Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

My understanding is that the base content is done, out on the workshop and perfectly playable but the devs became enamored with feature creep and are making the post game content really huge... Even though by the time you hit postgame the most interesting things about Red Cloud are kinda over and done with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Bad Munki posted:

e again: oh, actually, looks like terrasavr will export your current research accomplishments, that's half the effort right there. Aaaaaaand I found a json version of the game's item list, along with ingredients by ID. Okay, so this is solvable now. Huh.

Kinda random and fun, this actually looks like it works.

Just the raw item crafting tree, items arranged alphabetically around the perimeter:

Same thing but green lines are completed research collections, yellow lines are partial research collections. If an item has all yellow lines pointing to it, it's ready for research, which is impossible to see here but on the live one I can zoom in:

I'm working on getting more useful detection of stuff that's ready, and also seeing if I can get it to group automatically into however many networks, haven't messed with this lib yet. Still, nifty lookin' stuff.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

that is kinda surreal and extremely cool.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Yeah except I just realized why a bunch of stuff wasn't getting identified in accordance with my expectations, which I discretely left out of that post. Like, it'll show that I don't know what iron bars are, but I am 100% sure I do.

Turns out the crafting tree dump I got was from a multi-mod scrape (calamity, thorium, maybe others) as of two years ago. So, the thing works, it just has all the wrong IDs for the actual tree. The research tracking still works though, if you only consider it by ID.

I'll have to find an up-to-date dump of the vanilla crafting tree or figure out how to dump it myself because now I'm kinda really enjoying the results.

e: Okay I have decompiled the game and found the needed info in Recipe.cs, looks fairly straightforward...just gotta scan it for blocks like
code:
currentRecipe.createItem.SetDefaults(<ITEM ID>);
currentRecipe.requiredItem[0].SetDefaults(<INGREDIENT ITEM ID>);
currentRecipe.requiredItem[1].SetDefaults(<INGREDIENT ITEM ID>);
currentRecipe.requiredItem[2].SetDefaults(<INGREDIENT ITEM ID>);
AddRecipe();

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Mar 21, 2023

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

There we go, the actual vanilla Terraria crafting tree, much closer to what I expected:

My current character's research progress, green is done, blue is pending, pink is non-crafted drops:

Zoom in on a section:

Anyhow, thus concludes my complete useless and unnecessary adventure.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
I have no idea what these are or mean, but they remind me of that spirograph toy that I had as a child.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

JustJeff88 posted:

I have no idea what these are or mean, but they remind me of that spirograph toy that I had as a child.

It's just this:

But with every item in the game, a less useful layout, and not near as much helpful information.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
I feel like it's extremely helpful for a very specific subset of people who are only used to analyzing data in this very specific way.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Nah it’s just bad. I had this notion of using the network I built there to actually do something useful for revealing potential research opportunities, but then it just became “make neat picture,” that’s all it is. :)

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

for what it’s worth i enjoy the neat pictures

palindrome
Feb 3, 2020

Haven't played in a few years. I was thinking about waiting for 1.4.5 but from what I've read it sounds like 1.4.4 is extremely feature complete, and 1.4.5 has very very minor changes.

- Better character gen
- A new menu for choosing rare map seeds
- Whips and stuff
- Cosmetics
- Music box or something? A few mounts?

Nothing that I'd feel bad about missing if I started a new run now, and it will eventually patch up anyway.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I'm playing this for the first time with a friend and he's hosting our world. Is there anything we can do so that I could work on gathering stuff etc. when he's offline? From what I gather, it won't work simply by sending me a copy of the world.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

the only real options i see are hosting a dedicated server or just playing on a separate world and bringing those resources to the main world

Cicadalek
May 8, 2006

Trite, contrived, mediocre, milquetoast, amateurish, infantile, cliche-and-gonorrhea-ridden paean to conformism, eye-fucked me, affront to humanity, war crime, should *literally* be tried for war crimes, talentless fuckfest, pedantic, listless, savagely boring, just one repulsive laugh after another
I think it would be technically possible to send a map file back and forth, but it would get pretty tedious. If either of you have a spare laptop or something that could host a server it would be the easiest way.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

You could make your own world and gather stuff there seeing as your inventory and the contents of your piggy bank are character specific and not world.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

SirSamVimes posted:

You could make your own world and gather stuff there seeing as your inventory and the contents of your piggy bank are character specific and not world.

And safe, and other such containers.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Depending on your group’s goals, the world you’re playing in, and the mode, venturing out to other worlds may also just be necessary for certain items and crafting trees.

deadeyez
Jan 31, 2015

Fun Shoe

palindrome posted:

Haven't played in a few years. I was thinking about waiting for 1.4.5 but from what I've read it sounds like 1.4.4 is extremely feature complete, and 1.4.5 has very very minor changes.

- Better character gen
- A new menu for choosing rare map seeds
- Whips and stuff
- Cosmetics
- Music box or something? A few mounts?

Nothing that I'd feel bad about missing if I started a new run now, and it will eventually patch up anyway.

Boulder rain
Red is currently taking suggestions on Twitter for further crafting trees
Dead cells stuff
I don't think any major new things besides being able to mix and match the new buttons for the secret world seeds creating combos for super secret worlds that we have no further data on

Personally I am super excited for drunk world / for the worthy combo.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
TModloader finally updated to 1.4.4 just a week ago and a lot of major mods came through, including Calamity. Personally I'm waiting for the Fargo's Souls Mod as well but no idea when that could be. If you've been waiting for a modded run again it's finally your time.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Vib Rib posted:

TModloader finally updated to 1.4.4 just a week ago and a lot of major mods came through, including Calamity. Personally I'm waiting for the Fargo's Souls Mod as well but no idea when that could be. If you've been waiting for a modded run again it's finally your time.

Hell yeah.

For folks who are interested, Thorium is also updated to 1.4.4 and Spirit mod made it to 1.4.3 and has an update in the works.

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?
For anyone curious, Calamity with getfixedboi is a wild adventure. Specifically because he put in a lot of sequence breaks. Bosses have special drops in the seed that are either from much later or can be shimmered down into HM crafting mats.

Slime king drops Calamity mana pots, Eye drops the Twins summon staff, Eater drops a jillion Light Discs to break down into hallowed bars and roll ore back to mythril, just to name a few.

E: also boss difficulty changes, not to make it sound like easy mode. Slime king is gigantic and summons rainbow slimes, Crabulon is a psychedelic trip, and goddamn Hive Mind can infinitely spawn 2 other copies. Still have not quite figured out the trick to that, so I just focus one down and die to the others.

graynull fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Aug 9, 2023

deadeyez
Jan 31, 2015

Fun Shoe
Looks like they are redoing the moonlord sprite to be all wiggly, and a teaser image shows what may be a naturally generated gigantic tree plowing through a sky island, so that's awesome. Red is also allegedly taking suggestions about a sky island secret seed

bij
Feb 24, 2007

I'd be cool with a Zenith / Terra armor for some post-Moonlord grind. It's not like any semblance of balance exists at that point with a Zenith and Terraprisma combo so they could go crazy with it.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Every half year, I think it's time to go back to Terraria - then I find out that a new update is just around the corner or a compatibility patch for some mod I like is on the way.

gently caress it, it's time. Any recommendations? Considering finally trying out Calamity but I've held off because I'm real bad at actually fighting stuff.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy

Fruits of the sea posted:

Every half year, I think it's time to go back to Terraria - then I find out that a new update is just around the corner or a compatibility patch for some mod I like is on the way.

gently caress it, it's time. Any recommendations? Considering finally trying out Calamity but I've held off because I'm real bad at actually fighting stuff.

Calamity recently updated to the current patch so it's a good opportunity, and you don't have to put it at a particularly high difficulty if you suck at fighting (and its a good way to get better)

The vanilla update is still gonna be some months away anyway because they can never stop putting more stuff in

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

God, I feel this.
I've been waiting for ages to get TModloader 1.4.4, and now that it's here I can't start my playthrough until Fargo's Souls Mod updates. I mean, it did update, but it appears completely broken in its current state.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

mfcrocker posted:

Calamity recently updated to the current patch so it's a good opportunity, and you don't have to put it at a particularly high difficulty if you suck at fighting (and its a good way to get better)

The vanilla update is still gonna be some months away anyway because they can never stop putting more stuff in

Is there a tutorial or intro for it? I installed it and I see there are like 15 new hotkeys for stuff.

The_Final_Stand
Nov 2, 2013

So cute and cuddly
Most of those hotkeys are for individual armour abilities or accessory abilities, and can safely be disregarded if you aren't using them.

If you're playing on Revengeance mode or above (When in an Expert/Master world, or Journey with the difficulty at those points, next to the minimap when you open the inventory, there's a hexagon. Click that and pick your poison.) then you'll want to bind the Rage Mode and Adrenaline Mode keys to something accessible, those are activatable damage boosts. Rage mode charges when you're in combat, and is a +35% multiplier to damage. Adrenaline mode only charges during boss fights, and it empties when you take a hit, but it's a +200% damage multiplier for 5 seconds. Those two stack additively, for a possible +235% boost.

Other than that, the key for the Normality Relocator (a Post-Moon-Lord item that lets you teleport with it in your inventory, replacing the Rod of Discord) is all I can think of, hotkey-wise.

There's a long, long list of changes that Calamity applies to vanilla as well, see https://calamitymod.wiki.gg/wiki/Vanilla_changes if you're interested.

The_Final_Stand fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Sep 20, 2023

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

There are mods to undo several of those changes, too.

Personally, I find the dragonball mod fun. And being able to Just loving Fly is very useful against some of the later Calamity bosses. Not sure if the addon to the dragonball mod to make it scale into calamity post-moonlord stuff is on 1.4 though.

graynull
Dec 2, 2005

Did I misread all the signs?
Also worth noting that you can bind multiple functions to the same hotkey. Like if item A and B are really never going to be used together you can just give them the same hotkey without issue. Hell, I bind a few things to the same hotkeys like Rage and Adrenaline. I think I bound my Rod/Normality button to W as that late in the game I'm really not moving up ropes and whatnot all that often.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Say, what Bigass Content Mods are there besides Calamity? Over the years I have come to the conclusion I kinda don't like a lot of Calamity's overall design goals, and I am genuinely uncertain how you're supposed to fight things like the Devourer of Gods without being able to Just loving Fly like the DBZ mod lets you.

I know there's Thorium and Spirit, what else is there?

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Devourer of Gods is fatally vulnerable to the strategy of making a big rear end skybridge and running for your life. This isn't the only or even a particularly optimal way to fight it, and you can definitely get a lot fancier if you're willing to put in the practice time to get good at its patterns, but you can beat a lot of Calamity's non-biome restricted bosses just by running like hell and throwing poo poo behind you while you run.

Fruits of the sea
Dec 1, 2010

Calamity trip report: I really dig some of the new toys but not so wild about how it hands you shortcuts for a lot of the early/mid-game key items. I guess it wants the player to be able to tackle tough fights right from the start (and some of the vanilla bosses are a lot more challenging), but I'm a carebear who enjoys spending hours building pretty houses in between looking for a metal detector or whatever, so the progression feels totally rushed.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Calamity trip report: I really dig some of the new toys but not so wild about how it hands you shortcuts for a lot of the early/mid-game key items. I guess it wants the player to be able to tackle tough fights right from the start (and some of the vanilla bosses are a lot more challenging), but I'm a carebear who enjoys spending hours building pretty houses in between looking for a metal detector or whatever, so the progression feels totally rushed.

Have fun. If you aren't constantly making sure to be at the absolute peak of readiness with potions and perfect gear then you're in for a rough time. And even then it's still rough. Get the patch that lets you play it on Master Mode as well if you really hate yourself.

watho
Aug 2, 2013

i mostly agree, but it should also be noted that what's the mid-game in vanilla is still very much the early game in calamity, and many things that are the end of massive crafting trees in vanilla keep being iterated on throughout the game. like terraspark boots and the ankh shield. also my latest vanilla playthrough never got a high test fishing line despite doing way more than 75 fishing quests so i'm not against making the fishing accessories easier to get

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Why am I being asked to try Terraria in my Minecraft launcher? That's scary.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Mayveena posted:

Why am I being asked to try Terraria in my Minecraft launcher? That's scary.

lol Minecraft is a Microsoft product now. You're lucky it's not spamming bing search or the AI chatbot thing

watho
Aug 2, 2013

oh yeah that's been one of the possible texts in the title screen since i last played which was a decade ago at this point

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Clark Nova posted:

lol Minecraft is a Microsoft product now. You're lucky it's not spamming bing search or the AI chatbot thing

I know that, I was curious as to why they are promoting Terraria if they don't own Terraria. Seems odd, they are so 'we're marketing the poo poo out of our poo poo'

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Back in the day Notch would just plug random games he liked in those splash screen messages. I’ve seen ones for world of goo, mount and blade, and a bunch of others.