Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Yoshi's Woolly World is a Wii U game by Good-Feel Co. (Kirby's Epic Yarn, Streetpass games, Wario Land: Shake It!). It's essentially a Yoshi series platformer game where everything in the game world is made of wool and other fabrics! Nice!!!

Woolly World is a platform game in which the player assumes the role of Yoshi. Similar to developer Good-Feel's Kirby's Epic Yarn, the game is set in a world where the characters and environment are composed of yarn and cloth. Yoshi retains much of his moveset from the Yoshi's Island series of games, including using his tongue to swallow enemies and using his flutter jump to reach hard areas, and many elements such as flowers and mystery clouds return. However, unlike other games where swallowing enemies would produce eggs which Yoshi could then throw, Yoshi instead produces balls of yarn. These yarn balls have various uses when thrown, such as tying up enemies or filling in certain platforms and objects. Players can also gather white chicks, which produce temporary cloud platforms when thrown. The game also supports up to two players cooperatively, with players able to swallow and throw their partners, allowing them to reach otherwise inaccessible areas. In addition, Yoshi will be able to progress through the game by utilizing woolen transformations,[4] such as turning his legs into wheels.[citation needed]

Release dates
Europe: OUT NOW!
Japan: July 16th 2015
America: October 16th 2015

Stuff you can buy!

- Standalone game
- Game + Green Yarn Yoshi bundle
- Standalone Green, Pink and Blue Yarn Yoshis

Story
Kamek stole Yoshi's wool?? collection?????

Soundtrack
It's incredible! Have a listen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcfOwh8koYM https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uokN9BkFqy8

FAQ
Q: Does it have off-screen play?
A: Yes

Q: Can I play with my Pro Controller / Classic Controller / Wiimote?!
A: Yes

Q: What kind of challenges does the game offer?
A: There are four stars for every level - finishing with no damage, collecting all the yarn, collecting all the flowers and collecting all the Miiverse stamp points. Collecting all the yarn unlocks new Yoshis. Collecting all the flowers in a World unlocks a bonus level.

Q: This game has Miiverse stamps?
A: Yep! Similar to 3D World, players wander the hub giving their hot Miiverse takes and you can see Miiverse posts about each level as the game loads in/out.

Q: Is there co-op?
A: Yes and it's pretty fun

Q: Is there online play?
A: Of course not

Q: This game is way too hard! Is there an easy mode?
A: Yes, it's called Mellow Mode and it lets you fly around the level with a pair of Yoshi wings. If you're still loving up some how, the game also gives you an invincibility egg after X number of deaths.

Q: This game is way too easy! Is there a hard mode?
A: Chill the gently caress out man

amiibo
In Woolly World, all Yoshi amiibos unlock a helper partner that controls like Double Cherry Mario from 3D World. It's kinda stupid and doesn't really help you in any way! Cool! All other (non-Pokemon) amiibo unlock character-themed patterns for Yoshi. You can save your favourite pattern to your Yarn Yoshi amiibos if you want too?? Cute/horrific!

Screenshots!

Reviews
NintendoWorldReport – 8.5 / 10
GameReactor – 9 / 10
VideoGamer – 6 / 10
Nintendo Life – 9 / 10
GameSpot – 6 / 10
DigitalSpy – 3 / 5
GamesRadar – 3.5 / 5
Gameblog – 8/10
Jeuxvideo.com – 14/20
Multiplayer.it – 9/10
Everyeye.it – 8.5/10
IGN Italia – 8.2
Spaziogames.it – 8/10
Fok – 9
XGN – 9
Eurogamer.it – 8/10
Eurogamer.es – recommended
IGN – 7.4
Wiitalia.it – 8/10
Metacritic – 79
Cat Machine, me, the OP of this thread - 8/10

Cat Machine fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Jun 30, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not a Twat
Oct 11, 2010

Oops you almost got away without your Diddy
It's spelt "Woolly"

It's a fun game. Pro tip: Poochy barks at invisible clouds.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Hope you like collecting many a thing:

While it doesn't have level building, at least on the platform and level design side this game is what LittleBigPlanet wished it ever could be.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Saoshyant posted:

While it doesn't have level building, at least on the platform and level design side this game is what LittleBigPlanet wished it ever could be.

Great, now when I play with the bf i'm gonna be yelling at him whenever we miss a collectable. It's always his fault :argh:

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Not a Twat posted:

It's spelt "Woolly"
awwwww dammit, can a mod please fix

Also can we get a shoutout to this game's incredible OST

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lcfOwh8koYM

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

how many stages are in the game

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

MinibarMatchman posted:

how many stages are in the game
6 worlds, 8 stages in a world, plus a bonus stage on each world and an extra stage - 55.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Saoshyant posted:

Oh hell yeah!!!! I can't wait to play this in NA. How is it to those who have already got their hands on it? I'm a huge fan of Island but none of the sequels have ever grabbed me, but this looks great.

Deki
May 12, 2008

It's Hammer Time!
Why is this out in Europe but months out for America? Goddamnit Nintendo.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Is this the thread where we Europeans point and laugh at the Americans?
The delay is probably caused by their need to add angry eyebrows to Yoshi, he must be at least as hardcore as Kirby.

I've so far played and fully completed 3 levels. It's a very fun game. It's very pretty with good attention to detail and music is mostly good. The only things that annoy me are the high pitched whistle in some of the songs (like in 1-1) and the excessive amounts of blur they use in the background.

I liked Kirby Epic Yarn, but the game lacked something. They seem to have found what was missing in this installment.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

In Training posted:

Oh hell yeah!!!! I can't wait to play this in NA. How is it to those who have already got their hands on it? I'm a huge fan of Island but none of the sequels have ever grabbed me, but this looks great.
It plays a lot like Island and Story with a few yarn-based gimmicks thrown in. The transformations are cool. The visuals and music make it incredibly enjoyable. It's the embodiment of a Chill Game.

Vookatos
May 2, 2013
So, I just beat this game (not 100% yet) and I think I like it more than Island simply because you don't have to 100% a level every time you missed something. Also transformations are better implemented and easier to control, and overall aesthetic is nicer, in my opinion. Probably the only things that I disliked were invisible clouds and the final boss. Well, with the final boss, it's hard to top Island, but after the amazing final level I expected more than a retread of Island Baby Bowser with a few new attacks :(
There was only one level I disliked and don't want to come back to it. Spoilers if you care about level gimmicks. Magic Carpet level was hard to control, full of big open areas, and it annoyed the poo poo out of me. Other than that - all levels were just fantastic! Some of them were actually really hard, and I enjoyed the fact that game had no lives. I hope other Nintendo platformers will follow that. Also every time you die, music just continues, kinda like Meat Boy, which is neat!
Also, late game spoiler. I'm now trying to beat Wonderful World of Wool and one of the sections is literally Poochy Ain't Stupid :allears:
Overall, it's a sequel to Yoshi's Island that doesn't feel like a ROMhack, and I feel really sorry that some people will have to wait for October to play it, because it is loving amazing!

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.

Saoshyant posted:

Yesssss

October can't come soon enough.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Maybe I'm just dumb, but this wasn't obvious to me at first so I'll just say it here: the badges you can use at the start of a level aren't consumable items, once you've unlocked one you can use it as much as you like, so long as you have the gems to spend. So if you want to bring Poochy into any level or make all invisible clouds visible or have items drawn towards you when you come close then knock yourself out, no need to worry about saving them for harder levels.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Darth TNT posted:

Is this the thread where we Europeans point and laugh at the Americans?
The delay is probably caused by their need to add angry eyebrows to Yoshi, he must be at least as hardcore as Kirby.

This and the amiibo thread :yoshi:.

I'm loving the game so far, but the Rapids level in World 4 can go right to hell. gently caress those goddamn smug-faced oversized fish :argh:.

Flint_Paper
Jun 7, 2004

This isn't cool at all Looshkin! These are dark forces you're titting about with!

This game is just SUPER lovely. Very much a fitting successor to Yoshi's Island.

I'm only halfway through the third world at the moment, but that's because I'm making myself find every collectible in a level before going on to the next. Some are a royal pain, but the levels are fun enough (not to mention loving GORGEOUS) that I don't really mind the repetition. The level design and detailing in the world is just heartbreakingly adorable.

oliven
Jan 25, 2006

love all cats
I loved the poo poo out of this. Got all the Yoshis and all the flowers, but got a few more stars and stamps left before it's 100% complete.

I played through the entire thing in co-op mode, which was a mixed bag of ups and downs. Some levels are easier with two players (ability to shoot each other to inaccessible areas, jump boosting each other), while other levels are a lot harder with two people (the curtain sidescrollers and the flying carpets, jesus christ). In certain parts one of us had to either eat the other Yoshi or die on purpose just to get through.

They really went to town with the wool theme, too. Everything is just so thought out and perfect.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

It's still really upsetting me that I hosed up the thread title

e: thanks mods

Cat Machine fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Aug 3, 2015

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
This game carries on the modern 2D Mario tradition of having lazy boring bosses but everything else about it is quite fun, even if it still feels like an Island retread.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

This game carries on the modern 2D Mario tradition of having lazy boring bosses but everything else about it is quite fun, even if it still feels like an Island retread.

I think the Giant Sniffit fight is pretty good, and requires a bit of thought beyond "bop the head".

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Are there any woolly mammoths in this game?

Cicadas!
Oct 27, 2010

If I live in the US and don't want to wait until loving October, are there any negative repercussions to just ordering a British copy of this game or something and playing that? Does the Wii-U do the region-locking thing?

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Cicadas! posted:

If I live in the US and don't want to wait until loving October, are there any negative repercussions to just ordering a British copy of this game or something and playing that? Does the Wii-U do the region-locking thing?

Yes, the WiiU is region-locked. Enjoy your wait until October :v:.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Cicadas! posted:

I think it is region locked. Just wait it out.

The game is absolutely fantastic by the way. You're really missing out on this masterpiece.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

That we are totally playing but which you can't. Nope. Gotta wait out.

Oh no, no, no, don't get us wrong. The rest of the world is totally not enjoying making fun of the yankees who don't get to play a game first than us as it usually goes. :sparkles:

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Saoshyant posted:

That we are totally playing but which you can't. Nope. Gotta wait out.

Oh no, no, no, don't get us wrong. The rest of the world is totally not enjoying making fun of the yankees who don't get to play a game first than us as it usually goes. :sparkles:

Don't forget the Woolly Yoshi amiibo's. The adorable, huggable, fuzzy Yoshi amiibo's....

I named mine Fuzzy.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.
I can't wait to see the amiibo skins for Duck Hunt and R.O.B. and Mr. Game & Watch.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

I can't wait to see the amiibo skins for Duck Hunt and R.O.B. and Mr. Game & Watch.

The Olimar one is fantastic. It's his spacesuit with Yoshi's three head-spikes each the colour of one of the three primary Pikmin colours :allears:.

oopsie rock
Oct 12, 2012

Alfalfa The Roach posted:

Will every single amiibo activate its own reskin?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

oopsie rock posted:

If not all of them I think nearly all of them are listed as having their own skin in-game.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

oopsie rock posted:

The Pokemon don't activate skins.

Also, it's the cutest game. Not even Kirby can dethrone it.

oopsie rock
Oct 12, 2012

Darth TNT posted:

Ah yes, I remember the bit about Pokemon now. Thanks!

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Darth TNT posted:

WRONG

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

But Pokemon really don't activate skins. :smith:

Black Mage Knight
Jan 25, 2012

stop biting my cape

Darth TNT posted:

I don't know, I am playing Kirby and the Rainbow Curse right now and the Secret Diary entries are kind of the cutest thing.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Oh my god some of the special stages are infuriating to try in coop.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

bump. this game came out in the US. it's good

_Endgame_
Jun 19, 2010

NERF THIS!
This game is fantastic. Finally a true successor to Yoshi Gear. It has been 3000 18 years and trying to collect everything is actually difficult and rewarding. Baby game my rear end.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
Baby game: My rear end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

virtualboyCOLOR
Dec 22, 2004

Holy poo poo this game is amazing. Basically the sequel to Yoshi's Island we've been waiting for.

• Locked thread