Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

I'm flying in, renting a car, and staying at the HoJo right by the venue. I said this some time ago in the indie wrestling thread but if you aren't renting a car there's a shuttle that runs every 15 minutes from LAX to the Van Nuys Airport. It is much cheaper than getting a cab from downtown LA to Reseda. I really don't have plans Friday so I could give rides from there to the hotel if needed. Its only like 10 or 15 minutes

Last year in the confusion of buying tickets on a website that can't handle the load I wound up with several extra tickets if that happens again this year this thread gets first dibs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Young Pageviews posted:

I am 95% sure I am going and staying with a friend of a friend. What are the chances I buy a plane ticket from New York and then can't get tickets on the site? What is the walk-up situation like?

Edit: The friend of a friend is the friend of PSP poster Daunte McNabb.

Walk up situation is show up early and cram yourself up against the wall

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Does Dave like tar

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Thauros posted:

In all seriousness if they aren't going to run a bigger building they'd probably be smart to up their prices.BOLA given that they're drawing a shitload of people willing to fly to watch wrestling anyway.

shut up!!!

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

a penny saved is a penny earned

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

If you're on the website right when they go up its easy. Working nights is a problem though I might have to put in PTO just to buy tickets

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

epitasis posted:

i'm seeing tweets about the site intermittently crashing 5 minutes before they were supposed to be on sale. anecdotal but y'know.

It actually does this before every show afaik. Definitely did right before BOLA went on sale last year then worked fine, albeit slow, when tickets went up

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

shhhh

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

once i see pentagon/bailey i can go home

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

mike bailey is winning the whole thing, brother

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

front row here I come

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Mr Muggy posted:

Was there something I missed where Biff/Dragon became this big loving thing outside of their staredown? It was awesome, but I felt like there should be more story to this.

biff has been asking for the match on twitter that's it and lets be real a big stupid gimmick brawl is probably all Dragon is good for

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Fenix/Aerostar vs Pentagon/Drago on night 2

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Night 1:

Aerostar vs Brian Cage'
Andrew Everett vs Biff Busick
Will Ospreay vs Mark Andrews
Trevor Lee vs Trent?
Drago vs Pentagon Jr
Matt Sydal vs Fenix
Inner City Machine Guns vs Angelico and Jack Evans
Tommy End, Marty Scurll, and Zack Sabre Jr. vs Roderick Strong, and The Young Bucks

Night 2:

Marty Scurll vs Rich Swann
Chris Hero vs Tim Thatcher
Drew Gulak vs Tommy End
Angelico vs Jack Evans
Mike Bailey vs Drew Galloway
Ricochet vs Zack Sabre Jr
Fenix and Aerostar vs Pentagon Jr and Drago
Andrew Everett, Trevor Lee, and Biff Busick vs Super Dragon, and The Young Bucks in Guerrilla Warfare

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

KungFu Grip posted:

All the tournament matches are being announced now, so someone better get them all ready. Interesting stuff going on though with partners on previous or next nights facing each other in tournament matches

super dragon is cheating as booker

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

grozz I think you said you wanted to read Dave's pwg write up so here you go

quote:

On July 26, 2003, Pro Wrestling Guerrilla opened its doors in what at first became something close to a Southern California outpost of a style of wrestling popularized by Ring of Honor.

On 7/24, the company presented its 12 year anniversary show at its home in Reseda, CA. When the show started, Excalibur, a masked face of the company (who did a speech complaining about the made up board of directors weren’t fining or suspending The Young Bucks and Super Dragon for their attacks on the last show), then how many people in the sold out crowd of probably just over 400 people were at the first show. If anyone raised their hand, I didn’t see it.

In that dozen years, PWG in Reseda has become the place for new talent to make their name. People like Kevin Steen, The Young Bucks, Ricochet and El Generico preceded their ROH or other international fame by working for the group. People like Andrew Everett, Trevor Lee, Team Tremendous and Speedball Mike Bailey may be the next in that line.

On Friday’s show, among those in attendance were William Regal and Canyon Ceman, scouting for WWE, current WWE champion Seth Rollins and AAA co-booker Konnan. Steen himself would have been there, but for once, the show ended at 11:30 p.m., which is actually early for the group that often runs shows until nearly 1 a.m. So he wasn’t going to make it there it in time after main eventing a house show in Bakersfield that night. Reports were that the WWE officials were most impressed with Angelico, a AAA star who teamed with Jack Evans in the main event against the local stars of the group, The Young Bucks. Angelico has a multi-year contract with Lucha Underground, but that is only germane if Lucha Underground continues. We’re not certain what type of deal he is under with AAA.

What they are scouting for has changed. Before it was size and physiques, for the main roster, where on Friday’s show, perhaps nobody but Brian Cage, Ricochet and perhaps Bill Carr would have gotten a second look. But now, with the dual purposes of making NXT into a touring workrate style promotion, which needs to add depth when its few guys capable of blowing people away on top get called up. Just days later, Lee started on TNA television as part of the GFW invading group. Carr, who looks and performs like Big Bubba Rogers would have if he was young with less wear and tear and broke in during this era, suffered a broken foot in his match.

It’s a tiny place, with the beer being sold at cheap prices and in pitcher size, and drinking is plentiful. Still, the crowd is in no way violent or dangerous. Some would say they are too easy, as there seems to be no preference in style that gets over, only that the shows are long and everything gets over. This week’s show was a rarity, it was just under three hours with seven matches that all had decent time, with one match right after the other. The crowd that comes figures they are in there until 1 a.m., but nobody was complaining about the early night. Every show features crazy high spots, fast past action, hard hitting action, copious amounts of comedy and silliness. Before the show and during intermission, the top stars are parked in the corners selling their merchandise and talking to fans.

Most of the people there are regulars, who rush to their computers right before tickets go on sale (in this case on 7/30 at 8 p.m. Pacific time, and they’ll all be gone within minutes), knowing that a slight stall in their computers will mean no tickets. This show sold out in three minutes. While most fans are from Southern California, there are regulars who fly in from the East Coast and a few people make long drives of 350 or more miles. It’s general admission except for the front row, with all seats $45, the front row is $65, although it looks like starting next month the prices are being raised to $50 and $70 each night. General admission, as well as front row, are first come first served. So people start lining up before noon to get the best seats. Those who get into line a little late end up having to stand for four hours.

As noted before, they’ve long since outgrown the building, but there is no sign of moving. For those who aren’t there, the shows were available on DVD release, a declining industry, and there has been no talk of iPPV.

Interest, if anything, is growing. For the next show, the three-day Battle of Los Angeles, with shows on 8/28, 8/29 and 8/30, the shows are likely to sell out instantly later this week.

What has been announced is that it will be a 24 man tournament. There will be six first round matches on 8/28, plus several tag matches involving talent either not in the tournament, or in the tournament on the second night. The 8/29 show is similar. The 12 winners from 8/28 and 8/29 will advance to the finals on 8/30.

Wrestlers will appear from a number of major promotions including U.K. indies (Will Ospreay and Marty Scurll), Evolve (champion Timothy Thatcher and Rich Swann), TNA (Drew Galloway and Mark Andrews), New Japan (Trent Barreta), Lucha Underground (Brian Cage, Ricochet, Pentagon Jr., Angelico, Fenix, Jack Evans, Drago and Aero Star), Pro Wrestling NOAH (Zack Sabre Jr.), wXw (Tommy End), ROH (Matt Sydal) as well as PWG regulars like Bailey, Chris Hero, Biff Busick, Trevor Lee, Drew Gulak and Andrew Everett.

The first night main event will be champion Roderick Strong, who is likely to face the tournament winner in his next title defense, teaming with The Young Bucks against Scurll & Sabre Jr. & End.

The first part of the show was unadvertised matches. Once a year, the promotion does a show where nothing is advertised, no names, no anything.

They opened with Team Tremendous (Dan Barry & Bill Carr) beating Joey Ryan & Candice LaRae. Carr is a huge guy who does all kinds of flying moves. He even flew when LaRae got behind him and delivered a German suplex. The finish was the old Doomsday Device, but with a twist, as Barry instead of coming off the top with a clothesline, came off with a reverse blockbuster.

Next saw the contest bodybuilder Cage beating Johnny Gargano (who, being from Cleveland, is now also known as Johnny Wrestling), with a discus clothesline. Gargano at one point did a flip dive off the apron and Cage caught him and delivered a suplex on the floor.

Everett beat Swann with a shooting star press in a largely entertaining match. Everett is almost the exact mold of a good indie worker that WWE wouldn’t have touched because of size and body a few years ago, but would probably stand out in NXT. His body control is such that he should wind up as a star at a certain level. Swann is a charismatic guy who I still can’t figure out why he isn’t a bigger star.

Lee beat Tommaso Ciampa in a hard hitting great match. Lee had his mouth busted open and blood was pouring from it.

Bailey beat Hero in 20:59 of an excellent match. This was better than all but a few matches so far in G-1, and better than anything on the ROH iPPV or WWE’s Battleground. It was a very simple match in the sense it was a fight. It was the slowest worked match on the show, with Hero pretty much controlling it, but every move made sense and built. Just the stomps that Hero was doing meant so much more than crazy flying moves others would do because every offensive move he did looked so solid and real. Bailey is very talented, but he’s small. But he’s got a kicking sequence that he did twice in this match that would get over in front of any type of crowd. Bailey won clean in the middle even though Hero is almost an iconic figure. Hero’s obvious drawback is the body, because he’s got the size, being a legit 6-foot-4 or so, and his work is unquestioned, particularly in doing a very much Japanese style match.

A very different Japanese style match was next, with Ricochet pinning Akira Tozawa with a spinning falcon arrow. This had its comedic overtones, and was very much a Dragon Gate style match brought to PWG. There was a lot of the acrobatics, plus the things like the super slow chops. Unlike the prior match, which felt like a fight, this felt like two buddies who were out there trying to entertain the audience. It worked. Nobody in the business has got the body control of Ricochet. When you have Kota Ibushi saying that he can’t match you, that’s saying something. He shows so much more charisma here without the mask than he does in Lucha Underground. Tozawa worked hard and is excellent. The match was entertaining, but the entertainment aspect kept it from reaching the heights of the Ricochet vs. Matt Sydal match in the same building in February.

Ricochet and Tozawa celebrated together and then Ricochet left the stage to allow Tozawa to get the big “Please come back” chants. At that point Super Dragon came out and attacked Tozawa. He was joined by The Young Bucks, both wearing Super Dragon masks. The three, along with Strong (who wasn’t there since he was doing the ROH iPPV show, but every seat had a flyer noting it was Strong’s birthday) are the new Mount Rushmore top heel group. Bailey, Lee, Everett, Gargano, Ryan and LaRae all came down and were laid to waste in a bevy of superkicks and tombstone piledrivers. Evans & Angelico also came out, and were beaten down, which transitioned into the main event.

The main event saw The Young Bucks beat Evans & Angelico, which was like every top-end Bucks match in ROH, in the sense it’s non-stop superkicks and tornado DDTs, with great timing and getting great reaction. The Bucks largely work as heels, but were getting dueling chants. Evans is almost like Ricochet in his body control. He’s got a Lucha style from all his years in Mexico. His flying is some of the best, and he worked perfectly with the Bucks. Angelico live is such a great worker. There were none of the insane balcony dives in Lucha Underground, because there is no balcony, but everything he does looks good, and his running leap out of the ring over the post is incredible live. The finish saw the Bucks go for the Meltzer driver on Evans, but Angelico broke it up. It was actually brilliant because the sense was they were doing the move with me there, so when Angelico “screwed it up,” Matt looked at him and essentially said the guy was screwed, but in much stronger language, and did a running dropkick through the ropes on him. The finish was More Bang For Your Buck on Evans for the win.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Dave's frame of reference for those guys is not PWG, that's all

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

If you're only doing one night, night 2 looks better imo. The tournament matches are a push but guerilla warfare and lucha showcase sound killer

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Fart Radio posted:

if night 3 starts at 5, a 10 pm flight leaving LAX that night would be cutting it too close, right? I've got a strong feeling that show would run past 8, and it would probably take 45 minutes to get to LAX from Reseda.

last year night 3 started at 5 and went past 10pm. There's going to be 11 or 12 matches to get through on night 3

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

ALL THREE NIGHTS, BABY

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

i have a car and the tar/art museum combo sounds dope. My roommate for the weekend didn't score tickets for night 2 so I'm not sure how long all that will take but I'll want to be back kinda early

oatgan fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Aug 14, 2015

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Jubs posted:

Instead of going to LACMA, I think we should do one of those Escape Rooms instead.

this actually looks pretty cool and pretty much all the rooms are available all weekend. If 4 of you want to do this friday or saturday afternoon I can book this and you paypal me $33

http://losangeles.roomescapelive.com/

this one reserves the whole room for your smaller group instead of sticking you in there with a bunch of strangers which seems preferable tbqh

oatgan fucked around with this message at 03:49 on Aug 15, 2015

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

i dont know if my high school level spanish would be good enough to communicate complex bank heist clues

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Reservations are starting to fill up so i'm going to go ahead and book a bank robbery for 1:30pm on Saturday. Shoot me a pm if you want to go

-edit-

booked, I have four spots left and it's $35 a person. I can give two of you a ride there from the hotel

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

there's one spot in the room left and I dunno how many of you need rides but we're going to have to take two cars anyway and since someone just asked for a ride i only have one (comfortable) seat left in mine

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

there's another room that runs in the same location at the same time slot!

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Jubs posted:

Is that ticket still available?

Yes

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

wilkenm posted:

I won't know for sure until later in the week, probably by Wednesday. If I can't go, I'll PM you and see if you still want them.

if grozz manages to snag tickets in the second wave that goes on sale tomorrow night i know someone who will probably still need tickets.

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

sigmachiev posted:

I'm in SD, thinking about making the drive up on Saturday. Worth it you think?

hope you bought tickets already!

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Young Pageviews posted:

Daunte Vicknabb or w/e his forum name is and I got standing room tickets for all three nights! What is the process for picking them up? If my girlfriend bought tickets for us from her PayPal account, how do we retrieve them?

everything is will call so give the name they are under at the door and they'll check you off the list. Since someone else bought the tickets you may want to print out the paypal receipt idk

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

congrats to all my bola friends by the way and sorry if you couldn't make it this year you can always play the lottery with the website next year

if anybody bought tickets and can't go my friend needs one for night 2

oatgan fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Aug 26, 2015

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

i like the heat as well

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

NotQuiteQuentin posted:

yall just have to be as jacked and tanned as I am to fully embody the almighty and all knowing brand of shorts life.

i stand with shorts

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

what the heck do I do until showtime plz help

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

That DICK! posted:

Find me tickets so we can hang out

I've seen people selling tickets all day on #BOLA you might have luck showing up at the venue and asking if anybody has extras

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

The_Rob posted:

PWG fans are chill as hell and they probably like new day.

There were a bunch of Clap ClapClap chants

Also the brock/taker spot from summerslam

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Propaganda Machine posted:

right. not helping

snugs anyway

So for the escape room tomorrow do you need a ride or are you just meeting us there?

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Propaganda Machine posted:

I'll meet you all there. Should I bring a sign, or should the goony group be self evident? I'll be the blonde girl who looks a bit dim.

We'll be the dorks in wrestling shirts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oatgan
Jan 15, 2009

Lucha tag blew the roof off and everyone threw money in the ring

• Locked thread