Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice
https://www.nraila.org/articles/20150605/stop-obamas-planned-gag-order-on-firearm-related-speech

http://dailycaller.com/2015/06/07/stop-obamas-planned-gag-order-on-firearm-related-speech/

http://bearingarms.com/constitution-obama-plans-muzzle-gun-related-speech/

http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2015/06/07/obama-to-circumvent-congress-with-gag-order-on-firearm-coverage/ (video autoplays)

So, I've got a co-worker totally convinced this is Obama's first step in cracking down on both the 1st and 2nd amendments. I can't really find anything about it outside of the RW echo chamber (links above are a pretty good sample of what Google provides). I'm hoping someone here can break down what this actually is, because the language in the State Department document is too obtuse for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005
I should have invested in .223 ammo back in 2007, I'd be so rich now.

Grognan
Jan 23, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Well if we can find a primary source of what exactly is going on besides fear-mongering we might be able to help you.

Watermelon City
May 10, 2009

Your coworker is a gullible rube.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment I'm alive, I pray for death!

Watermelon City posted:

Your coworker is a gullible rube.

:agreed:

The right has been screeching out this same tune since before he took office, but I'm sure this time it'll actually happen, *pause for emphasis* any day now.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

Ahahaha this video is awesome. Let's get a Republican hack and a Democratic hack to weigh in on what noted expert Vince Vaughan says.

If you showed clips of American media circa 2015 to somebody from 1970 they would refuse to believe it was real.

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

A better world is just $69.69 away.

Soiled Meat
I agree OP, the federal government should research the effects of firearms.

Mo_Steel
Mar 7, 2008

Let's Clock Into The Sunset Together

Fun Shoe

Istvun posted:

I agree OP, the federal government should research the effects of firearms.

Seems pretty straightforward, guns are awesome and I like to shoot them in video games a lot.

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

It's amazing their hands can support such awesome.

Feral_Shofixti posted:

https://www.nraila.org/articles/20150605/stop-obamas-planned-gag-order-on-firearm-related-speech

http://dailycaller.com/2015/06/07/stop-obamas-planned-gag-order-on-firearm-related-speech/

http://bearingarms.com/constitution-obama-plans-muzzle-gun-related-speech/

http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2015/06/07/obama-to-circumvent-congress-with-gag-order-on-firearm-coverage/ (video autoplays)

So, I've got a co-worker totally convinced this is Obama's first step in cracking down on both the 1st and 2nd amendments. I can't really find anything about it outside of the RW echo chamber (links above are a pretty good sample of what Google provides). I'm hoping someone here can break down what this actually is, because the language in the State Department document is too obtuse for me.

The Administration is trying to tighten up ITAR rules. Right now, ITAR doesn't cover public domain technical data because pre-internet, you had to export the books containing it. Now with the internet, technical data can be published online and is essentially instantly exported. This is for stuff like design blueprints for tanks, planes, nuclear weapons, encryptions standards and methods, etc. Anything regulated as "munitions" under ITAR. The right-wing freakout is just that, because the technical manual (for example) for my Glock isn't covered under ITAR, so regulations wouldn't touch it anyways.

Edit: Quick example.

Under the current rules, it would be legal under ITAR (but probably otherwise illegal) for someone to publish the blueprints for a krytron switch online. Krytrons are tightly controlled via ITAR since, for the most part, their only use is in triggers for hydrogen bombs. Under the proposed new rules, if you published the plans online, you could be hit with an ITAR violation for "exporting" the plans.

CommanderApaul fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Jun 28, 2015

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice
http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/FR-2015-06-03/pdf/2015-12844.pdf

Here's the source material.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
Some of the guys who make 3D mills to produce AR15 receivers at home send the coding for the design on a thumbdrive because allegedly they've been told they can get hit with ITAR violations for putting milling instructions for making an AR15 receiver online.

With 3D-printed plastic guns and whatnot, this has been "a thing" since 2013 when the State Department told the guys who made the "Liberator" plastic gun that they needed to take down all their files so State could review them for ITAR violations since they'd "exported" them by putting them on the internet: http://www.forbes.com/sites/andygre...trol-violation/

tsa
Feb 3, 2014
It's really funny that some people still think gun control can be a thing with technologies like that right around the corner.

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

Yeah, ease of manufacture is why we see so many automatic M-16 sears flying around.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

tsa posted:

It's really funny that some people still think gun control can be a thing with technologies like that right around the corner.
I think it changes nothing, actually.

If you could afford a metal-printing 3D home printer doozits, you could probably afford a gun just fine.

If you would be getting some lovely plastic zip gun, you'd probably get a lovely plastic zip gun some other way.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Nessus posted:

If you would be getting some lovely plastic zip gun, you'd probably get a lovely plastic zip gun some other way.

Especially with the added incentive of the free 3D printed tactical club that comes free with it!

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

It's amazing their hands can support such awesome.

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

Some of the guys who make 3D mills to produce AR15 receivers at home send the coding for the design on a thumbdrive because allegedly they've been told they can get hit with ITAR violations for putting milling instructions for making an AR15 receiver online.

With 3D-printed plastic guns and whatnot, this has been "a thing" since 2013 when the State Department told the guys who made the "Liberator" plastic gun that they needed to take down all their files so State could review them for ITAR violations since they'd "exported" them by putting them on the internet: http://www.forbes.com/sites/andygre...trol-violation/

A lot of this (edit: the ar15 plans on thumb drives) also has to do with how the ATF interprets the word "manufacturer" in regards to making a lower receiver. Buy an 80% blank and a jig and still have to do the milling yourself, that's OK. Buy an 80% blank and throw it in a milling machine at a build party where all you have to do is push the button, that's not OK. Someone posting the code for tool passes falls between those two extremes, and no one wants to be the ATF test case for who is considered the manufacturer if you're using someone else's code.

CommanderApaul fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Jun 29, 2015

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

CommanderApaul posted:

A lot of this also has to do with how the ATF interprets the word "manufacturer" in regards to making a lower receiver. Buy an 80% blank and a jig and still have to do the milling yourself, that's OK. Buy an 80% blank and throw it in a milling machine at a build party where all you have to do is push the button, that's not OK. Someone posting the code for tool passes falls between those two extremes, and no one wants to be the ATF test case for who is considered the manufacturer if you're using someone else's code.

I'm not sure the ATF part and the ITAR part are really related there. ITAR is concerned with exporting information that could be used to produce a military firearm; though I'm not sure if just printing out M16A4 specs onto blue paper and mailing it to Libya would also run afoul of the law or no.

The ATF is a whole separate thing, where they're trying to keep people from abusing the "legal, unserialized, homemade firearm" thing. Which I can see, that's kind of their job. Anecdotally, the most recent I heard was that the milling machines with pre-code are still kosher (and also, you do have to actively work with the machine, unplugging bit A and plugging in bit B, etc when the machine tells you to, it's not push-button-and-walk-away), but afaik they're saying it's not kosher to have build parties where random guys show up and you take turns pressing the button to make "your" own rifle.

quote:

Yeah, ease of manufacture is why we see so many automatic M-16 sears flying around.

I'm not sure which way you're making the argument, but if you mean "with strict enough laws against homemade firearms, it will reduce incentive to make them". Since that's why we don't see tons of full-auto mods to M16s, because for a hobbyist it's taking a huge risk of a federal felony for some small added fun, and for a criminal it adds almost zero to your criminal capability while also turning a local stick-up job into a federal felony. If people really want to have full-auto converted ARs, they have them, same as with suppressors, which anyone who can do any kind of metalwork whatsoever can knock out in a half-hour. But same again, if hobbyists are making unlicensed suppressors they're keeping awfully quiet (:rimshot:) about it, and criminals might on really rare occasions (hitmen?) make suppressors, but for the vast majority of the time it's not really a needed criminal capability, and greatly amplifies your legal peril.

quote:

If you could afford a metal-printing 3D home printer doozits, you could probably afford a gun just fine.
In America? Definitely. In Japan? Not so much.

quote:

Yes, pretty much anyone would agree that as of tyool 2015, plastic 3D printed firearms are generally quite inferior to something you could build with a $10 gift card to Home Depot, no argument there.

This one is pretty bitchin' though:

TapTheForwardAssist fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Jun 29, 2015

Tetraptous
Nov 11, 2004

Dynamic instability during transition.
So, the NRA-ILA article does actually link to the regulation, so you can read it for yourself.

I doubt that it's really that big a threat to gunsmiths/reloaders/gun owners--certainly, I doubt the Administration intended to use it that way. But ITAR is a stupid law that's fundamentally difficult to interpret and enforce. There's an enormous lack of clarity as to what is and what is not covered, especially when it comes to technical information; I'm a researcher at a US government lab and all of my output has to be cleared through "export control." The rationale behind their decisions is never clear to me; I think because the law is so vague that the only thing you can really go by is the precedent of similar cases adjudicated in the past. It's also has a chilling effect--I've known several university professors who have backed off fundamental research projects because they were afraid of being prosecuted for ITAR violations.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

This one is pretty bitchin' though:

Mauser Zig-Zag II: Zig Harder.

KaiserSchnitzel
Feb 23, 2003

Hey baby I think we Havel lot in common
OP the proposed regulation clarifies regulations already in-place that prohibit the export of information about weapons systems or defense capabilities to foreign countries. It's got nothing to do with keeping and bearing arms. So you can tell your idiot redneck co-worker that he's a traitor to the US and is weakening the defense capabilities of the United States by opposing this regulatory action that is 100% within the constitutional powers of the Executive Branch.

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums
I think the legitimate worry is that this is that this is going to set precedent for the government controlling data (and or devices) that would allow you to use a 3d printer (or similar technology) to create things it doesn't like. This may not be a big deal now, but in 20 years? Maybe a very big deal.

Considering that just a few years ago 3d printers where huge expensive things that could really only produce novelties "Hey look its some toy gears in a configuration that would be difficult to produce conventionally!!! YEA opps it broke..." to poo poo that fits on your desk, costs about as much as a top of the line computer and can print off functioning guns, in 20 years we may be looking at stuff in the future that can print out pharmaceuticals to Anti-Drone laser weapons. In the confront of your own home!!

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
It's probably a good thing that people couldn't print pharmaceuticals or laser AA guns

Numlock
May 19, 2007

The simplest seppo on the forums

rscott posted:

It's probably a good thing that people couldn't print pharmaceuticals or laser AA guns

Why do you hate Freedom?

I don't want to live in a world where I can't.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Being able to print pharmaceuticals would be an amazing thing for the developing world.

The people who have patents on drugs would hate it though. They would hammer on about research costs and how the printers couldn't guarantee a safe product and how it means every kid will be printing heroin, but the heart of their argument is 90% going to be about not being able to milk as much money from dying people.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Guavanaut posted:

Being able to print pharmaceuticals would be an amazing thing for the developing world.
Totally unregulated production of pharmaceuticals is already a thing in the developing world.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Isn't that how we got da joose?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
That was the Soviets that did that.

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Totally unregulated production of pharmaceuticals is already a thing in the developing world.
I'd hope if we ever got to the stage where printers could print drugs they'd be able to calibrate themselves. Plus you could actually locate them in hospitals, which would be a boon for developing countries and inaccessible areas.

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

rscott posted:

Isn't that how we got da joose?
Along with various tiger-penis-based concoctions.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Rent-A-Cop posted:

Along with various tiger-penis-based concoctions.
3D printed tiger dicks may not be too far off.
http://3dprint.com/47469/3d-printed-rhino-horns/

Creamed Cormp
Jan 8, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Truly a great time to be alive.

Seriously though, while I can definitely understand the gov not wanting people to know all about their cool gear just by googling "hydrogen bomb blueprint .pdf", it's rather laughable that anyone thinks small arms data can be controlled, I mean, China makes M4s since the early 80s, so do Russia, Turkey and Germany; Israel makes one with two barrels, Iran's new rifle uses STANAG magazines...

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
How the gently caress do you think that you can just print pharmaceuticals? Do you think you can just arrange together the atoms with a teeny little robot arm to form molecules?

ErIog
Jul 11, 2001

:nsacloud:

Guavanaut posted:

3D printed tiger dicks may not be too far off.
http://3dprint.com/47469/3d-printed-rhino-horns/

There will always be a market for "real" rhino horns. The entire thing is a superstition anyway. You're not going to come up with some logic trump card on them because they'll just spin FUD to say there's some kind of bullshit scientifically imperceptible difference between real rhino horn and 3D bioprinted rhino horns.

Since it's all superstition anyway, motherfuckers are probably crushing up Tums antacid tablets and selling it as "Genuine Rhino Horn Powder." It's a wonder anyone bothers to poach rhinos at all anymore.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Phobophilia posted:

How the gently caress do you think that you can just print pharmaceuticals? Do you think you can just arrange together the atoms with a teeny little robot arm to form molecules?
Pharmaceutical printing usually refers to flow chemistry, especially microfluidics.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Phobophilia posted:

Intense reactions in an environment of heavy buzzwording. This is related but not identical to the Liberty Sphere projected by an operational and loaded firearm.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Nessus posted:

Intense reactions in an environment of heavy buzzwording. This is related but not identical to the Liberty Sphere projected by an operational and loaded firearm.

My Liberty Sphere intersects with the ground, forming a dome. Iron Dome oh poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

CommanderApaul posted:

Under the current rules, it would be legal under ITAR (but probably otherwise illegal) for someone to publish the blueprints for a krytron switch online. Krytrons are tightly controlled via ITAR since, for the most part, their only use is in triggers for hydrogen bombs. Under the proposed new rules, if you published the plans online, you could be hit with an ITAR violation for "exporting" the plans.

It'll be interesting when IGBTs can do it and suddenly the state department/DOD realizes that they're being made in China.

• Locked thread