Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I Said No
May 21, 2007

jesus dude ur gonna kill someone with that av

Gimbal lock posted:

Are there any reason for using sonar potions? It seems like at best you get exactly as advertised, and at worst your line snaps and you know exactly what you lost. Does it help with fishing somehow?

You don't have to reel in the thing when it pops up. Just sit and wait for something you want to appear, then reel it in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Said No
May 21, 2007

Work on my new base is coming along quite well, though i've built more towers than I know what to do with. Also I need to make my residents's rooms more thematic.

I Said No
May 21, 2007

Speaking of the new water physics, it may need a bit of tweaking. On worldgen most of my jungle is flooded with huge lakes, so I decide to drain one off so I can do some landscaping. Cue about 25% of my underground jungle getting flooded and the lake hasn't dropped a loving inch. :mad:
Also I finally got sick of looking for them so I used a map viewer to find the strange plants on my world. Turns out there was only two of them, both fairly deep underground. Got Reflective Gold and Reflective Obsidian dyes, and they are the poo poo. They look so loving cool.

I Said No
May 21, 2007

Spergminer posted:

What's the best for finding strange plants, the wiki suggests a dozen map editors and viewers.

Terramap. If you're looking for strange plants, you want to check "Dye Flowers" and not the blocks actually called Strange Plant 1 2 3 and 4.

I Said No
May 21, 2007

My attempts to Win At Building continue apace. While i'm at it I grabbed some screens of other poo poo I built too:

I Said No
May 21, 2007

The White Dragon posted:

Is this a reference to Monster Party? I hope it is.

I'm afraid not. It's just good ol' pumpkin carving.

I Said No
May 21, 2007

RareAcumen posted:

It can't possibly be worse than TF2's coding can it? :ohdear:

That depends on whether or not TF2's coding stores all the items in the game in a single nested if-else chain. All 3000+ of them.

I Said No
May 21, 2007

There needs to be a couple more variants of teleporters so you don't get surrounded by piss sparkles and make that weird BWEEEEEE noise.

I Said No
May 21, 2007

Zereth posted:

The Vortex Beater with Chlorophyte Bullets is loving cheating :staredog:

Think that's nasty? Try a Sniper Rifle with Luminite Bullets. :commissar:
Granted, Chlorobeater is better against single targets, but Lumirifle wipes large crowds out so easily it shouldn't be legal.

I Said No
May 21, 2007

Vargs posted:

Didn't he originally have a "PR guy" named Blue who was a complete disaster of a human being?

Yeah, The Best Gamers (a parody channel) gave Terraria one of their standard reviews, mostly mocking like they do with everything. He responded by trying to DMCA it, which may/may not have been illegal.
Plus the leak happened partially because someone got their hands on the copy and started trying to extort the devs with it, aka "give me this or I leak the game", and Blue's genius idea of dealing with this was to try and send the guy a virus to wreck his computer. Obviously it didn't work, and the guy was pissed and leaked the game.

I Said No
May 21, 2007

Half tempted to just make my own mod because the modpack's honestly not really doing it for me. :(

I Said No
May 21, 2007

We've already got a thread aaaaaaaaalllllllllllll about Starbound. :v: (dont go there)

I Said No
May 21, 2007

Get a phoenix blaster, it's probably the best pre-hardmode weapon besides the star cannon for mangling the WoF.

I Said No
May 21, 2007

Like what's even the justification for that? Freezing in the cold or what?

I Said No
May 21, 2007

Ashsaber posted:

Slow, IIRC unpowered, require lots of material to get more than a dozen blocks worth of track,can't run people over to kill them, did I mention slow and expensive?

Terraria gives you like 50 for one iron and one wood, Minecraft gives 16 standard rails for 6 iron and a stick.

I think that's part of what I like about Terraria vs Minecraft, there's less grind to do big builds in general. I incorporated that into mods i've designed for Starbound where I make sure players get a lot of building material, like converting one natural block into 50 build blocks. My users seem to really appreciate it, and honestly who wants to sit digging stuff out when you just want to build big cool things?

I Said No
May 21, 2007

If only the terraria animated series had suffered the same fate.

I Said No
May 21, 2007

I'll be honest, if Terraria had gotten official mod support i'd have dropped Starbound modding like a big bag of doodoo and never looked back. Terraria is just objectively a superior game in every regard except modding, and even then it's just my own distrust of having to deal with third-party bullshit that makes it not shine in that area for me personally.

I Said No
May 21, 2007

I just kind of can't trust third party stuff after the shitshow C&C Renegade devolved into when official support was dropped. The people who took over basically mandated that everyone install their own anti-cheat software to play the game at all - if you didn't, anyone who did have the anti-cheat basically had authority to kick you from any server without even being a moderator. It just seemed like a gigantic security hole waiting to happen on top of the whole idea just seeming skeevy as poo poo so I just didn't bother.

I get that it's a far cry between that and Terraria's mod loaders, but it still just soured me on the whole concept.

I Said No
May 21, 2007

Rynoto posted:

Modding chat because people always eventually ask what works well together.
code:
HERO's Mod v0.2.0.2

It's not THAT HERO, is it? What does his mod do, have a gigantic tantrum in public?

I Said No
May 21, 2007

What's the bet that the turds are a throwable weapon?

I Said No
May 21, 2007

Monkey-themed jungle outfit that grants a big set bonus to throwing poo, named the Dung-Fu Uniform

I Said No
May 21, 2007

Notch's core Thing has always been greed. I remember way way the gently caress back during Minecraft's development he actually had the loving gall to suggest wanting to charge modders a subscription fee to get a "license" that allows them to make mods for the game.

I Said No
May 21, 2007

Man this is why I really wish Terraria had official mod support. I'd jump ship from Starbound mods in a loving heartbeat if I didn't have to rely on third-party bullshit.

I Said No
May 21, 2007

I mean I decompiled Terraria once when it was in 1.1 (when the mechanical bosses were new) and the thousands of items were all stored in a single indented if/else chain. There's no loving way they still use that method in the game's current state, it was already a hellscape to look at before new stuff got added. It's not out of the question to clean the code up further if you ask me, even if it would take quite an effort to do so.

I Said No
May 21, 2007

ItBreathes posted:

I thought the problem with FF7 was they had lost the original (uncompressed) art assets.

All 20 polygons of it?

I Said No
May 21, 2007

Did you copy paste the full IP string from the thread here into the game? If you did, delete the :7780 at the end, put 7780 in the port prompt and try again. Ran into that one myself.

I Said No
May 21, 2007

Honestly if i'd ever mod anything for this it would be expanding on already existing content. Stuff like making corrupt/hallowed jungle equivalents so the jungle doesn't just get deleted by enroachment, maybe making large amounts of underground moss into biomes of their own with their own creatures.

I Said No
May 21, 2007

Hemingway To Go! posted:

Why not as an alternate to the Hallow as a version of "order" instead of yet another "chaos" biome
Even makes a nice duality to meat world of Crimson as the Hallow's good world has with Corruption's evil world

I always had a rough idea in my head that the biomes are aligned along a light/dark axis, and a creation/destruction axis. Corruption is destruction because everything's rotting and decaying, Crimson is creation because everything's way too overgrown and infested. Hallow is creation because everything's super vibrant and over the top. I figured light/destruction would be something like crystallization trapping everything in stillness forever.

I Said No
May 21, 2007

Eschenique posted:

I was looking up the ocean song to compare and first recommend was this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bx_WdY1R7YY

What is this even?

Probably just some young kids' goofy fun project or something. We've all been there.

I Said No
May 21, 2007

Patware posted:

still a better and more sensible change than removing sandmining in starbound

That's the lowest possible bar for comparison and you know it

I Said No
May 21, 2007

Babe Magnet posted:

I looked up the turnaround in reviews because I was curious if the devs actually did anything cool this time around, and I think it's just getting a concerted effort from maybe the official forums or discord to "review bomb" it with positive reviews in order to push the "recent reviews" to Overwhelmingly Positive. Last update of any note was back in June with their 1.4 update, and yet for some reason there have been over a thousand positive reviews since the first of the month, over a 100 a day in some cases, with most of them just reading "good game and fun"

So yeah what I'm saying is Starbound's good again boys, reinstalling now

That's loving bizarre. I'd ask if that breaks any kind of steam regulations, but getting valve to do jack poo poo about anything is an exercise in futility, so...

I Said No
May 21, 2007

my busted-rear end ancient computer completely crashes out and shuts down when it rains in terraria now :negative:

It's hardly terraria's fault, this happens with other games too now, but there's still something extremely depressing about not being able to play a game i've been playing with no issue whatsoever since it came out nearly a decade ago

I Said No
May 21, 2007

Is journey mode like sandbox/creative mode then or is it actual gameplay? I'm a bit confused.

I Said No
May 21, 2007

Terraria, created by Andrew "At least i'm not Tiyuri" Spinks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I Said No
May 21, 2007

Dareon posted:

Stalactites cling TIGHT to the ceiling, stalagmites MIGHT grow to reach them someday (in which case they become a column, but no one needs a mnemonic for that one).

I always heard it as stalactites cling TITE to the ceiling, and if you're not careful you MITE fall on a stalagmite.