Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

Vib Rib posted:

Calamity is incredibly impressive and honestly playing it again, they've tweaked a lot of the bosses (at least the ones from early game to mid-late hardmode) to be less bullshit. The perforator hive and hivemind have genuinely good attack patterns and design and are fun to fight. It's weird seeing a modded boss fight in Terraria that's not just absolute bullet hell bullshit. I'm sure some of the post-endgame bosses are exactly that, but some of the ones I've fought already aren't nearly as bad as they once were, in previous builds. Also even simple stuff like being able to turn Revengeance Mode off at will is a nice quality of life change. E: Is Revengeance really worth it? From what I can tell the main difference is a few unique drops in exchange for much tougher enemies across the board and an on-demand damage boost you have to build up.

revengeance is definitely something you do for the challenge more than for the rewards. a lot of bosses have almost twice as much health as their expert mode variants when it's enabled, and the adrenaline/rage meters only last for five or so seconds when you even manage to fill them up, so even if you play perfectly there's basically no way you'll be more powerful in revengeance. If you want to rise through the ranks quickly, you'll probably have a better time killing bosses in expert mode first and then trying again in revengeance later for the drops once you have better equipment to work with.

I've been playing with revengeance on the entire time, and while it's been fairly fun, it's right on the razor edge of possible at some points. there's some absolute brick walls to progression, like wall of flesh (laser damage is buffed to the point where you can't buff pre-hard-mode defense high enough to fully soak them anymore, meaning you're nearly guaranteed to take a ton of damage) and the twins. it got to the point where after finally beating the twins after 20+ attempts, i was able to take out plantera in two tries.

i'm currently working on farming pillar fragments and prepping for moon lord, which seems like it'll be fine as long as i do my usual endless minecart railway strategy, but i'm starting to notice the amount of grinding for each item craft ticking upward...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jester Mcgee
Mar 28, 2010

A lot of things have happened to me over my life.

Are there any streamers or youtubers who play Terraria that aren't terrible? Sometimes I'm too tired to want to do anything, but would still like to chill out to Terraria.

ZZT the Fifth
Dec 6, 2006
I shot the invisible swordsman.

Kalas posted:

Add in the AlchemistNPC mod, it has some gear that can carry you through between the gear-check (or reflexes of a god) of Calamity. It's probably my favorite content mod that doesn't add it's own biomes.

Ah yes, AlchemistNPC, the dumb meme mod.

That's quality content alright. :ughh:

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Jester Mcgee posted:

Are there any streamers or youtubers who play Terraria that aren't terrible? Sometimes I'm too tired to want to do anything, but would still like to chill out to Terraria.

I’d be happy to stream some Terraria for you, I love the game and have a channel set up on YouTube. It’d be vanilla though.

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

ZZT the Fifth posted:

You can ignore the meme stuff if you don't care about it (the special boss attached to it is just silly powerful and I don't think intended to be beaten currently), but there's a few armor sets that are useful and some interesting scaling weapons that can randomly drop.

The gear peters off around the time you kill Devourer of Gods. I don't think any other mod can touch Calamity's stuff once you hit Cosmolite ore.

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010

Jester Mcgee posted:

Have you checked out Yogscast Sjin's Druidaria series? It's him, Duncan, Lewis and Tom just farting around in a game none of them understand but still manage to beat the Moon Lord.

Then they go back for a second series with Calamity in there.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Jester Mcgee posted:

I liked ethoslab's series on it.

ScentOfAnOtaku
Aug 25, 2006

I have no control, I just keep eating, and eating.
As someone who has only played vanilla Terraria, and has never been past fighting Plantera, should I start a new game with mods or do I still have a ton to do with vanilla?

If I do play with mods, is there a good set for someone who will be playing in singleplayer? I'm sure Calamity will be in there, but I know there are a bunch of others that I don't know about that would be fun.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Thorium is probably the closest to vanilla balanced of the big content mods so I'd give that a go before Calamity unless you really want a challenge. Magic Storage, Luiafk, Fargo's Mutant/Soul Mod, Omniswing, Item Stats+, and Veinminer are required qol imo. What mod is it from?, What ammo does it shoot?, Recipe Browser, Boss Checklist and Item Checklist are very good to have if you use a bunch of mods.

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Kalas posted:

'a problem' is an understatement.

I hope you're doing expert/revengence mode.

When I say "This is a problem" I mean that one of us probably said "Uh that's not loving good what's going on WHAT IS HAPPENING"

Because yes, we are playing on expert+revengence+death mode so we're always on the blade's edge of absolute liquification

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
I strongly recommend MaxStackPlus, which lets items stack to 9999 instead of 999. You'll need all the chest space you can get, and plus it's just nice to be able to carry/stash more without dedicating multiple spaces for ores, e.g.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Vib Rib posted:

I strongly recommend MaxStackPlus, which lets items stack to 9999 instead of 999. You'll need all the chest space you can get, and plus it's just nice to be able to carry/stash more without dedicating multiple spaces for ores, e.g.

That one gets bitchy because every other utility mod tries to do that and then they all break.

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

ScentOfAnOtaku posted:

As someone who has only played vanilla Terraria, and has never been past fighting Plantera, should I start a new game with mods or do I still have a ton to do with vanilla?

If I do play with mods, is there a good set for someone who will be playing in singleplayer? I'm sure Calamity will be in there, but I know there are a bunch of others that I don't know about that would be fun.

Calamity can be absolutely absurd with the difficulty ramp up, but there's a lot of fairly easy extra bosses and you have quite a bit of control on how hard it gets with toggle-able Revengence and Death mode clickies.
Thorium is easier, both have a ton of good stuff that is highly recommended.

Plantera...Golem...Moonlord, then your done. (well martian invasion & solar eclipse events as well)

ScentOfAnOtaku
Aug 25, 2006

I have no control, I just keep eating, and eating.
Well I think I'll start with Thorium with a few QoL mods, and if I feel like I can handle more I'll restart with Calamity on.

Thanks for all the replies, now I just have to figure it out setting it up.

Valcione
Sep 12, 2007
For All Brave Silpheed Pilots

ZZT the Fifth posted:

There's an AlchemistNPC Lite version available on the mod browser that just has a few extra NPCs like the Brewer, Young Brewer, Musician, and so on, as well as a few handy recipes for new and useful potions, and leaves all the meme garbage and sidegrade gear in the bin. Use that one instead.

I do have a question though. When I play Terraria, I'm almost always playing with friends who live overseas. For things like vanilla content and Thorium, we're able to cope okay. Teamwork, good gear, and reasonably competent play are enough to overcome the dodging and reaction problems that come from latency. I've never tried Calamity, though, and everything I've heard about it boils down to "Bullet Hell bosses demanding perfect play with razor-thin margins of error." My question is, is playing Calamity all the way through even possible when I or my friends may be looking at 125ms latency in the best case? If not, are we able to compensate with gear from Fargo's Souls/Enchantments mods and Thorium and the like?

Kind of a tangent question, but does Calamity play well with Thorium? Thorium introduces Bard, Healer, and Throwing classes, and I was interested in trying them on my next run, but I'm also keen to try Calamity, and it'd suck if I just plain ran out of gear progression well short of the end.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Katsuma posted:

There's an AlchemistNPC Lite version available on the mod browser that just has a few extra NPCs like the Brewer, Young Brewer, Musician, and so on, as well as a few handy recipes for new and useful potions, and leaves all the meme garbage and sidegrade gear in the bin. Use that one instead.

I do have a question though. When I play Terraria, I'm almost always playing with friends who live overseas. For things like vanilla content and Thorium, we're able to cope okay. Teamwork, good gear, and reasonably competent play are enough to overcome the dodging and reaction problems that come from latency. I've never tried Calamity, though, and everything I've heard about it boils down to "Bullet Hell bosses demanding perfect play with razor-thin margins of error." My question is, is playing Calamity all the way through even possible when I or my friends may be looking at 125ms latency in the best case? If not, are we able to compensate with gear from Fargo's Souls/Enchantments mods and Thorium and the like?

Kind of a tangent question, but does Calamity play well with Thorium? Thorium introduces Bard, Healer, and Throwing classes, and I was interested in trying them on my next run, but I'm also keen to try Calamity, and it'd suck if I just plain ran out of gear progression well short of the end.

For Calamity unless you're playing the hardest mode (Death) you're generally going to be okay if you're gear ready and know the game well enough. For latency there's only a few really bad bosses that are true bullet hells and of those only the last boss is truly extreme in that getting hit too many times makes you instantly lose. Fargo's collections can mitigate near everything except said last boss.

Thorium plays fine with calamity and stays on par gear-wise until moonlord. Afterwards you'll be running near pure calamity weapons and gear (and Fargo's).

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

dis astranagant posted:

That one gets bitchy because every other utility mod tries to do that and then they all break.
None of the other ones in the above list do it, I don't think?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

It also breaks piggy banks.

Willheim Wordsworth
Dec 29, 2008

Jester Mcgee posted:

Ningishu on Youtube for sure. Skillful expert mode playthroughs and speedruns, some flavor text to add a little storyline, and a minimum of "Don't forget to SMAAAASH that like and subscribe button" bullshit. The downside is that not all of the playthroughs are finished, and I am not sure that there will be any new content in the future.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

dis astranagant posted:

It also breaks piggy banks.
I'm using MaxStackPlus in my current playthrough and piggy banks work just fine. Coin stacks aren't affected by the stack change. How is it supposed to break?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Vib Rib posted:

I'm using MaxStackPlus in my current playthrough and piggy banks work just fine. Coin stacks aren't affected by the stack change. How is it supposed to break?

last time I used it you couldn't spend money from your piggy bank, which you can normally.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

dis astranagant posted:

last time I used it you couldn't spend money from your piggy bank, which you can normally.
There have been several mods that do what this does, like Stacks+. It could've been one of those, or just an old version, but it definitely works fine here. Even with LuiAFK's accessory that automatically shoves all the money you pick up straight into your piggy bank.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Cryohazard posted:

Have you checked out Yogscast Sjin's Druidaria series? It's him, Duncan, Lewis and Tom just farting around in a game none of them understand but still manage to beat the Moon Lord.

Then they go back for a second series with Calamity in there.

So I watched this for about 10 episodes, in which time they managed to build a hellevator, and die, a lot. Half of which is due to hellevator mishaps, and the other half being that they are still rocking copper swords and wooden yo-yos.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Fruits of the sea posted:

So I watched this for about 10 episodes, in which time they managed to build a hellevator, and die, a lot. Half of which is due to hellevator mishaps, and the other half being that they are still rocking copper swords and wooden yo-yos.

The (original) members of the yogscast are notoriously lazy and inept WoW goons. Temper your expectations accordingly and enjoy the comedy of it all.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
drat some goons made some serious money then

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Rynoto posted:

The (original) members of the yogscast are notoriously lazy and inept WoW goons. Temper your expectations accordingly and enjoy the comedy of it all.

Episode 11: having mined down to lava, one of them considers crafting an iron pickaxe. Also another guy has been using a wooden yo yo wrong the entire series and it’s starting to bug me.
It’s pretty funny but also kind of frustrating.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
One of the biggest incidental problems with the Calamity mod, because of its sheer volume of content, is that I never quite know what my options are for weapons. I'll go up against an area or a boss that I'm having trouble with, realize I haven't updated my weapons in a while, and just be at a loss for where to go.

I have two entire chests of "weapons to upgrade later" but they all have different requirements I gotta pass first. Some need an ancient manipulator or "draedon's forge" to craft, so with those at least, it's easy to know when I'll be able to craft them. But other times I'll go back and see a weapon that I could've upgraded like four bosses ago and just didn't check every single recipe to see "oh yeah, I finally have a source of stardust", or "oh hey, I didn't realize it but I can craft cores of chaos now" or whatever, and now the weapon can upgrade but it's already past its usefulness for me. Other times there's some enemy drop I've just never run into that I could definitely get if I knew about it, but I just never knew and now what could be the best weapon in my arsenal is just sitting uncrafted.
Then you throw in boss loot weapons, which might be really good but there's no way to know about them until you've fought the boss enough to get that random drop, short of using the wiki.

I guess it would be holding my hand too much to have explicit goalposts for each tier of weapons that they could just lay out, but there are so many options it's gotten to the point I literally can't even find a bunch of them.

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:
they do figure out some things while playing terraria and their second run of the game with calamity is a lot smoother, but yeah, i can imagine it'd be really annoying to watch it if you know how to do things when they're bumbling around

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Vib Rib posted:

One of the biggest incidental problems with the Calamity mod, because of its sheer volume of content, is that I never quite know what my options are for weapons. I'll go up against an area or a boss that I'm having trouble with, realize I haven't updated my weapons in a while, and just be at a loss for where to go.

I have two entire chests of "weapons to upgrade later" but they all have different requirements I gotta pass first. Some need an ancient manipulator or "draedon's forge" to craft, so with those at least, it's easy to know when I'll be able to craft them. But other times I'll go back and see a weapon that I could've upgraded like four bosses ago and just didn't check every single recipe to see "oh yeah, I finally have a source of stardust", or "oh hey, I didn't realize it but I can craft cores of chaos now" or whatever, and now the weapon can upgrade but it's already past its usefulness for me. Other times there's some enemy drop I've just never run into that I could definitely get if I knew about it, but I just never knew and now what could be the best weapon in my arsenal is just sitting uncrafted.
Then you throw in boss loot weapons, which might be really good but there's no way to know about them until you've fought the boss enough to get that random drop, short of using the wiki.

I guess it would be holding my hand too much to have explicit goalposts for each tier of weapons that they could just lay out, but there are so many options it's gotten to the point I literally can't even find a bunch of them.

Hah, and that's with one mod. Try being an absolutely insane person and running with 5-6 like I do. If it weren't for Magic Storage's Crafting Node I would have given up ages ago. Just being able to toss everything into a storage and then look in another node and see what I can make out of it is super rad. Still run into problem with grindables and the like sometimes but it makes things a LOT easier and there is usually something I can craft from my 5 content mods that will help me out after doing basically anything.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
One mod I wish I'd installed sooner, and recommend to anyone playing with mods (even if they're not using big content packs that require more storage) is "Where's My Items?"

Press the hotkey, type in an item name (or part of one) and it'll highlight every chest with items that match. It searches your personal storage too! Try typing in "fish" and:

It even works with magic storage containers!

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?
This may seem an odd question to ask here, but how does Minecraft hold up these days? I know it doesn't have nearly the progression content that Terraria does, but I am wondering if it might scratch some of that exploration/building itch while waiting for 1.3.6 (and the subsequent mods/tmodloader to update). I was also looking at No Man's Sky but am going to wait for a sale on that one.

e: asking here specifically to know if people who enjoyed Terraria liked it. I know there is a thread for the game.

graynull fucked around with this message at 01:32 on May 7, 2019

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

graynull posted:

This may seem an odd question to ask here, but how does Minecraft hold up these days? I know it doesn't have nearly the progression content that Terraria does, but I am wondering if it might scratch some of that exploration/building itch while waiting for 1.3.6 (and the subsequent mods/tmodloader to update). I was also looking at No Man's Sky but am going to wait for a sale on that one.

your question would be way better served in the actual thread for minecraft modding, tbh

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3718099

basically there's a lot of poo poo to play with and there's quite a bit of adventurey stuff if you're looking for that

Dootman
Jun 15, 2000

fishbulb

Vib Rib posted:

One mod I wish I'd installed sooner, and recommend to anyone playing with mods (even if they're not using big content packs that require more storage) is "Where's My Items?"

Press the hotkey, type in an item name (or part of one) and it'll highlight every chest with items that match. It searches your personal storage too! Try typing in "fish" and:

It even works with magic storage containers!

Or you can just get Magic Storage instead. Given the utterly ludicrous number of items in the base game, let alone mods, I will never play Terraria again without it.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Dootman posted:

Or you can just get Magic Storage instead. Given the utterly ludicrous number of items in the base game, let alone mods, I will never play Terraria again without it.
I literally mentioned magic storage in that post.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

graynull posted:

e: asking here specifically to know if people who enjoyed Terraria liked it. I know there is a thread for the game.

Java 1.14 vastly improved the vanilla game but it still doesn’t hold a candle to vanilla Terraria.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Vib Rib posted:

I literally mentioned magic storage in that post.

Which is already searchable.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner

graynull posted:

FWIW I did this (a little minecraft back in the day, terraria until my brain bled crimson/hallow, and then tried to go back to minecraft) and it was a miserable experience - you'll need to go pick up a bunch of mods to get near base terraria quality of life.

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
In Minecraft, get ready for lovely things like painstakingly drawing huge maps -- by manually visiting all the places with your map in your hand (not just your hotbar), defenseless in other words

And then before you get back home to permanently display that map on your floor and revel in the accomplishment, having a zombie in the wilderness unexpectedly get a few double-hits on you (lovely melee combat and not enough iframes), killing you in the middle of nowhere..... with no way to find out where in the (now uncharted again) world you dropped all your valuable items. Don't worry, they will all despawn forever in five minutes. If you lose the map item you had in hand, you lose its data and have to start over. The despawn timer waits for you to load that part of the world again, but isn't near long enough for you to search the ground everywhere. With trees blocking your sight everywhere the land all looks the same no matter how good your memory is.

By the way, there's a special HUD that can display your X,Y,Z coordinates in the world to help prevent getting irrecoverably lost like that, but guess what -- it inexplicably disappears when you are killed, and cannot be re-opened until you respawn back at home. So this feature cannot point you to your death location or lost items. Hope weren't carrying around anything useful! In spite of this sadistic and pointless feature, you can still cheat to find all your lost inventory by using external map editor programs but it is *incredibly* tedious and is in no way guaranteed or convenient.

I wish I could say better of the game because it had tremendous technical potential, but it was made by a nazi who ran off with all the money, and the maintainers he hired went practically nowhere with the concept after years of underwhelming and mostly aesthetic updates. The base gameplay of Minecraft has always been needlessly frustrating and tiring.

PS, a tip for anyone who decides to play anyway: In the Microsoft version there is a map setting to not drop your inventory upon death, but the way this is presented it feels like you're no longer playing legit if you do. It's a valid concern, not just for bragging rights but since one of the greatest things about the game is the effective use of tension and the sheer panic when a creeper shows up behind you while you're mining something valuable and forgot to keep your guard up. I think (hope) that would still feel the same way even knowing that you'll "only" lose your current location and your whole accumulated inventory isn't at stake, which was always bullshit anyway, especially once you start customizing items. Just flip the option on and don't feel bad.

Happy Thread fucked around with this message at 07:24 on May 7, 2019

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

you do realize that mods make minecraft way more custom-tailored to the player's personal experience than terraria could probably ever hope for, right. being able to warp to any point i've established on a highly detailed map that's provided by one of many mods for that exact purpose beats out basically anything terraria could hope for. terraria mods are alright but they still don't hold a candle to minecraft ones unless you're specifically looking for janky bullet hell bosses in which case i guess the former wins out.

each game is a lot better with mods

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalas
Jul 27, 2007

Johnny Joestar posted:

you do realize that mods make minecraft way more custom-tailored to the player's personal experience than terraria could probably ever hope for, right. being able to warp to any point i've established on a highly detailed map that's provided by one of many mods for that exact purpose beats out basically anything terraria could hope for. terraria mods are alright but they still don't hold a candle to minecraft ones unless you're specifically looking for janky bullet hell bosses in which case i guess the former wins out.

each game is a lot better with mods

AlchemistNPC has a point and click universal teleport (one shot) that puts you anywhere you want on the map.

There's also beacon teleport mods, and the base game has teleport pads you can set up to go anywhere.