Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

BottledBodhisvata posted:

Lol, and I was wondering why I didn't see their logo on the opening screen. That's what you get for making a pun in the thread title!

All good, just figured I'd point that out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Quantic Dream will never be able to develop something as competent as this game as long as David Cage is still in charge there.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Can we agree tacitly to edit the name of the thread, if news of DLC or some such is out? I keep coming back to the thread hoping for more, but no news so far. :smith:

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
I think if they had DLC in the pipeline then they would have announced it straight away, they'd have to have been working on it for ages since it would require mocapping and lots of voicework and such.

I reckon they could make this into a recurring thing though, not a direct sequel but just a horror adventure game with this sort of style and different characters.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

thebardyspoon posted:

I think if they had DLC in the pipeline then they would have announced it straight away, they'd have to have been working on it for ages since it would require mocapping and lots of voicework and such.

I reckon they could make this into a recurring thing though, not a direct sequel but just a horror adventure game with this sort of style and different characters.

They should be cheap and reuse the "actors" in a similar manner to American Horror Story. That way they don't have to change a lot of mo-capping or models, just change their hair styles and costumes.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

They've already been discussing Until Dawn 2 so I think they're planning sequels instead, presumably a bit faster since they have the framework in place.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

i'm glad a sequel is possible, the game was a bigger success than anyone anticipated and that was without any real marketing. in the absence of truly divergent story paths i'd like to see a real slasher story with dozens upon dozens of wacky deaths.

ufarn posted:

Can we agree tacitly to edit the name of the thread, if news of DLC or some such is out? I keep coming back to the thread hoping for more, but no news so far. :smith:

i'll edit the op if we get any news about that, i think a mod would have to change the title if that happened

mangler103
Jun 6, 2003

Metroid sighting huh? Well, I did just pour this coffee...it will still be there tomorrow.

BottledBodhisvata posted:

They should be cheap and reuse the "actors" in a similar manner to American Horror Story. That way they don't have to change a lot of mo-capping or models, just change their hair styles and costumes.

I wonder how long ago these actors were hired though? The guys from Agents of SHIELD and Mr Robot might be too high profile or too expensive to do a sequel if they had hired them before they became more well known.

They might have multi-game contracts though. Who knows.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
Since this game is like Saw meets Evil Dead, I'd like to have a Nightmare on Elm Street meets Hellraiser mash-up for the next one. I'd like something with more of an overall "puzzle" to it that has to be solved to win the game. Like, you have to complete a ritual by finding all the clues as all the characters without them dying, something that you can be occupied in doing the whole game in addition to dodging death traps and the like.

Curious, how did this game do for sales, since it seems to be a pretty popular "rent for a weekend" title rather than a "buy at full price" dealie.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2015/09/10/august-2015-npd-madden-is-king-and-until-dawn-has-a-solid-showing.aspx

It was the seventh best-selling game in the US in August. There wasn't too much else coming out around the same time, but it's a new IP and a system exclusive, so that can be considered a minor victory. I'd say we're probably on lock for another one.

mangler103 posted:

I wonder how long ago these actors were hired though? The guys from Agents of SHIELD and Mr Robot might be too high profile or too expensive to do a sequel if they had hired them before they became more well known.

They might have multi-game contracts though. Who knows.

Brett Dalton said something about how most of the characters were recast when it moved from a PS3 Move title to a PS4 game, and he was one of the exceptions.

It's difficult to say what they'll do next. The smart play would probably be to mimic its source material even harder and employ a rotating cast of no-names. I think it's pretty obvious the current price point is a problem, but if they were able to make it much longer or much more manipulable, that would help to justify it.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
Just finished, with 3 characters alive. I really wish the QTEs were a bit more forgiving, as my reaction time sucks. (Though most of my deaths were due to stupid choices and not QTEs)

edit: What's this about a flare gun to save Matt? I didn't even see a flare gun during my playthrough.

ymgve fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Sep 25, 2015

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

ymgve posted:

edit: What's this about a flare gun to save Matt? I didn't even see a flare gun during my playthrough.

The flare gun is one of the hardest things in the game to use correctly. It's on the outside of the radio tower, behind the main building. When you pick it up, Emily has the option to keep it or give it to Matt. If you give it to Matt, he'll fire it right away like an idiot if you had him agree with Emily's plan to go to the fire tower. If you have him disagree, he'll stow it for later and be able to use it against the Wendigo after he tries to save Emily. Or you can just have him jump to safety and not need it, at the cost of Emily hating his cowardly guts.

Alternately, you can give it to Emily, and provided you miss zero QTEs and make all the right choices during her escape sequence, she'll use it against the Wendigo to keep from being bitten.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Spergatory posted:

The flare gun is one of the hardest things in the game to use correctly. It's on the outside of the radio tower, behind the main building. When you pick it up, Emily has the option to keep it or give it to Matt. If you give it to Matt, he'll fire it right away like an idiot if you had him agree with Emily's plan to go to the fire tower. If you have him disagree, he'll stow it for later and be able to use it against the Wendigo after he tries to save Emily. Or you can just have him jump to safety and not need it, at the cost of Emily hating his cowardly guts.

gently caress Emily. I tried saving her twice after the fall. And in the credits sequence she still bitches that Matt only tried to save himself.

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

ymgve posted:

gently caress Emily. I tried saving her twice after the fall. And in the credits sequence she still bitches that Matt only tried to save himself.

That is because she is a self-centered bitch, always. At least Ashley only has the -potential- to be a whiny traitor, Emily is just terrible as a personality mark.

As for the post above, I think that was one of my least favorite butterfly effects because it really makes no sense. I know they were going for the ooooh subtle choices make a difference thing, but it still is irritating

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

She didn't do that in my run, probably because I had Matt try to save her once and then jump after it was clear it was destabilizing the tower and was a total suck up to her all other times.

Speedball fucked around with this message at 07:04 on Sep 26, 2015

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Gestalt Intellect posted:

I haven't played this but I watched a stream of the whole thing and this seems really surprising in hindsight. There were like 3 cases or more where a wendigo is jumping straight at mike and the streamer had to shoot a Videogame Red Barrel to stop it, but I don't see how mike could possibly survive all that if he missed every shot. What happens if you fail every QTE since mike still lives anyway?

From a page or so back, but in regards to this, you literally cannot fail that segment. Even if you do not do a single QTE or shoot a single time, Mike will only get more banged up. If you get into a situation where Mike is about to be eaten and can't shoot his way out (including the scene with the absurdly huge pile of videogame barrels), the scene will just cut to black and the game will leave you hanging until Sam arrives at the Sanatorium.

If Mike didn't blow it up with the video game barrels, her gameplay sequence there is extended a little bit. You have to skirt around the fence and rubble blocking it and make your way in through the front door, where she encounters Mike about to be eaten by the Wendigo. She whacks it with her shovel and saves him.

Can be seen at 7:40-ish in this video which I have to link instead of embed because the thumbnail is a spoiler I believe.

edit: And even then, in that video the guy hits all the QTEs with the shovel. If you miss them he STILL doesn't die, the Wendigo just leaps off of Mike to avoid the shovel and he gets up and scrambles away. Dude's got the most plot armor of anyone to ever have plot armor, I swear.

A cool thing I did think is kinda neat about that segment regardless is that Mike stays exactly as roughed up as you let him get. There's no magical "oh he's more/less hosed up now" generic model change later on, he maintains the number of bruises/scratches he gets in that part.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 07:26 on Sep 26, 2015

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

My Mike got scuffed up repeatedly falling off a cliff and he stayed that way through the rest of the game.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Yeah, Sam can even get scratched on the eye by a bird at the beginning and it'll stay.

Am I correct in thinking Josh must have put that wolverine in the cupboard? Awfully specific place to have a jump scare, plus the deodorant was his idea. Hell, he could have even staged the frozen lock by spritzing it with water beforehand or something.

Speedball fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Sep 26, 2015

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Speedball posted:

Yeah, Sam can even get scratched on the eye by a bird at the beginning and it'll stay.

Am I correct in thinking Josh must have put that wolverine in the cupboard? Awfully specific place to have a jump scare, plus the deodorant was his idea. Hell, he could have even staged the frozen lock by spritzing it with water beforehand or something.

Considering he has to have already been inside at some point to set up the rest of the stuff (the poo poo in the basement, the magical movie-trickery candle, etc) I'd assume that's more or less the truth.

Overall I really, really, really enjoyed this game but it does have a few holes that are completely unrelated to the magic being spoiled by replaying it. Depending on your choices in the game you may not even encounter the holes I'm thinking of, but in no specific order here they are:

-Sam's OH NO WE HAVE TO GO FIND MIKE RIGHT NOW after she picks up the Stranger's journal is never explained or elaborated on.
-If Ashley gets her head chopped off after closing the sewer grate the others never even address that she doesn't "catch up".
-Josh recognizing Hannah as the Wendigo is based on having picked up and read collectibles as other characters, who don't share this information with him.
-If Mike befriends the wolf in the Sanatorium, it just kinda fucks off and then doesn't ever show up again after teleporting through a door in the middle of a cutscene/qte.
-The other characters (including Emily herself) treat Matt as if he's dead when Emily says in the same scene that she'd just seen him jump to safety (if you did that).
-The Wendigos don't start attacking until it's thematically appropriate for them to do so. I chalk this one up to it being a cheesy horror flick, but they could've easily solved this by having chapter 2 through Mike+Jess arriving at the guest cabin take place at like sunset or something instead of it already being night.
-The death totem that shows Matt splatting on the ground after falling from the cliff is completely voluntary (if you do fall from the cliff, the prompts straight up say to climb up or let go), rendering it pointless.
- Mike can have TWO guns malfunction on him in the same playthrough if you try to shoot the Stranger with the rifle and then when opening the door to the lodge, which is pretty improbable.
- If Josh didn't want to hurt anyone and all of his traps were manufactured to be harmless, who set up the trap that causes Mike to lose his fingers? The Stranger didn't do it since he didn't even know they were on the mountain, and the Wendigos aren't that smart.

I have a few more but I don't want this post to be too long-winded. Despite these holes I still think the game is very good and it was a fun ride.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I think I can unpack a couple of these for ya.

CJacobs posted:

-Sam's OH NO WE HAVE TO GO FIND MIKE RIGHT NOW after she picks up the Stranger's journal is never explained or elaborated on.
-If Ashley gets her head chopped off after closing the sewer grate the others never even address that she doesn't "catch up".
-Josh recognizing Hannah as the Wendigo is based on having picked up and read collectibles as other characters, who don't share this information with him.
-If Mike befriends the wolf in the Sanatorium, it just kinda fucks off and then doesn't ever show up again after teleporting through a door in the middle of a cutscene/qte.
-The other characters (including Emily herself) treat Matt as if he's dead when Emily says in the same scene that she'd just seen him jump to safety (if you did that).
-The Wendigos don't start attacking until it's thematically appropriate for them to do so. I chalk this one up to it being a cheesy horror flick, but they could've easily solved this by having chapter 2 through Mike+Jess arriving at the guest cabin take place at like sunset or something instead of it already being night.
-The death totem that shows Matt splatting on the ground after falling from the cliff is completely voluntary (if you do fall from the cliff, the prompts straight up say to climb up or let go), rendering it pointless.
- Mike can have TWO guns malfunction on him in the same playthrough if you try to shoot the Stranger with the rifle and then when opening the door to the lodge, which is pretty improbable.
- If Josh didn't want to hurt anyone and all of his traps were manufactured to be harmless, who set up the trap that causes Mike to lose his fingers? The Stranger didn't do it since he didn't even know they were on the mountain, and the Wendigos aren't that smart.

I have a few more but I don't want this post to be too long-winded. Despite these holes I still think the game is very good and it was a fun ride.

#1. I believe she's trying to tell him about how you need to blow them up with fire; shooting them just pisses them off.
#2. Sam DOES tell Josh the Wendigo is Hannah if she finds the empty grave and Hannah's journal, both shortly before finding Josh. This is all it takes for her to put two and two together.
#3. It's a wolf. It lives there.
#4. At this point I think it's possible for everyone to simply assume anyone not accounted for is as good as dead (see also: Jessica)

the middle complaints are fair

Last one: The trap that causes him to lose his fingers is so totally a trap set by the Stranger to trap wendigos. It's a human hand (don't ask where he got it) and they eat human meat. It's even in the Stranger's territory, the Sanitorium. As far as we know Josh's gadgetry and vandalism only extended to the cabins and stuff; every one of his traps were designed to not hurt anyone.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Fair enough on all of the above. #2 did not play out that way for me because I missed one of those clues but got the other. In my game, Sam did not tell Josh about Hannah- although I've seen it happen in other playthroughs on Youtube -but apparently the one clue I did find counted anyway as the relevant scene played out as I said in my spoiler. It may have been a bug/scripting error on the game's part or just a bit of continuity they didn't think of.

edit: Thinking back, what causes Josh to recognize her in the relevant scene is spotting the tattoo and I guess that would happen regardless of whether he was told it was Hannah prior or not. I guess I'll give it a pass for that because it seems like they did consider that the player might find some of the evidence but not all of it, as I did, and integrated that possibility into the scene without altering it.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Sep 26, 2015

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

There's several times where the characters will comment to each other if you've found some but not all evidence in the area; they haven't quite figured it out yet.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

"This thing that kind of annoys me" isn't a plot hole.

Speedball posted:

#1. I believe she's trying to tell him about how you need to blow them up with fire; shooting them just pisses them off.

Also, most likely, that he really shouldn't kill them.

[quote="Speedball" post="450684351"]
Last one: The trap that causes him to lose his fingers is so totally a trap set by the Stranger to trap wendigos. It's a human hand (don't ask where he got it) and they eat human meat. It's even in the Stranger's territory, the Sanitorium. As far as we know Josh's gadgetry and vandalism only extended to the cabins and stuff; every one of his traps were designed to not hurt anyone.

I was wondering about that too, but it's entirely possible he's using the corpses from the sanitarium's morgue as bait for his traps. There's one drawer you can open that has a tag but no body, and I suppose those bodies have undergone a reasonable amount of decay for being inside a morgue drawer on top of a mountain in Canada for sixty years.

CJacobs posted:

Fair enough on all of the above. #2 did not play out that way for me because I missed one of those clues but got the other. In my game, Sam did not tell Josh about Hannah- although I've seen it happen in other playthroughs on Youtube -but apparently the one clue I did find counted anyway as the relevant scene played out as I said in my spoiler. It may have been a bug/scripting error on the game's part or just a bit of continuity they didn't think of.

Nobody seems to be quite sure at this point what triggers that scene. I know you have to find Hannah's diary near the water wheel in Episode 10, because that was what got Josh killed in my initial run. One of the main theories I've seen is that Sam has to see the tattoo card in Hannah's bedroom in Episode 2 as well as Hannah's mine diary, which means both of the relevant clues are specific to Sam; she puts two and two together, explains it to Josh, and thus Josh can figure it out when he sees Hannah's tattoo.

CJacobs posted:

Considering he has to have already been inside at some point to set up the rest of the stuff (the poo poo in the basement, the magical movie-trickery candle, etc) I'd assume that's more or less the truth.

I kind of doubt that. Josh doesn't look like he's been thrown into a combine harvester, so I'm guessing the wolverine was a happy accident. Chris is lucky the thing didn't tunnel through his head.

CJacobs posted:

In this batch:
1) Doesn't Emily say something like "I think Matt might be dead" regardless of how that scene played out? Given what she saw in the mines, it's not an unreasonable fear for her to have, and then they just never run into him or have a way to contact him, because he's lost in the tunnels for four hours.
2) Hannah is one of the only Wendigo that has the run of the mountain up until Mike blows up half the sanitarium, and she's lurking ominously in corners because of the Stranger's wards (he mentions them in his diary and you can find a bunch of them in the collapsed mine tunnel early on as Mike) and possibly because she recognizes her former friends. Even then, she ganks people roughly in the order in which she hated them, starting with Jessica, Matt, and Emily.

3) When you track down all of the totems, a lot of them are "pointless"; they're there as foreshadowing and to make you question your actions, not as any kind of real actionable intelligence. A lot of the totem flash-forwards depict scenes you may have already guaranteed you won't see, like the one in Episode 9 that shows Josh's "survival," or how you can find totems that show Jessica both dead and alive well before she's abducted.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Wanderer posted:

3) When you track down all of the totems, a lot of them are "pointless"; they're there as foreshadowing and to make you question your actions, not as any kind of real actionable intelligence. A lot of the totem flash-forwards depict scenes you may have already guaranteed you won't see, like the one in Episode 9 that shows Josh's "survival," or how you can find totems that show Jessica both dead and alive well before she's abducted.

That's why the one with Matt falling to his death is completely pointless. The only way to guarantee you will or will not see it is to decide to let go of the cliff and willingly fall to your death, or not. You get the death totem before the cliff scene (obv) and if you remember that your inclination will be "oh this is probably where that totem comes into play, note to self, don't fall off the cliff". But the only way Matt can fall off the cliff is if you straight-up say "yes I would like to fall off of this cliff now."

They could have instead made that totem foreshadow his death if he doesn't have the flare gun, but I think that'd just confuse that whole chain of events even more.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
The only clue required to trigger Josh recognizing Hannah is the diary. The diary is the only clue that triggers a Butterfly Effect, and basically flat-out tells you what all the other clues only hinted at.

Ekusukariba
Oct 11, 2012
The reason Sam says they have to go after Mike is because they were thinking it was just a single Wendigo, while the diary reveals there's lots, and right where Mike is headed

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

CJacobs posted:

That's why the one with Matt falling to his death is completely pointless. The only way to guarantee you will or will not see it is to decide to let go of the cliff and willingly fall to your death, or not. You get the death totem before the cliff scene (obv) and if you remember that your inclination will be "oh this is probably where that totem comes into play, note to self, don't fall off the cliff". But the only way Matt can fall off the cliff is if you straight-up say "yes I would like to fall off of this cliff now."

They could have instead made that totem foreshadow his death if he doesn't have the flare gun, but I think that'd just confuse that whole chain of events even more.

Those are only things you know in retrospect, and you find that totem before the showdown with the deer, and IIRC, before Matt and Emily have to inch around that narrow ledge to get onto the trail to the fire tower. The totem serves to tell you that there's a chance Matt could die in a fall, which raises the tension, as you don't know where the choice could pop up.

It's not a great example of how it's used, since yeah, pretty much everything Matt's involved in up until the mine sequence at the end of the game is something that could involve Matt potentially dying in a fall, but pretty much all the Death totems are used in that way.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

So I refuse to reload my save and test this, but I have to know: I'm at the part where The group goes after mike, climbs into the sewers, and Ashley has to choose between following Jessica's voice or rejoining the group. I rejoined the group... please tell me Jessica's voice was a wendigo imitating her, and following it ended up in brutal death. Because that would be so awesome.

Ekusukariba
Oct 11, 2012

Omi no Kami posted:

So I refuse to reload my save and test this, but I have to know: I'm at the part where The group goes after mike, climbs into the sewers, and Ashley has to choose between following Jessica's voice or rejoining the group. I rejoined the group... please tell me Jessica's voice was a wendigo imitating her, and following it ended up in brutal death. Because that would be so awesome.

you guessed right its the death that gets the most people, she opens up a trap door and has her head ripped off

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

That is awesome.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

This is getting onto an awfully thin limb, but in the ending Is it possible to keep Josh from turning by not killing any wendigo across the playthrough? I'm guessing it's impossible, at the very least I think Mike is forced to kill the two Sam helps him with, and there's no way to get out of the house without killing a few of them.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Omi no Kami posted:

This is getting onto an awfully thin limb, but in the ending Is it possible to keep Josh from turning by not killing any wendigo across the playthrough? I'm guessing it's impossible, at the very least I think Mike is forced to kill the two Sam helps him with, and there's no way to get out of the house without killing a few of them.

You're mandated to kill wendigos so it's unavoidable.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Omi no Kami posted:

There is no way to save Josh. Either he survives and becomes a Wendigo by recognizing Hannah, or he doesn't recognize her in time and she kills him on the spot. I gotta feel bad for the guy because he's like the only character who has no way to survive the story besides I guess the Stranger.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

CJacobs posted:

I gotta feel bad for the guy because he's like the only character who has no way to survive the story besides I guess the Stranger.

I was super-disappointed about the Stranger dying, even though it was pretty much guaranteed the instant they left the house. Do they ever explain exactly who he was? I was assuming he was either one of the miners who didn't turn to cannibalism, or that eco terrorist you hear about on the radio, but I can't recall finding confirmation of either.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

I had no idea you could explore the caves as Sam as thoroughly as you can. I just found out there's a third path you can take out of there that brings you to the sanitarium's back door in time to save Mike.

Omi no Kami posted:

I was super-disappointed about the Stranger dying, even though it was pretty much guaranteed the instant they left the house. Do they ever explain exactly who he was? I was assuming he was either one of the miners who didn't turn to cannibalism, or that eco terrorist you hear about on the radio, but I can't recall finding confirmation of either.

He's a Wendigo hunter, like his grandfather before him. You can turn back a page in his journal when Ashley's reading it for a hidden clue, and when you collect all the Totems, he narrates the unlocked video. His grandfather died trying to bring down the "alpha" Wendigo on the mountain, and he's there to finish the job.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Went for the "everyone dies" ending.

Emily spoilers: Shooting Emily makes her die with the most ridiculous expression on her face and she just is frozen there; Sam even leans against the same wall as dead Emily once.

To quote MST3K: "She died as she lived, with her mouth wide open.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Other thing I have heard secondhand but need to test: gun spoiler: Taking a potshot at the Wendigo that steals Jessica and successfully hitting it, when the big Hannah Wendigo shows up later it has a flattened bullet embedded in its forehead.

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

Wanderer posted:

I had no idea you could explore the caves as Sam as thoroughly as you can. I just found out there's a third path you can take out of there that brings you to the sanitarium's back door in time to save Mike.

You mean there's another path entirely? Because that's the one I took, I had no idea there was another.

Anyway, I really enjoyed this, I love how after decades of us screaming at idiots in films for splitting up or going down into loving basements, the developers gave us something that plays totally on many players obsessive, near OCD need to explore every goddamn nook and cranny for loot and clues and makes us just as loving dumb as those we've been berating. That said, I can at least say that I wasn't stupid enough to send Ashley off alone to investigate that voice in the caves! I mean, drat son, how many loving times have you seen that poo poo get someone killed, or worse?

Despite trying my damnedest to get Emily killed, she somehow survived, as did Matt, despite his moronic "Ooooooh, a flare gun! Thanks, Imma fire it right now! reaction. As for the rest...

I loving suspected Josh from the start but decided to try and save him regardless. Obviously, it stayed on track for him anyway, at which point I started thinking the entire thing was an insane Hannah gone full on psychokiller after a year in the wilderness. But as the clues built up a picture of Josh's plans and what happened in the asylum back in the 50s I had a rare flash of inspiration that got me wondering if it actually could be wendigos, which I only had the very vaguest awareness of from old folk tales, at which point the whole thing becomes dreadfully tragic as the penny drops regarding Hannah's true fate. Like, that is some hosed up poo poo.

Anyway, our players!

* Ashley - after seeing the totem warning, I had Chris do nothing and await death for both, figuring whoever survived wouldn't be allowed to live anyway. How wrong I was. Ashley made it out in one piece because hey, you can't have a horrific cabin in the woods experience and not have an Ash walk out like a boss, right?
* Chris - alas, poor Chris was not so lucky, decapitated by a wendigo after I hosed up a QTE. Oh well.
* Emily - gently caress me, this insufferable whiner just would not die. That said, I refused to take the shot after she was bitten, simply because who the gently caress assumes zombies and contagious bites right off the bat? And fair play to her, she was kind of badass in a way, making it through the mine and that horrendous chase sequence.
* Jessica - first one to go, I hosed up the river QTE and Mike took a tumble. Ooops.
* Josh - the good news is Josh survived! The bad news...well, you know the score. Poor crazy dude.
* Matt - I forgot all about him, it was a surprise when it switched back to him at the end just in time to get out of the mine and see the dawn. Such a loving loser, that guy.
* Mike - Mike! SuperMike, Agent of Hydra! Friend of wolves! Man of reduced fingers! I was upset when Wolfbro bought the farm...and even more upset when Mike fell right at the final loving hurdle because I panicked and got Sam the gently caress out of dodge. After all the poor bastard went through, FFS.
* Sam - Avoided the pyscho, pieced everything together, then hosed up and got Mike killed. gently caress you, Sam.

So yeah, room for improvement but could have been a lot worse. I must be getting old though because some of the QTEs really caught me out, and the less said about the DON'T MOVE moments the better, drat those always seemed to occur when I was holding the loving thing at some stupid angle or something.

I'm fine with it as a one-and-done so a lot of the replay criticisms don't really bother me as much. Would love to see another, perhaps anthology style as others have suggested. There are so many possibilities they could go with, a whole world of horror and settings to get gormless pretty young things killed in. Bring it on.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

i can't believe this slipped under my radar, but lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xaFkKayZAU0

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Homework Explainer posted:

i can't believe this slipped under my radar, but lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xaFkKayZAU0

Sweet. It's akin to The Evil Within's The Executioner dlc or Far Cry 3: Blood Dragon in terms of taking something that people are familiar with and then just saying gently caress it now for something completely different. I won't ever play it because virtual reality sucks, but it's a fun idea.

• Locked thread