Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

His expert mode drop is just a glove that lets you throw bones harder. 12+20 damage, not particularly fast speed and bouncing shots

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Diamond and ultrabright torches are both brighter than regular ones but they're kind of expensive and ultrabright are only available from the wandering merchant.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Is there some trick to finding the skeleton merchant? I want to jump on the yoyo bandwagon but he's pulling a no show.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

No Safe Word posted:

If you do find him, buy every Spelunker Glowstick you can afford. It's basically an on-demand Spelunker Potion by holding the glowstick out, though if you run out of actual glowsticks and you use the smart cursor stuff, you will end up dropping them in water :(

For how cheap these things are, you should be able to buy a decent sized stack to protect against that for a while at least.

I handed down a suspicious looking tentacle to my new dude. Strong passive light and treasure vision in a slot I don't have to look at.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Impermanent posted:

I fished a shark that breaks all normal mode blocks in one hit. I haven't even opened the dungeon yet :)

There's another one you can fish anywhere underground that's basically a better muramasa (faster, more damage) that also counts as a hammer.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Kly posted:

are there any enemies that are unique to expert mode?

As far as I can tell, expert mode is just normal mode except all the mobs have double health and damage, plus a single new item per boss and chance for dev sets in hardmode.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Xenaero posted:

Note: For people who want a million minibosses during events, put a water candle down. It's insane.

Better drop rates I hope...

On gold, maybe. Haven't really noticed on other drops.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Akett posted:

If you aren't on the same computer then you will have to get the world from the old computer. Save files are kept in users/your name/my documents/my games/terraria, as opposed to being kept in a sane place like with the program files for the game.

That actually is the sane place. Dumping user data in the program directory has been deprecated for something like 13 years now and has required admin privileges to access since Windows 7.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Alright game, you can eat every inch of my fat rear end.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Zereth posted:

Does mining cloud blocks create water like mining hellstone makes lava?

EDIT: While I'm here I can't remember where to find lucky horseshoes.

That thing's all natural. No house to be found.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

There's only 2 things that can only be caught in the sky and one of them is a quest item.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

It should work fine, but for whatever reason the slot disappears if you remove the item directly, expert mode or not. So long as you always drop a new accessory on top of your 6th slot one it will never go away.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Nuebot posted:

So the wiki talks about sealing corruption and hallow in a lot as if it's something to worry about, and I've never found it a danger in the past. Did they make them spread faster or something? Or is this something I still shouldn't give a poo poo about like before?

It can be a problem in hardmode, where spread is faster and goes through more materials than early game.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Qylvaran posted:

According to the wiki, there are now biome-specific fishing crates, and the sky one can have sky chest items in it. With a lucky pyramid and sky lake, you can craft a bundle of balloons without any world-hopping.

Anyways, fishing is ridiculous. I spent about a half-hour on gathering bait (worm + star) and sonar potions, doing a couple quests, and fishing in the sea a bit, and now I have a better hook than the gem hook I was using, the best pre-hardmode pick, and a tiny minotaur following me around.

That's one of the 2 things I mentioned. All biomes with special chests have crates you can get chest items out of, so you're no longer have to remake to get everyone their horseshoes and the like (though you might as well because biome chests are really rare).

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

kazil posted:

It combines the functionality of the magic mirror and an item that displays any possible information you could want about your world/enemies.

One of the ingredients is dropped by the nymph.

Happy hunting.

3 of the ingredients are random fishing quest rewards :smithicide:

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Nuebot posted:

So there's horse shoe balloons now, can you make a bundle of horse shoe balloons?

You can't, but you can make a bundle of balloons and a horseshoe balloon for quintuple jumps that don't have fall damage. Or you can wait a few minutes for wings.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Early on you can fish up a Falcon Blade and that's going to be better than any yoyo you'll see before hardmode. Especially if the skeleton merchant is being a jerk and not showing up.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

pon alien posted:

The exploding whip-sword you can make out of solar fragments is very nice.

Just don't use it in your house because the burning debuff it causes spreads and kills npcs.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Ambaire posted:

I assume that the skeleton merchant is a rare creature and my REK 3000 will show it? Is there any special secret to finding one? Is it just a rare spawn like the bound goblin, lost girl and such? Does it stay around if you leave the area or does it despawn?

I dug a trench from one edge of the map to the other at about lava level... twice before I found him. I haven't gone looking for him again.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Llednar Twem posted:

I haven't fought it in the new version, but I remember the ichor spell being pretty amazing against that thing. If it hasn't changed since then, it might be worth switching to a magic setup and giving that a try. The hardmode staff that summons a damaging rain cloud is also pretty useful if memory serves.

One of the later 1.2 patches nerfed Golden Shower into the ground and also made The Destroyer immune to all debuffs.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Vargs posted:

Gonna play through this game again with a couple buddies due to the new update. Now that it's been live for a little while, what's the verdict on expert mode? We're interested in some of the new features it brings, but if the extra difficulty just feels like dumb bullshit where that isn't worth doing then maybe we'll pass.

Do you like everything having double hp, double damage, and new attack patterns that are really annoying to dodge?

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Tanith posted:

Musket balls and wooden arrows. 4 stacks of 999 each, crafted at the crystal ball the wizard sells you.

Sounds like a massive waste of money. Better off spending pocket change on party bullets.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

TheBlandName posted:

I start routinely going through stacks of musket balls once I get my first gun from the corruption or crimson. It's probably something about the bang noise. Once I hit hard mode I start going through stacks of the hard mode ammo, too. And I'm not talking stacks eventually; I mean I'm shooting multiple stacks of ammo on every outing. At that point having an infinite bag of bullets for "just in case" barely registers on the ammo expense report.

Well, for the cost of those 4 stacks of lovely ammo you could have gotten 8 stacks of good ammo and if you run out you have a mirror :v:

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

DoubleNegative posted:

This thing is an absolutely chaotic mess and I love it.

And despite not having stairways between the individual floors, my NPCs still find ways to visit with each other.

NPCs just love jumping down things. I put my hellshaft next to my base and get an apparent suicide probably once a day.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Ok, they're 5 per round but still :v: I usually run out of inventory long before I run out of ammo.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

You could also just buy a stack of mana potions from the merchant. Unlike health potions, mana potions have no cooldown and you can just chug them forever. Although it's a pain in the rear end to hit J in the middle of a fight, so you might want to move it to something reachable with the left hand.

There's a fish-that-is-also-a-hammer you can find in the caves that does about 25-30 damage. If you're lucky enough to find that early on, it absolutely crushes most early enemies.

You can also get a 30+ damage, super fast sword from iron crates. It also autoswings.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

The Lone Badger posted:

I'm guessing the old cross necklace + meteorite trick got nerfed at some point? I tried standing on a square just now and even with heavy armour and three regen boosts (campfire + heart lantern + honey) my health was going down fast.

Fire blocks now give you a DoT instead of hitting you for low damage occasionally, so you can't abuse hit iframes anymore.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

RatHat posted:

He only drops that in expert mode though. Is he still easy enough for someone new to hardmode to kill?

Hardmode gear of any kind will mow down normal mode dudes, even on expert.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

President Ark posted:

If you've killed the mech bosses then A) corruption spread has slowed down, and B) chlorophyte ore has spawned, which converts corrupt dirt back into mud and re-jungles it.

Seriously I don't understand where people got the idea that the corruption will just burn right through their jungle and make it impossible to progress if they don't rush right through everything. It takes ages for it to convert a single tile just because the odds of it getting the jungle grass off the mud and turning the mud into dirt before the jungle grass grows over it again are so low.

Probably stray memories of how fast corruption spread at the start of 1.1

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Pakled posted:

Or even cooked fish. You'll get a million otherwise-useless fish from even just occasionally doing the Angler quest and the buff from cooked fish lasts 20 minutes.

This is actually required to make regen buffs work in expert mode.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I start by snow biomes all the time and there's hardly ever any chests down there for me.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Cicadalek posted:

I was trying to mainly stick to summoner gear this time round, but I have to say it really doesn't seem worth it so far. My main issue is that the minions seem to get stuck on poo poo constantly, and don't catch up to you until you're more than a screen away. This causes me much grief on invasions, where my usual strategy is to hide inside a wooden box while my army of death spheres handle things. But half of them seem to get stuck inside with me at any given time.

It might get better once you get to post-golem stuff, but right now tiki armor + spheres just doesn't seem worth the tradeoff. You have lower armor, it eats up more accessory slots, and you miss out on full DPS because of lovely minion pathing. Eventually I just said gently caress it and switched to beetle armor and melee, it's measurably better.

Minions are more something going on while you do something else, at least until you get stardust dragon and things go crazy. The UFO minion from the martian invasion is pretty good til then, other ranged minions miss too much.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

The White Dragon posted:

iirc don't the Mech Eye pets have some kind of melee component? I remember thinking that they were really good.

I didn't have them when I tried pets out and don't have them yet on my latest guy, but I hear they're pretty decent, at least for crowd control. The piercing attack limit (6 per target per second regardless of source) makes them less good for bosses.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Just wait for your next solar eclipse.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Mexicat posted:

why are the endgame ranged weapons so poo poo. I can either use a bow (that is close ranged and goes against my stealth bonus because I have to get relatively close) or a badass rifle (which has a loving amazingly wide spread and therefore is also useless)

on top of that, the endgame ranged armor is just better shroomite armor, boring and disappointing, does look cool though.

Chlorophyte bullets. Also bows are kind of the area saturation option with holy/luminite arrows. Moon Lord drops a suped up megashark, too.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

So spend 2 gold a stack on exploding bullets and play crowd control. The bow's better against single targets anyway. The stealth is mostly a damage bonus and there's plenty of ways around the speed penalty.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Mexicat posted:

Anyone else does that better, sadly.

Just got nerfed. Both options are now equally mediocre.

It fires more projectiles more often for basically the same damage. It also has these extra shots that come out if you're consistently hitting a single target. It's really good even with -10 damage. You also have more items to buff bow damage than guns (archery potions, magic quivers).

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

LightningSquid posted:

Does anyone have a picture of the smallest possible acceptable room for an NPC? I actually want to be a jailor for my expert mode run, but I don't remember the exact setup I saw in this thread.

30 tiles inside, a torch, a flat object (table, workbench, some other random stuff), a comfort item (like a chair or toilet), a wooden platform or door on the outside of the room.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

GenericOverusedName posted:

...There's a buff limit?

You can only have 22 active buffs and debuffs at a time. This includes all pets, mounts, minecarts, potions and potion sickness.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

The difference is actually more on the hardmode picks because the way it rounds mining speed. Light shroomite digging claws dig almost as fast as you can fall.