Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

So I just checked:

Mike doesn't die if you screw up in the Sanatorium it looks like. It just cuts to black. Instead the scene post-rock climb is slightly longer. Sam goes into the Sanatorium and rescues him in the same way, he's just in a different location and he's a lot more beaten up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atomic Robo-Kid
Aug 18, 2008

.Blast.Processing.

Is anyone having problems with the "Don't Move" actions?

Now, ive barely played it and only did the tutorial squirrel one. Seems to be drat hard to keep steady and after a few tries i just put the controller down on a chair. I think I did the same trick in Heavy Rain.

Im not doing that for the rest of the game, feels cheap, would kill the tension. Really liking the game so far, as a huge horror fan its just what I imagined. The sound and music are great.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

It looks like the game encourages you to play the characters different ways in replays. I want to play them once as the dumbest jerks ever so it's fun when they die.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
I went to buy it and everywhere was sold out. Now to slowly download it online.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
You know, the weird thing about this game in retrospect is its gender politics as compared to the horror genre, and I don't mean that in a "social justice" sense. I feel like if this were an actual horror movie, Mike and Sam's positions in the script would be roughly flipped, where Sam is the one who explores half the mountaintop and Mike is the one who's essentially out of play for half the plot. Instead, Josh is driving most of the plot, Sam (and Ashley) are basically afterthoughts, and Mike gets to be Hero Guy for most of it.

Atomic Robo-Kid posted:

Is anyone having problems with the "Don't Move" actions?

Now, ive barely played it and only did the tutorial squirrel one. Seems to be drat hard to keep steady and after a few tries i just put the controller down on a chair. I think I did the same trick in Heavy Rain.

I thought they were a nice touch at first, because "don't move" tends to crop up when characters are hiding, and I found myself holding my breath to make sure the controller wouldn't shake, much in the same way as you'd expect the characters would be. I don't know if that was deliberate, but it's surprisingly immersive.

But yeah, the controller's way too goddamned sensitive for it, particularly with as important as those actions become in the endgame. I got Sam ganked at the last second because of it. I would hope that a theoretical sequel would, if it's possible, let you turn down the sensitivity.

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

This game looks sick, it seems to really get the slasher stuff right, from the gameplay videos ive watched. I wish I had a PS4 to play this, I doubt itll ever come to PC.

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

I feel like to play this game right you would have to pick one character and let all the other ones get killed off.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

RC Cola posted:

I went to buy it and everywhere was sold out. Now to slowly download it online.
I had the exact same problem. Totally wasn't expecting that. I had a conversation with the guy at Target about Peter Stormare though, so it wasn't a total waste.

caligulamprey fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Aug 26, 2015

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

The real horror of this game is every time Peter Stromare mugs for the camera.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

i got mine at a gamestop madden event where i was the only one picking up a copy but it's nice to hear the game is selling well. it's a cool niche title that does some interesting stuff and deserves to be built upon.

my power went out this afternoon, so mother nature is basically demanding i finish my playthrough at night.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Okay, I've been playing for awhile and does Matt die no matter what? i gave him the flare gun like the totem vision said and he just shot in the air, and got meat hooked a bit later with no apparent way to do anything about it.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Caidin posted:

Okay, I've been playing for awhile and does Matt die no matter what? i gave him the flare gun like the totem vision said and he just shot in the air, and got meat hooked a bit later with no apparent way to do anything about it.

Apparently the only way to get him to hold onto the flare gun is to disagree with Emily's plan to go to the tower, then have Emily hand him the flare gun once you're up there.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Caidin posted:

You need to have him disagree with Emily since if he agrees he'll shoot off the flare for help.

That is BY FAR the hardest death in the game to avoid and probably the only one that isn't clearly defined in the Butterfly Effect.

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008
That's Weird, because I gave him the flare gun but I also had him agree about going to the tower and he didn't get meat hooked in my game...

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Wanderer posted:

Apparently the only way to get him to hold onto the flare gun is to disagree with Emily's plan to go to the tower, then have Emily hand him the flare gun once you're up there.

ImpAtom posted:

You need to have him disagree with Emily since if he agrees he'll shoot off the flare for help.

That is BY FAR the hardest death in the game to avoid and probably the only one that isn't clearly defined in the Butterfly Effect.

That doesn't quite make sense to me but this is basically an adventure game so alright.

Also some late game spoilers here, Mike you idiot, wendigo's aren't loving zombies.

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

How's everyone rollin' controller-wise? I figure I'd go with the motion stuff considering it was designed from the get-go as a Move game, but then again I also managed to punch myself in the face while playing Heavy Rain because of motion controls.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

from the first 2 hours or so the game seems to rule. will confirm tomorrow when i see the second half.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

Caidin posted:

That doesn't quite make sense to me but this is basically an adventure game so alright.

If he thinks there's a chance they'll be rescued, he'll use the flare gun for its intended purpose. If he doesn't, he takes the flare gun and instead keeps it in reserve as an improvised weapon against the "psycho."

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

Ahahahha! Peter Stormare's analyst character almost feels like a William Castle gimmick and his introduction is absolutely worth $60.

caligulamprey fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Aug 26, 2015

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

Mechathief posted:

That's Weird, because I gave him the flare gun but I also had him agree about going to the tower and he didn't get meat hooked in my game...

did you try to save emily twice? if you jump to safety there's never any risk of getting some hangout time on the ol' meat hook. but it severely drops your relationship level with emily, not like that's a major concern when she's the character easiest to despise.

Atomic Robo-Kid
Aug 18, 2008

.Blast.Processing.

caligulamprey posted:

How's everyone rollin' controller-wise? I figure I'd go with the motion stuff considering it was designed from the get-go as a Move game, but then again I also managed to punch myself in the face while playing Heavy Rain because of motion controls.

Motion controls could be fun, in theory, if you're expecting to screw up here and there due to wonky control issues. I haven't touched motion, only traditional. Im barely an hour in, past chapter 1 I guess? (2nd therapist scene)

Id feel cheated if I caused a death just because I can't point the controller right. I want any of my screwups on 1st playthrough to be either a bad choice or a missed prompt/missed Don't Move.

Move controls would be fun for another play and Im expecting it to screw me up.

abagofcheetos
Oct 29, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
How long is a first time through having fun not speeding playthrough?

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

abagofcheetos posted:

i'm not done yet but i've been super diligent in exploring and it took me about four hours to finish chapter 5. not an exact measure, but there you are

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008

Homework Explainer posted:

did you try to save emily twice? if you jump to safety there's never any risk of getting some hangout time on the ol' meat hook. but it severely drops your relationship level with emily, not like that's a major concern when she's the character easiest to despise.

I did indeed jump to safety. I actually was trying to save her despite her best attempts at convincing me otherwise, I just didn't think doing it from that broken, falling hosed-up platform was safe.

Lastdancer fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Aug 26, 2015

Lastdancer
Apr 21, 2008

abagofcheetos posted:

It took me ~9 hours and I was trying to comb the areas for clues and totems throughout pretty much all of it.

Quote != edit, whoops.

The Bananana
May 21, 2008

This is a metaphor, a Christian allegory. The fact that I have to explain to you that Jesus is the Warthog, and the Banana is drepanocytosis is just embarrassing for you.

Has anyone noticed the "teens" all look like late 20's early 30-somethings?

caligulamprey
Jan 23, 2007

It never stops.

The Bananana posted:

Just like real slasher movies. :allears:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Bananana posted:

I assumed this was an intentional homage to the fact that real horror movies do the same thing.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

i've really enjoyed things so far, but two issues stick out to me: the "don't move!" frustrations mentioned earlier (i stood stock still, muscles clenched, breath held and sam was captured by the psycho anyway) and the fact there's no option to invert the y-axis. like, it is 2015. come on

HampHamp
Oct 30, 2006
For those of you having problems on the parts where you need to keep the controller still, apparently resetting the controller using the button on the back can help? A few people here and there are having the same issue.

Looking forward to picking this up on Friday!

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

are there inverse y axis optinons in this game its pretty dumb if not.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

there aren't. i haven't missed any key shots yet (saved matt with the flare gun no problem), but if there are faster-paced qtes later that i mess up due to invert muscle memory i'll be peeved

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Nah, all the aiming QTEs give you an eternity to hit.

Donovan Trip
Jan 6, 2007
I rented this game this afternoon not sure what to expect. Tbh, in the beginning I was really unsure I was going to enjoy myself but the excellently timed intriguing moments with Stormare kept me interested until this games hooks were so deep in both my girlfriend and I that we've now nearly completed it.

This game makes terrific references to horror films of multiple types, from monster flicks to slasher flicks, "cerebral" horror to Scream, from Descent all the way to something akin to Kujo, and sprinkles in other themes like native American occultism. It captures so much of what I love about horror in a familiar story that effortlessly encapsulates so many types of horror film.

It even manages to make these thoroughly abused archetypes likeable despite their inadequacy as people, with memorable performances
and incredible motion capture, which is easily among the best of all time.

The lighting is some of the prettiest I've ever seen. Until Dawn is gorgeous, aside from a few odd looking toothy smiles.

Charging my controller while I post this, about to polish off the last of the whiskey and power through the end here. If you're on the fence about experiencing this game, the way I'd look at it is if you enjoy telltale and walking simulators, this is better than 95% of any of that poo poo.

Donovan Trip fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Aug 26, 2015

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

yeah it puts sherlock holmes to shame in how slick as gently caress it is that's for sure.

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

This game was well worth the Redbox.

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

Im not done yet, but I'm nearing the end. I'm not one for this type of game but I really like it. I had figured I wouldnt even care about playing it again and now I might to gently caress around and also try better.

The game looks beautiful and plays pretty good; lots of walking. I wouldnt say it's worth buying if you're on the fence (im cheap and po') unless you think you'll replay it. Definitely rent it at least, truly worth a playthrough.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

The Bananana posted:

Yes, but the dialogue offsets it

Trash Trick
Apr 17, 2014

The slow walking is by far the worst part but there are lots of fun creepy little moments and the QTEs are actually pretty tense and rewarding what with offering you the ability to take shortcuts with super fast prompts. I'm not done with my first playthrough but my teens are dropping like flies. Really hosed em good. Was handing off the controller to a friend from chapter to chapter so it was pretty silly.

e: Fuuuuuck you can't skip cutscenes on subsequent playthroughs? That sucks rear end!!

Trash Trick fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Aug 26, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
I decided to try to play this game as close as possible to what I thought the characters would actually do.

Everyone but Sam died. One part was actually kind of comical because due to Ashley's inquisitive nature I had her fall for the Wendigo's voice luring trick in the late game, and then immediately after that due to Chris' protective nature he fell for the same trap. It took everything I had to commit to that one because with the knowledge I had it was such an incredibly obviously bad move.

• Locked thread