Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Holy arrows murder the destroyer because the stars always hit him and pierce through everything and also destroy his drones, crystal bullets should also work and they work great on the other two mech bosses.

My strategy for plantera uses both spectral helms, I use the damage-dealing one for the first part of the fight and then switch to the healing one when it gets down to the wire. Mostly use the harp, circle strafing him in a granite biome. Sometimes use magnet sphere, but probably not necessary. Maybe trailing him like the twins could work better since I do get hit quite a bit but would require more work to set up.

The golem is a complete joke

I don't intend to go to the lunar events until I've completely farmed everyone else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Blackheart posted:

I've made a lot of throwaway worlds for massive deforestation. It's an ecology disaster.

It is pretty satisfying to just go full Once-ler on a world

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
I prefer Crimson to Corruption because it gives you access to Ichor weapons and Vampire Knives.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
STORYTIME

So you all were like Get a Cosmic Car Key as like the solution to everything, so when I saw a martian probe I was like Hm, I have beetle armor with fishron flair and spectral armor with magnet sphere and a lot of other toys and the thread talks this up like it's no big deal, okay bring it on martians!!!

Uuuuugghhhh

No, the martian invasion is something you MUST prepare for. Not really because of the peons. They can be a handful but I could've taken this if it was just them

No. The saucers are a loving nightmare.
They have a shitload of firepower, they will hound you so hard that you MUST be able to concentrate on them to the exception of all else, and you cannot out maneuver them. They will zoom straight above you. You go above them, then they do that again, and suddenly the drat thing is blasting you from above the atmosphere while you're in space.
There's no way to shrug of its firepower. It's relentless, perfectly aimed except for the ID4 beam, and it will out-dps you even if you have a clever combo of armor and tools.

But then I found a way to fight them

(that's an unfinished building that I probably won't finish)
None of the saucers firepower can go through walls and no matter what it WILL stay above you. So if you're in a place with a ceiling and a wall at the right angles, it cannot hit you. As long as I stayed in that corner.
Unfortunately most weapons can't reach it from there either.

Except the yo yo. So that's how I spent my martian invasion, hiding in a tree murdering sauces with yo yos. Got like three or four that way.
Trouble is even when the hyped up cosmic car key dropped, it thwarted all other attempts to face it on in a less cowardly fashion.

But really martian invasions are lame.
They are made so that they occur without your preparation or consent since the event occurs from a random mob encounter instead of a summoning item and they need both, don't let them invade until you think you can take on the saucers.
However the good news about that design is unlike other events you can prevent them. So do that if you're not absolutely sure.

Other news: Today I built an armory.

not as tightly themed/built as most of you wonderkinds make but I made it so I'm going to show it off, it's based on how I remember an apple ii game's high score screen sorta kinda

Hemingway To Go! fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Jul 15, 2015

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
Well it makes the dryad happier

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
To open the crimson chest you still have to kill all three mech bosses in that world so you can kill plantera there, by then you might as well have just started there.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
What about hiding underground until night falls

I think that stops invasions but I'm not sure

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
Pirates are a little better simply because they do not have anyone who can move/shoot through walls. Not even their boss ship does that.
Goblin summoners are a loving pain until you can deal with them.

(^ am I forgetting a pirate? how did they kill your npcs if they can't go through walls?)

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
this is why you use active stone blocks, or put you door high off the ground and just use grapples or ropes to get to them.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
btw if you get titanium from fishing and your world just has adamentium, use that to make armor, not weapons or frost armor.

palladium, orichallium, and titanium armor sets actually have extra powers when completed unlike cobalt, mythril, and adamentium.
titanium's not only stronger than adamentium, it gives you a shadow dodge power, hit the enemy and for twenty seconds you'll dodge the next attack.
Palladium's also nice as it has extra healing so you start with that you might be able to attempt some bosses you wouldn't starting with just cobalt.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
Man I'd like to get some more Fishron kills before moving onto the moons and then the lunar events so that I can get some more crazy op fishron gear, his flail has been loving amazing, but it's difficult to find a gear combo that can make winning much easier than it was last time.
The asphalt road didn't work, you need to use both dimensions to dodge him and his tornados. The Cosmic car key+magnet sphere doesn't work too well - it's kind of a downgrade from spectral wings actually because you lose the ability to use the ninja gear's air dash, so you have to be super good at how to maneuver around him without getting hit.
My most recent idea was to set up a system of teleport pads but that might take a while to get right and get to the point where it's really not worth it. If you teleport too far, he'll despawn. Teleport too close and he'll catch up and you won't have time to react.
Maybe I SHOULD try the moon events first, I already have set the traps. Or try for another awful martian invasion, I've built something to help take care of saucers when they show up...

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

Cador_2004 posted:

Have you been staying in the ocean Biome? Fishron goes nuts if you leave it like Plantera in the jungle. He's much easier to dodge with the UFO when he's not in charge-murder mode, though still somewhat tricky.

I don't think so, though it depends on how high biomes extend since I can get pretty far up in these frantic chases.

you know as long as the cell phone is giving info it should tell you what biomes your area qualify for. Maybe next update.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

Leper Residue posted:

On my first solar eclipse I got a broken hero's blade and nothing else. On my second I got two broken hero's blade, death sickle, chainsaw, nail gun, moon stone, mothron wings and an eye of chtulu. It was ridiculous (and awesome).

edit: Oh wait, forgot about the silly amount of neptune shells that dropped each time I had to junk cause I was running out of space in my inventory.

Don't junk drops you don't need. Wait until the eclipse is over, pick them up, sell them.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
Use item frames. They are your friend. This is a lesson I learned from minecraft.

And also accept any scheme you come up with is a first draft and will have unforseen mistakes, but that's still better than not being able to find anything.

(Also I cannot emphasize enough to put every alchemy plant and fish in a chest next to your alchemy table, that way you will know EXACTLY what you can brew just by opening the chest. That feature is such a godsend to brewing)

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
i've kept most of my crafting stations in a box to be taken out as needed because I don't need to make furniture out of slime or ice all the time

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
Ok, I got one more fishron kill in! (And two plantera kills without using buffs)
Fishron I used cosmic car key + posessed hatchet + beetle armor high def version + stat boosting accessories instead of wings, boots, or ninja gear + all the buffs.
The fish CAN be dodged with that combo but with a hit taken every now and then especially post second stage, and you have to be careful not to run into a tornado.

Plantera both times used cosmic car key + fishron super weapons. The second time I was just testing out the tempest staff to see if I really wanted to stop using the deadly sphere. It turns out yes, I do. Deadly spheres get caught on platforms. Tempests fly through and are so good about killing poo poo it almost feels unfair. I almost feel like I could take on a moon event with a similar setup without traps, even.

So cosmic car key, despite not letting you dash, might be better than wings since it frees up a slot + infinite flight might be better than even really good wing flight. But when using it it's actually better to NOT have an arena. I almost got killed both times getting caught on platforms. Not walls, platforms. Annoying. But at least with the car key it'll be easier to build a teleport to the other ocean. Again, infinite flight is probably the best...

Do you only get one chance to take on the martians or something? Tried flying through space with a battle potion and did not find any probes. First time I encountered probes I encountered TWO and I was just in my abnormally high jungle biome, not flying.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

TWIST FIST posted:

It still has a niche. It's the strongest melee weapon with homing which is useful when you want to just focus on dodging or just don't want to bother aiming. I have an easier time at the Nebula Pillar using that than any of the other Pillar or Moon Lord weapons.

Or if an enemy is too fast to aim at.
Posessed hatchet vs Duke Fishron was a pretty good combo, not only does it hit him constantly but it also blocks his bubbles.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
man getting through the lunar events is more complicated than I thought.
Vortex parked itself on something I built for mashing moon events and never got to test, so that's done. Trying to do Stardust next and it is not easy.
There haven't really been any enemies at some other point in the game that split like ameobas.

I thought I'd be clever and build tunnels but there's a lot of wall penetrating enemies and apparently unlike other invasions stardust enemies also occur in the underground.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
I just beat stardust
Tactical shotgun + chlorophyte bullets seem to do the trick pretty well

Next to kill the solar pillar, but it's up in the jungle which is mostly lakes and hills, making it difficult to stay on the drat ground.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

The Lone Badger posted:

Or just keep hosing everything down with chlorophyte bullets. They home in on the tails.

Edit: Testing on a target dummy it seems that luminite bullets do lose damage to piercing invulnerability when used with the vortex beater - I was getting less dps than with chloro even at point blank. What a pity that the top-tier bullets are not usable with all the top-tier guns (which are all super-rapid-fire).

Some solar enemies can reflect arrows and bullets, seems like a bad idea.

I think I have some ideas but they'll be on hold while I attend to some work that has piled up + large grading assignments this week. Stupid real life getting in the way of my video games :mad:

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
they are but for some things you'll need at least demonite from killing first few bosses.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
Killed solar and nebula pillars this morning and fought the moon lord!

The moon lord won.

I was close! Phantasm + stardust dragon had him down to just a little sliver of health. I didn't have many buffs on at the time because I had just charged into nebula with a possessed hatchet for the fun of it without thinking too hard about things, and if I had had iron skin or regeneration I would've won.

So now I have a general strategy for each pillar and also I'll be able to build some infastructure before starting this up again. The pillars spawn the same order and general position when you resummon them, right? Also I'll have fragment weapons for dealing with poo poo this time.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
quick question: Corruption spread is supposed to slow the gently caress down after killing hardmode bosses, right? Well I've killed everyone except the drat moon lord, and no matter how much I spray down various areas the corruption in them eventually grows back.

Playing Corruption Cleanup Crew sounds like the least interesting thing I could be doing in this game, is there some easy way of making sure at least some key spots don't grow corrupty or is there some simple way of just making things not spread with a mod or a config file edit or something, or do I have to get it done thoroughly and get it done right by hand.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
yrimir showed how to kill it in 2 seconds, if you are very, very lucky: Ninja gear gives you 10% chance to avoid damage, turtle armor fully reflects dealt damage.

If you get hit twice and it's dodged twice from the ninja accessory, the turtle armor will kill it.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

TWIST FIST posted:

I've been digging out "islands" that are separated from all other blocks by 3 empty spaces and then cleaning them, that stops the corruption from spreading to those.

If digging is the answer, I'm not doing it until I get the drill mount.
Which will take a while, and also means I have an extra moon lord fight before I can have the cool post-moon outfits.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
Stardust pillar I beat by going to town with chlorophyte bullets and a tactical shotgun, Vortex pillar by camping behind walls with minions and traps, solar with a buffed mage loadout with specter healing and a dragon helping out, nebula by staying in the air and using top tier melee items. I had wanted to beat each pillar with a different class so I'm glad it worked.

Not only is vortex the easiest to cheese, but if you beat it first you can get the phantasm. Load up with holy arrows and now every other pillar goes down in seconds.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
That's a pretty funky dance, Dryad. Show me how you do it.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
I keep imagining, someday, doing a "chestless" game, where everything that can be placed in the world that I keep is in fact kept that way. All coins in piles, all blocks in other piles, all weapons on racks, etc.

item framing every crafting ingredient one at a time is kind of pushing it.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

Holyshoot posted:

This!!^ Vanilla minecraft is poo poo but I got heavily into modded and this game makes me have the same feeling. Play for 4 hours straight and you're like. Where the gently caress did the time go.

Modded Minecraft feels VERY different than Terraria to me, because it's about building complex equipment and automation facilities, even magic oriented mods like Botania and Witchery are about learning complex crafting processes and figuring out how to gain vast amounts of energy. Though I never tried to hard at the combat, you do not really have the robust system of stats and such. The best mods cannot change that the engine is not suited for combat.

Terraria's crafting never gets more complicated than selecting a recipe off a list. There's no modification, timers, or catalysts, just have the thing and walk next to the thing. Meanwhile much of the combat can be accomplished without gaming the system and there is so much variety in enemies, invasions, and bosses.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

Jastiger posted:

I take like tons of damage from slimes because I try to slash them and they are too low/high and just hit me in the foot/head and i become frustrated.

make a wooden sword or use just about any alternative you can find to the copper shortsword, it is terrible.
If one thing does not work try something else.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
Closest I can think of atm are minecraft modpacks hexxit, omp-sigma, and omp-i. These are the few modpacks I know of with loot and dungeons that are edited to be rewarding. Combat's still kind of poo poo but at the least you'll be able to eventually shoot lightening and fly if you learn how to use the mods.

Of course they're far more like learning a complicated college course than going on a simple rpg adventure like terraria, baby's first space race is a good modpack for getting the basics of how to work with modded minecraft.

Do not play agrarian skies for that. It's tedious as poo poo and also pretty much expects you to know how to cheese the game from the start despite people saying that it will teach you how to use tech mods and automate. You'll have to get through HOURS of the game to get enough iron to make the basic tech things and that's IF you manage the early painful parts with shifting through dirt, not falling off a platform, and knowing what is the right food to feed your constantly starving character.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

lordfrikk posted:

If you're like me you'll be very disappointed (especially with vanilla MC). I'm biased against Minecraft as you might deduce from my post, it's mainly because I bought it in alpha and it never materialized into even a 1/100 of game the likes of Terraria. And that's after 6 years. Some people just know what they want the game to be and some people kind of flail around producing half-assed product and are only saved by other people's creations being added on top of their "game".

Yes, I agree with that assessment of vanilla minecraft. For as popular as it is, it is really a badly programmed non-game. It feels like a modest indie game experiment not something that earned its creator millions and has merchandise and will have movies and poo poo.

Modded minecraft is another story - I find it interesting because it's evolving in a far different way than any regular game made to sell, not necessarily in a better or worse way but in a completely unlikely way.

Terraria has evolved far more each official update, and for all the poo poo given to its combat and stuff it's pretty much the best of its genre when it comes to open world building games.

Continuing to try to be helpful and probably failing: Removing the building aspect if you're looking for action-rpgs maybe check out the roguelike megathread, it contains both the complicated ascii roguelikes and games more in the vein of ftl and binding of isaac, some of which I had never heard of. Only 3d one that gets recommended is Eldritch, which is a game I like but it kind of has poor loot and is more about avoiding combat.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

Gobblecoque posted:

Get some souls of light, use them to summon hallowed mimics and kill them until you get a Daedalus Stormbow. Then get some holy arrows.

Congrats, you beat the Destroyer!

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
I killed the moonlord

seconds after I died because of stardust dragon, and apparently that meant it did not count because there was no loot or achievement.

Ok, third invasion's the charm. At the very least the looooong stardust dragon + solar flail combo made mincemeat of the lunar cultist.

By the way, the pillars do switch order, they are currently all in the worst possible places they could be in. Ugh. Even with all the celestial weapons and poo poo this is going to be kind of annoying. (It's very annoying because the celestial banners don't mean poo poo this way unless you are good at placing them while under celestial attack, or just place one for each type in all locations...)

Hemingway To Go! fucked around with this message at 03:51 on Jul 27, 2015

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

Sjonnar posted:

You died... because of stardust dragon? Help me out here.

sorry, I died but fraction of a second afterwards the moon lord died - though to me it looked like we were dying simulataneously - because the stardust dragon was out and finished ml off

just kinda peeved that it didn't count. i want broken moon lord weapons too.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
I kinda prefer the terrablade because its projectile penetrates more mobs, though I have not tried influx waver against a boss.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

rodney mullenkamp posted:

Expert Frost Moon was slaughtering me until I jumped ahead to the Martian invasion and picked up an Influx Waver. With that I was able to take down the Santa mechs and Ice Queens handily.

What does it do against those that terra blade doesn't? Do you have an arena set up for moon events?

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
I know that, I mean tactically. I have both but I am shying away from moon events for now, just wondering why terrablade would be insufficient in the same place.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
However, they do spawn under the pillars underground.

I'd stay away until you've got at least one martian invasion under your belt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

grancheater posted:

This moon dude seems kinda bs

I have been killed by him twice, but that means I'm on my third invasion I have a plan this time