Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IntelligibleChoir
Mar 3, 2009
Has anyone worked out if the "steam integration" for dedicated servers actually does anything? I've turned it on but it doesn't seem to make a difference.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IntelligibleChoir
Mar 3, 2009

Geektox posted:

I would imagine it feeds Steam server information can use the functions like Join Game and View Players from Steam itself

It doesn't though. At least not as far as I can tell -

Since you can't run dedicated server through steam itself you don't end up in a situation where other players can click on you and "join game". And afaik steam has no "server discovery" mechanism so the entire thing seems pointless.

Trying to get out of setting up dynamic DNS just so my friends can join the server.

IntelligibleChoir
Mar 3, 2009

Main Paineframe posted:

So what is the deal with the multiplayer Steam integration now? I have yet to find an informed description of what, exactly, has changed. Does it mean that dedicated servers are no longer necessary?

Dedicated servers are still necessary if you want a dedicated server. Dedicated server doesn't appear to be compatible with steam integration.

IntelligibleChoir
Mar 3, 2009
You used to only need about 80% of the wall tiles placed to make it a valid room... i hope they didn't change that.

"Background walls may contain holes if the holes are no taller or wider than four tiles. (e.g. 4 background tiles across or tall, so the maximum size is 4x4, 16 in total. The hole cannot exceed 4x4 or 16 tiles.). Walls may have multiple holes as long as they are separated by at least a single tile of background walls."

IntelligibleChoir
Mar 3, 2009

This is a picture of just the main base of our multiplayer world. We have gotten pretty carried away. That thing at the bottom is the teleporter network.

You'll probably need to open the image in a new tab to see its horrible glory.

IntelligibleChoir
Mar 3, 2009

SirDan3k posted:

I thought they changed it so that invasions target clusters of NPCs not just the original spawn?

Yeah, invasions focus where npcs are grouped now.

Source: our town is halfway to the map edge.

IntelligibleChoir
Mar 3, 2009

The Wonder Weapon posted:

In case anyone else is having this problem: I couldn't find truffle worms at all on our tshock server. After loading up a different world in single player I found 15 in 30 minutes. We also have people that are hundreds and hundreds of bats in without a trifold map, and I bet that's related to tshock as well.

If you're having trouble finding items/enemies on a tshock server, try elsewhere

Tshock is buggy as gently caress at the moment.

Regarding "not enough slots" comments: once you have the Ufo mount you can remove your shoes and wings so

IntelligibleChoir fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Jul 21, 2015

IntelligibleChoir
Mar 3, 2009

watho posted:

Just stopping by to say gently caress crawtipedes forever.

Someone here said that they won't attack you if you're touching a dirt block, so just build sky dirt where you want to fight to avoid the ground mobs.

IntelligibleChoir
Mar 3, 2009

Akett posted:

That raises a lot of interesting questions. I'm sure it doesn't need to be dirt because I've fought them on snow and mud, so material is not a factor. Does it have to be impeding your movement in some way? Because if not you can just fill the sky with bubble blocks you can move easily through while not getting poo poo from the crawtipedes. Will it work similarly for actuated blocks?

There's a lot of ways this can be abused if we figure out the exact conditions needed to aggro the crawtipedes.

1.3.0.7: crawltipedes will now attack any player that presses the "jump" key
1.3.0.8: crawltipedes will now attack any player that presses the "mount" key

IntelligibleChoir
Mar 3, 2009

Judgement posted:

I actually went out of my way to seed various parts of my world with corruption because I wanted a dumb super corrupt gimmick world, and I still barely had any noticable growth beyond what was already there. Unless you're running on a persistent world server or otherwise leave your game going for really long periods of time, you pretty much never have to actually worry about that poo poo.

The default server hibernates if there aren't any players on it. I'm not sure if tshock has an override for this.

IntelligibleChoir
Mar 3, 2009

Prop Wash posted:

Isn't that a problem with pretty much any terraria server though? I don't think the game would be much fun if you started playing along with people that are, like, two or three tiers above or below you.

Still, if there was a larger online presence, some admin tools to control that stuff might be nice. Maybe a "no hardmode allowed" checkbox?

Tshock does pretty much that.

IntelligibleChoir
Mar 3, 2009

LLCoolJD posted:

If I were you I'd look up that trick for moving the Golem altar (using actuators?).

Alternatively just seal up the entrances so medusas don't go wandering in.

IntelligibleChoir
Mar 3, 2009

Section Z posted:

That... probably doesn't work.

All my medusas seen so far have been wandering in the jungle underground. The first Marble Biome I've seen is a smallish thing, with a closed wall on one side, and a 40 tile gap with a two screen drop between it's opening and any jungle surface. When I've actually been IN that chunk of marble biome, no medusas. I guess because then they couldn't try to turn me to stone when they are in dark waters I couldn't see them in ahead of time in the marble biome.

PS: tried sealing it with a quick patchjob of lots of mud. Didn't help.

That is lame. Can they still stone you during the golem fight through the walls?

Just move the altar using the actuator trick mentioned above: actuate the three blocks underneath it, deactivate them and put thr golem altar amongst your spike ball traps.

IntelligibleChoir
Mar 3, 2009
Keep everything. There is a rumour that 1.3.1 adds weapons forged from 20 stacks of dirt.

IntelligibleChoir
Mar 3, 2009
On our multiplayer server we just have a massive filing system. It does mean someone needs to go through chests every now and then to sell 40 unicorn mounts.

IntelligibleChoir
Mar 3, 2009

Internet Kraken posted:

I actually managed to finish building something for once.

Housing hotel for all my NPCs where I gave them themed rooms as compensation for being shoved into boxes. They can freely visit every floor though since I figured out a stair layout that actually works. Of course as soon as I put in those balconies I discovered that they sometimes hurl themselves over the side for kicks but I'm too tired to fix that. This took forever to complete because I'm indecisive and slow.

I guess now I should finally get around to killing plantera.

This is great :)

IntelligibleChoir
Mar 3, 2009

kazil posted:

Counterpoint: Expert mode is for punching yourself in the dick repeatedly and if you are starting out the game and don't know if you will enjoy it why bother?

Count counter point: expert is harder for a little bit near the start and then kind of the same later on as far as i could tell.

IntelligibleChoir
Mar 3, 2009
If you have no skill you can solo him with a box, stand in honey, heart lantern, beetle shell armor, 150hp heal pots, band of myths, ice tortoise shell, ankh shield, paladin shield, ufo, endurance pot and inronskin pot and regeneration pot. Stand in box and hit him casually because he can't outdamage you and the box blocks lasers. Make sure you kill his 3 locations as simultaneously as possible because the eyes will rip through you box and all.

As soon as you have exposed the core go flying and keep a lot of distance from him and just poke him to death.

oh, solar eruption of course and make sure your poo poo is warding or armored.

Need to get a bit lucky/skilled with the lasers in the second mode too. He's not that hard when you use the box tactic tbh.

Expert mode ofc.

Or just git gud:
https://youtu.be/xarud63JW5Y

IntelligibleChoir
Mar 3, 2009
So now that our multiplayer server is dying down I thought I'd upload a bunch of the highlights.

When we first got into the game we immediately started building a monstrosity near the spawn. People kept tacking towers onto it.

At some point one of our players got frustrated and buit a megabase and a massive hellavator, and we all kind of started expanding below it.
Underneath the base you can see the teleporter network - every room is themed to the area it teleports to. Also there's my ugly meteor apartment, and a giant art gallery. The fishing NPC also gets his own hut.

Two of us built a gaudy cloud mansion adjacent the base.

A UFO hidden on the edge of the map.

Mushroom biome and NPC panic room.

Hospital/spawn area

My friend built a scavenger hunt into the game using signs and other clues - one of the stopoff points was the "lifeboat"

Another was this cute little rocket

Super attractive bubblegum hallowed building.

Boss/moon arena

IntelligibleChoir
Mar 3, 2009

Network Pesci posted:

I'm having a problem where my roommate can't connect to my Terraria server on his laptop, but my buddy who lives a few blocks away can connect just fine. My roommate and I are running the GOG.com version, and the other guy is running the Steam version. I don't know.

Probably a dumb question, but your roommate is using the local IP right?

IntelligibleChoir
Mar 3, 2009

Network Pesci posted:

Hey, maybe to you that's a dumb question, but it was the solution to my problem. Thanks! He said he was connecting to my IP, it didn't even occur to me he was looking at the external IP but that's exactly what was going on. Working fine now.

Haha don't worry, I'm pretty sure everyone has done that at some point.

IntelligibleChoir
Mar 3, 2009
So now that we are done with terraria, can anyone suggest any similar (non-starbound) multiplayer explore-y games? My partner and I are bored.

IntelligibleChoir
Mar 3, 2009
Yeah it was kind of a shame because in 1.2 fishron put up a good fight and felt like a pretty well-balanced boss. He was the only one that didn't need much of an expert boost - but now he's on par with the moon lord. I built a teleport mine cart in the ocean biome and used a sniper rifle with chlorophyte bullets to kill him.

Also his tendancy to despawn if you blink is infuriating. The fact that you can discourage him from doing this by using a sniper scope is dumb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

IntelligibleChoir
Mar 3, 2009

No Safe Word posted:

You can also click the debuff to turn it off but yeah R is the easiest

Logging out and logging back in again also works.