Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Well I got my rear end handed to me and then they flew away. I noticed before I got slaughtered that they have upwards of 20,000+ health so I have no idea how I'm supposed to fight them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

You can stash your cash in chests, safes and piggybanks if you didn't know that. I have a vague recollection that you can spend money that's in your character's piggybank and maybe safe as well.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!
EDIT: ^^ Yes, piggy bank money (and I THINK safe money?) counts when you're at a shop, even if the shop is waaaaaaaaaaaay underground.

My experience fighting them the last time I played was pretty rough but it was made a lot easier by some preparation. Got myself some Adamantium/Titanium armor, made myself some Wings, and built a large, multilevel platform arena. The Adamantium/Titanium was easy enough to grab, I just skimmed along the roof of Hell since the Tier 3 Hardmode Ores tend to spawn deeper than not, with the added bonus of being the safest place in the game at that point. You'll need Souls of Flight from Wyverns that spawn in sky areas. if you built yourself a skybridge, that's the place you'll find them trusting it's high enough.

A good sized Arena is going to be the biggest help. Having a place where you can rather freely move around is a godsend against the mechanical bosses. All I did was make rows of floating platforms a few screens across and a few screens high, vertically spaced based on the highest point I can place while standing on the platform below. Simple, but it worked. I'm sure other people could give you tons of pointers on how to maximize your Arena Effectiveness, though.

DOUBLE EDIT: oh, and POTIONS! I hadn't really used many potions during Normal mode except for healing, but in Hardmode I found that I really, REALLY needed to stack potion buffs to stand a chance. Get producin'.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
What's a good way to get started with farming materials for making potions? I haven't bothered with that at all since I got so much stuff from chests underground etc.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

CJacobs posted:

Well I got my rear end handed to me and then they flew away. I noticed before I got slaughtered that they have upwards of 20,000+ health so I have no idea how I'm supposed to fight them.

You can pull it off in single player with a clockwork rifle, or by cheesing the Destroyer (hard mode eater of worlds) to get the components for building a Megashark, but honestly the real answer is multiplayer because hard mode is just plain old horribly balanced.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

The White Dragon posted:

but honestly the real answer is multiplayer

CJacobs, you know what that means.

i am tim!
Jan 5, 2005

God damn it, where are my ant keys?! I'm gonna miss my flight!

CJacobs posted:

What's a good way to get started with farming materials for making potions? I haven't bothered with that at all since I got so much stuff from chests underground etc.

Talk to the Dryad and set up some planters. They come in different types, but that's purely a cosmetic difference to help you organize your garden so go hog wild and plant it all in Daybloom planters if you wanna. All you need then is some seeds, a bottle placed on top of a workbench, and a single block of water for you to make Bottles of Water with. There are some monster drop materials but aside from monsters you can spawn with statues (like sharks) you'll need to hunt them down yourself.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Blind Sally posted:

CJacobs, you know what that means.

If you guys can wait like another 20 hours brah I'd be down for some just-helping-out-my-fam co-op

naM sdrawkcaB
Feb 17, 2011

Is there no way to assign actions to your mouse or am I just being dumb?

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

CJacobs posted:

You should have gathered some seeds while exploring various places. Buy some planters from the dryad (they're like platforms but with grass growing on them), create a greenhouse building, lay some planters and plant your seeds.

Here's my ghetto setup:

Note the two rows of chests: one for seed, one for plant. The item frames above are a helpful reminder in case the themed chests aren't explicit enough. Above the safe and piggy, the item frame contains a staff of regrowth which is useful for harvesting.

Next, you'll want a few fishing cabins in the various biomes that have useful fish species for alchemy. My recommendation is to make a teleporter network to get there quickly. Here's my sky fishing cabin, which the party girl decided to squat:

The seaside beach resort and fishing lodge (for some reason the pirate captain spends all his time neck deep in the saltwater, he's a big weirdo this way):

The shroom cabin:

And the corruption cabin, next to my fleshhouse of horrors. The world is naturally a Crimson world, this corruption was created artificially by purifying a stretch of crimson, then planting some corrupt seeds imported from another world. On the other side of the crimson crevice I dumped tons of mud to create my aboveground shroom biome, and then I created both lakes.

The chasm was created with tons of surplus explosives with the idea of making a barrier to prevent corruption/crimson from extending further as well as having a convenient way to go way, way down pretty quickly. (It eventually ends in an underground hallow area.)

Anyway the point is that each cabin has a convenient teleporter pad so that I can move quickly from the base to a biome home. (I haven't finished my network, personally, the various underground fishing lodges are still accessible by railway instead of teleporters.) Most alchemy materials are from plants or fish, so having done these things will make sure you can get most materials quickly. Putting a safe and a piggy bank in each cabin/biome relay is also always helpful.

Cat Mattress fucked around with this message at 15:08 on May 19, 2016

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

CJacobs posted:

You really need to get some hardmode armor. Those bad ol' spiders you've been fighting drop something that might be useful...
Not great for fighting bosses, but enough to defend yourself while mining some hardmode ores.

I'd also recommend farming mushrooms and daybloom for shine potions, which are pretty much the best light option for most of the game. Might be worth it to take some mud and any mushroom grass seeds you've found and build a mushroom biome on the surface. (The background and music will change when there are enough mushroom grass blocks) Maybe even build a house there for a fun surprise. You also might find things that are handy for both potion making and summoning in the dungeon.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

CJacobs posted:

Having armor made of hardmode materials- despite that, the first thing you should be working towards are drills/picks- and weapons as well. Space gun isn't gonna cut it anymore now, sadly!

I'm kinda miffed none of this has been streamed so I can laugh at your pain when you encounter spiders enjoy watching someone play this rad game for the first time.

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
Try to get up to the floating islands or at least start up a sky platform for fighting Wyverns. They hit like a truck and pack a bunch of health, but killing them will get you souls that will help immensely as a crafting ingredient.

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.

Blind Duke posted:

Try to get up to the floating islands or at least start up a sky platform for fighting Wyverns. They hit like a truck and pack a bunch of health, but killing them will get you souls that will help immensely as a crafting ingredient.

This. Very much this. Wyverns are gigantic assholes and will rip your teeth out through the new rear end in a top hat they just tore you. However if you can kill them reliably, you can get some very important soul item drops, which you can then combine to create a trinket which will make you infinitely more maneuverable.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I am looking forward to fighting a whole new generation of assholes.

Cat Mattress posted:

You should have gathered some seeds while exploring various places. Buy some planters from the dryad (they're like platforms but with grass growing on them), create a greenhouse building, lay some planters and plant your seeds.

Here's my ghetto setup:

Note the two rows of chests: one for seed, one for plant. The item frames above are a helpful reminder in case the themed chests aren't explicit enough. Above the safe and piggy, the item frame contains a staff of regrowth which is useful for harvesting.

Next, you'll want a few fishing cabins in the various biomes that have useful fish species for alchemy. My recommendation is to make a teleporter network to get there quickly. Here's my sky fishing cabin, which the party girl decided to squat:

The seaside beach resort and fishing lodge (for some reason the pirate captain spends all his time neck deep in the saltwater, he's a big weirdo this way):

The shroom cabin:

And the corruption cabin, next to my fleshhouse of horrors. The world is naturally a Crimson world, this corruption was created artificially by purifying a stretch of crimson, then planting some corrupt seeds imported from another world. On the other side of the crimson crevice I dumped tons of mud to create my aboveground shroom biome, and then I created both lakes.

The chasm was created with tons of surplus explosives with the idea of making a barrier to prevent corruption/crimson from extending further as well as having a convenient way to go way, way down pretty quickly. (It eventually ends in an underground hallow area.)

Anyway the point is that each cabin has a convenient teleporter pad so that I can move quickly from the base to a biome home. (I haven't finished my network, personally, the various underground fishing lodges are still accessible by railway instead of teleporters.) Most alchemy materials are from plants or fish, so having done these things will make sure you can get most materials quickly. Putting a safe and a piggy bank in each cabin/biome relay is also always helpful.

Cool, I will attempt all this and see if I can get a potion farm going!

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
It's been several pages of newbie help, so forgive me if I mention something that has been mentioned:

I was having trouble with the hardmode bosses for forever until I found the low level strategies on youtube from Demize and yrimir, which showed you could beat these bosses yourself with some proper strategies and not glitch exploitation or grinding 1000 hours for the best gear. (The holiday armies are still unbeatable, however)

The destroyer is the one to go for first, he's easy once you have a strat that deals with his probes and all that. It's shown in the vids.

Just cutting the crap and showing you who has useful info instead of the guy from the thread title who is "charmingly inept" or the whiny baby who cried on air or poo poo like that, it's really hard to find people who actually do things well on youtube sometimes.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

You can pick up some good ideas from the speedrunners usually. Unlike a lot of games they actually have to know most everything rather than just what's on a route.

King Doom
Dec 1, 2004
I am on the Internet.
Once you know the trick, the destroyer is easier to kill than anything. If you happen to be the sort of person who obsessively collects everything and you have a stack of dart trap blocks and a few heart statues you can basically afk farm the thing. The twins take a bit of preparation, but the main thing here is anti-gravity potions and a megashark with crystal ammo. Pop potions and just keep moving up and down and vaguely to one side and they really struggle to keep up. The last hardmode boss who I don't think has been mentioned yet really does need an arena though.

Oh, and for the newbies, one more thing about hardmode. If you go into a glowing mushroom patch and see an odd looking worm wriggling around the floor, CATCH IT. You only get one shot before it escapes though.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Acne Rain posted:

It's been several pages of newbie help, so forgive me if I mention something that has been mentioned:

I was having trouble with the hardmode bosses for forever until I found the low level strategies on youtube from Demize and yrimir, which showed you could beat these bosses yourself with some proper strategies and not glitch exploitation or grinding 1000 hours for the best gear. (The holiday armies are still unbeatable, however)

The destroyer is the one to go for first, he's easy once you have a strat that deals with his probes and all that. It's shown in the vids.

Just cutting the crap and showing you who has useful info instead of the guy from the thread title who is "charmingly inept" or the whiny baby who cried on air or poo poo like that, it's really hard to find people who actually do things well on youtube sometimes.

Thank you, these guys have very helpful videos.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

There's no mods or anything to balance hard mode a bit better for single player, right?

If it was balanced better, Terraria would be one of my favorite games of all time. As it stands I hate how useless a lot of the items become as soon as you start it.

fake edit: or is the solution simply getting good

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

voltcatfish posted:

There's no mods or anything to balance hard mode a bit better for single player, right?

If it was balanced better, Terraria would be one of my favorite games of all time. As it stands I hate how useless a lot of the items become as soon as you start it.

Yeah, the only solution is to just "get good" or whatever. Hard mode gets a lot better once you're decked out in a full suit of hard mode armor, and have better weapons. It's also where the game starts to severely punish the "up close and personal" melee playstyle. Ranged, magic, and summoning builds will have a much better time in hard mode than someone swinging a broadsword.

DoubleNegative fucked around with this message at 19:23 on May 19, 2016

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Update: While making my planting room, this chill guy wandered in. I am slightly perturbed by his presence and I don't know why he's here but I am willing to tolerate him. In case you can't tell what it is: It's a frickin goldfish walking around on two legs.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

This guy makes some crazy advanced stuff you can copy if you feel like building some farms/arenas.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCllYBm-_FbqWuI92o6zPXfw

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

CJacobs posted:

Update: While making my planting room, this chill guy wandered in. I am slightly perturbed by his presence and I don't know why he's here but I am willing to tolerate him. In case you can't tell what it is: It's a frickin goldfish walking around on two legs.

:allears: they walk when it's raining. It's my favorite stupid little detail in this game.

Also, you can use Goldfish in crafting a couple items, like one of the the best cosmetic items in the game.

voltcatfish posted:

Hardmode really isn't bad for solo though? It's basically the start of the game again, in that a lot of your weapons aren't very useful. But it's pretty easy to get the ball rolling on better equipment! Once you have hardmore armor and a hardmode pick, you're doing fine.
"git gud" isn't really fair. Preparing to enter hardmode by getting good accessories (the Obsidian Shield and a bunch of movement accessories, basically) and simply knowing what's coming afterward makes a huge difference.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

The goldfish stopped walking and started flopping around once the rain stopped so I gave him a permanent home to keep him from dying. You wandered into a place with no water, buddy, it's at least partially your fault!

So hey, planter boxes. How do they work?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

CJacobs posted:

Yeah, if the slime rain wasn't a sign of it, this game is kinda weird like that at times.

Anyway, catch him and put him in a jar of water.

edit: don't read my mind anymore, CJacobs, it's gross in there

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

CJacobs posted:

Planter boxes work just like dirt otherwise would. You just take the seeds you want to plant and right click them on the planter box.

If you managed to grab a Staff of Regrowth from the underground jungle before hard mode, you can also use that to harvest double the herbs when they are blooming.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

It's worth noting that the Twins are probably the hardest mechanical boss. In my expert game I was only able to beat them with a world-spanning railway.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

My daybloom does not appear to be dayblooming, it just stays as those little sprouts. Maybe I just haven't waited long enough yet.

Either way, I now have a full suit of palladium armor (which is hidden underneath Not Gehrman's clothes, which I bought from the Clothier)! I just gotta get this gardening thing down so I can make some regen potions and then I am ready for my rematch.

SirSamVimes posted:

It's worth noting that the Twins are probably the hardest mechanical boss. In my expert game I was only able to beat them with a world-spanning railway.

:suicide:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

They really need to take off that time limit on the mechanical bosses.

Miijhal
Jul 10, 2011

I am so tired... I am so tired all the time...
The problem I have with Hard Mode is just that the game heavily emphasizes dodging when most of the game takes place in narrow caves with very little room to move. It doesn't seem like much has been done to improve that...

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

While I'm waiting for my plants to grow I am taking a trip down memory lane with my leftover boss summoning items. It's surprising how much of a jump there is between normal and hard mode, this guy is pretty easy comparatively!

My plants still have not grown. Do I need to space them out vertically more or is one block height of free space enough?

edit: Oh poo poo, one has started to sprout! This is exciting.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

A full set of warding accessories will keep damage down against trash mobs, even in expert hardmode. It's not nearly enough against bosses so I usually keep a set of menacing ones for them.

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

The keyword was "expert game", in normal mode they aren't that tough. In fact when I stopped playing I was at a level where I could reliably farm all three (well, four) mechanical bosses at once in the same night without using temporary buffs; and yet I was not tough enough to handle a pumpkin/frost moon event.

Bluemillion
Aug 18, 2008

I got your dispensers
right here

CJacobs posted:

While I'm waiting for my plants to grow I am taking a trip down memory lane with my leftover boss summoning items. It's surprising how much of a jump there is between normal and hard mode, this guy is pretty easy comparatively!

My plants still have not grown. Do I need to space them out vertically more or is one block height of free space enough?

edit: Oh poo poo, one has started to sprout! This is exciting.

Sometime before you defeat the hardmode jungle boss (Not the bee) you should kill a bunch of cursed skulls in the Dungeon to get a Nazar. The Nazar renders you immune to curses, and is used to craft a VERY powerful endgame item. It's a lot easier to get one in the first version of the dungeon.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

CJacobs posted:

The goldfish stopped walking and started flopping around once the rain stopped so I gave him a permanent home to keep him from dying. You wandered into a place with no water, buddy, it's at least partially your fault!

Put the fishbowl on your head :3: :3: :3: :kimchi:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Solumin posted:

Put the fishbowl on your head :3: :3: :3: :kimchi:

Oh poo poo!

edit: Lol the fish swim at a thousand miles an hour thanks to my Frostspark Boots.

Bluemillion posted:

Sometime before you defeat the hardmode jungle boss (Not the bee) you should kill a bunch of cursed skulls in the Dungeon to get a Nazar. The Nazar renders you immune to curses, and is used to craft a VERY powerful endgame item. It's a lot easier to get one in the first version of the dungeon.

Will do.

Keiya
Aug 22, 2009

Come with me if you want to not die.

CJacobs posted:

Basically they made 2 files for every arm, body, head, and legs for some reason when they only needed one, and then because of that they had to name them in a silly way to bubblegum-and-duct-tape their way to victory.

Home-grown, on-the-fly software design does that, yeah. And the worst part is, if you try to rewrite away from it, not only do you break stuff (see Minecraft) you also tend to fall into the second system effect and never finish. See, uh, Minecraft.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Greetings, humans, it is I CJacobs. I am here with my completely normal head and not at all strange bat wings to show you that my flowers have started to grow:

Apparently it just takes a while longer than I thought.

I also took a half-hour or so to organize all my poo poo because before this it was a completely random mess.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 21:58 on May 19, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Dehumanize yourself and face to clutter