Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I'm curious about VR it but it seems like it will be too expensive and all the games will be lame gimmicks. Will anybody in this forum buy a VR headset when they come out later this year? has anyone here used one before? something I though about while eating lunch

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011
Im not interested in what VR is now, but maybe in the future

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax
I think it will be really cool but not particularly fun like regular games, if that makes any sense. Thanks for listening.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

its something i want to do to check it out but not something i would ever buy or own

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70jxkIF8XDQ

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
I got to try out the roller coaster demo on an or it was pretty cool but not something I'd spend any money on

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

anything that requires me to wear some clunky poo poo on my head is complete rear end.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014
games are already reality, op.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Daikatana Ritsu posted:

anything that requires me to wear some clunky poo poo on my head is complete rear end.

yeah i think this is how i feel. The promise of it is cool, but I dont want to set up motion tracking pillars and have a huge plastic box strapped to my face to play games.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

I thik AR could be cooler, hololens just looks like a pair of normal glasses. and you can just have games pop out of a coffee table? Possibly

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

In Training posted:

I thik AR could be cooler, hololens just looks like a pair of normal glasses. and you can just have games pop out of a coffee table? Possibly

with the current model you can only see AR on what would fit on a credit card 2 feet from your face. seems like very early days for the tech that is getting rushed out to piggyback the vr hype.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
i thought that vr that microsoft showed off at e3 was really neat. especially with the game world coming out of the table.

Dec 26, 2012

ar stuff seems tight. doesnt seem like its quite there yet though

SM64Guy
Apr 1, 2005

No

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!
Can't say that I will be until they invent completely simulated environments OP.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

I want to at least try out the Vive; if it's as insane as some people say I might be persuaded to buy it but I also consistently make poor consumer decisions so

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
It's my only hope to gently caress.

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

nothing beats imagination op

Average Bear
Apr 4, 2010
Oh, you still date 3D? That's cute.

Falsum
May 10, 2013

Crazy for the Bros
Yeah, but not for games.

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

im supposed to be impressed by technology that makes it looks like there really is a giant 3d cube rotating infront of my face. this might be good for woman but this is useless to me as a man where i can get the same experience simply by closing my eyes and using my mind

Shifty gimbal
Dec 28, 2008

Hey you... I got something to tell ya
Biscuit Hider
Sure, why not.

THE PENETRATOR
Jul 27, 2014

by Lowtax

trying to jack off posted:

im supposed to be impressed by technology that makes it looks like there really is a giant 3d cube rotating infront of my face. this might be good for woman but this is useless to me as a man where i can get the same experience simply by closing my eyes and using my mind

Agreed.

Mr. Sophistication
May 16, 2014

I know this wasn't your original avatar but I just love this game. Cheers, rediscover.
i look forward to the future of vr technology

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
if the headsets get better than it could be pretty cool, but i have no desire to have something like that on my face for as long as i play a typical game

dendy crew
Jun 1, 2011

Dendy!, Dendy!, We love Dendy! Dendy - Everyone plays it!
i want rich interactive ,edia experiences and to engage in a virtual world not different than our own

http://www.worlds.com/company.html

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

The headsets would make for a good device for sleeping on planes or something if they make like serene waterfall scenes or beach side sunset or something

SeXReX fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Jun 29, 2015

coldplay chiptunes
Sep 17, 2010

by Lowtax
someone post the example video of a guy buying a louis viton bag for his friend zone ladyfriend using a 3d interactive shop on the Facebook website

Trabandiumium
Feb 20, 2010

only when its simsense op

sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

SeXReX posted:

The headsets would make for a good device for sleeping on planes or something if they make like serene waterfall scenes or beach side sunset or something

a heavy rear end box that doesn't let my face turn to either side that's constantly shining light onto my loving eyes: great for sleeping on a plane

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.

Not sure which model you've tried but the OR I used was way lighter than I expected and the straps did a great job of distributing it so your head didn't feel lopsided.

And I fall asleep directly in front of monitors with sound playing all the time.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

I.N.R.I posted:

Im not interested in what VR is now, but maybe in the future

yeah.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

the weird AR cutscenes in Bravely Default were cool but i dont think i'd want to do gameplay that way.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

putting the screen close to your face isn't vr. I want something that loving jacks into my brain

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

SeXReX posted:

Not sure which model you've tried but the OR I used was way lighter than I expected and the straps did a great job of distributing it so your head didn't feel lopsided.

And I fall asleep directly in front of monitors with sound playing all the time.

maybe just get a recording of the sound of waterfalls or some poo poo. if your trying to sleep why are your eyes open?

trying to jack off
Dec 31, 2007

trying to get to sleep through sheer force of will ftw

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

Stairmaster posted:

putting the screen close to your face isn't vr. I want something that loving jacks into my brain

This.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

I dont want to plug stuff into my brain. if we're at that point then just put me inside the computer so i can live & game forever

Zoq-Fot-Pik
Jun 27, 2008

Frungy!

lesbian baphomet posted:

I dont want to plug stuff into my brain. if we're at that point then just put me inside the computer so i can live & game forever

You have to use the plug to put yourself in the computer first.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

that's fine if its just a one-time thing. its not like i'd mind needles anymore if i were just a digital consciousness or a tron bike guy or whatever

• Locked thread