Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bat Ham
Apr 22, 2008

Bat Nan
So I'm about to enter Hardmode on my first playthrough, and this is my current house:

I know I'll need to expand it for the new NPCs at least, but in terms of defence what do I need to sure up? A few things I've read suggest that anything short of a hovering or underground fortress surrounded by 6 blocks of wood on all side will be a pain in the rear end to deal with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bat Ham
Apr 22, 2008

Bat Nan

i am tim! posted:

Since we're talking about base structure, and since I'm reinstalling the game right now!, I was wondering if somebody could give me some pointers on Workshop and Storage layout, and how to relate them to one another. I've always had trouble finding the right balance between too many and not enough chests/categories, and how to place them around my workshop so I have an easy time accessing all the materials I have stored without having to go waaaaaaaaaaaay over there.

Early on you can stack everything together pretty easily, but by mid-hardmode my last base had about 32 or more very full chests in my 'main' store room, plus a bunch of others dotted around the place in different areas. The best tip I found was prioritising building materials for your big warehouse-like area that's near your workshop, and smaller caches of chests elsewhere depending on the contents/category. E.G. I had two chests in a fishing shack that held my baits, fishing potions, rods, crates etc. Another in my armour gallery that had all of my obsolete armour, another in my potion workshop/garden that held ingredients and potions and so on. I still had to spring clean fairly often with that setup towards the end and prioritised resources that were still being used (so copper got shunted to the most remote chest in the warehouse, for example).

I broke my base up into multiple buildings and rooms within them, though, so that worked for me. There was the odd bit of running back and forth but it didn't bother me too much. If you're after a super-optimised layout that means you can do everything in the smallest available space then I've got no idea.

EDIT: Also, for aesthetic's sake, mix it up. There are plenty of furniture containers that you can craft other than chests.

Bat Ham fucked around with this message at 07:09 on May 19, 2016