Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I have now beaten moon lord twice
First time got star wrath and second time got meowmere. With stardust armor + dragon + meowmere + no potion buffs, I got three fishron kills and soloed frost moon to wave ten before dying. Not bad, but all they dropped was the drat tree hook.
Gonna put the game down for a month because I have made my goal (kill the moon lord) and at this point I'm farming instead of actively experimenting and having fun, like I cannot bring myself to perform against the moon lord in a fight where I'm actively dodging and stuff
Oh well, fun while it lasted.

Note the secret this time:
If you are fighting from a box, make the box SMALL

bigger than this and his hands will come in all the time, and the idea isn't just to block attacks but to keep all three eyes constantly within reach of a solar eruption.
I tried with a bigger box 4 times.
heart lanterns + star lanterns seem to work during the fight, so do heart statues, not sure about the honey but oh well, the spear trap goes right over his heart but probably not needed. the heart statue was a big help.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
You can now quick stack to nearby chests. Alt clicking a square of your inventory such as your healing potions prevents you from accidentally getting your healing potions sent to a box without you noticing and then getting caught without them later.

Also, there are item frames now, that can hold ANYTHING. Put an item frames with representative items in them next to chests and now you can remember what all your chests are for at a glance.

Yoyos work by holding the mouse button down.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
The cultist will have the x/32000 healthbar when you hover over him, too, in case you're not quite sure who's the most transparent.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
nothing goes through walls there, just wall yourself in. Don't even half to be fancy about entry, just mine in and out instead of using wires and actuators

e: also jungle biome fishing has a summoning potion ingredient.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
use holy arrows on destroyer, win. Make megashark with crystal bullets, win against the other two.
Meetyourdemize's videos of his low tier gear victories against them helped.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
That is because he is.

It took a long time to figure out how to beat him but even now it's not a sure thing.
Here's what's worked for me
1.) Fishron is a boss that is actually more skill based than others - his lunges and other attacks have a degree of predictability, and it is impossible to make a build with pre moon lord gear at least that will make it not a threat, and no gear gives you enough speed to simply outrun him like the twins, you will have to practice to learn how to dodge it. I mean several people gave some ideas for builds they said would make him a non issue but none of them worked for me. So make practicing easier on yourself by making a teleporter to the ocean instead of having to trek out there every time, and get a big glut of worms too.
2.) It was a suggested to make an asphalt road to fight him on. This doesn't work because the sharknados make huge roadblocks. Neither did an attempt of mine to set up a system of teleporters to fight him with. Maybe there's a way to make that work, I do consider myself a weak player. Otherwise, you'll need to have a proper arena that will allow for vertical dodging OR the flying saucer.
3.) The ninja gear from the dungeon gives you a double tap dash that works even when you're jumping or falling. It helped me a lot. Other accessories included what I think of as the cheesing type: Charm of Myths to allow for potion chugging if you can hold out long enough, cross necklace to cut damage down a bit, maybe a couple others that raise defence.
4.) You probably will not be able to concentrate on aiming and dodging at the same time, and you will be dodging. Either make chlorophyte bullets(With a tactical shotgun is what worked for me), use a homing melee weapon, or some kind of homing spell. The last one I've never quite been sucessful with except with nebula weapons I think, I'm not great at mana management or mage builds.
(also farming clorophyte is something that looks like it will suck but is actually easy and fun when you try it)
5.) The ninja gear also gives you a % chance to dodge attacks, and so does the titanium armor. Using those might help if you get hit a lot.

As always I recommend watching the meetyourdemize and yrmir videos, they recommend tactics that for the most part do not require extremely rare drop items for the most part, though tactical shotgun is something you'll have to dungeon farm for.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
no it's fine, my tips and recommendations were for normal mode, I am not prepared to play unfun mode, and also that gif is good and hilarious

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
For me it was large area, spector armor, harp or other fast firing mage weapon and crystal bullets when mana was low or something, at this point it's a bit hard to remember. I'd use the high damage hood early fight and healing hood later.

The trick is learning how to lead the thing around in circles and watch your flight time, watch a video to get some ideas.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
put actuators on the lid to the honey trap, execute every travelling merchant after browsing their wares, it is for the best.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

Main Paineframe posted:

Placing wire is pretty easy now, with the smart cursor and flying mounts it's almost as easy as minecart track. The only problem is cost - wire is pretty expensive.

"flying mounts" the operative word, they're all pretty late game or rare drops

Some ways about going about long distance wires earlier game would be pretty nice.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

kvx687 posted:

Speaking of Plantera, will it enrage if I lure it into a nearby granite section? It would be a pretty good premade arena, but I don't know if it still counts as part of the jungle. There is jungle on both sides if that matters, it isn't right at the edge or anything.

no it won't, that's where I killed it many times. It just enrages in the surface.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

Supremezero posted:

Oh yeah, making a world-wide grid arena (that the guy in the video obviously didn't make either) is totally viable.

lol if u dont ufo mount before letting moonmen invade your world.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
destroyer's easiest if you know the trick

but also the souls of might are the most useful out of the three for making better weapons.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
use holy arrows on destroyer, it not only multihits the segments but kills most of the probes before they can get to you
destroyer first is good because souls of might make the most helpful weapons for early hard mode.

if you min max with a solar flair you can fight Moose Lord in a little box around you, though you have to build it precisely, I don't exactly remember what I did it's been a while.
E: Wait, it's on expert? And this is your first time? Nvm, then, you're effed.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
It's been several pages of newbie help, so forgive me if I mention something that has been mentioned:

I was having trouble with the hardmode bosses for forever until I found the low level strategies on youtube from Demize and yrimir, which showed you could beat these bosses yourself with some proper strategies and not glitch exploitation or grinding 1000 hours for the best gear. (The holiday armies are still unbeatable, however)

The destroyer is the one to go for first, he's easy once you have a strat that deals with his probes and all that. It's shown in the vids.

Just cutting the crap and showing you who has useful info instead of the guy from the thread title who is "charmingly inept" or the whiny baby who cried on air or poo poo like that, it's really hard to find people who actually do things well on youtube sometimes.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
See my thread post history for the two links I gave. Chlorophyte bulletes or Magnet Sphere are good ideas against fishron. You need a homing weapon, he's too fast to aim at.

Razorpine pre supposes that one's able to grind up one of the holiday events, which is tedious to do automated and nearly imposible to do single player especially if you have cannot defeat high tier hardmode bosses.

Cultist's attacks can be learned and by the time you face him you should have decent gear.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

dis astranagant posted:

Medusa is now Hardmode-only.

Rip expert mages.

Medusa being able to one-shot your character from off screen early game (or even being in the game at all because she's annoying as poo poo) has been one of the biggest gripes of this thread, but I guess there's a reason to complain about everything

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
Trying to pick this up and see how xbox controls feel, but I'm still pretty burnt out on the game...
What is the controller version of shift clicking? I'm having trouble figuring the default xbox control scheme out for some reason.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
Take out the blue candles.

Water candles increase spawn rates. They're good for grinding but if you can't deal taking them out can help.

Also take the books out, one of them might be a powerful weapon.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

Ali Aces posted:

I think the intent for those rarer items is to have stuff that not everybody gets, but who wants to play a game like this where you can't reasonably get everything?

Well I would.

Being a completionist is not really a goal of a game, there is no achievement for having every item, and I so I think "game will not let me be a completist" isn't really an applicable criticism.

If the game let you have everything easily, however, it would run counter to some of the goals of gameplay which is to have interesting exploration and to make repeated playthoughs different.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

dis astranagant posted:

Skeletron on expert is a matter of making a big arena (3+ tiers of platforms about 2 screens wide should work, with heart lanterns and campfires spread around to provide their buffs) and running around with hermes boots + shield of cthulhu to avoid most of his attacks. Then just use your favorite weapon that can hit him from across the screen til he dies.

The important thing about skeletron on expert I saw from Yrimir (which will remain secondhand because fuuuuuuck expermod) is that you need ROOFS TO HIDE UNDER

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
there's plenty of endgame level gear that does not require you to grind moon events. See the wiki or look for low level videos.

At the very least if you ask someone to use moon event tools to give some advice on how to do actually get those, it's not like walking into a dungeon or something

I have beaten the game multiple times and I have never gotten anything from moon events.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

Thor-Stryker posted:

Once you figure out how to do Martian events with a rooftop, you'll unlock the spaceship and it'll trivialize everything but the last boss.

I'm not sure there's a way to do it without a rooftop

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
Re: Expert Mode Skeletron, I have no interest in expert mode, but Yrimir's low level guide avoids skulls by first destroying both hands nearly simultaneously and then has an interesting boss arena with roofs to avoid the others.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
They do in fact die, and there are certain weapons you can only get if they die. See the wiki.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
Chlorophyll can grow.

If you set up some seeded mud blocks next to your hellavator (see the wiki) then you can just gather some every trip underground

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

No Safe Word posted:

Not to mention that Chlorophyte Bullets are The loving Best. If you want to go all the way to the very end of the game I'd recommend at least a small Chlorophyte farm. I prefer putting mine in the underworld/hell itself, but it's not necessary.

Usually I recommend the low tier armor videos in my post history in this thread (I'm on a phone but click the question mark under my avatar, I went from being helpless against mechanical bosses to finishing the moon lord multiple times)

But fast bosses like duke fishron are probably barely even possible to solo without homing capabilities of chlorophhte bullets. I haven't played the game in a long while so there's probably magic options or some option from repitively dying to holiday events like every else recommends, but the chlorophyte is right there.

E: Demizes solo guides and ymir's speedruns

Hemingway To Go! fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Nov 7, 2016

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
So, there's acouple Terraria likes I've heard of or seen a little bit of gameplay of on youtube.
There's Realms of Magic, which seems to have a lot of RPG elements like skill trees and dialog with NPCs, and Dig or Die, which has tower defense.
Does anyone have any opinions on these? What interests me is building and figuring out what to gather or craft and understanding all that, and some depth of combat.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
I haven't played the game in a while but for those talking strategies, here's a mostly glitchless run that kills the moon lord in 90 minutes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lI62Gf7bc3c

So it uses dynamite in ways I had not bothered with to cheese things, uses a hellavator glitch to get rid of most of skeletron prime's arms, uses actuators in a way I have never considered in order to get into the bottom of the temple and steal the altar, summons the king slime to grind souls, but is mostly fair otherwise. Crystal bullets and ichor arrows are just really, really powerful together. Plantera only needs a small arena for first stage, and a hellavator drop for second stage.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway

Crimson Harvest posted:

I want a machine biome as an evil option to go with purple and red.

Why not as an alternate to the Hallow as a version of "order" instead of yet another "chaos" biome
Even makes a nice duality to meat world of Crimson as the Hallow's good world has with Corruption's evil world

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
I thought I'd get around to playing mods since everyone talks about them but

can someone explain why the tmodloader for gog terraria is abandoned

I'd like to have multiple copies of terraria installed so I can try out multiple mod packs and not break worlds and things, and plus steam has the cloud save thing going. I'd like to just have terraria with mods installed where I want to install it.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
for it's eighth anniversary Terraria gains lore

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
Hows the terraria-like game "It Lurks Below"? Checked the wiki for it and seems like it's different and could be interesting, wondering if anyone else tried it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

- ernest hemingway
check back on it in three years, got it