within it) are so intent on acquiring the xeno. I don't buy for a minute that it is just as a bio-weapon (I imagine that it is just the first use that springs to mind to people bringing it up in the movies, but who are otherwise ignorant of the actual plans to acquire the xenos). Considering its biological advantages (extremely rapid growth for example) and supposedly being genetically compatible with humans, I wouldn't be surprised if they want it for study into how to enhance human biology.

They want it so they can turn it into a cyborg with sweet dual plasma launchers on each arm complete with laser guided tracking.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

In other words, it's an attempt at reconciling the fundamental ideological incompatibility between Alien and Aliens by forcing Scott into the Cameron box. "Burke did it, because he got too greedy!"

I do really like this point, because Ash is loving fascinated with the thing and you can tell that he is doing it for far more than simply company orders or to obtain a shiny new bioweapon. You can easily read elements of evolution into his monologue at the end.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

I thought Darkness Falls was ok, but I think that was because I don't watch many horror movies, and I saw it with my crush at the time.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

I probably should watch this again, because there was a bunch of poo poo that flew by me. Like, I had no idea that Lope and Hallet were a couple until looking up stuff about the movie at home.

I feel like the characterization wasn't where it needed to be, but I am not an expert on these sort of things, but I feel like really didn't know much of anything about the crew at all, but then again, maybe I am not meant to?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

I chuckled a little bit when David is throwing pebbles at Oram's body. It's just such a petty thing to do.