Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

I’ve got everything for the Zenith except the enchanted sword. Has anyone used a seed recently, or is the save editor updated for the recent patch?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

Shiny777 posted:

They did back in 1.4, according to the wiki. It still technically works, but the chance of spawning anything from grass or flowers is reduced to 0.0001% of the base chance if you're wearing the boots.

Understandable. But also RIP

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
So you can't use flower boots or statues anymore. What's the meta for farming up decent fishing bait then?

Eikre
May 2, 2009
Smashing plants in the jungle. If really want to turbo-farm it then you can build an array of actuated jungle grass with two spaces between every row, I suppose.

Honestly, though, the game is tuned with the understanding that fishing will quickly grow tedious if you're doing it for more than a few minutes at a time, and I don't strain to break from the schedule they've incentivized.

This is my two paragraph guide, if anyone cares for one: you refrain from fishing until you've got a surplus of iron at the very least, although I honestly can't usually be hosed until I've cracked open the Eye. Aside from letting you make a rod worth a drat, this also puts you in enough equipment to comfortably make the overland jaunt to stake out some ponds and go find the Angler. If, at this point, you've collected any water-breathing potions, you bring those with you to the ocean, because you want some motherfuckin coral. This early stage of the game also coincides with about the time you should have a small cache of worms (either from cans of them that you found in caves, or by spending a rainy day swinging a net in town) and some spare fallen stars; you combine them to make 35% bait, which is really rather decent.

From there, you embark on a fishing trip only to take up the Angler on his quests, and hey, with that coral and waterleaf you got during your grand surface expedition, you can start popping sonar potions on the very first trip. The real meta strategy you employ here is to fish for eight minutes (which is the duration sonar and fishing potiona, and exactly twice the duration of two crate potions), throwing every quest fish you get in a piggy bank, because the game will prevent you from catching any extras if there's one in your character inventory. You withdraw and stockpile these in chests next to your angler so that you can just hand them over immediately on subsequent days.

Between crates and multiple days of zero-effort angler rewards, you rapidly end up with enough bait to remain fully stocked in perpetuity.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

The quickest substitution in the history of the NBA
In my experience once I had small stock of bait built up, fishing itself returned enough bait to self sustain

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Whats bothering me most, aside from not really doing enough damage and everything better seemingly being locked behind the mech bosses, is that I hosed up getting the bundle of horseshoe balloons. Cant seem to find any more balloons to round it out.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

you can get the balloons out of sky crates iirc but honestly the bundle of balloons gets pretty redundant once you can get wings. if you can kill one mech boss without it you can get the jetpack which is functionally similar but better

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Wings also turn off falling damage even if you're not gliding, I believe, so the horseshoe part is also redundant.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
I think you can just build the jungle wings which are pretty late tier as soon as you get to hardmode.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Wait a minute. Holy loving jesus. I just beat skelprime, and I'd read some item info for things that can be made once one mech boss has been defeated. But I have to defeat the other two as well before I can mine chlorophyte? Wonderful.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
You can make some stuff from hallowed bars after one of them, like Excalibur which is much stronger now.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

yeah, use your hallowed bars wisely and the other two mechafuckers should be a bit easier

That Guy Bob
Apr 30, 2009
Destroyer can still be cheesed with a tall platform and the Daedalus Stormbow right? And the Twins are hilariously easy with a ranged weapon and a couple of gravity potions.

Emberfox
Jan 15, 2005

~rero rero rero rero rero
I kind of want to play modded terraria again, but Calamity is a bit much. Looking at Thorium, they have yet to update for 1.4.x. Is there any other big content mods available?

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Center in, pull back. Stop. Track 45 right. Stop. Center and stop.

Dragging this thread back from the dead, I've been playing through the latest update, and enjoying it. I'm getting geared up and preparing an arena to fight the wall of flesh, but the guides I've been looking at say I probably need to quarantine my biomes to prevent contamination from the corruption.

I cannot think of a more boring way to spend a couple hours than tunneling or bombing my way through hundreds of in-game miles of rock and dirt. Do I really need to do this? If so, how do I do it in the least painful way possible? I have a molten pickaxe, but really no digging potions, or any explosives more than sticky bombs.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Put together the mining set (mining helmet, miner's shirt, miner's pants) and put it in a load out slot to swap to. Be amazed at how significant a change it feels.

Alternatively I believe it doesn't actually significantly matter to do so anymore, unless you specifically want to keep fishing quests on the slightly less tedious side?

It's been a while though, so grain of salt and all that.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

null_pointer posted:

Dragging this thread back from the dead, I've been playing through the latest update, and enjoying it. I'm getting geared up and preparing an arena to fight the wall of flesh, but the guides I've been looking at say I probably need to quarantine my biomes to prevent contamination from the corruption.

I cannot think of a more boring way to spend a couple hours than tunneling or bombing my way through hundreds of in-game miles of rock and dirt. Do I really need to do this? If so, how do I do it in the least painful way possible? I have a molten pickaxe, but really no digging potions, or any explosives more than sticky bombs.
Not really, and you will in fact want corrupted or hallowed versions of some biomes for new drops. You may need to rebuild bases tsomewhere else to get pylons back online if you have bad luck.

NachtSieger
Apr 10, 2013

null_pointer posted:

Do I really need to do this?

No.

Slum Loser
May 6, 2011

null_pointer posted:

You don't need to do this. It's a hard mental block to overcome but I've only found it necessary if a biome-specific village and pylon were in danger of being corrupted and abandoned. Even then, it's probably just as quick to make a floating island biome and call it a day, plus there's de-corrupting equipment (and potions that highlight corrupted blocks) later on. Usually the one place I don't want corruption gets hit right off the start of hardmode and I just sigh and continue.

If you really want to dig out quarantine ditches now, use one of your alternate loadouts to gear up with ancient chisel, mining set, etc... and use potions and your nightmare/crimson pickaxe because they're faster. Hardmode pickaxes are even faster if you don't mind some spread and a much higher chance of dying.

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Sweet. A couple more questions, since you guys were so quick to reply.

Should I still tunnel out around my bases, at least, so I can keep pylon functionality? (Edit: answered, above)

Is there any way for me to get the ocean pylon come before the pirate shows up? I can't get both the merchant and the angler happy.

I'm getting a little antsy and would like to get into hard mode, soonish. I'm rocking the dark lance and a magic staff, right now, and they're doing well but I know that once I trigger hard mode I'll be severely undergunned. Are there any weapons I should be looking for?

Lastly, are there any places that I can download good houses from? I have no talent for building, and I'm sick of just making my standard apartment box slums, but anything I'm seeing on curse forge is either completely overdone, or just trash.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

the easiest early way to get the ocean pylon is with the stylist

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

Evil Kit posted:

Put together the mining set (mining helmet, miner's shirt, miner's pants) and put it in a load out slot to swap to. Be amazed at how significant a change it feels.

Alternatively I believe it doesn't actually significantly matter to do so anymore, unless you specifically want to keep fishing quests on the slightly less tedious side?

It's been a while though, so grain of salt and all that.

In addition to a mining set digging down, you can now get the mole cart much earlier.

The mole cart digs a 5-6 tile high horizontal path for you and lays iron tracks. It was honestly a lot of fun setting up subways with the cart and makes getting around my map much easier.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

i do love the pylons a lot and they definitely made the game better, but there’s a part of me that misses making a cross-world subway tunnel

Slum Loser
May 6, 2011

null_pointer posted:

Is there any way for me to get the ocean pylon come before the pirate shows up? I can't get both the merchant and the angler happy.

I'm getting a little antsy and would like to get into hard mode, soonish. I'm rocking the dark lance and a magic staff, right now, and they're doing well but I know that once I trigger hard mode I'll be severely undergunned. Are there any weapons I should be looking for?

Lastly, are there any places that I can download good houses from? I have no talent for building, and I'm sick of just making my standard apartment box slums, but anything I'm seeing on curse forge is either completely overdone, or just trash.

I always put the hairdresser and/or partygirl with the angler by the ocean, seems to work to qualify for pylon in every game I played lately.

Flamelash and the Hellwing bow are OK for starting hardmode, but you'll be undergunned regardless unless you make a Night's Edge, and even that will only get you so far. Demon Scythe isn't bad either. Getting wrecked by the new monsters a few times before you find a half-decent weapon is half the charm of early hardmode, and then the bosses start wrecking you.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Getting NPCs happy is a cluster and you should just look up on the wiki who groups together best so you can buy a pylon in a biome. You never need to enter hard mode to get a pylon as far as I'm aware

Also just jump into hard mode, the only actual prep I'd recommend is digging/blasting out an area that's (I think?) 200x200 so you can set up a ginder of some sort before you deal with hard mode monsters. It's tedious, but saves you an infinite amount of time on the long run. Also much easier to do in normal.

Donkringel posted:

In addition to a mining set digging down, you can now get the mole cart much earlier.

The mole cart digs a 5-6 tile high horizontal path for you and lays iron tracks. It was honestly a lot of fun setting up subways with the cart and makes getting around my map much easier.

I've heard about the mole cart but not gotten to mess with it, sounds really nice.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Slum Loser posted:

You don't need to do this. It's a hard mental block to overcome but I've only found it necessary if a biome-specific village and pylon were in danger of being corrupted and abandoned. Even then, it's probably just as quick to make a floating island biome and call it a day, plus there's de-corrupting equipment (and potions that highlight corrupted blocks) later on. Usually the one place I don't want corruption gets hit right off the start of hardmode and I just sigh and continue.

If you really want to dig out quarantine ditches now, use one of your alternate loadouts to gear up with ancient chisel, mining set, etc... and use potions and your nightmare/crimson pickaxe because they're faster. Hardmode pickaxes are even faster if you don't mind some spread and a much higher chance of dying.

One thing to worry about is if you did not build your home base dead center, it might get hit by or be very close to the initial corruption/hallow stripes.

Which is why I always build roughly at spawn.

null_pointer posted:

Only the person selling the pylon needs to be happy. Everybody else can be miserable, and they don't need to be happy to power the pylon. If somebody does not do something that costs money, you don't need to care about their happiness at all.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

null_pointer posted:

About the only significant upgrade over the Dark Lance for melee weapons is going to be a Sunfury. Better damage but pretty slow. Consider stocking up on grenades, too. They come in handy.

My hardmode weapon advice is that one of the first things to do is trigger a Goblin Invasion. The Shadowflame Knife is a fairly common drop from the one new enemy that shows up - ranged but uses melee buffs, really spammable, 38 damage plus a guaranteed 15 damage/second debuff.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Phoenix Blaster is pretty good in my experience, especially with autoswing on.

Mad Dragon
Feb 29, 2004

Play Journey mode. Turn corruption spread off. :smuggo:

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

I've switched to a Volcano sword and am considering crafting a Night's Edge before summoning the Wall, but I gave my Muramasa to my daughter for her character. So either I take it back and swap it out with something comparable (it really is a good melee weapon for mid pre-hardmode, but that is not a Cool Dad thing to do) or I spawn a new world so I can farm the dungeon again.

I can't find anything with as good a balance of speed, damage and auto swing, though, so it looks like I may be out of luck. I can summon Skeletron without having to do any other bosses, right?

Edit: hold the phone, someone mentioned the phoenix blaster and I think I have the handgun stashed in a chest, somewhere...

null_pointer fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Jan 27, 2023

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

Pro tip: autoswing for all weapons is now an accessibility option you can turn on. You should turn it on.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
I finally beat Master Mode, ML is such a pain in the rear end

null_pointer
Nov 9, 2004

Any suggestions on creating a crafting/storage area which lends itself to good organization of loot, well still having easy access to crafting?

A lot of the designs I see, online, seem to prioritize spreading your loot out over a dozen chests (with or without signs) or super efficient arrangements of crafting tools, like anvils, workbenches, and the like. I'm not really seeing any that make it easy to get at your loot and then craft it, while you're there.

Early on, it was easy to keep most stuff and one or two chests, and to be able to get everything you need from a single crafting session. As the game goes on, it seems like recipes are getting more complicated, and you need to know what ingredients you need beforehand; just opening up one chest and seeing what you can do is no longer an option.

Any suggestions or examples?

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

null_pointer posted:

Any suggestions on creating a crafting/storage area which lends itself to good organization of loot, well still having easy access to crafting?

. . .

Any suggestions or examples?

Nothing but mods will solve your problem in precisely the way you want it solved (Magic Storage being my favorite), but I suggest both making good use of the Quick Stack To Chests feature if you're not already, and having a big Main House that the Guide lives in. When you find or craft something new, it should be convenient to take a few steps over and ask him about it.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
So I'm trying to see if terraria is good on steam deck and I'm finding the controls really weird. Does anyone playing on steam deck have any suggestions? What is a smart cursor.

Edit: I figured most of it out and have a brand spanking new custom control scheme that feels miles better.

Kwolok fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Mar 2, 2023

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Kids and I are back at this yet again.

Is there any sort of tool for aiding journey mode research that’ll look at what you’ve unlocked and tell you what else you could unlock with your current research?

I’ve found this tool that looks at your player and tells you what from each category you have https://yal.cc/game-tools/terraria-research/ but that does nothing to reveal the crafting tree. Like, say I’ve researched copper ore, the forge, and the anvil, I want something that says, “well, you can make bars, and then armor and weapons and tools” and so on.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
Talk to the guide and he'll have a little item slot. If you put something there it'll show everything you can craft with it and the recipe. Though for copper ore, say, it'll show you bars but not what you can make with the bars. You'll have to make a bar and put it there.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I'd recommend just checking the wiki.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Hmm, I was hoping for something less precise. I mean, I already have half a thousand items researched, I don't want to go through each of 'em with the guide, and looking them up on the wiki is similarly labor-intensive.

I wonder how what format the game files and player files are in...

e: meh, they're encrypted, although the decryption is a solved problem, but even then I'd have to figure out the format or find a tool that has and crib from that. I'll just stick with trying to catch what I can by just playing the game and then occasionally use that tool I linked up there to look for obvious glaring holes. Not at all going for 100% or anything here, was mostly just curious if an easy-button already existed. :)

e again: oh, actually, looks like terrasavr will export your current research accomplishments, that's half the effort right there. Aaaaaaand I found a json version of the game's item list, along with ingredients by ID. Okay, so this is solvable now. Huh.

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Mar 19, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

In other news, how's that Red Cloud remake doing?