Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

10/10 best update, it's an entire chest in size.

Drops from blood moon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
It has some decent bosses and cool item additions that are pretty well balanced and helps smooth out progression.
The wiki is very well kept http://thoriummod.gamepedia.com/Thorium_Mod_Wiki

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
Modding chat because people always eventually ask what works well together.
code:
HERO's Mod v0.2.0.2
Recipe Browser v0.6.1.3
Fargo's Mutant Mod: Summons and Souls v0.16.2
Calamity Mod v1.3.1.1
Reduced Grinding v4.24
MaxStackPlus v3.2
Magic Storage v0.4.3.1
Tremor Mod Remastered v1.3.2.7
Spirit Mod v1.3.3.1
Wing Slot v1.3.2
Thorium Mod v1.4.3.8
Simple Auto Chests v1.0.1
Boss Checklist v0.1.5.3
MoreAccesories+ v2.1
Crystilium v11.3.1.5
Which Mod Is This From? v2.4
OmniSwing v1.9.1
Lunar Deconstructor v0.2.0.1
Pumpking's Mod v1.1.3.1
The pack I just recently finished playing through on and off for a while. Very quickly reaches insanity levels of breaking the game if you specialize so I highly suggest expert or revengeance(from calamity) mode if you don't want everything to become completely trivial.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

I Said No posted:

It's not THAT HERO, is it? What does his mod do, have a gigantic tantrum in public?

No idea who he is! It's just a simple cheat mod that makes spawning in items, manipulating time, spawns, etc really easy for messing around. Tons of toggles and really well done so I dunno.

Also n'thing the Calamity bug thing. Never ran into anything like that on my play through.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Apr 17, 2018

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

graynull posted:

Is Revengeance mode for Calamity recommended? I'll just be playing solo so I wasn't sure how useful/balanced it is for that.

I've been playing through Revengeance solo and besides a bit of early hardship it has been smooth since. If you're already comfortable with expert the jump to rev isn't nearly as big and mainly consists of more boss hp and tweaked attacks. The extra items are also pretty neat. It also gives you the option to toggle Death mode on/off for even harder bosses if that's your thing.

Absolutely not recommended if you haven't beaten/and or are comfortable with the vanilla game on expert before.

E: One thing I love about Rev mode is that it just showers you in money because fully modded weapons and gear are essential.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 05:30 on May 26, 2018

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

grimcreaper posted:

It has some fun stuff attached but the stupid insanity meter thing is reallyfucking annoying

Insanity was removed for exactly that reason.
It was replaced by two new bars that instead of causing debuffs are used to trigger direct damage buffs on demand: One raises from taking damage and the other is triggered by not taking damage during a boss fight for a period of time.

The old version sucked, new version is fun.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
Plantera is one of the easiest bosses in the game with a bit of setup: Two teleporters, a long thin(charactersized) corridor about one and a half screens wide and some cable. A timer to automatically fire the teleporter every second if you're feeling fancy. Fire away with ranged weapon of choice while teleporting from one side to the other.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
Large World Enabler for Terracustom is the best option currently for larger maps.

Just don't go overboard or it'll run out of memory.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
A Terraria 2 that was an exact clone of 1 but 64bit so there wasn't a 4gb memory cap would be an instant purchase for me.

With a higher memory allocation you could actually run maps large enough to make use of intricate biomes all doing their own things.

E: Vanilla terraria is 2gb capped with TML upping it to 4gb.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Dec 31, 2018

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
Sounds perfect to pair with a revengeance death mode magic only run.
I can already feel the pain.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
For people who like playing with a lot of mods there's an experimental 64bit tmodloader. Not being limited to 4gb of ram is a huge change.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Black August posted:

Can I ask what this does and makes possible?

Person took the normal 32bit tmodloader and did something crazy. It's all witchcraft to me how they did it.

The biggest perk is that you can now use, say, a bunch of big mods that add biomes on top of Large World Enabler. One of the biggest problems before with lots of added biomes was how they all got squished together.

Just in general though it'll make large mod lists more stable because you won't run out of ram, and I'd assume some crazy people will take advantage of it and start making mods designed around the 64bit stuff.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Katsuma posted:

There's an AlchemistNPC Lite version available on the mod browser that just has a few extra NPCs like the Brewer, Young Brewer, Musician, and so on, as well as a few handy recipes for new and useful potions, and leaves all the meme garbage and sidegrade gear in the bin. Use that one instead.

I do have a question though. When I play Terraria, I'm almost always playing with friends who live overseas. For things like vanilla content and Thorium, we're able to cope okay. Teamwork, good gear, and reasonably competent play are enough to overcome the dodging and reaction problems that come from latency. I've never tried Calamity, though, and everything I've heard about it boils down to "Bullet Hell bosses demanding perfect play with razor-thin margins of error." My question is, is playing Calamity all the way through even possible when I or my friends may be looking at 125ms latency in the best case? If not, are we able to compensate with gear from Fargo's Souls/Enchantments mods and Thorium and the like?

Kind of a tangent question, but does Calamity play well with Thorium? Thorium introduces Bard, Healer, and Throwing classes, and I was interested in trying them on my next run, but I'm also keen to try Calamity, and it'd suck if I just plain ran out of gear progression well short of the end.

For Calamity unless you're playing the hardest mode (Death) you're generally going to be okay if you're gear ready and know the game well enough. For latency there's only a few really bad bosses that are true bullet hells and of those only the last boss is truly extreme in that getting hit too many times makes you instantly lose. Fargo's collections can mitigate near everything except said last boss.

Thorium plays fine with calamity and stays on par gear-wise until moonlord. Afterwards you'll be running near pure calamity weapons and gear (and Fargo's).

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Fruits of the sea posted:

So I watched this for about 10 episodes, in which time they managed to build a hellevator, and die, a lot. Half of which is due to hellevator mishaps, and the other half being that they are still rocking copper swords and wooden yo-yos.

The (original) members of the yogscast are notoriously lazy and inept WoW goons. Temper your expectations accordingly and enjoy the comedy of it all.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
Last modded playthrough I did which was lastyear-ish had:
Boss Checklist - Self-explanatory
Calamity - Massive content mod with custom difficulties, completely revamped bosses, weapons, armours, etc
Crystilium - Biome, Items, Bosses
Fargo's Mod - Massive amounts of upgrade chains for accessories leading to wildly overpowered stuff at the end. Also includes npcs, craftable infinite ammo for most consumables, and other knickknacks.
FKBoss Health Bar - Self-explanatory
HERO's Mod - Debug/Console type UI. Useful in modded for when things break.
ItemChecklist - Self-explanatory
Magic Storage - Amazingly simple storage system allowing you to link special chest blocks together into a single interface. Essential, imo.
MaxStackPlus - Self-explanatory
OmniSwing - Makes all (supported) weapons hold to swing constantly. Essential for your fingers.
Player Health Mana Bar - Self-explanatory
Pumpking - Items and light content
Recipe Browser - Searchable list of every recipe (including modded ones). Essential
Reduced Grinding - Increased drop rates of some of the more stupidly rare things.
Simple Auto Chests - Source of infinitely generating items after a high initial cost for each type.
Spirit Mod - Biome, Bosses, Items, Armours
The Deconstructor - Building item that breaks down items into their components for a price
ThoriumMod - Big content mod with weapons, armours, accessories, etc. Routinely buggy (or was at the time)
Tremor - Another content mod.
WingSlot - An extra utility slot just for wings
WhatModIsThisFrom - Simply tells you what mod the item you're hovering over is from. Essential on heavily modded games.

If you decide to also run Fargo's + Calamity I'd suggest running Expert at minimum. Revengeance you'll eventually scale past and Death Mode if you want a challenge.

E: Awful way to start a new page.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Jun 21, 2019

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Zereth posted:

... Eh? I think that's new. Last time I played Calamity they certainly weren't in.

Can't be too new as I remember getting them all last year from the boss.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
Split duplication is still the only way to dupe liquids afaik. You can have a single source hit a block, split, then both of those new flows to split and repeat until bored to speed it up though.

Haven't played that pack so no idea if you have the ability to terraform yet and create a multi-tiered dupe tank which would be the first place I'd start.

Rynoto fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Jun 26, 2019

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
Yeah considering that the guide's entire purpose is to be brutally murdered to progress I'd say it's not a flattering inclusion.

Also I'm now gripped with the desire to do another modded run but also eyeing the 1.4 release. But then all the mods would have to be updated and :ohdear:

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

FirstAidKite posted:

I decided to try expert mode for the first time and I just keep dying over and over and over.

Early game expert is by far the hardest period and you are pretty much required to abuse mechanics as much as possible. Arenas and kill pits, potions, bombs, and throwables are your bread and butter for a while. Fossil Armor is a fantastic early, easy to get armour set to complement throwing/ranged as well.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Kanos posted:

Terraria has had "this is the last update ever, we mean it this time" happen like 3 times.

The 'penultimate' update mix-up turned out to be prescient. Not that I will ever complain.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
The 64bit TML experimental could run some truly huge maps but it eats ram like candy.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
Just lock your NPCs away in well-appointed prison cells. For their own good.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
Calamity is best played with Fargo's Mod (eternity mode on). Gods fighting gods in the endgame.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
There was(is?) a mod that allowed for extra large worlds but would quickly run into memory issues, especially if any other mods were running.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009

Fruits of the sea posted:

Calamity trip report: I really dig some of the new toys but not so wild about how it hands you shortcuts for a lot of the early/mid-game key items. I guess it wants the player to be able to tackle tough fights right from the start (and some of the vanilla bosses are a lot more challenging), but I'm a carebear who enjoys spending hours building pretty houses in between looking for a metal detector or whatever, so the progression feels totally rushed.

Have fun. If you aren't constantly making sure to be at the absolute peak of readiness with potions and perfect gear then you're in for a rough time. And even then it's still rough. Get the patch that lets you play it on Master Mode as well if you really hate yourself.